Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Your suggestion was that all travellers fight, steal and scam. This clearly is not true.

He actually said "certain members", not "all".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

You mean like David Joyce, Barrister or Shayne Ward, Singer or Padraig McLochlainn TD or John Joe Nevin, Boxer or Rosaleen McDonagh, Playright?

And the 80% or so that are unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And the 80% or so that are unemployed?

What? Unemployed people contribute nothing to society?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your suggestion was that all travellers fight, steal and scam. This clearly is not true.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

What? Unemployed people contribute nothing to society?

So pray tell, what exactly do the 80%+ of unemployed travellers contribute to society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

So pray tell, what exactly do the 80%+ of unemployed travellers contribute to society?

They are threads in the colourful tapestry of our multi-cultural society? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

you won't. you decided to run an establishment selling a mind aultering substance.

Having seen first hand what a traveller group can do to a pub after a communion I can assure you that just because its a 'mind altering substance' they are selling does not mean they are open for total destruction, being outrun, family threatened and all regular customers booted out.

Youre acting like people in modern society do this to pubs every weekend?

If you owned a pub and you left your doors open for a congregation of travellers your tune would change very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jimboblep wrote: »
    You said earlier in this thread that you would agree with the culling of people who dicriminate against travellers.
    i didn't

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

i didn't

I already put up the quote where you said you would agree with the sterilisation of people who discriminate against travellers.

irishmover wrote: »
    Having seen first hand what a traveller group can do to a pub after a communion I can assure you that just because its a 'mind altering substance' they are selling does not mean they are open for total destruction, being outrun, family threatened and all regular customers booted out.

Youre acting like people in modern society do this to pubs every weekend?

If you owned a pub and you left your doors open for a congregation of travellers your tune would change very quickly.
    it wouldn't. the minute i'd open my door i'd be taking a risk the minute someone comes in. thats the nature of the game being a publican. don't like it get out of the game, otherwise serve whatever custom you get and stop crying poor mouth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The phenomenon of Travellers as a constant recurring topic of conversation can get a bit much at times, I think it's a combination of the media and their role as folk devils in Irish society.

I say this as someone who's constantly on the receiving end of hostile comments in public places because I'm deemed to have ''a Travellers face'', I'm of landed farming stock on both sides and have a surname that's nowhere to be found in the Traveller community and don't know any Travellers, but I because of this I can empathise with the ones who complain about not being served in pubs or shops when they've no malevolent intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

it wouldn't. the minute i'd open my door i'd be taking a risk the minute someone comes in. thats the nature of the game being a publican. don't like it get out of the game, otherwise serve whatever custom you get and stop crying poor mouth

Places with bouncers turn away people all the time. They filter out people they think might cause trouble.

You don't seem to grasp risk management.

1. General public are a low risk to a pub. Keep doors open and an issue will happen in isolation, usually easy for gardai to deal with as there is only a small group involved.

2. Travellers are a high risk to a pub. Keep doors closed during events which have a large congregation of travellers in the area. Risk eliminated unless they break and enter.

Scenario one means that if something does happen and the bar is damaged costs will be recoverable.

Scenario two means that the only instance something will happen is via breaking and entering. Insurance will cover it.

Finally, keep the doors open all the time. Maybe the first couple of traveller groups will be OK. But with it being a much higher risk allowing these people in then eventually the pub will be totally over run like what happened in Balbriggan a few years back.

Read up about risk management and where travellers would lie in comparison to regular customers at a pub. If you find that the risks are equal then good job. Highly suspect you won't though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 blueman02

forget about it irish mover,

end of the road is a troll who just persists in what ever argument will be most obnoxious in an attempt to annoy people

Places with bouncers turn away people all the time. They filter out people they think might cause trouble.
    yup, bann them from doing it i say

irishmover wrote: »
    You don't seem to grasp risk management.

1. General public are a low risk to a pub. Keep doors open and an issue will happen in isolation, usually easy for gardai to deal with as there is only a small group involved.

2. Travellers are a high risk to a pub. Keep doors closed during events which have a large congregation of travellers in the area. Risk eliminated unless they break and enter.

Scenario one means that if something does happen and the bar is damaged costs will be recoverable.

Scenario two means that the only instance something will happen is via breaking and entering. Insurance will cover it.

Finally, keep the doors open all the time. Maybe the first couple of traveller groups will be OK. But with it being a much higher risk allowing these people in then eventually the pub will be totally over run like what happened in Balbriggan a few years back.

Read up about risk management and where travellers would lie in comparison to regular customers at a pub. If you find that the risks are equal then good job. Highly suspect you won't though
    you don't get to use risk management, serve whatever custom you get pay your taxes lower your prices and stop playing the poor publican

blueman02 wrote: »

end of the road is a troll who just persists in what ever argument will be most obnoxious in an attempt to annoy people
    i'm not. what you get from me is my opinion. you can take it or leave it its up to you, but i'm no troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

you don't get to use risk management, serve whatever custom you get pay your taxes lower your prices and stop playing the poor publican

hahahaha....businesses don't get to use risk management?

remind me to never vote for you

blueman02 wrote: »

The person hasn't annoyed me whatsoever, I really just thought I was doing the person a service in correcting their poor understanding of basic risk and it's application for a Publican in this situation.

Last post by this person seems to have proven they're either unable to accept that they are wrong, or infact they are directing their posts in a way to eventually annoy people like you said. Either way, I've made my point clear and that's all I'm really concerned about.

ya its a shame some people just arent nice isnt it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

yup, bann them from doing it i say

What do we do about all the other businesses? You may have seen signs in shops saying "Managers have to right to refuse admission"

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

They have certain little quirks of their own that are rather endearing,Like having sulky races on main roads through rush hour traffic,Rearranging furniture in Pubs etc and a casual attitude to ownership of property(if not nailed down).Their dedication to the collection of scrap is laudable ,Their attempt to tarmac private driveways Cheaply is to be applauded,;To know them is to love them,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Are you actually for real?

Are you actually for real?

aw come on now ?? really ??

im just surprised that he can get wifi uder neath that bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Surprised to come back after the weekend and see this thread hasn't been shut down.

Is it still the same 4 people, providing a blinkered defense for the Travelling community by writing one liners, where they attempt to pin people to the wall, even though they themselves have no 1st hand experience of Travellers or evidence to back up what they are saying? :confused:

Yeah it looks like it is :pac:

Wonder what wonderful insights the next 10 pages of the thread will bring us on the wholesomeness and value of the Travelling community.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cormac... wrote: »
    Surprised to come back after the weekend and see this thread hasn't been shut down.

Is it still the same 4 people, providing a blinkered defense for the Travelling community by writing one liners, where they attempt to pin people to the wall, even though they themselves have no 1st hand experience of Travellers or evidence to back up what they are saying? :confused:

Yeah it looks like it is :pac:

Wonder what wonderful insights the next 10 pages of the thread will bring us on the wholesomeness and value of the Travelling community.

:rolleyes:
    Cormac rhymes with Tarmac....coincidence?

Cormac rhymes with Tarmac....coincidence?

Actually it doesn't the way I say it..... which is incorrectly.... had to make sure to distance myself from my nomadic roots didn't I boss hai

Is it still the same 4 people, providing a blinkered defense for the Travelling community by writing one liners, where they attempt to pin people to the wall, even though they themselves have no 1st hand experience of Travellers or evidence to back up what they are saying?

Yeah it looks like it is

they have evidence, they have major experience of travelers. their view isn't blinkered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

they have evidence, they have major experience of travelers. their view isn't blinkered

"major experience" - i.e. watched 2 episodes of My Big fat gypsy Wedding.

• Advertisement

they have evidence, they have major experience of travelers

Who does? Do you? If so, what is it?

Can you help with the list? It's really struggling :(

It needs an unbiased, informed opinion on the merits of Travellers
    Let's make a list, as an informed group of intelligent adults of good experiences you've had with Travellers.

Who will be 1st?

1)

Advertisement