Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

eviltwin wrote: »
    Travellers have exemptions. I live in a council estate. Every one regardless of status has to pay for private bin collections. My next door neighbours who are travellers have a council waste truck swing by every week to pick up their rubbish. They don't pay a cent for it.
    Oh I agree with you regarding the services travellers recieve for free. I was replying to someone who seems to think you can get a council house for 'free' and thereafter pay nothing at all towards bills or rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

eviltwin wrote: »
    Travellers have exemptions. I live in a council estate. Every one regardless of status has to pay for private bin collections. My next door neighbours who are travellers have a council waste truck swing by every week to pick up their rubbish. They don't pay a cent for it.

Snap. The family next to me don't have a back garden, they have a rubbish tip. I got onto the council numerous times, who eventually provided them with a free skip. They still don't pay refuse charges and the problem is almost as bad again. I only wish they got a free weekly bin service!

If that were me, I'd be threatened with eviction if I left my property get in that state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Snap. The family next to me don't have a back garden, they have a rubbish tip. I got onto the council numerous times, who eventually provided them with a free skip. They still don't pay refuse charges and the problem is almost as bad again. I only wish they got a free weekly bin service!

If that were me, I'd be threatened with eviction if I left my property get in that state.

Filthy vermin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Grayson wrote: »
    here's the thing I don't get about people who dislike all travellers. As someone pointed out they have 10% child mortality for children under two. People act like travellers want that. Most traveller parents are just like most parents. they want their children to grow up health and happy and they do they best that they know how to. They don't want their babies dying. It's not like they're spartans and leaving the kids out in the cold to survive.

I genuinely have no idea why you have pieced together the dislike people have for travellers and their child mortality rates.
    Where do people act like they want traveller children to die?
    Bullying, Harassment, Racism, Isolation

My siblings and I went to the same primary school as a traveller family.
    The eldest daughter was in my brother's class, the eldest son was in my sister's class and one of the younger sons was in the class below me. Every year another 1 or 2 traveller children would start junior infants but ultimately they just stopped coming to school/being sent to school, even at that age.
    The 3 I mentioned above dished out their own special brand of bullying and harassment towards both their fellow students and the teachers. Everybody in the school was terrified of them.
    Another thing was that you'd find things robbed and say it to the teacher and be told "that was X, don't make a fuss". The things robbed could be books, food, PE gear, sports equipment etc.
    The school had to stop them from going on school trips because everytime one of them went on a trip there would be some sort of incident.

The reason why they ended up leaving the school (only the eldest daughter actually went on to secondary school) was because the bus driver refused to carry them anymore because (a) they never paid and (b) the eldest son who was in my sister's class set fire to the back seats of the bus and when the bus driver stopped the bus he just jumped out the emergency exit door and legged it.

Our school tried to be welcoming to these travellers and it was a nightmare. Can you understand at all the reluctance of people in interacting with travellers?

Someone mentioned earlier that travellers find it hard to trust people because of how they treat them. I'd argue the same could be said for people being mistrusting of travellers.

The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

we do enforce the laws that are in place, evidence has to be gathered though to ensure a fair trial and that people can put their side of the story across. no evidence, nothing can be done.

How often do Traveller parents appear in court over children's absenteeism from school? I have worked for years in a profession dealing daily with travellers, and the manner in which they can absent their children from school is amazing. The manner that they move from one side of the country, uprooting the children from a bit of schooling that they have received, is a disgrace. The social welfare system which allows people transfer around the country at will needs to be restricted.` On numerous occasions I have had school principals contact me about a family, because the children have disappeared from school and all the rental textbooks are also gone. The odd time you might be lucky and find the text books in the abandoned house. Sometimes you find all their school books and pencil case's, school bags etc. just dumped in bin bags in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

the was a traveller funeral in tipp town last wedensday, all the pubs bar one closed, while the parents drank, thee shops were cleaned out, one has to assume that the expenses hav to be got somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How often do Traveller parents appear in court over children's absenteeism from school? I have worked for years in a profession dealing daily with travellers, and the manner in which they can absent their children from school is amazing. The manner that they move from one side of the country, uprooting the children from a bit of schooling that they have received, is a disgrace. The social welfare system which allows people transfer around the country at will needs to be restricted.` On numerous occasions I have had school principals contact me about a family, because the children have disappeared from school and all the rental textbooks are also gone. The odd time you might be lucky and find the text books in the abandoned house. Sometimes you find all their school books and pencil case's, school bags etc. just dumped in bin bags in the garden.
    as they are traveling travelers rather then settled travelers, it stands to reason they won't stay in the same place. when evidence is gathered laws are enforced. if people move on before evidence can be gathered nothing can be done. if in the meantime evidence can be gathered even though someone has moved on they will be dealt with

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

flutered wrote: »
    the was a traveller funeral in tipp town last wedensday, all the pubs bar one closed, while the parents drank, thee shops were cleaned out, one has to assume that the expenses hav to be got somehow.
    so the publicans down there arn't poor then? usually the publicans are crying poor mouth over something yet they can afford to close and turn away business. shur tis well for them

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

so the publicans down there arn't poor then? usually the publicans are crying poor mouth over something yet they can afford to close and turn away business. shur tis well for them

more like they cant afford the cost of repairs.
    If publicans thought they could make money off them they would, but the risk outweighs the benefit.

jimboblep wrote: »
    more like they cant afford the cost of repairs.
    If publicans thought they could make money off them they would, but the risk outweighs the benefit.
    it doesn't. as they are an establishment selling a mind aultering substance. so risk doesn't come into it as they take a risk the minute they go into business. they chose it so pity about them. if they can turn away custom then they shouldn't be crying poor mouth. maybe if they lowered their prices and all

• Advertisement

it doesn't. as they are an establishment selling a mind aultering substance. so risk doesn't come into it as they take a risk the minute they go into business. they chose it so pity about them. if they can turn away custom then they shouldn't be crying poor mouth. maybe if they lowered their prices and all

Ffs
    They can't let a load of travellers into their premises because the place will more than likely be destroyed.... Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Ah would you stop, you know full well why pubs and hotels prefer to close their doors to traveller custom, whether or not you agree with it, you know why they do it, don't pretend you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TallGlass wrote: »
    In all fairness, send these troublemakers home we have enough to be dealing with. We can't even punish our own people properly, surely the cheapest option is to send them home. Bring in a law if your break our laws you go home. Seems simple to me.
    Find their passport, and then send them home. My point is that for a lot of them, Romania won't be their home.

They can't let a load of travellers into their premises because the place will more than likely be destroyed....

they can. unless they can agree they shouldn't let anyone in as the place could be destroyed. either way thats the risk and its whats involved when running an establishment that sells a mind aultering substance
    Fact.

no more fact then the potential for a non traveler to destroy the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Mint Aero wrote: »

"About 20 to 30 Travellers had gathered around the officers at this point and the two gardaí decided to withdraw"

Yes, a small minority in that halting site giving all the others a bad name. Sounds more like the vast majority that were there.

Didn't pick up the sarcasm there did you?

Ah would you stop, you know full well why pubs and hotels prefer to close their doors to traveller custom, whether or not you agree with it, you know why they do it, don't pretend you don't.
    i know the excuse they give. if they can afford to shut rather then serve then maybe double their tax to discourage it. that way they won't be able to shut and cry poor mouth as they will have to work.

This video says enough about travellers...
    http://youtu.be/7eaLsvusF7s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

So travellers are exempt from utility bills?

Great isn't it.

This country is so broken with welfare and fraud and corruption.

The sense of entitlement turns my stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Go home end of the road. You're drunk.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Go home end of the road. You're drunk.
    nothing constructive to say as per then. no surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

i know the excuse they give. if they can afford to shut rather then serve then maybe double their tax to discourage it. that way they won't be able to shut and cry poor mouth as they will have to work.

And we'll get you to pay the compensation when they smash up the gaff with another one of their interminable feuds.

And we'll get you to pay the compensation when they smash up the gaff with another one of their interminable feuds.
    you won't. you decided to run an establishment selling a mind aultering substance.

bull****. they say it because they mean it. i can be angry about people doing something, i don't call for them to be "put down" because i was brought up with proper morals

You said earlier in this thread that you would agree with the culling of people who dicriminate against travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You said earlier in this thread that you would agree with the culling of people who dicriminate against travellers.

He did!

for yourself and others with such opinions on the traveling community as a whole? gladly
    your words I believe it was to do with sterilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No point arguing with him, he's just a wum. And he's only the second person I'll have ever put on my ignore list, I'd suggest everyone else do the same.

I'd like to know what certain members of this 'ethnic minority group' contribute to society?
    Other than fighting and stealing and scamming... What do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd like to know what certain members of this 'ethnic minority group' contribute to society?
    Other than fighting and stealing and scamming... What do they do?
    You mean like David Joyce, Barrister or Shayne Ward, Singer or Padraig McLochlainn TD or John Joe Nevin, Boxer or Rosaleen McDonagh, Playright?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You mean like David Joyce, Barrister or Shayne Ward, Singer or Padraig McLochlainn TD or John Joe Nevin, Boxer or Rosaleen McDonagh, Playright?

A few of them have broken away from the scummy element and fair play to them.

I'm talking about people like this... http://youtu.be/QrKkJOGty7Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A few of them have broken away from the scummy element and fair play to them.

I'm talking about people like this... http://youtu.be/QrKkJOGty7Y

Your suggestion was that all travellers fight, steal and scam. This clearly is not true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement