Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thinly disguised IBEC 'survey' by any chance?

Shock horror - employee takes sick day! National disaster planning engaged :rolleyes:

News flash - people do get occasionally sick - genuinely.

But also sometimes ...

CbWAWQB.png

Btw Is it just me or does the colour scheme on the graph look a bit odd? The colour coding for zero and 5+ looks identical to me ... Maybe I need a day off to see the eye doctor;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

None. and no holidays either.. Hence why i have been off since the 1st Dec till the 15th Jan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I hope he did not not as that would be idiotic

Depends very much on your company's sick policy. I don't get paid for sick leave.

In a job I had a few years back, no sick pay. I needed a minor operation that would leave me in pain for a few days, so I used some annual leave to cover it, so that I'd still be paid.

Making sure I get paid isn't idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

2 sick days in 5 years. And one of those I worked part of the day at home.
    Always feel guilty if I'm off sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

None taken. Have had 3 days off that I took for a music festival and a wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never taken any before this year but lots this year.
    Hopefully none next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

2 this year. Most in a long time. Plague!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've had a handful. I suffer badly with my back, and when that begins to weaken, I don't move anywhere! Its better for me to take , day or two off in a row, to rest it, rather than it completely go and I'm off for a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

1, and I wasn't even sick. Went to disneysea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've been working in the current job for the last 4 years and I haven't taken a sick day yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Zero.. I never take sick days which is surprising as I have an office/desk job, drive everywhere, bad diet/like junk food and sweets too much, and am not a gym bunny yet despite that I'm about average build and rarely get more than a cold once/twice a year. Crazy metabolism and immune system FTW :)

I don't use all of my holiday days either though until it comes time to use em or lose em - but then being able to work from home or take time off as needed helps.. I don't abuse it though - in fact I'm usually in the office by half 7 every day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been in current job about 3 years, have left once to go home early due to feeling ill in all that time. So about one 1/2 day off in total.

Last time really ill was with Laryngitis just over 3 years okay. Went on antibiotics, and just tried toget through it. Loads of fluids, the antibiotics, paracetamol, vit c, and rested my voice as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

0 days this year. I am with the same company 10 years now and I have 4 days taken in 10 years.

I try not to take any sick days, it is just not in me to take days off for minor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Zero. Havent been sick, unless you count Man Flu. But I soldiered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I think I should get both parachutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

none. in 6 years I've taken three absences.

On two of those I was actually hospitalised.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Last sick day was in June 2012. It's amazing how many people are not sick the day before they go out sick, or the day after they go out sick but still say they were dying when they were off. It's amazing how many people treat a certain number of sick days a year as an extension of their annual leave entitlements. It's not a mentality I can understand, and this is coming from someone who has never really particularly liked any job I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I don't even know what a sick day is. I died once and I still went to work and then three days later I took annual leave to attend my own funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

5starpool wrote: »
    Last sick day was in June 2012. It's amazing how many people are not sick the day before they go out sick, or the day after they go out sick but still say they were dying when they were off. It's amazing how many people treat a certain number of sick days a year as an extension of their annual leave entitlements. It's not a mentality I can understand, and this is coming from someone who has never really particularly liked any job I've been in.

Couldn't you just enjoy your good health without being so sanctimonious about it?

I'd frickin love to have had no sick days this year. As my unviable pregnancy resulted in all sorts of problems for my reproductive system, this unfortunately wasn't possible.

I didn't take a day's leave that wasn't necessary; fortunately the people I work for were very understanding.

You're so lucky that you didn't need sick leave. Couldn't you just be appreciative of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Couldn't you just be appreciative of that?

It's a thread about sick leave. It's not Facebook where everyone is nice to your face.

Sorry you've been ill/had complications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Family business. No sickies in 15 years. I was actually sick enough for 2 or 3 days sicky a few years ago. Worst non flu dose I ever had. I was in bits. The problem was that we all became infected by the same dose at the same time and despite it being the worst dose I ever had, I was actually the only family/staff member not totally bedridden. So not only did I have to work while feeling nearly the worst I'd ever felt, I also had to do everyone else's shift too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

Well it is definitely a mentality I can understand…and I am delighted that I can understand it! If your boss, co-workers, pretty much the majority in work is taking these days of then why shouldn't you, especially since you said you never particularly enjoyed any job you are in…enjoy yourself a bit, its not all about work!

Due to a lot of folk in my place taking the micky with "mondayitis", they changed our sick leave entitlements across the board so now the first three days you're out you don't get paid. People taking the piss ruined it for people who are genuinely sick.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Couldn't you just enjoy your good health without being so sanctimonious about it?

I'd frickin love to have had no sick days this year. As my unviable pregnancy resulted in all sorts of problems for my reproductive system, this unfortunately wasn't possible.

I didn't take a day's leave that wasn't necessary; fortunately the people I work for were very understanding.

You're so lucky that you didn't need sick leave. Couldn't you just be appreciative of that?

I'm not saying people shouldn't take sick leave, I'm saying people shouldn't take sick leave when they aren't sick. That's not being sanctimonious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

A lot of posters here seem to assume everyone has the luxury of paid sick leave! If you don't, and you have annual leave days to take, of course it makes sense to use annual leave and get paid rather than being out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

It only becomes an issue in my job if you have two absences within 12 weeks. Once it goes week 13 its a fresh start so naturally everyone classes these as free days. Obviously everyone else has to cover that person for the day but its accepted because we all do it. If they treated us a bit better maybe they wouldn't have such a big issue with 'sickness'

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    A lot of posters here seem to assume everyone has the luxury of paid sick leave! If you don't, and you have annual leave days to take, of course it makes sense to use annual leave and get paid rather than being out of pocket.

The example earlier in the thread was for a child who needed to go to hospital. You are fully entitled to a paid day off for that - neither sick leave, nor holidays should need to be used. But yes, otherwise I agree, a lot of people can't afford to be without a days wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Mousewar wrote: »
    I don't even know what a sick day is. I died once and I still went to work and then three days later I took annual leave to attend my own funeral.

It's the least you could do. :D
    Although could you have arranged for the funeral to take place at a time, or on a day you weren't due to work? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Zero this year but ironically I am feeling ill today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The example earlier in the thread was for a child who needed to go to hospital. You are fully entitled to a paid day off for that - neither sick leave, nor holidays should need to be used. But yes, otherwise I agree, a lot of people can't afford to be without a days wages.

Thats not the case. Many employers will offer force majeure leave and you will get the day paid subject to approval on written application once you are back in work, but there is no automatic entitlement at all. Id say annual leave is most commonly used by parents in those circumstances.

Advertisement