Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more irish water nonsense

Options
  • 29-08-2014 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else completely stumped with this water thing? I really don't know what to do. Its like i want to pay it just for peace and quiet but i am sickened to the pit of my gut by the whole setup- i know its rotten to the core. Bills for the sake of it and jackboot P.R. Pay 'x' amount or pay '2x' just because...all to pay banks / bondholders or whatever.(if its not given to them directly its filling a gap left by monies given). I really am thinking of taking my chances with the dribbling tap, no washing machine, back to washing at the sink with a kettle of water. Madness it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I'm usually not of "the damn gubberment!" disposition, but Irish Water seems like an absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Well at least the streets are litter free, the parks beautifully landscaped, the potholes filled in etc all thanks to the property tax :)

This can only be a good thing. I envisage, clean drinking water for all! Except Galway :)

It was a bit shaky for the rest of the country there for a while. But thankfully our government swooped in to make sure those pesky evil septic tanks didn't kill our nations babies for the future export market.

Cows still pooping everywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

steveone wrote: »
    Is anyone else completely stumped with this water thing?

It's just another stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭emo72

Molotov cocktails ready to fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

policarp wrote: »
    It's just another stealth tax.

I'm pro water rates and always have been. But, having seen how this has progressed from the initial outline to what's currently in place I have to agree. It's hard to see how it's anything other than a jobs for the boys club and an excessive, politicised tax grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

Total farce. Just another means of putting a public service into capitalist hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I'm pro water rates and always have been. But, having seen how this has progressed from the initial outline to what's currently in place I have to agree. It's hard to see how it's anything other than a jobs for the boys club and an excessive, politicised tax grab.

Apparently (I haven't seen any definitive proof, I'd appreciate some if anyone has any though) water rates have always existed here just that they were raised through general taxation instead of a specific "charge".

Is Irish Water being set up to cover the rest of the water cost (presuming enough money isn't being raised already) or just as another way of increasing revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

Nothing wrong with water charges but they were already being paid through general taxation. And if they were not then the local councils could have been allowed charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Apparently (I haven't seen any definitive proof, I'd appreciate some if anyone has any though) water rates have always existed here just that they were raised through general taxation instead of a specific "charge".

no, there used to be rates paid by households that covered them until FF abolished them to buy an election. since then they've been part paid by tax but mostly by borrowing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#The_first_abolition_of_domestic_water_charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

no, there used to be rates paid by households that covered them until FF abolished them to buy an election. since then they've been part paid by tax but mostly by borrowing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#The_first_abolition_of_domestic_water_charges

One of the biggest mistakes ever made was to abolish household rates. . .IMO.
    It was paid to the local authority and was used for bin collection, water, sewage, street cleaning, street lighting, libraries, parks and gardens and many more services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Isn't there already a bunch of threads on this topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

As with everything else in life, be wary of the small print.

The application forms for your (not great, when you consider we've around the highest water charges in europe) 'free' allowance, is actually a contract, in which you agree to becoming a customer of Irish Waters, and give them permission to start charging you for a utility you're already paying for through income tax, vat etc.
    IrishWater are promoting these forms as if they are applications for the  free allowances – but in reality the form is really a contract to agree to be a customer of Irish Water and to set up a customer account with them.

So why aren't Irish Water calling the 'application pack' a contract, if that's what it actually Is, what are they worried about :confused:
    On the forms it states  “  It is an offence under the Water Services Act, 2007 (as amended) to knowingly provide false or misleading information in this form and a person who does so is liable to a fine on summary conviction. By completing and returning this form, I declare that to the best of my knowledge all of the information provided is true and accurate. If I have confirmed that I am connected to the public water main and/or the public sewer then I declare that I am a customer of Irish Water, otherwise I am declaring that I am not a customer of Irish Water . Where I have declared I am a customer of Irish Water, I am confirming I have the authority to open an account at the premises and that I am liable for water charges at the premises . I confirm that I will advise Irish Water if there is any material change to the information provided in this form

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/irish-water

What happens if you refuse to engage with them, if you refuse to sign a contract, what powers have they to charge you, and if your unmetered, how will they reduce your pressure?

I don't no how a company you're not a customer of can demand payment from you for their services you never requested.

^^ Sounds like freeman bollixology tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Should outsource it to a British company,bound to have spare capacity for a million or two households.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Jonblack

no, there used to be rates paid by households that covered them until FF abolished them to buy an election.

The vat rate was increased to cover the rates. The car tax was also cut and fuel duty increased. Two good short term election winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Phoebas wrote: »

err, no, sounds like a Private company wants people to sign a contract. What if people don't want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,062 ✭✭✭✭L1011

err, no, sounds like a Private company wants people to sign a contract. What if people don't want to?

What private company?

What if people don't want to?
    They can stop using the IW water and waste water services.

Isn't there already a bunch of threads on this topic?

Oh look, more negative attention.

Get the debate shut down lads, quick.

What bit? All I did was copy and paste an extract from the actual dubiously formed contract information pack. Then asked what could happen homes not metered if they refuse to sign, and therefore are not customers of Irish Water?

How will they be disconnected, or as that's not permitted, reduced?

How come if you question a government policy, or Irish Water gave charge around here, you're either a 'Shinnerbot' or spouting 'freeman nonsense' :confused:

MYOB wrote: »
    What private company?

Irish Water.

They're a for profit organisation aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I have no problem paying for water, but it better be spring quality coming out my tap not the sh1te we have at the moment, as it is we can't drink it and buy 10l a week.

What private company?

So it's not a private company? Cool. No need to sign a contract so. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh look, more negative attention.

Get the debate shut down lads, quick.

What bit? All I did was copy and paste an extract from the actual dubiously formed contract information pack. Then asked what could happen homes not metered if they refuse to sign, and therefore are not customers of Irish Water?

How will they be disconnected, or as that's not permitted, reduced?

How come if you question a government policy, or Irish Water gave charge around here, you're either a 'Shinnerbot' or spouting 'freeman nonsense' :confused:

Pointing out that there is already a thread on this topic is hardly trying to get a debate "shut down" now is it? :confused:

So it's not a private company? Cool. No need to sign a contract so. Thanks for that.

Why would you sign anyway? Sure you had 2 wells sunk and a €300,000 state of the art pumphouse built for this :D

Irish Water.

They're a for profit organisation aren't they?

That's not the definition of a private company. Irish Water are not a private company.

Why would you sign anyway? Sure you had 2 wells sunk and a €13,000 state of the art pumphouse built for this :D

FYP. I posted in a thread on Peugeots there yesterday and that doesn't affect me either. rebel that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That's not the definition of a private company. Irish Water are not a private company.

They will be when it's sold .

FYP. I posted in a thread on Peugeots there yesterday and that doesn't affect me either. rebel that I am.

My bad, fat fingers caused da typoz :D

kneemos wrote: »
    They will be when it's sold .

Which isn't going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From reading on semi-states in general there primary purposes seem to be for the government to both show "something is being done" and to deflect blame "it is X agencies fault". They are prone to be difficult to define, lack a cohesive foundation aim beyond existing and have staff with little/no accountable to the people.

Irish Water is a tax collection agency for a service that is one the few things a state should have control and funding out of its core competencies in general tax collection, and thus shows how out of control tax and spend is still in this country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement