Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

McGrath Out

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eastwestlad

While probably not many care I shall again bring up the issue regarding Waterford minor football. While many think it is a waste of time Waterford can and should be able to compete well against the other counties in Munster. This years draw is: (I have worked it out presumably how it should work out)
    1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford
    4) Losers 1 (Clare) v Losers 2 (Limerick) (Playoff 1)
    5) Losers 3 (Tipperary) v Winners 4 (Limerick) (Playoff 2)
    6) Winners 1 (Kerry) v Winners 2 (Cork) (Semi-Final)
    7) Winners 3 (Waterford) v Winners 5 (Limerick) (Semi-Final)
    8) Winners 6( Kerry) v Winners 7 (Waterford) (Final)
    I see no reason why Waterford can't beat Tipp when the beat them las year and Limerick to get to the final. Neither Cork or Kerry will throw ye game to avoid eachother this easily could be Waterford's year to reach a Munster Final in football. However I had hope in the county's football management but after hearing the players who attended the first training session this week at Gerdlines Gaa pitch in Aglish I was shocked. The manager Tim Lenhihan from (Shamrocks) has not only made it a close invitation only training but has failed to invite roughly 1/3 of players who should start next year. That's 5 players minimum and however more who wouldn't start. Some of these players E.g Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers) , Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers) , Aidan Kirwan (Dungarvan) , Sean Crotty (Dungarvan) , Luke O Connor ( St. Oliver's) and Cormac Dwyer (Balinacourty) . These are only a rough few who should be on that team, Another be John Curran (Dungarvan) , they although may not have peaked at around 12/13 and therefore are denied the chance to atleast try out for the county. While I don't mind Lenhihan being manager he needs to bring better players onto the panel. Carthach Barry started the intermediate county football final two weeks ago, corner back and compared to other players that were invited to the first training based on playing u17 and u16 I find stupid. Carthach is 18 in jan/feb and therefore has another year minor but his speed and talent and ability would have him on any panel in the country. Paul Whelan was on the bench however he is only 16 may just 17, 6ft 3/4 players are hard to come by at senior let alone minor. No full back in the country is his height which is why I don't understand why he isn't full forward, his catching/scoring makes his an obvious starter but he is also left out because he probably didn't peak till minor, however is a stronger carrier aswell. That pairing will lead Brickeys Minors next year in Div 1 probably Centre Back/Midfield. Aidan Kirwan is another who should be on both the hurling and football county but because he wasn't u16/u17 he is left out again. Kirwan/ Crotty are similar to the Brickey boys mentioned above absolute units that will be centre back/midfield and played intermediate this year. Luke O Connor (some remember his father the all Ireland winning fb for Offaly in the 80s Liam O Connor who was part of the O Connor dynasty) is a serious fb/corner back who was on the u16 but never went to u17 for some reason. I thought he was the standout in the u16 tournament in the summer and Cormac Dwyer (abit lazy but a serious talent for courty I found him gr8 this year) aswell as John Curran (a serious unit) brother of Hurling star Patrick Curran. These players along with the likes of Maurice Daly should be playing. I find it shameful that selectors don't assess every minor player in the county and invite who's that stand out over a serious of games or have open try outs and assess them over 4/6 weeks. I appeal to anybody reading this, Waterford have a chance to win the minor football, don't brush this post off, surely somebody reading this knows Tim/Tom Lenhihan and/or selectors and tell them about these players: I leave you with what the team should be:
    1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Luke O Connor (St. Oliver's)
    3) Darren McGuckian (Stradbally)
    4) Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
    5) Cian Culoo (St. Oliver's)
    6) John Elsted (Balinacourty)
    7) Sean Crotty (Dungarvan)
    8) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    9) Conor Prunty (Balinacourty)
    10) Dylan Guiry (The Nire)
    11) Michael Sweeney (Stradbally)
    12) David Looby (Balinacourty)
    13) Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    14) Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers)
    15) Paul Tobin ( Stradbally)

However I appeal to the manager staff and Lenhihan to look at Carthach Barry, Paul Whelan, Aidan Kirwan, Sean Crotty, Luke O Connor, Cormac Dwyer, John Curran and maybe even Maurice Daly. If those players are not looked at I don't see Waterford going far which is shame due to the team they could have. But when you have players starting senior next year in Barry and a 6ft 3/4 giant in Whelan and they are left out in the cold where is the chance for Waterford? Where? I just hope someone contact Lenhihan and tells them about these players: Barry, Whelan, Kirwan, Crotty, O Connor, Dwyer, Curran and maybe even Daly.

Apologises for the really long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

No Paudie Mahony in the names put forward for hurler of the year? What "experts" finalise the 3 names that go on the list does anyone know? Solid all year for Ballygunner,I can't believe he didn't make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

cul beag wrote: »
    No Paudie Mahony in the names put forward for hurler of the year? What "experts" finalise the 3 names that go on the list does anyone know? Solid all year for Ballygunner,I can't believe he didn't make the cut.

I have to say its a strange one alright. He was the difference between ourselves and Ballygunner in the semi final when the game was there to be won. I would love to know his total scores for the championship I would imagine he is right up there with Jamie Barron on the scoring chart. Nice to see Shane O Rourke being nominated,while I don't think he will win it,he's had a very good campaign for Cappoquin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marty1892

While probably not many care I shall again bring up the issue regarding Waterford minor football. While many think it is a waste of time Waterford can and should be able to compete well against the other counties in Munster. This years draw is: (I have worked it out presumably how it should work out)
    1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford
    I see no reason why Waterford can't beat Tipp when the beat them las year and Limerick to get to the final. Neither Cork or Kerry will throw ye game to avoid eachother this easily could be Waterford's year to reach a Munster Final in football. However I had hope in the county's football management but after hearing the players who attended the first training session this week at Gerdlines Gaa pitch in Aglish I was shocked. The manager Tim Lenhihan from (Shamrocks) has not only made it a close invitation only training but has failed to invite roughly 1/3 of players who should start next year. That's 5 players minimum and however more who wouldn't start. Some of these players E.g Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers) , Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers) , Aidan Kirwan (Dungarvan) , Sean Crotty (Dungarvan) , Luke O Connor ( St. Oliver's) and Cormac Dwyer (Balinacourty) . These are only a rough few who should be on that team, Another be John Curran (Dungarvan) , they although may not have peaked at around 12/13 and therefore are denied the chance to atleast try out for the county. While I don't mind Lenhihan being manager he needs to bring better players onto the panel. Carthach Barry started the intermediate county football final two weeks ago, corner back and compared to other players that were invited to the first training based on playing u17 and u16 I find stupid. Carthach is 18 in jan/feb and therefore has another year minor but his speed and talent and ability would have him on any panel in the country. Paul Whelan was on the bench however he is only 16 may just 17, 6ft 3/4 players are hard to come by at senior let alone minor. No full back in the country is his height which is why I don't understand why he isn't full forward, his catching/scoring makes his an obvious starter but he is also left out because he probably didn't peak till minor, however is a stronger carrier aswell. That pairing will lead Brickeys Minors next year in Div 1 probably Centre Back/Midfield. Aidan Kirwan is another who should be on both the hurling and football county but because he wasn't u16/u17 he is left out again. Kirwan/ Crotty are similar to the Brickey boys mentioned above absolute units that will be centre back/midfield and played intermediate this year. Luke O Connor (some remember his father the all Ireland winning fb for Offaly in the 80s Liam O Connor who was part of the O Connor dynasty) is a serious fb/corner back who was on the u16 but never went to u17 for some reason. I thought he was the standout in the u16 tournament in the summer and Cormac Dwyer (abit lazy but a serious talent for courty I found him gr8 this year) aswell as John Curran (a serious unit) brother of Hurling star Patrick Curran. These players along with the likes of Maurice Daly should be playing. I find it shameful that selectors don't assess every minor player in the county and invite who's that stand out over a serious of games or have open try outs and assess them over 4/6 weeks. I appeal to anybody reading this, Waterford have a chance to win the minor football, don't brush this post off, surely somebody reading this knows Tim/Tom Lenhihan and/or selectors and tell them about these players: I leave you with what the team should be:

However I appeal to the manager staff and Lenhihan to look at Carthach Barry, Paul Whelan, Aidan Kirwan, Sean Crotty, Luke O Connor, Cormac Dwyer, John Curran and maybe even Maurice Daly. If those players are not looked at I don't see Waterford going far which is shame due to the team they could have. But when you have players starting senior next year in Barry and a 6ft 3/4 giant in Whelan and they are left out in the cold where is the chance for Waterford? Where? I just hope someone contact Lenhihan and tells them about these players: Barry, Whelan, Kirwan, Crotty, O Connor, Dwyer, Curran and maybe even Daly.

I agree that this is a great opportunity for us to get to a Munster final but it by no means a handy draw limerick are ploughing money into underage football and have a number of former players now coaching their underage teams i actually think they will give cork or Kerry a big fright this year.

If what your saying about our minor preparations is true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) it is really disappointing to hear that an open invite wasn't sent to every club and anyone interested in playing attend a few trial games like what was done last year. It just doesn't make sense with the size of our pool of players to have it invitation only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 marty1892

1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford

I agree that this is a great opportunity for us to get to a Munster final but it by no means a handy draw limerick are ploughing money into underage football and have a number of former players now coaching their underage teams i actually think they will give cork or Kerry a big fright this year.

If what your saying about our minor preparations is true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) it is really disappointing to hear that an open invite wasn't sent to every club and anyone interested in playing attend a few trial games like what was done last year. It just doesn't make sense with the size of our pool of players to have it invitation only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

On the other hand, great to see them training in November.

Didn't Brian Flannery have a go when Mahony didn't win it last year? Not popular with this committee it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford

Are you saying that only one player from east Waterford is good enough to make the team? I find that hard to believe.

Good to hear they're training already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford

Totally agree that Waterford have a great chance of doing well this year! Looks like there is a lot of talent there.
    However I do think you are over rating some of the players mentioned, wouldnt think some of the u16s you mentioned are up to the standard, and doubt they will be on the squad. But happy to be proven wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

On the other hand, great to see them training in November.

Didn't Brian Flannery have a go when Mahony didn't win it last year? Not popular with this committee it seems.

Who did get nominated for the awards this year?

Gonna throw some guesses that Young hurler will be Patrick Curran, Y.Footballer Conor Gleeson, Footballer either Brick or Thomas O'Gorman.
    Would have guessed Mahony for hurler of the year....

• Advertisement

Who did get nominated for the awards this year?

Gonna throw some guesses that Young hurler will be Patrick Curran, Y.Footballer Conor Gleeson, Footballer either Brick or Thomas O'Gorman.
    Would have guessed Mahony for hurler of the year....

Austin Gleeson, Stephen O Keeffe, Shane O Rourke

And I think Senior football was Brian Wall, Shane Briggs and maybe Brick.

I agree, Gleeson and Curran are shoe ins for the juvenile awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done to The Nire. Into the munster final after beating cratloe today in extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Great result for The Nire against a very good Cratloe team. They'll have a big job to recover for the hurling next week.

Just as an aside, I don't think anyone from the county board was at the game providing updates on Twitter. Luckily both clubs picked up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hardybuck wrote: »
    Great result for The Nire against a very good Cratloe team. They'll have a big job to recover for the hurling next week.

Just as an aside, I don't think anyone from the county board was at the game providing updates on Twitter. Luckily both clubs picked up the slack.

looking forward to watching the highlights of this game tommorow night on tg4 it sounded like a cracker , the nire have some very good footballers as it is but throwing in the likes of connor gleason jamie barron liam lawlor who have tons of experience as it is going into the munster final i would give them a great chance of wining it , today was no fluke by the sound of things and it would be great for the likes of the o'gorman brothers to be picking up some major silverware of there own too

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Great win for the Nire, were the better team over the hour+ and fully deserved winners.

First off, well done Modeligo. Winning down in Limerick to be the second Waterford hurling team to make a Munster Club Final this year is some achievement. I dunno if we've ever had two teams in the Intermediate and Junior club finals. Hard luck to Brickeys.

That was an unbelievable game of football. Some performance from the Nire. What was outstanding to me was the response to the setbacks during the game. Just before the first goal there was an immense period of defending where Cratloe kept recycling the ball until eventually they shot wide. The kind of thing that would buoy a team, but then caught for a goal from the kick out.

A great response 6 mins later to get a great goal from a super ball by Jamie Barron, and a great take and finish from Conor Gleeson. But Cratloe then went straight back down the field and scored a super goal of their own, a smashing finish from Conor Ryan after some super build up play. I think 2 or 3 points down but responded with a couple of great points from Gleeson and Shane Ryan, with both being the only man in the full forward line for both scores and they were level at half time.

Even then, they dominated the second half and went two up but couldn't quite turn the screw and then Cratloe looked like fitness might out for them levelling, before going two up, the second a great point by Cathal McInerney and the first an absolutely unbelievable score from Podge Collins.

But even then they found more, Shane Walsh nearly goaled and was followed up by Conor Gleeson leading the line up front again. Even after Diarmuid Wall made an unbelievable diving save while a Cratloe player was shooting and came away with the ball.

Extra time then and you could see both teams out on their feet, but the Nire somehow found more and Jamie Barron was very much to the forefront (having been out on his feet at the end of normal time) playing up front and got a terrific point to put them ahead again, followed by Brian Wall finishing it.

Contributions all round, Brian Wall, Liam Lawlor, Conor Gleeson, Justin Walsh and especially Thomas O Gorman and Jamie Barron best for the Nire.

Cratloe had plenty of admirable performers, particularly Liam Markham, Conor Ryan, John Galvin, Cathal Mac at the end, Podge Collins (though well marshalled but damage limitation) and Sean Collins possibly best of the lot.

Hard luck to them, and as an aside I think it's not fair that they are being asked to play the Munster hurling final next weekend.

Great scenes of jubilation in the stand after the game as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Great win by the nire. The top 3 in Waterford are all well able to compete in munster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cappoquin were I think playing cork minor in hurling challenge this weekend as build up to next week

Anyone know how game went

Anyone know if you can stream the highlights of GAA 2014 from the TG4 website tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Cappoquin were I think playing cork minor in hurling challenge this weekend as build up to next week

Anyone know how game went

I think it was 3 18 to 3 16 to cappoquin against a tipp team....

Well done to modeligo and the nire today

• Advertisement

Sound thanks wasn't sure if game went ahead cork minors were meant to be in fray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone know if you can stream the highlights of GAA 2014 from the TG4 website tomorrow night?

Generally with the odd exception you can stream shows live on the tg4 website or alternatively they will put it up for the week on the tg4 site for you to access it after the live airing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Big win for Modeligo there. What are they like?

Should be big favourites for Munster, their opponents won't have played for weeks and struggled to put away Kenmare.

I believe castlematyr would have to be favourites over monligo for the junior final for a number of reasons and many in cork would expect them to win it, there own quarters may try and blow they chances down which is expected but you look at both teams castlematy should win, it's tough game in a sense as they at time's tend to make it difficult for themselves

Look at this championship the last five years cork had three winners kildorrey , Meelin, charville where Waterford only won last year had the win
    The other year cork didn't get to win it Fermoy got beaten in the final by a point.

Cork junior clubs have always been particularly very strong in this grade in munster, caste are realisticlly favourites in cork to win it.
    To say modeligo are big favourites is not realistic imo.
    At best both teams be even.
    It will be a very close game, castle should win but they normally struggle in games there expected to win but all credit due won county final with mininium fuss v ballinshaig.

Im not quite sure modeligo but didn't pat o Donovan play minor Waterford once, outside that I don't think any players this year did play intercounty

Look at castlematyr Brian lawton was on cork panel league and championship all year,played with ucc in fitzgibbon cup,Barry lawton part cork intermediate all irelands winning team, both would featured at  for cork and intermediate and corner back Barry o tuma would played intermediate cork this year so three lad's with intercounty training and prepartion should always give clubs advantage in this grade
    Lawton won a Harty and at 25 has top level hurling behind him in fitzgibbon cup success and while I remain to be convinced he's senior intercounty elite level he is well capable of performing in these games and is marquee player modeligo seem to lack

They got no challenge v kenmare what was meant to be poor team but walk over v bodoyke in yes robbed them game but imo it's huge advantage for junior club at this time year in lot junior clubs train so hard don't expect to get prolonged run and can in winter conditions tire so because east cork team now have around a four week lay off it huge benefit as after winning first county over fifty years they have had time to adjust celebrations and readjust training so imo huge advantage coming on to the final where's as mondligo have had tough games

Huge home advantage in mallow in lot north cork even city lad's will go short twenty minutes spin to support castlematyr so huge support and also big na piarssigh following as ex stalwart club christy connerry good coach and captain cork all ireland 21 winning team 1988 is with them so they would have a high profile so taking all things in to consideration you would realisticlly have to put castlematyr as favourites for the game.
    Many in cork expect them to win it.
    With the dissaster sarsfields had, ballyhea loosing also, cork need this win and normally junior delivers for cork hurling.
    It's poor reflection imo on castlematyr if they don't win munster after getting a bye to the final, soft game v kenmare so they have had an easy run and should be fresher coming in to the final.
    It's perfectly set up for them to win it and they have a golden opportunity here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

I believe castlematyr would have to be favourites over monligo for the junior final for a number of reasons and many in cork would expect them to win it, there own quarters may try and blow they chances down which is expected but you look at both teams castlematy should win, it's tough game in a sense as they at time's tend to make it difficult for themselves

Look at this championship the last five years cork had three winners kildorrey , Meelin, charville where Waterford only won last year had the win
    The other year cork didn't get to win it Fermoy got beaten in the final by a point.

Cork junior clubs have always been particularly very strong in this grade in munster, caste are realisticlly favourites in cork to win it.
    To say modeligo are big favourites is not realistic imo.
    At best both teams be even.
    It will be a very close game, castle should win but they normally struggle in games there expected to win but all credit due won county final with mininium fuss v ballinshaig.

Im not quite sure modeligo but didn't pat o Donovan play minor Waterford once, outside that I don't think any players this year did play intercounty

Look at castlematyr Brian lawton was on cork panel league and championship all year,played with ucc in fitzgibbon cup,Barry lawton part cork intermediate all irelands winning team, both would featured at  for cork and intermediate and corner back Barry o tuma would played intermediate cork this year so three lad's with intercounty training and prepartion should always give clubs advantage in this grade
    Lawton won a Harty and at 25 has top level hurling behind him in fitzgibbon cup success and while I remain to be convinced he's senior intercounty elite level he is well capable of performing in these games and is marquee player modeligo seem to lack

They got no challenge v kenmare what was meant to be poor team but walk over v bodoyke in yes robbed them game but imo it's huge advantage for junior club at this time year in lot junior clubs train so hard don't expect to get prolonged run and can in winter conditions tire so because east cork team now have around a four week lay off it huge benefit as after winning first county over fifty years they have had time to adjust celebrations and readjust training so imo huge advantage coming on to the final where's as mondligo have had tough games

Huge home advantage in mallow in lot north cork even city lad's will go short twenty minutes spin to support castlematyr so huge support and also big na piarssigh following as ex stalwart club christy connerry good coach and captain cork all ireland 21 winning team 1988 is with them so they would have a high profile so taking all things in to consideration you would realisticlly have to put castlematyr as favourites for the game.
    Many in cork expect them to win it.
    With the dissaster sarsfields had, ballyhea loosing also, cork need this win and normally junior delivers for cork hurling.
    It's poor reflection imo on castlematyr if they don't win munster after getting a bye to the final, soft game v kenmare so they have had an easy run and should be fresher coming in to the final.
    It's perfectly set up for them to win it and they have a golden opportunity here.

Classic cork biased post. Thinking ye are the greatest once again how surprising.

You obviously don't know much about modeligo judging by your ignorance of their team. You say they have no player with a "high calibre" . tom devine will be the best player on the pitch in that match on both sides. Played MF on minor team that won the all ireland, great talent. Should be on the ucc fitz team this year but prob won't because he's not from cork. Lawton was on winning fitz teams which he was only a bit part player carries by better players . o Donovan is another gifted hurler with great wrists and skill IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

1) Kerry v Clare
    2) Cork v Limerick
    3) Tipperary v Waterford

All clubs were sent a text on 19th September inviting all players whjo will be minor next year to training. I asked our club secretary as my youngest brother is that age and he showed me the text, it came from John Quinn below in the city.

For the record, Tim Lenahan is very popular with the players I hear and I know Oran Curran from last year also involved. They played 4 matches in an U17 tournament recently in Munster and all players who wanted to be there were looked at.

And before you go there, I'm not Tim or Oran and I don't even know Tim to see to be honest, but the young lads coming back with good reports. A lot of the lads you refer to above played and were looked at during the U17 tournament. I don't doubt your passion, but its important to get the facts right. If players didn't get word of training then they might want to ask their clubs why not.

Classic cork biased post. Thinking ye are the greatest once again how surprising.

You obviously don't know much about modeligo judging by your ignorance of their team. You say they have no player with a "high calibre" . tom devine will be the best player on the pitch in that match on both sides. Played MF on minor team that won the all ireland, great talent. Should be on the ucc fitz team this year but prob won't because he's not from cork. Lawton was on winning fitz teams which he was only a bit part player carries by better players . o Donovan is another gifted hurler with great wrists and skill IMO.

I'm not biased at all at all

I was simply being realistic in castlematyr being talked down in some quarters

I had referenced I was unsure regards full extent intercounty representative

You will find I mentioned pat o Donovan and yes very good hurler
    As for tom devine didn't know he played club but I'm well aware him talent wise huge talent and I done report ucc v ul fresher game last year where said in another thread he has outstanding match and like dj foran also brilliant that day imo and should be fitzgibbon cup absolutely and lehane I think is finished ucc thus year

Totally unbiased I am, judging by cork junior record and lawtons etc I said it would be close game one castlematyr should expecting to win and this talk that mondligo are huge favourites as was originally put imo I disagree with

Ucc coached ger cunningham noel furlong carrigtwohill etc they don't do bias so you can almost guarantee devine will be on ucc team and correctly so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

I'm not biased at all at all

I was simply being realistic in castlematyr being talked down in some quarters

I had referenced I was unsure regards full extent intercounty representative

You will find I mentioned pat o Donovan and yes very good hurler
    As for tom devine didn't know he played club but I'm well aware him talent wise huge talent and I done report ucc v ul fresher game last year where said in another thread he has outstanding match and like dj Doran also brilliant that day imo and should be fitzgibbon cup absolutely and lehane I think is finished ucc thus year

Totally unbiased I am, judging by cork junior record and lawtons etc I said it would be close game one castlematyr should expecting to win and this talk that mondligo are huge favourites as was originally put imo I disagree with

Agree that castlemartyr should be favourites going on previous cork junior teams and I also agree the standard of junior in cork would be higher than Waterford but I know modeligo are well up for the game and if devine can get control of the middlw third of the pitch and supply Donovan then I give them a fair chance

I think to be fair, Orizio playing the cute hoor card playing down the chances of his own club isn't really Castlemartyr being talked down in some quarters. The reality is next to nobody in Waterford will know anything about them and the same can be said for knowledge of Modeligo in Cork.

For what it's worth, I was there when Charleville won the Munster a few years ago and I thought they were a very good team. I don't think Modeligo would have beaten them but from what I've seen you say previously it doesn't sound like theyll have to be as good as that to win this game. They aren't as good as Ballysaggart last year either, but they are better than any Waterford representatives in those years prior you mention that Cork won the Junior so to some extent that's a moot point.

But it does stand to reason that a Cork team be favourite in this grade given the contrasting nature of competitiveness within their own County championship structure at Junior level. All that said, the manner in which Modeligo won the county coupled with their win in Limerick yesterday suggests to me that this game will be competitive, and that they have a chance of prevailing.

• Advertisement

I think to be fair, Orizio playing the cute hoor card playing down the chances of his own club isn't really Castlemartyr being talked down in some quarters. The reality is next to nobody in Waterford will know anything about them and the same can be said for knowledge of Modeligo in Cork.

For what it's worth, I was there when Charleville won the Munster a few years ago and I thought they were a very good team. I don't think Modeligo would have beaten them but from what I've seen you say previously it doesn't sound like theyll have to be as good as that to win this game. They aren't as good as Ballysaggart last year either, but they are better than any Waterford representatives in those years prior you mention that Cork won the Junior so to some extent that's a moot point.

But it does stand to reason that a Cork team be favourite in this grade given the contrasting nature of competitiveness within their own County championship structure at Junior level. All that said, the manner in which Modeligo won the county coupled with their win in Limerick yesterday suggests to me that this game will be competitive, and that they have a chance of prevailing.

Very valid points

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement