Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more irish water nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MYOB wrote: »
    Which isn't going to happen

No more expenditure on water,not responsible for water charges?Dont see why they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That's not the definition of a private company. Irish Water are not a private company.

Here's a screen shot of the bottom of their Web page, www.water.ie

For those on mobile.
    Irish Water. Private Company Limited by Shares . Registered Office Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1. Registered in Ireland. Registered No. 530363

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Here's a screen shot of the bottom of their Web page, www.water.ie

For those on mobile.

Owned 100% by the state and hence a public company.

Standard freeman nonsense to run with a gross misinterpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If I pay a license fee for my dog, will he get a water allowance. I mean he pays his license and enjoys his cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have no problem paying for water but I don't want to pay for water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I really wish the pro government lobby on here would come up with a more cohesive argument then repeating this mantra over and over again. I appreciate that it's difficult to defend the indefensible but throwing slurs at those with an opposing view in the lack of any form of intelligent view point really doesn't make for a good debate and does nothing to support your position. On the contrary, it has the opposite effect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Swanner wrote: »
    I really wish the pro government lobby on here would come up with a more cohesive argument then repeating this mantra over and over again. I appreciate that it's difficult to defend the indefensible but throwing slurs at those with an opposing view in the lack of any form of intelligent view point really doesn't make for a good debate and does nothing to support your position. On the contrary, it has the opposite effect.

When the "opposing view" is nothing more than a complete failure to think, what do you propose instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

When the "opposing view" is, in my humble opinion, nothing more than a complete failure to think, what do you propose instead?

FYP

Owned 100% by the state and hence a public company.

Ah yeah, that's it, I'm a freeman of the land, travelling to work lol.

Well sorry for my ignorance, but if a company website states that it's a private company, and registered as such, what else are we to assume?

Why the need to register a government body as a private entity, I'm not up to speed on how this works (admittedly) but I'm going by their website.

Aside from that, anyone care to answer this part.
    Then asked what could happen homes not metered if they refuse to sign, and therefore are not customers of Irish Water? 

How will they be disconnected, or as that's not permitted, reduced? 

Why produce a contract that is masquerading as a friendly 'information pack' why not call it a contract, if that's what it is?

Lot of insult slinging, but no one seems willing to answer.

Why the need to register a government body as a private entity, I'm not up to speed on how this works (admittedly) but I'm going by their website.

All semi-states are registered as Ltd companies or even PLCs. Its how they ensure they can have their own borrowings, own credit rating, etc. Doesn't stop them being public bodies.

• Advertisement

All semi-states are registered as Ltd companies or even PLCs. Its how they ensure they can have their own borrowings, own credit rating, etc. Doesn't stop them being public bodies.

Any thoughts on the contract, and repercussions for non metered houses who refuse to engage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Any thoughts on the contract, and repercussions for non metered houses who refuse to engage?

Hopefully no water .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

papu wrote: »
    Hopefully no water .

When myself and my housemate are out of the country for three weeks in Nov, could we ask Irish Water not to bill us for those three weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I heard down the bookies that if you don't sign the contract, spin around three times on one leg during a full moon and say "Bloody Mary" eight times into a bathroom mirror then the ghost of Charlie Haughey will appear and give you free water for life.

Can anyone confirm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Daith wrote: »
    When myself and my housemate are out of the country for three weeks in Nov, could we ask Irish Water not to bill us for those three weeks?

Do you ask other utility companies to do the same usually?

I heard down the bookies that if you don't sign the contract, spin around three times on one leg during a full moon and say "Bloody Mary" eight times into a bathroom mirror then the ghost of Charlie Haughey will appear and give you free water for life.

Can anyone confirm?

Free water? Sure everyone has been paying for water through tax. Not paying enough yes but never "free" water.

Will you be asking for those 3 weeks off your TV license too?

Do you ask other utility companies to do the same usually?

My ESB bill and Bord Gais bill would reflect the fact that we haven't been using electricity or gas?

My TV licence bill is a utility I use?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Government wouldn't need a contract to impose charges,a private company might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If you refuse to engage with them and you don't have a meter you'll be billed by them per the 'default assessed charge' (page 7 of the application guide).

Any idea that you don't have to pay because you refuse to enter a 'contract' with them is just freeman style nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TV is not a resource utility that you are charged for by the amount you use so that comparison is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If you have a meter just don't leave the taps running and you'll be ok.

Phoebas wrote: »
    If you have a meter just don't leave the taps running and you'll be ok.

We won't have a meter. Thanks!

I can tell Tesco to stop delivering our weekly shopping for that three weeks!

kneemos wrote: »
    The Government wouldn't need a contract to impose charges,a private company might though.

This is why I'm confused.

Why the need for a contract to begin with, and why dupe homeowners by portraying it as an information pack/application for free allowances?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you ask your insurance company to knock 3 weeks off your car insurance?

Ask ESB to knock off 3 weeks charge?

Ask to knock 3 weeks off your car tax?

How about knocking 3 weeks off your Sky/UPC tv and broadband?

Do you ask your insurance company to knock 3 weeks off your car insurance?

Not a valid comparison. Insurance is not a utility bill.
    Ask ESB to knock off 3 weeks charge?

It will be reflected in my bill. I don't need to ask them.
    Ask to knock 3 weeks off your car tax?
    Not a valid comparison.
    How about knocking 3 weeks off your Sky/UPC tv and broadband?

We signed up for a one year contract so again not a valid comparison.

Can you just compare utility bills versus utility bills? Cheers!

VinLieger wrote: »
    TV is not a resource utility that you are charged for by the amount you use so that comparison is pointless

A bill is a bill , "resource utilities" aren't paid for by special euros.

Phoebas wrote: »
    If you refuse to engage with them and you don't have a meter you'll be billed by them per the 'default assessed charge' (page 7 of the application guide).

Any idea that you don't have to pay because you refuse to enter a 'contract' with them is just freeman style nonsense.

Yeah, but I'm curious here.

No contract, no meter, I dont know what the long-term effect will be if thousands of homeowners don't engage, and refuse to pay.

If they're taken to court, say they never asked to be customers etc, can a court rule they must pay, or stop availing of the services.

How will they be able to tell if a customer did use the services without a meter, or how will they stop them using services without a meter?

Could be a very costly experiment by Irish Water and the government.

A bill is a bill , "resource utilities" aren't paid for by special euros.

As I said both my gas and electricity utility bill would reflect those three weeks. My water utility bill would not.

Compare like with like. Jesus.

• Advertisement

Hopefully no water .

How will they stop them accessing the water without the, er, meter?

They put the horse before the cart here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement