Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options
  • 30-10-2014 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

It looks like the small minority of bad apples in the Traveller community is giving the rest a bad name again....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/travellers-jailed-for-attack-on-garda%C3%AD-at-halting-site-1.1982351

I like this bit -
    Mark Lynam, defending, said Thomas McDonagh was taking his newborn child out of the car at the time and thought there was a threat to the baby. He said his client lost control of himself. He grabbed the garda’s official notebook as they tried to take details of the car down and told them “f**k off or you’re dead”.

He then grabbed a claw hammer and raised it over his head in a threatening manner, telling gardaí: “If you don’t leave I will open your head”.

Thomas McDonagh is 22 and has 92 previous convictions and has previously been banned from driving for 20 years. A 2 year sentance seems very lenient considering his record.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Threatening to kill a Garda. Subsequently producing a claw hammer and saying you'll open his head. All while banned from driving for 20 years and with 92 previous conviction.

Traveller or settled, that is the rap sheet of an utter scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Subla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

8 Posts in and the bashing is in full swing. Discuss the topic or don't post. Report any trolling, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

How the hell can a 22 year old have 92 convictions ? The Gardai there are risking their lives pinching these vermin and then judges are wagging fingers at them. What the fcuk is the point in any of it if they are not stopped committing further offences ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Doesn't matter who you are, 92 convictions is beyond a joke. "If I let you free, promise not to do bad things, ok?". Is that how it went each time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ruu wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who you are, 92 convictions is beyond a joke. "If I let you free, promise not to do bad things, ok?". Is that how it went each time?

Ah but think how much money hes barrister has made from free legal aid representing this fine young lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

How the hell can a 22 year old have 92 convictions ?

If you are a serial offender who has been active since your early teens then you could have that many. His offenses are probably all of the less serious variety, eg petty theft etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Why is this news?

This happens day in day out in the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I love stories about travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Berserker wrote: »
    If you are a serial offender who has been active since your early teens then you could have that many. His offenses are probably all of the less serious variety, eg petty theft etc.

Ah yeah, he probably didn't do any harm....92 times before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I love stories about travellers.

Like the ones about how about 10% die before they're 2 years of age?

The endemic unemployment through discrimination?

The escalated suicide rate?

The abominable poverty rate?

The third-world life-expectancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

catallus wrote: »

The life they choose to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Hes a career criminal and when he's released, he'll do something stupid and go away for a much longer stretch, hopefully he doesn't have enough time outside to get to conviction No.100

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find this island so backwards it's unreal.

The sytem protects the thugs/criminals more then the people it should be there for.

I wish the EU would stamp some of this messing out seen as they own us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well thats just silly. When can we say enough is enough with people like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The life they choose to live?

In fairness they can't help what they are born into. I'm sure some have ambitions beyond the norm but they aren't exactly blessed with parents or a community that supports their aspirations. Most parents would be delighted to have a child that wants to stay in school and gain a few qualifications, that seems to be actively discouraged in some traveller families. The real shame is that the State just lets it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

eviltwin wrote: »
    In fairness they can't help what they are born into. I'm sure some have ambitions beyond the norm but they aren't exactly blessed with parents or a community that supports their aspirations. Most parents would be delighted to have a child that wants to stay in school and gain a few qualifications, that seems to be actively discouraged in some traveller families. The real shame is that the State just lets it happen.

I agree with you but they still choose to live that lifestyle and then some choose to get into a life of crime. That's not traveller bashing as i know settled people also choose to take up a life of crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Holsten wrote: »
    Why is this news?

This happens day in day out in the courts.

actually it doesn't unfortunately,

in the last week there has been six cases where gardai have been assaulted and in some cases permanently injured , this is the first case i ve seem where some one has actually got jail for it, although two years with one suspended , and a third remission as standard he will in all likley do 8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That judge should be given some further training in dealing with that type of scum. Perhaps a month living in that caravan site would enlighten him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I agree with you but they still choose to live that lifestyle and then some choose to get into a life of crime. That's not traveller bashing as i know settled people also choose to take up a life of crime.

Oh I agree, all too often with anyone who has a bad start in life it becomes an excuse. People don't want to take personal responsibility but its horrible to see young kids in families where you know they are raised to fail in society. They will get zero encouragement, they are kept off school and have very little help with their education. What hope do they have? I just don't understand why the state allows that kind of lifestyle to flourish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ah yeah, he probably didn't do any harm....92 times before.

I was answering the poster's question as to how someone could building up such an offense list.

I'm not defending him in any way. I would buy an island off the coast of Galway and stick him in it along with similar convicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Surely all sentences should increase if you've already had previous warning.

92 ?

Should be locked away for a very very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Respectable people hit Gardai too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

How would it even be possible to have 92 previous convictions at the age of 22 and still be walking the streets? Its unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

It looks like the small minority of bad apples in the Traveller community is giving the rest a bad name again....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/travellers-jailed-for-attack-on-garda%C3%AD-at-halting-site-1.1982351

I like this bit -

Thomas McDonagh is 22 and has 92 previous convictions and has previously been banned from driving for 20 years. A 2 year sentance seems very lenient considering his record.

LOL

This is a great line that is constantly thrown out by traveller apologists.

I just don't accept this drivel anymore, in the area I live its very much the majority that are causing problems as opposed to the minority and its the same elsewhere.

This has to be accepted if we are ever going to deal with the problems these people cause, they operate outside the law and It gets accepted because its their "culture".

They Dont have to obey the rules of the road, littering and wide spread animal cruelty are but a few major problems these people cause all over Ireland everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Anyone with 92 convictions should be jailed for life. The judicial system in this country is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

eviltwin wrote: »

I fully agree. I come from an area with a fairly large traveller population, some in houses and others in halting sites. I went to primary and secondary school with traveller children, their attendance was sporadic at best, conventional education was not valued by the parents. In my year, not one of my traveller classmates sat the Junior Cert. Now this may have changed somewhat but the problems still persist.

In my working life in this country, I've worked with countless nationalities and cultures but only two travellers, who were brothers. During the economic boom, when we couldn't fill vacancies for low skilled but quite well paid manual work, I asked one of these lads if he knew anyone that might be interested in a job. He said "Sure all I get is laughed at for working. I wouldn't know anyone that'd work here besides me and the brother." I didn't ask why others weren't willing to work when he was but he gave me the impression that his family were in some kind of an "outsider" situation with the rest of the travelling community.

The attitude to mainstream education within the traveller community seems to be the cause of a lot of their problems and causes the lower life expectancy, health issues and crime that they undoubtedly suffer.

However, the state can only offer opportunities, there needs to be cooperation from travellers themselves too in bettering themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd say there's a fair bit of cash stashed away in most halting sites as they seem to operate in a cash economy.

F**ked if I'd try to go in and nick it though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

catallus wrote: »

Almost all of which are their own doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I don't even...
    **** it just put him down....

Advertisement