Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likeable Irish Celebs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Ray D'Arcy, one of the nicest guys I have met.

Yeah, don't get the D'Arcy dislike from some people - he used to come into where I worked as a student and was always lovely and polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Yeah, don't get the D'Arcy dislike from some people - he used to come into where I worked as a student and was always lovely and polite.

I think it may be his broadcasting style (or lack of). He's a bit of a rough diamond, speaks plainly, off the cuff and not always particulary articulately, the way our annoying opinionated mates would in the pub.
    I like that and having met Mr darcy I agree he's a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think it may be his broadcasting style (or lack of). He's a bit of a rough diamond, speaks plainly, off the cuff and not always particulary articulately, the way our annoying opinionated mates would in the pub.
    I like that and having met Mr darcy I agree he's a nice guy.

I used to love listening to him, but over the last couple of years he's become a miserable ****e. Talking about how awful this country is non stop, sighing down the radio and just general pessimism. He's one of the biggest hippicrits on radio too I feel. All talk, but then that's radio for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

I found Ray D'arcy not particularly friendly (and I wasn't biased, as at the time I only thought of him as the cheery children's TV presenter) but it could have been shyness too. Sometimes the latter is confused with/can come across as standoffishness.

Ian Dempsey is a lovely man - totally the same as on radio.

Ryan Tubridy's shameless FF endorsing on-air does my head in, but I do agree he seems like he could be a nice fella in real life.

Lyger wrote: »
    I found Ray D'arcy not particularly friendly (and I wasn't biased, as at the time I only thought of him as the cheery children's TV presenter) but it could have been shyness too. Sometimes the latter is confused with/can come across as standoffishness.

Ian Dempsey is a lovely man - totally the same as on radio.

Ryan Tubridy's shameless FF endorsing on-air does my head in, but I do agree he seems like he could be a nice fella in real life.

I think ray Darcy is shy, private and very uncomfortable with his 'celebrity'. I met him via work and he was utterly charming but when joe public would approach him he always seemed flummoxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I met Pauline MClynn when she was acting in the Taming of the Shrew in Glor in Ennis a few years ago. She was very friendly, and I got her autograph

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Martin King and Simon Delaney....really decent skins

Also met Larry Mullen when he came into the place I was working for a meal, he was just so humble and unassuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yeah, don't get the D'Arcy dislike from some people

It's Ireland, some people just hate success and love begrudgery & misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

It's Ireland, some people just hate success and love begrudgery & misery.
    I have seen this suggestion a lot here - most recently a thread in the Rock forum about U2.
    Why is it seen as an Irish thing only? And why would the dislike of Ray D'arcy automatically be due to his success?

There seemed to be quite a liking for Ray when he was a children's TV presenter and in the early years of his Today FM show.
    Dislike started to seep in though when he became increasingly sanctimonious on his show - complaining about Irish people yet not suggesting any alternatives himself to the country's woes (saying he'd leave the country if FG got into government summed up this "all talk" side to him) and when he became a parent, he didn't just become a parent, he became one of those "My point of view is more valid because I'm a parent" parents.
    This is only his radio persona for sure, but that's all most people have to go on.

Its kinda entered the realm of urban legend but I WAS THERE! When..
    Will Ferrel, his brother and dad visited Longford looking up their O'farrel roots and not only visited Farrels pub accepted rounds graciously, bought their rounds and then went to a house party. Utterly without fan fare and pomp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Brian Dowling is one of the nicest I've met.
    Mad as a box of badgers but a real genuine chap.

ETA: Another vote for Martin King. A quiet man actually, very understated and inherently decent. Met him for the first time standing at the printer when I was interning in his workplace years ago, made some awkward small talk about how ridiculously early it was and then five minutes later he stopped by my desk with a big cup of coffee for me! Chuffed I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

The lad who plays Fran in Love/Hate strikes me as being a sound fella.

My mate met him out while he was with a girl. Friend asked was she a dirtbird or a ladybird. Fran wasn't too impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

mfceiling wrote: »
    . Mary Kennedy has to be in there.

She has developed a good public persona, but scratch the surface and it's not all sunshine & lollipops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ah yeah BOD comes accross as a very sincere and genuine nice guy.

Has the misfortune of dealing with o'driscoll a few times in a dublin establishment nearly 10 yrs ago...a complete Bellend, very uppity/snobbish. Not a once off either.

My genuinely nice celeb would be Niall Quinn, met him a pub in Castleknock and he was sound. Also, Paul brady

retalivity wrote: »
    Has the misfortune of dealing with o'driscoll a few times in a dublin establishment nearly 10 yrs ago...a complete Bellend, very uppity/snobbish. Not a once off either.

My genuinely nice celeb would be Niall Quinn, met him a pub in Castleknock and he was sound. Also, Paul brady

Perhaps this thread simply goes to prove the celebs , just like anyone, have good and bad days. Anytime Ive met Paul Brady he's been a dick!! But obviously was grand with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

paul mcgrath is a really sound fella. I met him once at a charity golf event.I have read his book too all though i didn't tell him that.its a good read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Have met a lot of 'celebs' involved in Irish film actors and while most are sound apart from the odd few, Brendan Gleeson would stand out as being the soundest. Neil Jordan a close second.

Colin Farrell, while I haven't met him myself, just attended a good few film premieres he's spoken at, has to be said, has come across as being very down to earth and generous with his time. On more than one occasion I've seen him yapping away to people that had just went up to him to say hello, for maybe ten, fifteen minutes or more, often to the point where he has delayed screening times. I mention that as he seems to have a but of reputation for being stand offish and from what I've seen at least, that couldn't be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think ray Darcy is shy, private and very uncomfortable with his 'celebrity'. I met him via work and he was utterly charming but when joe public would approach him he always seemed flummoxed!
    He talks about his family and inane aspects of his personal life a lot for a private guy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I met Miriam O Callaghan and Des Bishop through work a few years both came across as being very sincere and nice with Des almost shy.
    Shortly afterwards I met Enda Kenny , very polite and friendly with none of the expected ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Des Cahill seems a decent sort of chap,( never met the bloke though might be a sociopath ! )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Michael Lyster is one of those few people that nobody has had a bad thing to say about in RTE. Lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Bono
    Twink
    Linda Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Met Michael Flatley years ago, he is ok, surprisingly down-to-earth. Smoked rollies. I kind you not.

Shortly afterwards I met Enda Kenny , very polite and friendly with none of the expected ****e.

He's a politician, and a very successful one. What did you expect him to do, nut you in the balls?

Lyger wrote: »

Knew him slightly at college and people would say he was a born politician, actually most people thought he would go into politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

porsche959 wrote: »
    He's a politician, and a very successful one. What did you expect him to do, nut you in the balls?

Ohhhhhh Im sorry for posting. Xxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I think it's a fair question though. I'm sure he's fine (I don't know anything about the kind of person he really is) but politicians are not going to be rude to the people who vote for them. I wouldn't expect anything else, even if he really was a prik.

Didn't mean to be rude, but I think even the likes of Norman Tebbit would be polite on meet and greets with members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

I'll second whoever said Saoirse Ronan.I met her in my work a few weeks back and she couldn't have been nicer.Very friendly and funny and was quite happy to chat away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pecker Dunne was a nice man.

Advertisement