Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm off sick today. Think it's hit double figures this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the other side of that coin, very few employers reward you for not taking any sick days per year. You are just a number at the end of the day, if you need a mental health day theres no harm in my view in faking a few sick days. It can actually do you a lot of good if you are under some stress at work etc, gives you time to recharge the batteries. People who are "company men/women" dont always win the race.

I'm about as far from company man as you can get really. I come in, do my work, if I'm less busy I look at boards, etc. for a bit, then go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

gozunda wrote: »
    "A lot of people"? Where do you get that round figure? But exactly how many is "a lot"? If we go with the sub sample of this thread - I would estimate that in fact it's not 'a lot'. Ime the individuals who mainly give this line are HR people who's aim is to make everyone believe the workers are a load of shirkers, who take time of at a drop of a hat and are generally a bunch of ungrateful wenches.,:rolleyes:

Going back in time to a different era and In my own practical experience the worst sectors for sick leave was the public sector and not the private sector but I think that has now changed.? Most employees in the private sector can't afford to take time off sick under existing working conditions.

Thats another sweeping generalization similar to the one you were originally questioning! Going from my own experience, and having worked in the private sector for 6 different companies, in 5 of them the sick leave taken, particularly amongst women, was shocking. It was a cultural thing where sick leave was used the same way as holidays, in that people planned to take x number of days sick when really they were spending the time in a fancy hotel mid week with their OH etc. In my current job, the average sick leave is 8 days per person per year and thats only an average so considering some people take no sick leave, you can see the problem...

But the people who do this are rarely if ever disciplined because we have some pretty spineless bosses at my job who are afraid to upset women who take a lot of sick leave so its just tolerated. Im sure not all places are the same, public or private, but thats my view based on my own workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thats another sweeping generalization similar to the one you were originally questioning! Going from my own experience, and having worked in the private sector for 6 different companies, in 5 of them the sick leave taken, particularly amongst women, was shocking. It was a cultural thing where sick leave was used the same way as holidays, in that people planned to take x number of days sick when really they were spending the time in a fancy hotel mid week with their OH etc. In my current job, the average sick leave is 8 days per person per year and thats only an average so considering some people take no sick leave, you can see the problem...

But the people who do this are rarely if ever disciplined because we have some pretty spineless bosses at my job who are afraid to upset women who take a lot of sick leave so its just tolerated. Im sure not all places are the same, public or private, but thats my view based on my own workplaces.

No I based that on the replies from this thread. Many posters have already stated this. Your "a lot" was very vague - hence my question as to a source for the claim. I appreciate that there are some sectors where sick leave taking may be greater than average. May I ask do you work in HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I only took just the 1 day this year, mainly down to been knackered from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No I based that on the replies from this thread. Many posters have already stated this. Your "a lot" was very vague - hence my question as to a source for the claim. I appreciate that there are some sectors where sick leave taking may be greater than average. May I ask do you work in HR?

No i dont and I personally have never come across any heavy-handed emails or memos from HR about sick leave being only a very last resort; sure, they word in in the company book in such a way that they are not happy if you use it, but some private companies offer v generous sick pay benefits so its not really a surprise when employees take the proverbial. The problem is halfway down to policies and halfway the attitude of the worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I agree with smcgiff and Wanderer2010's comments re "a lot" of sick leave. It is routinely abused in the private sector.

And no - I don't work in HR and I'm not a company man.
    I am actually a trade union representative.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I had 6 certified sick days this week from when I had Shingles.
    I'm on annual leave as from today and am home in bed with a chest infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Took 1 this year. Was out on a Thursday night for a colleague's leaving party. Long story short I ended up getting home at 6am and slept though my alarm. Woke up at 12.30. Still drunk. Called in sick, despite everyone knowing I was out on the piss night before. Luckily the boss took it well and everyone just gave me a bit of a slagging afterwards :P

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I agree with smcgiff and Wanderer2010's comments re "a lot" of sick leave. It is routinely abused in the private sector.

And no - I don't work in HR and I'm not a company man.
    I am actually a trade union representative.

Unfortunately it remains that 'a lot' is anecdotal at best. Contrary to this and in my experience in business and industry especially in the private sector but also based on many of the posts on this thread is that there is not "a lot" of abuse regarding sick leave. As expressed in the thread current work conditions mean that sick leave is frequently unpaid. How many employees can afford to take sick leave where they have family or financial responsibilities?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Unfortunately it remains that 'a lot' is anecdotal at best.

And what are the stories here you're selecting to demonstrate otherwise? I've already said why that is the case. It's the problem with self selecting responses.

There are loads of statistics to show high rates of absenteeism. Am I bothered to find them for you. Check down at the bottom of this post to find out.

No. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

None, if someone is out it puts pressure on the other lads on the floor so i'm not going to ring in sick if there is nothing wrong with me.

I don't believe half the cases of people being out due to "stress" are genuine.

I don't believe half the cases of people being out due to "stress" are genuine.

Gozunda does, at least it's a good time of year to believe in Make Believe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Unfortunately it remains that 'a lot' is anecdotal at best. Contrary to this and in my experience in business and industry especially in the private sector but also based on many of the posts on this thread is that there is not "a lot" of abuse regarding sick leave. As expressed in the thread current work conditions mean that sick leave is frequently unpaid. How many employees can afford to take sick leave where they have family or financial responsibilities?

It's not unpaid in the industry I work in. Therefore you have some people taking the p*ss and making life harder for their colleagues who have to pick up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

None. I wouldn't take one unless I was genuinely immobilized by an illness and, thankfully, that hasn't been the case. Long may it last.

smcgiff wrote: »
    And what are the stories here you're selecting to demonstrate otherwise? I've already said why that is the case. It's the problem with self selecting responses.

A quick recap of the thread will clearly demonstrate what I have already stated. That the majority of posters are evidently not taking the proverbial. See the graph if you just want a quick snapshot. The thread is not overtly long so it is a fairly simple task tbh. I will summarise for you if you wish - as of this post some 70% of posters have taken 1 or less days off sick in 2014.
    There are loads of statistics to show high rates of absenteeism. Am I bothered to find them for you. Check down at the bottom of this post to find out.

Your anticipatory device is really not necessary is it? But yes if you would include some backup then it will help validate your argument. As it your argument remains unfounded. Your choice of course ...

A quick recap of the thread will clearly demonstrate what I have already stated. That the majority of posters are evidently not taking the proverbial. See the graph if you just want a quick snapshot. The thread is not overtly long so it is a fairly simple task tbh. I will summarise for you if you wish - as of this post some 70% of posters have taken 1 or less days off sick in 2014.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're smart enough to be kidding around. I mean you do seem to understand the concept of anecdote, seeing as you mentioned it.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're smart enough to be kidding around. I mean you do seem to understand the concept of anecdote, seeing as you mentioned it.

No no kidding. In this instance we have actual stats from an online survey. Opposing this is offered nothing more than 'lots of' with a rather lazy refusal to point to any back up survey or stats. Indeed.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    It's not unpaid in the industry I work in. Therefore you have some people taking the p*ss and making life harder for their colleagues who have to pick up the slack.

You are fortunate. Paid sick leave is increasingly a rare provision. Those that do not have access to paid sick leave and with financial and family responsibilities would simply be making life more difficult for themselves even where sickness is genuine.

Gozunda does, at least it's a good time of year to believe in Make Believe. :)

Personalise much? ;)

I could but won't bother throwing the same type of rubbish ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Missed few days with knocks from sport/vomitting, then missed all of November(and slight bit more) with injury/illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

5, not bad considering all though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Some super immune systems on this thread. I got a dose at Halloween but continued working. Mistake. Didn't shake it fully and either it or another thing got in on me last week and fcucked me up.

Lots of colleagues out with similar symptoms. I took 3 days. Had a cert for the week but being a stalwart headed in after 3.

But jaysis, if you're sick you're sick. No shame there.

In this instance we have actual stats from an online survey.

Not worth the paper it's written on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Have taken 6 days this year, 7 if you count two days I left halfway through the day, all in the last few weeks and all genuine. I've been very ill all month but I dragged myself in on my not so bad days (not contagious so no risk to colleagues). It's more sick days than I'd had in my whole career previously but when you're sick to near hospitalisation point what can you do.

I've never taken a fake sick day, it'd be a waste of a day for me cos I'd feel too guilty to enjoy it!

Not worth the paper it's written on. :pac:

Online so not written on paper obviously ;) but certainly better than nothing as proffered otherwise. I will take it you believe absolutely no one accounts on this thread then? Ha you do work in HR!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

For one part of the year, no sick days.
    I was self-employed.

For the latter part of the year, I was an employee.
    I took sick days, a rake of holidays, paid proportionately less taxes, and I have my welfare guaranteed.

You do the maths on what's wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

None since starting a job in November 2013. Don't know why I didn't take any to be honest since I still get paid for them! Didn't seem to be acknowledged by my employer so maybe next year will be different.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

All Mondays. I don't like Mondays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

have not taken a sick day on over 7 years.

Advertisement