Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

So only a few days to go until the Euro champs in Zurich, thought I might as well get the discussion thread going.

Provisional timetable here: http://www.european-athletics.org/competitions/european-athletics-championships/

We have a really good team going, particularly on the track with several possible medal hopefuls including Mark English, Ciaran O' Lionaird, Thomas Barr and Fionnuala Britton. Lots of interest from an Irish point of view anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Katarina Johnson-Thompson has withdrawn. On the other hand, Morgan Lake is entered in the High Jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Rob Heffernan, Thomas Barr and Mark English are where the medals are most likely to come from (all on the same day also). Ciaran O'Lionaird and Paul Robinson could get up into the mix but the 1500m will be quite unpredictable and there are many guys who have gone faster than our lads this year. Really can't see Britton challenging over 10000m to be honest.

I'm looking forward to seeing how our men's 4x4 get on. Gregan, English, Barr and A.N. Other. Has the makings of a very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Cool Rom, thanks. You might want to check the participants in the women's marathon though!

Itziger wrote: »
    Cool Rom, thanks. You might want to check the participants in the women's marathon though!
    99% sure its just Barbara Sanchez. Would love a definite list of who traveled. Also Fionnuala Britton is selected for 5 and 10 but think she is only doing 10 and then European Marathon Cup a few days later.

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    99% sure its just Barbara Sanchez. Would love a definite list of who traveled. Also Fionnuala Britton is selected for 5 and 10 but think she is only doing 10 and then European Marathon Cup a few days later.

Unless I'm mistaken the Euro Marathon Cup IS the women's marathon. They're one and the same thing. I'm guessing she's not doing the 5,000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Is this on eurosport / rte?

Is this on eurosport / rte?
    All on Eurosport based on what I have checked up. I have no idea of RTE schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Looking forward to these. There will be a live stream on the European Athletics website for anybody based outside of Ireland, like me.

Looking forward to see how Barr fares. Flannery wasn't exactly on fire at the Commonwealths, and Magi hasn't been on fire either.

English's performance in New York earlier this season has me excited to see how he handles the tactical championship races here.

Hoping for a semi place for Proper, and maybe a sneaky tilt at getting near the NR.

www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports will have eurosport of all events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

RTE look to have a couple of hours live each evening (7-9.30pm) or a highlights show if it clashes with something else.

updated

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Rineanna wrote: »
    Looking forward to these. There will be a live stream on the European Athletics website for anybody based outside of Ireland, like me.

Looking forward to see how Barr fares. Flannery wasn't exactly on fire at the Commonwealths, and Magi hasn't been on fire either. QUOTE]

Magi set a NR last week at Estonian nationals 48.77 to go quickest in Europe this year. Seems to be in form. Interesting to see what shape Emir Bekric turns up in. Ran the 400m at Serbian nationals, time not that special IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

updated

Zoe Brown has withdrawn from the team.

Also changed that just Barbara Sanchez,Fionnuala Britton are doing the marathon and FB clearly not doing the 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Rineanna wrote: »

Looking forward to see how Barr fares. Flannery wasn't exactly on fire at the Commonwealths, and Magi hasn't been on fire either. QUOTE]

Magi set a NR last week at Estonian nationals 48.77 to go quickest in Europe this year. Seems to be in form. Interesting to see what shape Emir Bekric turns up in. Ran the 400m at Serbian nationals, time not that special IIRC.

Missed that one. Looks like a good match up is in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

respect chance of barr and magi couldnt discount the russians Kudryavtsev and Chalyy in the 400m hurdle either, they had good battle in the russian championships, chalyy wore down kudryavstev late on to win going away, possible kudryavstev went a bit too quick early in the race so hard enough to pick between them as the result was the other way around earlier in the season.
    flannery has decent times too but wonder if he peaked too early in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah flannery looks to have gone off the boil a little. There was a hint that Tom had started to head in the same direction with the times he's run more recently although the three weeks away from racing and back to training should hopefully have him back in the right sort of shape. The fact he finished races so well points to very good strength and stamina which will benefit him through the rounds.

I have a sneaking suspicion Brian Gregan might surprise a few people. He started the season poorly, but has been heading in the right direction. Last year he ran his best times too early in the season, and while his best race so far this season was about half a second slower than his PB from last year, maybe his new coach's strategy was to have him peaking now instead of in June.

Really looking forward to seeing how English does. I think he has all the tools to win a tactical championship race. If it comes down to a burn-up over the last 250m in the final he's got a better shot than most of getting the gold.

Spotted this but it seems to differ from the provisional timetable on the european athletics site.

http://46.22.133.116/downloads/other/European_Track_and_Field_Championships_Zurich_2014-Irish_athlete_schedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Had a look around the venue this evening. The place looks really well. They were doing a couple of dress rehearsals of the Opening Ceremony this evening, so i think I can tick that firmly off the list for tomorrow.

Big day ahead tomorrow. 10 Irish athletes in action. Hopefully the start of a successful week.

318058.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anywhere to watch online?

edit: never mind got it now, couldn't find it on the official website earlier

http://www.european-athletics.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

RacoonQueen you just made my day, stuck at work with no TV to watch this mornings action....thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Solid run by Barr, got in position early and cruised home to get himself a good lane for the semi tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solid run by Barr, got in position early and cruised home to get himself a good lane for the semi tomorrow.

Feck sake. Just missed it. Fecking work. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

The BBC were very complimentary about Barr & he came across very well in his interview. Would love if he won a medal. Event wide open so they say.

Feck sake. Just missed it. Fecking work. :mad:

I'll miss all this evening's action, all tomorrow evening's session and all of Friday evening's session!

Saw the Barr heat mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Itziger wrote: »
    I'll miss all this evening's action, all tomorrow evening's session and all of Friday evening's session!

Saw the Barr heat mind.

Sky plus

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can't wait to see Gregan and Foster and Healy all hurdle later today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Gonna fecking miss a lot of this, until I get back to Ireland on Friday anyway. Keep the updates coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

pconn062 wrote: »
    Gonna fecking miss a lot of this, until I get back to Ireland on Friday anyway. Keep the updates coming!

It can be watched online. http://eurovision.digotel.com/ea/index.html

Advertisement