Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

micar wrote: »
    have not taken a sick day on over 7 years.

So when your sick, you just come in and spread your germs and infect even more people; thereby reducing productivity even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

micar wrote: »
    have not taken a sick day on over 7 years.
    NZ_2014 wrote: »
    So when your sick, you just come in and spread your germs and infect even more people; thereby reducing productivity even more.

I never feel sh1ty enough to have to take the day off. Am just very healthy.

Get the odd cold but never really the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Zero.For me a sick day means a no pay day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

gozunda wrote: »
    Online so not written on paper obviously ;) but certainly better than nothing as proffered otherwise. I will take it you believe absolutely no one accounts on this thread then? Ha you do work in HR!

I believe the accounts on here. The mistake would be to think they are representative.

For example, extreme to make a point, put up a public poll asking if anyone is a paedophile. You will get pretty near universal denials of such. Would it be representative of society as a whole? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

No sick day in 18 months. Used to have a few every year before. All drink related of course. Have a bit of cop on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

25. Been a crap year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

mikemac1 wrote: »
    How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The example earlier in the thread was for a child who needed to go to hospital. You are fully entitled to a paid day off for that - neither sick leave, nor holidays should need to be used. But yes, otherwise I agree, a lot of people can't afford to be without a days wages.

I wasn't aware that I had this, I didnt realise I was entitled to any money for days off . That's why I was chuffed , I have a family to support and a child on the way and loads of holidays to burn . As it happened my child was in hospital for over a week so it didn't really make much difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

smcgiff wrote: »
    I believe the accounts on here. The mistake would be to think they are representative.

For example, extreme to make a point, put up a public poll asking if anyone is a paedophile. You will get pretty near universal denials of such. Would it be representative of society as a whole? No.

As surveys go it is a fairly random sample of the population of boards imo. Any sampling or inherent stratification in any survey will produce variant results especially when the population is small. However this does not mean that the resulting data is not useful. As long as we are aware of these limitations we can use such data as a snapshot in time of attitudes or declared actions. Whilst it may have limitations certainly such a survey is more useful than no statistics whatsoever ...

Good grief are you seriously comparing a survey looking for self declaration of a day sick or otherwise from the working population with a self declaration as a socially deviant sub grouping of paedophiles Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

I spent the whole 7 years in my first job (16-23) without one single sick day. Worked wed - Sunday, after college, evenings and weekends. College was 9-4.30, home for dinner - work at 6, till 10. Out Friday and Sat nights. Always turned up for work on sat and Sunday.

The older I got, the more sense I got. I work hard. Very hard!!! And I'm neither appreciated or paid enough.

Do I take the odd (up to 6) paid sick days a year. I'll let ye guess...

• Advertisement

Whilst it may have limitations certainly such a survey is more useful than no statistics whatsoever ...

It's 100% accurate as what boards.ie will answer to such a question. As for a representation of society as a whole it's pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

:confused:

What? You took a sick day as annual leave? Jesus - why would you do that? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

I didn't realise I was entitled to force majeure, at that point anyway, I have a family to support and had a baby on the way, I couldn't afford to lose a couple of days pay, turned out to be over a week and I had loads of holidays to take. So really looking back that wasn't so stupid was it .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

From 5th February to 12th April

It's 100% accurate as what boards.ie will answer to such a question. As for a representation of society as a whole it's pretty useless.

No survey where the sample is limited is ever 'representative of society as a whole' :rolleyes: this doesn't mean such surveys are not taken and used in many situations. Rather than dishing the current survey results it would be more advantageous to offer statistics countering the findings here.

No survey where the sample is limited is ever 'representative of society as a whole' :rolleyes: this doesn't such surveys been taken and used in many situations. Rather than dishing the current survey results it would be more advantageous to offer statistics countering the findings here.

Grand, you've accepted this poll is not representative. Case closed.

Grand, you've accepted this poll is not representative. Case closed.

Such survey are stil useful and much used as clearly stated. You have now spent n+1 posts arguing that posters statements are valueless - now perhaps you can come down and present the copious statistics you claimed to be aware showing 'lots of' people taking sick days left, right and centre :rolleyes:

Such survey are stil useful and much used as clearly stated. You have now spent n+1 posts arguing that posters statements are valueless - now perhaps you can come down and present the copious statistics you claimed to be aware showing 'lots of' people taking sick days left, right and centre :rolleyes:

If the stated use is clearly stated as useless then I agree with you.

And why miss this fun? You're defending a self selecting boards poll. That plus more posters admitting to taking sickies. Gold.

If the stated use is clearly stated as useless then I agree with you.

And why miss this fun? You're defending a self selecting boards poll. That plus more posters admitting to taking sickies. Gold.

And in an attempt to win an unwinnable argument you have compared a survey asking for a declaration of sick days to a declaration of paedophilea. Lovely! I've had enough ... Thanks anyway :rolleyes:

And in an attempt to win an unwibable argument you have compared a survey asking for a declaration of sick days to a declaration of paedophilea. Lovely! I've had enough ... Thanks anyway :rolleyes:

:pac:

None and today is my last day of work.

I have a cold coming on so I might be sick on my holidays: what are the odds of that? 1000:1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Homerbailon

None

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

None and today is my last day of work.

I have a cold coming on so I might be sick on my holidays: what are the odds of that? 1000:1?

Way less, when you take into account weekends and public holidays and annual leave ... closer to a one in four chance, really.

Advertisement