Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likeable Irish Celebs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think it's a fair question though. I'm sure he's fine (I don't know anything about the kind of person he really is) but politicians are not going to be rude to the people who vote for them. I wouldn't expect anything else, even if he really was a prik.

I was working in a drop in centre for homeless people , he called in a year after he opened it , what impressed me whether right or wrong was the way he sat at a table having a cup of tea with homeless addicts .
    Context is everything ,my post lacked detail ,Miriam O Callaghan was similar , Des Bishop seemed shy and overawed by the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Easy to be nice when you earn in excess of 200,000 euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Brendan Courtney is a nice chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I guess off-camera some people really ARE different. Maybe he's not an obnoxious, annoying head wreck after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I guess off-camera some people really ARE different. Maybe he's not an obnoxious, annoying head wreck after all!

Maybe it's the same with Jeremy Kyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

I grew up with Brendan. He is the nicest guy in world and a loyal friend. One of the few friends growing up I am happy to have had as friend. Someone said Niall Quinn. I have the strongest feeling he is a lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Shortly afterwards I met Enda Kenny , very polite and friendly with none of the expected ****e.

if he could come across on tv how he comes across in person he would be infinitely more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ohhhhhh Im sorry for posting. Xxxxx

I suppose he shouldn't have put it that way. He does have a point I remember ages over 20 years ago Ian Paisley was supposed to have been in Tralee Golf Club and was meant to be very nice, the meet and greet is the bread an butter of a politician's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I was working in a drop in centre for homeless people , he called in a year after he opened it , what impressed me whether right or wrong was the way he sat at a table having a cup of tea with homeless addicts .
    Context is everything ,my post lacked detail ,Miriam O Callaghan was similar , Des Bishop seemed shy and overawed by the environment.

I wouldn't have actually expected Enda to be anything but affable but it's hard not to judge even the most affable person on their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Ryan Tubridy is a gentleman. About 10 yrs ago he was in our local bookshop, he chatted for ages to my daughter, asking her all about books she liked at the time. She asked him for a Holey Moley mug, and he said if she wrote to him, and reminded him where he met her, he would. Sure enough, she was sent the mug within weeks. Met him again in 2010, on his Bucket and Spade Tour, with another daughter. He took time with everyone once off air, and happily posed for photos with her. I was at the Late Late last year, and once again, such a nice man. I think I may love him a little :)
    Pat Ingoldsby is another very nice celeb, met him many years ago, when he used to do the Giving Trees at Christmas time.
    Nell McCafferty is sound, met her through work, a few years back.
    Marian Keyes is lovely, got a book signed by her.
    Met Terry Wogan and Mick McCarthy at a golf tournament, both very nice.
    Said hello to Charlie Bird, like a little groupie, opposite the Dail. Have always had a thing for him:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

realies wrote: »
    Roddy Doyle

Sinead o Connor

Finbar fury

A thunderbollox of epic proportions

Michael Mc Elhatton is a totally sound bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

73Cat wrote: »
    Pat Ingoldsby is another very nice celeb, met him many years ago, when he used to do the Giving Trees at Christmas time.

Jesus that's going back a few years! You reminded me of the time I met Andy Ruane when they were doing the Fanta Roadshow - the guy was like a jet ball on speed! Just so much energy and enthusiasm, he was like one of those people that instead of inspiring energy in you, he sucked the life out of you just watching him flit about the place, very nice man though all the same, just too much though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Niall Quinn is sound out.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Shane Filan, lost everything but took it on the chin. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Imelda May - Her quiff is made out of grease from the deep fat fryer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

My brother swears that years ago, when he was in college, he and a friend went to the cinema only to find themselves two quid short of the cost of two tickets. His friend spotted Ryan Tubridy in the queue and tried to convince my brother to ask him for the money; my brother flatly refused, but Tubridy heard his name and looked up. My brother explained apologetically that his friend wanted to scab two quid off him, at which point Tubridy reached into his pocket and handed him the two euro. To this day, my aggressively hipster brother will not hear a word against Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

mikom wrote: »
    Easy to be nice when you earn in excess of 200,000 euro a year.

It's easy to be nice when your unemployed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Mikom is a little like Darcy, used to seem pleasant and funny and almost universally liked. But now comes across or bitter and frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not as easy............ especially when someone is looking to "borrow" two euro out of your dole to gain access to the cinema.
    Mikom is a little like Darcy, used to seem pleasant and funny and almost universally liked. But now comes across or bitter and frustrated.

It all went tits up when I left Jo-maxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

I'd say Dylan Moran would be great craic to have a few pints with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Jesus that's going back a few years! You reminded me of the time I met Andy Ruane when they were doing the Fanta Roadshow - the guy was like a jet ball on speed! Just so much energy and enthusiasm, he was like one of those people that instead of inspiring energy in you, he sucked the life out of you just watching him flit about the place, very nice man though all the same, just too much though :)

About 1984/85, I think. My sister was about 5 at the time, and I remember my Dad running after him, carrying her, so she could say hello. Would have been around the time of Pat's Chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

porsche959 wrote: »
    He's a politician, and a very successful one. What did you expect him to do, nut you in the balls?

A now you're having a laugh. He's a puppet, a very obedient puppet. I've never seen a more gormless Irish 'leader' who seems to be totally bereft of self-thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Lyger wrote: »
    I heard Celia Holman Lee wasn't a pleasant individual all right but I ended up talking to her by chance once and she seemed very nice. Although I know one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I haven't the faintest idea who she is.I know I could Google her but I have to ask myself is it worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

retalivity wrote: »
    Has the misfortune of dealing with o'driscoll a few times in a dublin establishment nearly 10 yrs ago...a complete Bellend, very uppity/snobbish. Not a once off either.

My genuinely nice celeb would be Niall Quinn, met him a pub in Castleknock and he was sound. Also, Paul brady

A friend met Paul Brady by chance a while back ,had a big chat with him.Very nice guy he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

K.C wrote: »
    Shane Filan, lost everything but took it on the chin. Fair play

Years ago many in Sligo would've agreed.
    But now many were left seriously out of pocket by this guy without the ability to declare themselves bankrupt abroad and then cynically release a new album the day after they left the bankruptcy process followed by a book, tour etc etc.
    They lost a lot and took it on the chin whereas Shane Filan was really just another speculator, a terrifically poor one at that, who has contributed to the financial problems of this country and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The very man I was just thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Met him in work with his wife and kids. He is exactly like you would imagine him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Its kinda entered the realm of urban legend but I WAS THERE! When..
    Will Ferrel, his brother and dad visited Longford looking up their O'farrel roots and not only visited Farrels pub accepted rounds graciously, bought their rounds and then went to a house party. Utterly without fan fare and pomp.

I'll one up you here. My parents were in Farrell's pub when they came in, around half 7 or so. They hadn't a clue who Will was but his dad asked my parents if they could tell him where would be a good place to go for Farrell family history etc. My parents invited them to sit down and they were chatting away for a while when it came up in conversation that Will was a famous actor.

My mam rang me and asked if I knew who Will Ferrell was because they were having a pint with him. I said I did and there was no way a Hollywood actor was in a Longford pub. I said it was probably someone having them on looking for free drink or something. She put him on the phone to me and he said "Hi it's Will". I said "there's no way that this is Will Ferrell. Don't be taking the piss out of my parents and fcuk off". Then I hung up.

I felt like such a plonker when I started seeing all the pics and messages later then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Samantha Mumba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Samantha Mumba

Last heard of playing for Bolton until she had a banger on the pitch , oh wait was that not Fabrice Muamba.

Advertisement