Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i didnt go to Mass!

Options
  • 24-12-2014 7:08pm

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actually believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There's stil time!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

It's only just after 6pm. Most masses are from 8pm onwards I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Still plenty of time to get a mass in somewhere. There is mass in the morning as well anyway. You need to keep god happy, he cares about these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ya have a whole day and evening to go. Relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Christmas eve and I never went to Mass. Must be the first year ever. Am not religious and am probably an atheist as don't actually believe in a God.
    However being in Ireland and having a religious grandmother who brought my family up, it's kind of a traditional more than anything else.
    Did you go or did you slip it. Is it even relevant anymore.

Not in at least 25-30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

There's an open invite for me to join the family at 8 mass. I'm going for a walk to Salthill to try and see the ISS (overhead at 7!), so I might call in on the way back. Maybe. They might be signing carols or something. Or more likely the thought of a hot whiskey will steer me past it and back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am absolutely shocked op I have no words.
    Just shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I'm going in the morning. Don't give a toss about mass or religion but I like going on Christmas to meet friends and family. There's a nice atmosphere around the place on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I went to midnight mass.....at 5pm :o

I didn't really i lied :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, you won't be getting any presents off Santa this year OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Just putting it out there but how about instead of going to mass and giving donations to a multimillion euro tax free society you take a few old wooly jumpers and old coats and wooly socks and head around your local town giving them to the homeless.
    If God exists he won't be mad and if he dosent exist you've just performed your first random act of kindness.

Happy holidays to all, what ever you do or don't believe.

PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I haven't been to mass at Christmas since 1999. I usually just catch the Father Ted Christmas Special instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You're a thundering disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OP,

You're going to make baby Jesus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Havent gone in years. Rest of the family headed off so I get time to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I haven't been in 15 odd years. Plenty of time to go if you want to OP but if you feel its not for you that's okay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Careful now down with that sort of thing.....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Haven't been since around 2000. Total waste of time considering I don't believe a word of it.

It's 11:30..... Does there actually be mass at midnight and if so, wouldn't everyone be quite merry after a few bevies on Xmas eve?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The big magic man in the sky will not be pleased:mad:

Mass in on RTE1 now, live from St Mel's Cathedral in Longford. Mel Gibson's mother was from Longford, so she named him after the parish. Imagine naming your child after a parish.

It's a good thing she wasn't from Cabinteely - he'd be called Bridget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

At the last minute decided to go to 7.30pm Vigil mass ............church was packed and many did not have seating .

Went on for about 45 mins and there were two money collections - don't know why .

Probably won't be there again till Easter.

Went on for about 45 mins and there were two money collections - don't know why .

The second time the basket comes around, you have to take your change.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

It's ok, there's still plenty of time to get ready for 6AM mass tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

For those who said they haven't attended in years. By Mass, do you include funerals, weddings & baptisms? Surely, you would have had to attend one of the above in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Berserker wrote: »
    For those who said they haven't attended in years. By Mass, do you include funerals, weddings & baptisms? Surely, you would have had to attend one of the above in the last 15 years.

I suppose you'd just count regular Mass that you go to of your own volition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

I have never been to a midnight mass in my life , My parents were cool like that we ate our selection boxes and watched TV in front of a roaring fire when everyone was in a cold church catching cold's with the peace be with you handshake and partaking in cannibalism and drinking blood :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Spoiler: They turn bread into JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Never in my life been to Christmas mass.

Advertisement