Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options

Comments

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats not the case. Many employers will offer force majeure leave and you will get the day paid subject to approval on written application once you are back in work, but there is no automatic entitlement at all. Id say annual leave is most commonly used by parents in those circumstances.

It's the law.
    Force majeure leave

If you have a family crisis the Parental Leave Acts 1998 and 2006 give an employee a limited right to leave from work. This is known as force majeure leave. It arises where, for urgent family reasons, the immediate presence of the employee is indispensable owing to an injury or illness of a close family member.

Force majeure leave does not give any entitlement to leave following the death of a close family member.

A close family member is defined as one of the following:
    •A child or adopted child of the employee
    •The husband, wife or partner of the employee
    •Parent or grandparent of the employee
    •Brother or sister of the employee
    •Person to whom the employee has a duty of care (that is, he/she is acting in loco parentis)
    •A person in a relationship of domestic dependency with the employee, including a same-sex partner (since 18 May 2006)
    •Persons of any other class (if any) as may be prescribed

The maximum amount of leave is 3 days in any 12-month period or 5 days in a 36-month period. You are entitled to be paid while you are on force majeure leave - see 'How to apply' below for more details. Your employer may grant you further leave.

You are protected against unfair dismissal for taking force majeure leave or proposing to take it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats not the case. Many employers will offer force majeure leave and you will get the day paid subject to approval on written application once you are back in work, but there is no automatic entitlement at all. Id say annual leave is most commonly used by parents in those circumstances.

Don't many places have unpaid parental leave that can be used for those days as well? Force Majuere days would not be the norm in most places I'd imagine.

Edit: I wasn't aware it was something legally covered like the link above says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Zero this year but ironically I am feeling ill today.

Well it is Christmas Eve Eve Eve. They really shouldn't be making you work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

:confused:

What? You took a sick day as annual leave? Jesus - why would you do that? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

He was "well chuffed" too that his manager 'allowed' him to do that. The mentality of some of these dopes is breathtaking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

smcgiff wrote: »
    It's a thread about sick leave. It's not Facebook where everyone is nice to your face.

Sorry you've been ill/had complications.

Too be honest I think the poster had a valid point. Going by this thread - there are few individuals treating sick days as an "extension of their annual leave entitlements"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

If I am feeling ill, I take the time off to recover. I have had two bouts of flu this year and got doctor's cert for both periods. If my colleagues are ill, they do the same. Common sense prevails, not a competition to see who gets into the Guinness Book of Records for the least number of sick days in one's career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

gozunda wrote: »
    Too be honest I think the poster had a valid point. Going by this thread - there are few individuals taking excess sick days.

A lot of people take paid sick leave when not sick, especially where others in their department do it. Then it's almost seen as a right. It's a known fact of life.

Of course people who are genuinely sick or even very ill with prolonged illnesses won't want to be tarred with the same brush.

But there's no point denying reality, just as there are some rightly proud they have a very good record of not taking sick leave. You're going to get more of these people replying on this thread than those admitting to abusing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Kinda 1. Had to take sick leave for a hospital test that took ages to get on the medical card.

I have had two bouts of flu this year and got doctor's cert for both periods.

You got two different strains of the flu in the same year? That must be very rare. I think I've gotten the flu once in my life. Lots of bad colds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One thing that drives me mad is when people come to work when they're very obviously sick with a cold/virus/flu.

You get one person doing that, trying to be the hero and they end up making everyone around them sick. Which ultimately has more of an impact on the team than if they had just taken a sick day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Vomiting bug, so one this year. I think that's only my second in 11 years though.

Now that I think of it, I didn't come into the office, but I was working from home, so I guess it's not even a real sick day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lost my arms and legs in an accident but still managed to roll into work in order to preserve my spotless record of honour.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

anncoates wrote: »
    Lost my arms and legs in an accident but still managed to roll into work in order to preserve my spotless record of honour.

Am I doing this right?

That depends...were you late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Am I doing this right?

Only if you had already taken a conference call while rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Am I doing this right?

If you worked for me I'd only pay you for a half day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you worked for me I'd only pay you for a half day

At least you'd stump that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2 or 3 probably this year, don't remember tbh. I only call in sick if I'm actually sick and I don't keep track of it. It's probably 2 or 3 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

12 days, Broke my collarbone, went back to work when I could manage to dress myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

None. I've been properly sick once all year and that was on a day off. Correction. Last two years. If it wasn't that recent tummy bug I was starting to think I might have some kind of super power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

seamus wrote: »
    2 or 3 probably this year, don't remember tbh. I only call in sick if I'm actually sick and I don't keep track of it. It's probably 2 or 3 days a year.

Living in the past, we have fancy graphs showing when we are off, sick etc.

Our policy is if you have a cold it is better to have one person off than have everybody sick.
    So only have of us get sick in the end! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I had real life flu followed by tonsillitis early in the year and had to take a week off. I could have done with two weeks tbh.

What's a real life flu?are you a cartoon?

3 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

crazygeryy wrote: »
    What's a real life flu?are you a cartoon?

3 days.

I imagine they mean that everybody calls any sniffles/cold they get a flu, when the real thing is very different and debilitating.

I imagine they mean that everybody calls any sniffles/cold they get a flu, when the real thing is very different and debilitating.

And KILLS thousands of people each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

4 for a ruptured disk in my back.
    2 for migraine.

2 of the most painful things I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

None this year.

Three days sick since the beginning of 2000. One of those was for minor surgery.

I sometimes fell unwell at weekends but am recovered by Monday. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Between 5 and 10 I would say, like most years. It might be more like 6. My sick days are always of the 'one day off variety' (the suspicious type, in other words). I either bounce back from whatever it is or I am home rocking back and forth going "I cant go back there". I am self employed tho so only hurting myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

o1s1n wrote: »
    One thing that drives me mad is when people come to work when they're very obviously sick with a cold/virus/flu.

You get one person doing that, trying to be the hero and they end up making everyone around them sick,. Which ultimately has more of an impact on the team than if they had just taken a sick day.

Absolutely. Stay the fcuk at home with your manky dose and don't be infecting the rest of us. I have no time for people who come in when they are sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

5starpool wrote: »
    Last sick day was in June 2012. It's amazing how many people are not sick the day before they go out sick, or the day after they go out sick but still say they were dying when they were off. It's amazing how many people treat a certain number of sick days a year as an extension of their annual leave entitlements. It's not a mentality I can understand, and this is coming from someone who has never really particularly liked any job I've been in.

On the other side of that coin, very few employers reward you for not taking any sick days per year. You are just a number at the end of the day, if you need a mental health day theres no harm in my view in faking a few sick days. It can actually do you a lot of good if you are under some stress at work etc, gives you time to recharge the batteries. People who are "company men/women" dont always win the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I think I've taken 2 and even then I think I'm overstating it.

I have gone to work sick and all. I only call call in if I am physically getting sick. I hate pulling a dodgey sicky and it really irks me when other people do it. There is a couple in here that the mick and call in sick when they're told they can't have a days holidays or call in sick ofr a week but still see them in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

smcgiff wrote: »
    A lot of people take paid sick leave when not sick, especially where others in their department do it. Then it's almost seen as a right. It's a known fact of life.

Of course people who are genuinely sick or even very ill with prolonged illnesses won't want to be tarred with the same brush.

But there's no point denying reality, just as there are some rightly proud they have a very good record of not taking sick leave. You're going to get more of these people replying on this thread than those admitting to abusing the system.

"A lot of people"? Where do you get that round figure? But exactly how many is "a lot"? If we go with the sub sample of this thread - I would estimate that in fact it's not 'a lot'. Ime the individuals who mainly give this line are HR people who's aim is to make everyone believe the workers are a load of shirkers, who take time of at a drop of a hat and are generally a bunch of ungrateful wenches.,:rolleyes:

Going back in time to a different era and In my own practical experience the worst sectors for sick leave was the public sector and not the private sector but I think that has now changed.? Most employees in the private sector can't afford to take time off sick under existing working conditions.

Advertisement