Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days have you taken from work this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never taken a sick day in my life, but have taken unpaid day for hospital appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Murphy7777 wrote: »
    Often people just faking it, I know from experience….Why not take some off if you are getting paid for it anyway and everyone else is doing the same. Also they were not talking about you directly so no need to be offended

Well he was off for 3 days but not a "sick" day means to me that anyone who takes a sick day is faking it and that to me is offensive to people who have to take off sick days.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

zero - but usually out once or twice a year only if genuinely sick or infectious to others

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had 2 days off with flu (genuine aching bones and feeling like ****) and 3 single days for back ache (which I suffer with regularly)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

5 certified with man flu in Feb
    1 in November with vomiting bug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

None...I haven't been sick this year thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Well he was off for 3 days but not a "sick" day means to me that anyone who takes a sick day is faking it and that to me is offensive to people who have to take off sick days.

You cannot be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I pulled a few sick days when working in the call center this year

Was a job i hated and i applied for another job (which i got)

So I pulled sick days to attend assessment for the job and interviews too.

At one stage i was told because the day i went sick was a friday i needed to get it certified. No problems says i

Went home, onto the laptop, new Microsoft word doc and wrote up a doctors letter to certify the sick day. Also put logos and bits from the HSE and tallaght hospital website.
    Emailed it to myself and printed it off in work on the monday without them noticing !

Went well and nothing was ever said about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

That makes no sence or are you saying "sick" days are people playing a joke. As a person who had awful trouble with migraines this year i take offence to that

I'm pretty sure he means he didn't call in sick. He probably knew about the surgery and booked time off from his annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Closest I've ever had to a sick day. I'm self employed now so there's no such thing.

I hope you're not a chef. Or a plastic surgeon. Or a pilot....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Took Zero days :cool:

A friend of mine is the opposite, hes taken 3 weeks of sick days this year due to back trouble and hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Zero.
    Same here; the company I work for do not pay "sick pay", so you have to claim off the social. I suffer occasionally with my back, and there were certainly days when I shouldn't have been in work. But what can you do? And "get another job" is not an option. Jobs down here in the sticks are rarer than virgin brides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Took 2. Was on my way to work and felt a bit dodgy. Next thing I knew, I was waking up after fainting on the pavement. Said fk this and went home.

Feel bad now with all ye zero sick day guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

None for 8th year in a row!
    Touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

It's been close to five years now since I was off sick. But to be fair, that's just luck. If I was genuinely sick I would stay off for as long as it would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm entitled to 4 uncertified days a year but only took 3 this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

5 or more unfortunately, I had the flu which was a week, and a few bouts of chest infections that got bad enough I couldn't go in

That makes no sence or are you saying "sick" days are people playing a joke. As a person who had awful trouble with migraines this year i take offence to that

Makes perfect sense.

Planned time off for surgery etc usually isn't referred to in the same vein as calling in sick and taking unplanned time off.

Don't be getting so offended because you misunderstood a post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

11 years and haven't had a sick day , back in May my little boy got sick and I had to go to hospital with him because my wife was pregnant and had to pull a sicky , I was gutted , broke my superb record, then my manager asked me if I wanted to take it as holiday as I had a load built up, I was well chuffed .

So it's still going!!

• Advertisement

11 years and haven't had a sick day , back in May my little boy got sick and I had to go to hospital with him because my wife was pregnant and had to pull a sicky , I was gutted , broke my superb record, then my manager asked me if I wanted to take it as holiday as I had a load built up, I was well chuffed .

So it's still going!!

You were done tbh. That should had been a force majeure day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

So it's still going!!

That was, erm, nice of them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I've not had one in 3 years - but only because I've been fortunate enough to not get sick. If your genuinely Ill you shouldn't have to feel bad about taking time off to recover. You're not much good to your organisation if you're sick. But some people really take the pee with it. Common cold is not really an excuse. Flu on the other hand can totally floor you and you need bedrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

So it's still going!!

You do know you are entitled to sick days. Looks like you are wasting them by nit taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

DellyBelly wrote: »
    You do know you are entitled to sick days. Looks like you are wasting them by nit taking them.

Shouldn't be using them for the sake of them.

My mentality anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

So it's still going!!

:confused:

What? You took a sick day as annual leave? Jesus - why would you do that? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Went home early one day this year with a banging migraine, took the following day off too. Only sick time I had off. I work close to where I live so if I do have a sick day I normally have to stay indoors for the entire day so as not to be spotted out around the place.

Makes perfect sense.

Planned time off for surgery etc usually isn't referred to in the same vein as calling in sick and taking unplanned time off.

Don't be getting so offended because you misunderstood a post!!

Okay see your point but it still counts as sick leave. But I get your point.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure he means he didn't call in sick. He probably knew about the surgery and booked time off from his annual leave.

I hope he did not not as that would be idiotic

Advertisement