Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likeable Irish Celebs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Does Mary Robinson count? I met her years and years ago through a school thing. We were all standing in a guard of honour. Even though I left her hanging when she got to me and put her hand out to shake (I completely froze!), she still stood and chatted to me and my sis for ten munutes and posed for a photo with us. Still a fond memory :).

Miriam O'Callaghan seems lovely, would love to meet her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Danny O'Reilly from The Coronas, seems sound as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aiden Walsh, Master of the Universe.

I've loads!! On a roll here!

Do you remember him?

I mention him from time to time and nobody know the fcuk I am on about!!

"The Community Games" song:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Angela Scanlon, she seems sound and I definitely would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Do you remember him?

I mention him from time to time and nobody know the fcuk I am on about!!

"The Community Games" song:D

I remember him very well. I used to have a friend in college who did a brilliant impersonations of him. We'd be in tears. He also met him a few times and used to relay the conversations to us. Fooking hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Carlow man Elvis Presley.

TheBeardedLady,

You just my made my day!!

Joe Dolan, Lovely guy.

He made dinner for me, I asked what it was, and he replied...."Its stew, its stew, its stew, your the only one..."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Real Life wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy was always now of those people i loved to hate but I've met him twice and he was really sound both times and now i don't know what to think anymore.
    I don't like him as a presenter but he does seem to be sound enough

I saw Tubridy spend a good few minutes outside Hueston Station a few years back with a bunch of teenage girls who all wanted selfies with him. I'd said his head gets wrecked with that sh1t anytime he is out in public but in fairness to him he was an absolute gentleman and chatted away to them after all the photos were taken.

I think the main reason people don't like Tubs is because of his smarmy nature on the Late Late, its also because as a presenter he isn't actually that good and his shows often hit bum notes. I used to hate the patronising nature of Gay Byrne but looking back now Tubridy will never be half the presenter Byrne was because Byrne had charisma and was a showman. Tubs doesn't even look like he wants to be there half the time and he stumbles awkwardly through interviews asking all the wrong questions. On top of all this he clearly has a Fianna Fail bias as evidenced in his interviews with Bertie where it was like two lads having a pint and a laugh compared to his interview with Enda Kenny where he tore strips out of him. I think they are the main reasons why many people don't like him, not because he is up his own arse because he does seem to be a gentleman when out in public IMO.

I've heard nothing but good things about Twink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Dave Fanning. Is he still about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Joe Dolan, Lovely guy.

He made dinner for me, I asked what it was, and he replied...."Its stew, its stew, its stew, your the only one..."
    There's the door

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I like Stephen Rea as an actor but I don't know what he's like in person. I would hope he's sound.

I'd love to have pints with Dara O'Brian and Keith Wood.....two spud-headed gentlemen.

Gleeson is sound and so is Colm Meaney.

Wonder what Cillian Murphy is like in real life....would he be down to earth or a bit avant-garde? Either way, I think I'd like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I've heard nothing but good things about Twink

I think that mayy be toungue in cheek. I heard she's not very nice but again I've never met her. But you of course could be right.

Ronan Keating always comes across as a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Joe Dolan, Lovely guy.

That's very good....

Met Ardal O Hanlon a few years ago. The chap is wired and very eccentric but sound as a bell

Dave Fanning. Is he still about?

I'd say he is a nice guy. I still listen to him on the radio on Saturdays. Many moons ago, he used to include a kind of film critic thing on his evening radio show, and he recommended "Withnail and I", and for that, I am eternally grateful. One of my favourite films of all time.

I'd say he is a nice guy. I still listen to him on the radio on Saturdays. Many moons ago, he used to include a kind of film critic thing on his evening radio show, and he recommended "Withnail and I", and for that, I am eternally grateful. One of my favourite films of all time.
    He used to come into bewleys in Balckrock a lot when I worked there years ago, he was always very rude

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Actually anyone here ever bumped into Van Morrison ? Urban legend is he refers to everyone as motherfcuker and comes across as a right arrogant twat but those who know him say thats just Van.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'm disappointed Aonghus McAnally has not featured here so far :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Does anyone know Don Wycherly?

Great actor. He did a reality thing for RTE a few years ago he seemed a decent, humble man.

He used to come into bewleys in Balckrock a lot when I worked there years ago, he was always very rude

Well, there ya go, thats that bubble burst.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Actually anyone here ever bumped into Van Morrison ? Urban legend is he refers to everyone as motherfcuker and comes across as a right arrogant twat but those who know him say thats just Van.

There is an old story about Bob Dylan asked what he thoiught of Van Morrison, and he replied that "Morrison is a grumpy bastard":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

There is an old story about Bob Dylan asked what he thoiught of Van Morrison, and he replied that "Morrison is a grumpy bastard":D

Coming from Dylan, thats saying something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

leakyboots wrote: »
    I'm disappointed Aonghus McAnally has not featured here so far :(

i met him once when i was about 9 or 10, lovely fella . bought me and my mother tea and kitkats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well, there ya go, thats that bubble burst.

Don't take it to heart. I've worked with him and he's a lovely guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

DeadHand wrote: »
    Does anyone know Don Wycherly?

Great actor. He did a reality thing for RTE a few years ago he seemed a decent, humble man.

Knew him in the pre-Bachelor's Walk days - ie the early 90s.

Grand chap to go for a pint or watch a film wtih. His brother too. They worked as bouncers at the time on Leeson St, Don was just getting started on the stage - and his mammy was happy that he had 'the teaching to fall back on'.

Sound lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard from a cousin of my friend they're all sound but then again I've also heard from a friend of my cousin that they're all stuck up bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ken Doherty is an absolute gent. Was at a fundraiser he arranged for Alex Higgins, and he had time to chat to everyone. Unlike Alex, who lived up to his reputation as a horrible, obnoxious pr!k

Back when working as a waiter, I served Hector and the Saw Doctors a few times. Seriously sound lads. Tommy Tiernan, not so much

My Dad met Brendan O'Carroll and said he was very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Another vote for Martin King. He called me up at work once with a question and was every bit as affable and pleasant as he is on the telly. I have spoken to quite a few well known TV personalities, and he is my favourite so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Tom Dunne, ex-Today FM and Something Happens hobbit.

Advertisement