Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options
  • 21-12-2014 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

The year is almost over, anyone want to share. :)

I have taken one during the summer. I wasn't sick tbh but I couldn't get any annual leave and hadn't had a day off from my office drone job in 4 months. Worked a lot of weekends too. Just called in sick, more for mental health then anything else.

Tbh I think I'll be calling in sick tomorrow. It's genuine I swear. The thing is our work asks for a sick cert if you are out Monday or Friday so I'll have to shell out about 55 euro for it. Oh well

Well, how was your 2014?

how many days were you out sick during 2014? 500 votes

0% 0 votes
    64% 322 votes
    16% 80 votes
    9% 46 votes
    6% 30 votes
    5 and above
    4% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Had to get a doctor's note once because a junior doctor in A&E said my arm would have to be amputated because of an infected finger.
    Quickly got a second opinion and released an hour later so didn't have to use it and was back at work that evening.

Closest I've ever had to a sick day. I'm self employed now so there's no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

About 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

1. I had a vomiting bug. It was actually the first sick day I've ever taken in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I took five this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Zero.

• Advertisement

I had real life flu followed by tonsillitis early in the year and had to take a week off. I could have done with two weeks tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Just the one, gastroenteritis. Last sick day before that was for the same thing in 2012.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Just took part of a day off. Wasn't feeling great but had to come in that morning for a job that was scheduled and couldn't be put off. Went home after about 3 hours.

I'd much rather been in work than home sick. The only time sick trumps work is if you take a recovery day where you're just in bed watching movies and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Took one this year.

Have only ever pulled 1 false sickie in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

None. Not that we get paid for taking a day off due to illness in my workplace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

None.

Went home two hours early once, because I was in bits with a chest infection, viral infection and kidney infection. I was signed off sick for two weeks, but they had no cover, so i got two hours off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A Phd researcher said to me back in June that she'd had a horrible day because her Manager pulled her up on the 5 days sick leave she'd already taken that year. I met her most days during that time and don't ever remember her being sick, slight sniffle maybe.

She couldn't understand why she was being treated like that. She wasn't impressed when I took her manager's side.

She's late twenties, but it's her first job and so may still have the student mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have had none in 11 years,

Changed jobs this year, from a job that pays 6 months full pay sick leave in 4 year period, to not a jot, limbs would have to be hanging off....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

When I'm not there all my colleagues have to cover for me as well as do their own work so zero sick days in four years. Iv been very fortunate though, thank god, and haven't been sick enough to stay off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Up to my retirement I had a run of 32 years without sick leave. Just lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

None, but I did work at home because I had a cold one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Haven't taken any this year :). Couple bof holiday days but thats it. Ah everyone needs a break now and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Never took a sick day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My flawless career absentee record was abolished this year by taking 1 sick day :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

1. I get very bad migraines, so would usually have 4 or 5 days a year where I feel like paying someone to just cut my head off. But my GP put me on a new contraceptive pill, and that's really mellowed the headaches amazingly well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

3 days because I went into hospital for a minor operation but no "sick" days

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have not had a single sick day pulled since I started working. 9 years and counting. Sometimes I wish I could get one of those "mysterious" bugs, that I sow so many people get for one day or weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Been nearly seven years in my job and only taken one sick day (and was using that to take care of a sick relative).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

3 days because I went into hospital for a minor operation but no "sick" days

That makes no sence or are you saying "sick" days are people playing a joke. As a person who had awful trouble with migraines this year i take offence to that

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

That makes no sence or are you saying "sick" days are people playing a joke. As a person who had awful trouble with migraines this year i take offence to that

Often people just faking it, I know from experience….Why not take some off if you are getting paid for it anyway and everyone else is doing the same. Also they were not talking about you directly so no need to be offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

zero I think - this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Zero sick days so far this year, but two months compassionate time off.

you have to remember that one persons idea of being sick is different to another's, i can easily do my office job with a head cold, but i can't do my real job due to pressurisation issues. So i can be sick from one job but not from the other for the same head cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I take as many as I can get away with, frankly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

none

if I can walk
    I can go into work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

10, but in my defence I developed a fairly serious skin and muscle infection following an insect bite and was hospitalised for a week.

The last time I took a sick day before this year was in 2000 for an emergency appendectomy!!

Advertisement