Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Nire 1-11 0-07 Ballylanders.

Cratloe next at a Clare venue I'm pretty sure. Great win.

Correction, it will be at a Wateford venue according to Munster GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yep it will be a waterford venue ballinacourty played cratloe in ennis last year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

What date is that on? Cratloe are double Clare champions, might run out of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Roanmore wrote: »
    What date is that on? Cratloe are double Clare champions, might run out of gas.

16th of november , they have to play the winners of the tipp final in the hurling next sunday so something has to give at some stage how good a side are the nire this year?

16th of november , they have to play the winners of the tipp final in the hurling next sunday so something has to give at some stage how good a side are the nire this year?

They very impressive at the start of the year and was sure they'd win it. Then from the last group game up to the semi final, I think they won their 3 games by a total of 4 points altogether and seemed to be finding it a bit tougher. Was sure Ballinacourty would be their opponents, but it was Stradbally and they played very well in the final.

Wasn't at the game today but was wondering how they'd respond given it's been a while since they won a County and how interested they'd be in Munster and today seems to be a great response. Good mixture of older heads on the team there with some very talented young players too. Cratloe looked like a class team last year, but as said the venue, the performance today and the fact that Cratloe have dual commitments will make the game in 2 weeks time very interesting.

• Advertisement

Great win for Roanmore beating DLS after extra time in the u21 East semi final.

4-13 to 2-17

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great win for Roanmore beating DLS after extra time in the u21 East semi final.

4-13 to 2-17

Great win for them. Wide open championship by the looks of it. Dungarvan must have a right chance this year having 9 seniors on the team. I think they'll be too strong for st. Carthages next weekend. Kevin Daly will be a big loss for them having done his cruciate apparently.
    Delighted for Roanmore,great result for the club.

cul beag wrote: »
    Great win for them. Wide open championship by the looks of it. Dungarvan must have a right chance this year having 9 seniors on the team. I think they'll be too strong for st. Carthages next weekend. Kevin Daly will be a big loss for them having done his cruciate apparently.
    Delighted for Roanmore,great result for the club.

Yeah great to see them win given how well they did at Senior this year, they were pretty poor the last couple of years so would be nice to see them on the up.

Did Lismore beat De La Salle in the County final at Minor in 2011, they did?

Yeah great to see them win given how well they did at Senior this year, they were pretty poor the last couple of years so would be nice to see them on the up.

Did Lismore beat De La Salle in the County final at Minor in 2011, they did?
    Think they did but Dungarvan seemed to have added a bit extra in the last 3 years with the likes of Aaron Donnelly and Darragh Lyons joining the Currans etc so it should make for an interesting game but i still fancy joxer to put one over on his own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

I was at the roanmore dls u21 game yesterday, i really think eamonn power of roanmore deserves a call up after what i witnessed yesterday, best player on show amongst a handful of senior inter county panellists. Dont even get me started about the goal he scored with the last puck of the game to square it up. It was top drawer 😉

• Advertisement

Top drawer wrote: »
    I was at the roanmore dls u21 game yesterday, i really think eamonn power of roanmore deserves a call up after what i witnessed yesterday, best player on show amongst a handful of senior inter county panellists. Dont even get me started about the goal he scored with the last puck of the game to square it up. It was top drawer 😉

What age is he? Still under 21 next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

What age is he? Still under 21 next year?

No id say this is his last year at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Double header in Fraher Field. The Brickeys against Ardfert is on before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Looking forward to western u21 final, I'm tipping joxer to get one over on lismore. Should be a tight contest though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 maor camann

Looking forward to western u21 final, I'm tipping joxer to get one over on lismore. Should be a tight contest though

he should be ashamed of himself training a team to play against hes own club like that, very strange situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

he should be ashamed of himself training a team to play against hes own club like that, very strange situation.

it must be Weird for him alright but it could have just as easily happened in the senior championship too if the two clubs had meet each other.

It must be becoming more common now with some many outside coaches these days, but in saying that a cannot think of an instance where a manager coached against his own club in the Waterford club championship.

Nothing wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 maor camann

Nothing wrong with it.

A man grows up hurling with 1 club since probably 6/7 years of age and finishes probably 35/36. Is it right then that that same person train a team to hurl against his own team, the same team that thought him everything he knows about the game etc for the sake of a few euro? To me an outsider it represents everything that is dodgy and wrong with the game at the moment - coaches getting ridicoulous amounts of money- everyone else nothing!.

A man grows up hurling with 1 club since probably 6/7 years of age and finishes probably 35/36. Is it right then that that same person train a team to hurl against his own team, the same team that thought him everything he knows about the game etc for the sake of a few euro? To me an outsider it represents everything that is dodgy and wrong with the game at the moment - coaches getting ridicoulous amounts of money- everyone else nothing!.

To what extent are you an outsider?

Look at it this way: a man gives 30 years of his life to his club, puts in many outstanding performances and helps them win the highest County honour they can achieve at different grades.

Decides to take up coaching and share his expertise with younger players from different clubs, and based on his achievements clubs decide they want to attract his services and feel the need to offer some compensation to ensure they get his services. So he helps them out.

What would the difference be between managing against your club, and managing against your County? And the latter is very common these days.

Wasn't it a few years ago Tomás Mulcahy was involved with Lismore? I suppose he was doing it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Slobbery wrote: »
    it must be Weird for him alright but it could have just as easily happened in the senior championship too if the two clubs had meet each other.

It must be becoming more common now with some many outside coaches these days, but in saying that a cannot think of an instance where a manager coached against his own club in the Waterford club championship.

Eoin Dunphy coached Clonea against De La salle few yrs back in intermediate championship and also Mark Cooney coached ballyduff lower against DLS in intermediate few yrs back. Personally I cant see a problem with it if there's no room in their own club also it can be good experience working with lads you dont know well. It can only benefit both the coach and the club he's training. Outside coaches seem to be getting the best from players in these situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Packo Curran coached An Rinn last year against his own club Stradbally in the county SFC semi final.

Packo Curran coached An Rinn last year against his own club Stradbally in the county SFC semi final.

And he's out of the loop there since according to himself and not by his own choice!!
    Just as a matter of interest what if Lismore had asked him to take the senior job and he refused would it still be ok to go against them and train a rival club? Just curious what the opinion on here would be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

cul beag wrote: »
    And he's out of the loop there since according to himself and not by his own choice!!
    Just as a matter of interest what if Lismore had asked him to take the senior job and he refused would it still be ok to go against them and train a rival club? Just curious what the opinion on here would be then?

As a Dungarvan man I have to say I am delighted with the job James O Connor is doing at the club. Whether he was asked by lismore or not I can't say but I am just glad he's involved with us now. He has brought it to another level here and the players have great time for him. I think the u21 game will be close but I do think we might be that bit stronger in certain positions. Ryan Donnelly and Kevin Daly will be big losses but Aaron Donnelly will be back for this game. You asked the question about James being offered the lismore job but if what you say is true and there's so much fighting going on there then maybe he thought to himself that it wasn't for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Is Aaron Donnelly minor next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

archieknox wrote: »
    As a Dungarvan man I have to say I am delighted with the job James O Connor is doing at the club. Whether he was asked by lismore or not I can't say but I am just glad he's involved with us now. He has brought it to another level here and the players have great time for him. I think the u21 game will be close but I do think we might be that bit stronger in certain positions. Ryan Donnelly and Kevin Daly will be big losses but Aaron Donnelly will be back for this game. You asked the question about James being offered the lismore job but if what you say is true and there's so much fighting going on there then maybe he thought to himself that it wasn't for him?
    What happened Ryan Donnelly? Kevin Daly did his cruciate??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Hi Lads, it was reported a few weeks ago that Jim Dee was no longer the panel secretary, this is untrue he is still very much in the role

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What happened Ryan Donnelly? Kevin Daly did his cruciate??

Donnelly red card last day

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

What's the story with selectors lads? Is it still just McGrath and Shanahan??? The rumour of Fintan O' Connor going in has seemed to have cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I heard Mike Hunt was approached but hadn't the balls to do it.

• Advertisement

Stephen Bennett out tonight. I'd say ye'll be right on Dungarvan lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement