Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers jailed for attacking Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Radly wrote: »
    Discussions are always shut down here. Go check out a thread similar to this which has been closed and then see who thanks the mod closing it.
    it was closed because it deserved to be

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

its contributing to their families, thats more important then society

In this case, how can being sent to Jail be contributing to their family?

Unless getting a spouse out of the house is a positive, what are the domestic violence rates amongst travellers out of interest???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

92 previous convictions.... this disgrace of a human being should be hung from a very high tree, absolutely disgraceful that creatures like this are free to roam the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Ah here you're just trolling now

jugger0 wrote: »
    92 previous convictions.... this disgrace of a human being should be hung from a very high tree

not at all. doing so would be condoning the crimes, as hanging someone is murder, the state murdering someone, which legitimizes crime
    absolutely disgraceful that creatures like this are free to roam the streets.

yes. thats why we have prisons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Radly

it was closed because it deserved to be

Or because it was ran over the edge a cliff

not at all. doing so would be condoning the crimes, as hanging someone is murder, the state murdering someone, which legitimizes crime

The state would be carrying out a service to its citizens by executing threats to society, this individual is useless and dangerous.

yes. thats why we have prisons

Whats the point of prisons if you dont put people in them?

The state would be carrying out a service to its citizens by executing threats to society

it wouldn't. it would be commiting a crime making the state illegitimate and invalidating it and any laws made by it

it wouldn't. it would be commiting a crime making the state illegitimate and invalidating it and any laws made by it

It has already made itself illegitimate by allowing somebody with 92 convictions to walk the streets and threaten people with murder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That's some moral equivocation right there.

Can you not discriminate between the violence of the criminal and the violence of the State?

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    That's some moral equivocation right there.

Can you not discriminate between the violence of the criminal and the violence of the State?
    no . violence is violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Something travellers know plenty about, ever lived near a halting site? I have, you wouldn't be so quick to play the little violin for them if you saw how they treat the places paid for by your tax money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

for yourself and others with such opinions on the traveling community as a whole? gladly

I see your still hard at work on your "final solution" any of your "BOYS"( as you called them in a previous thread) in to back you up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

When did Irish travellers become an ethnic group? Is this some definition of sociology where race is a social construct? Just curious: the common or garden understanding would have some obvious physical basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

92 previous convictions.... this disgrace of a human being should be hung from a very high tree, absolutely disgraceful that creatures like this are free to roam the streets.
    I'd love to see the list of these.

You'd be surprised how some of these guys can rack them up, multiple crimes in one "session", multiple counts etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

They are not an ethnic group as of yet, but the first steps have been made through legal means, so they will go from a cultural group to an ethnicity...

Right or wrong thats a discussion for a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

When did Irish travellers become an ethnic group? Is this some definition of sociology where race is a social construct? Just curious: the common or garden understanding would have some obvious physical basis.

It's something of a smokescreen. The goal is enhanced rights and entitlements without the nasty burden of responsibilities and of course, paid for by the taxpayer.

Bonus: A swooning class of intellectuals can study them in universities like exotic species and justify dozens of well paid positions and organisations out of pure cloth, protecting and preserving the new "race" albeit without the joys of living anywhere near them.

Jackpot: Anyone dissenting can be silenced, persecuted and (all going well) prosecuted as a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

reprise wrote: »
    It's something of a smokescreen. The goal is enhanced rights and entitlements without the nasty burden of responsibilities and of course, paid for by the taxpayer.

Bonus: A swooning class of intellectuals can study them in universities like exotic species and justify dozens of well paid positions and organisations out of pure cloth, protecting and preserving the new "race" albeit without the joys of living anywhere near them.

Jackpot: Anyone dissenting can be silenced, persecuted and (all going well) prosecuted as a racist.

It's posts like this that remind me how good boards.ie can be sometimes.

Bravo!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So drug dealers and gangs who tie up and rob old people? These activities benefit the familes of those who part-take in these deeds yet destroy society in all sectors whether urban, suburban or especially rural in the latter case. That's what the above statement amounts to. Take the blinkers off. Not even particularly talking about any group with that btw, just pointing out the ridiculousness of what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

+100

the drive for ethnic recognition is about gaining immunity from prosecution and about attaining increased benefits

if travellers are " different " , then offical excuses can be made for their actions

fully agree about the liberals who gush all over their " cause " , they view it as a kind of college civics project

the intelectual left has always had a soft sport for people and groups who live outside the mainstream which makes perfect sense as they despise the mainstream middle class above all who they view as having refused to partake in the revolution

travellers at least are not playing ball with society , that travellers are anything but progressive and liberal on many hot button issue for liberals is ignored , then again they do the same with muslims , the left are only interested in the " intollerances " of whites

If travellers were the same as everyone else you wouldn't be harping on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Grayson wrote: »
    If travellers were the same as everyone else you wouldn't be harping on about them.

They are different only in that they refuse to integrate with modern society and contribute in any way whatsoever. They are claiming they are different because they are effectively a different race entirely which is quite obviously absolute bull**** and their biggest scam attempt against the country to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

You know these settled sites?

Do they pay for electricity and gas etc?

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are different only in that they refuse to integrate with modern society and contribute in any way whatsoever. They are claiming they are different because they are effectively a different race entirely which is quite obviously absolute bull**** and their biggest scam attempt against the country to date

You even said it there. That they don't integrate. That means that they're a separate group with different traditions etc... there's next to no intermarriage with the settled community. That makes them a separate cultural group and possibly a separate ethnic group. If they do legally become a separate ethnic group then they will have to have met a number of criteria. If they don't meet those criteria then they won't be.

I grew up in a town that had a load of traveller families. There was trouble with some of them. They were absolute scum. Others weren't though. There was one family that had kids who went on to become doctors and solicitors. Most of the nice families weren't like that though. they didn't have a great education and so had to find otherways to make money. It's understandable in some ways. The children would be frowned upon and probably ignored by other kids in their class. And parents who don't have an education might not see the value in having one.

There's one thing that nearly everyone who hates travellers has in common. they don't actually know any. They've never sat down and had a pint or a meal with them. They are quite happy to label them all as scum with far less evidence than they would require for anyone else.

You even said it there. That they don't integrate. That means that they're a separate group with different traditions etc... there's next to no intermarriage with the settled community. That makes them a separate cultural group and possibly a separate ethnic group. If they do legally become a separate ethnic group then they will have to have met a number of criteria. If they don't meet those criteria then they won't be.

I grew up in a town that had a load of traveller families. There was trouble with some of them. They were absolute scum. Others weren't though. There was one family that had kids who went on to become doctors and solicitors. Most of the nice families weren't like that though. they didn't have a great education and so had to find otherways to make money. It's understandable in some ways. The children would be frowned upon and probably ignored by other kids in their class. And parents who don't have an education might not see the value in having one.

There's one thing that nearly everyone who hates travellers has in common. they don't actually know any. They've never sat down and had a pint or a meal with them. They are quite happy to label them all as scum with far less evidence than they would require for anyone else.

The point is they choose to do all these thing's, but you cannot suddenly choose to be a different ethnicity just to suit the scam you are trying to run to get free money and avoid prosecution through legal loopholes.

I have met traveller's but I would wager my first experience meeting them was likely similar to many other's and enough to put me off trying another one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I grew up in a town that had a load of traveller families..

they didn't have a great education and so had to find otherways to make money.

I am just taking a few parts of your post, Grayson.
    I would have to disagree about your sentence regarding education.
    The families in your town had exactly the same educational opportunities as you yourself had.
    They just chose/couldn't be bothered to/actively discouraged to send their children to school.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The families in your town had exactly the same educational opportunities as you yourself had.
    They just chose/couldn't be bothered to/actively discouraged to send their children to school.

No they didn't. I went to a private school after doing an entrance exam.

And even then, they didn't have the same advantage. they didn't have my parents. And their parents didn't have my grandparents. Our families are the greatest advantage we have growing up.
    I also wasn't shunned by the greater community (despite being a blowin :)) .

the obstacles faced by a traveller child and his/hers families are tremendous. I'm not saying that we should excuse bad behaviour when it happens. I'm saying that we should at least understand where it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Maybe discouraging/not bothered going to school is part of their Ethnicity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

catallus wrote: »
    Like the ones about how about 10% die before they're 2 years of age?

The endemic unemployment through discrimination?

The escalated suicide rate?

The abominable poverty rate?

The third-world life-expectancy?

Poverty? Not where I'm from.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Maybe discouraging/not bothered going to school is part of their Ethnicity ;)

Just like burning their home's, leaving trash everywhere they go and let's not forget racing horses on motorways and leaving their corpses there to rot when they have run them ragged, all part of their charming culture

Advertisement