Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

Business end of the race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Amazing run by Pavey for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Amazing run by Pavey for the win.

Class win

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jo Pavey ran a great race, must be very sweet to take Gold so late in your career.

Fionnuala never quite looked like threatening, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Fionnuala doesn't seem to be progressing at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

If you watched eurosport then they said that it was a poor race. BBC is was the most unreal race ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

rom wrote: »
    If you watched eurosport then they said that it was a poor race. BBC is was the most unreal race ever.

Of course they did. :pac:

8th place for Britton, SB too. In the end experience won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ireland v Romania 1990 sort of thing.

Was very exciting when Pavey hit the front, looked like she went too early. Thought she was sprinting for the line with 400 to go.

Someone got spiked bad. Lots of blood down her leg. Anyone see who it was?

http://www.european-athletics.org/externalmodules/AT/pdf/ATW100101_C51A.pdf 2nd best PB.

Some of the best Irish female distance runners are close to 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Skid X wrote: »
    Jo Pavey ran a great race, must be very sweet to take Gold so late in your career.

Fionnuala never quite looked like threatening, unfortunately.

I'm just disappointed she never had a go. The race was there to be attacked anywhere from 7km onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

She had her first child 5 years ago and another last year. She said to Eurosport that she feels far more at ease now that she's a mother, can handle stress better etc. Could be just 'talking to journalist' talk, but makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought it was a poor race with a very exciting finish. Well done to Jo Pavey, at 40 years of age, she is having one of the best seasons of her life. She really dug in the last 100 she was not going to be passed. No one seemed interested in taking it on, it was pedestrian for the first few km's which probably led to Mockenhaupt from Germany getting spied badly. I would have expected him to be pushing the pace.

Britton done ok, she was more hanging on and then picking people of than really been a factor. I hope the marathon goes well for her. How many races where Belete entered as favourite has she flopped? She didn't even break 33 minutes.

Mark English looked very impressive in his 800 heat as did Bosse. I think the two Poles looked dangerous but wish Osagie out already, his medal chances have increased.

Recorded the moring highlights on Eurosport plan on speed wathcing them for the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Fair play to pavey, was shouting at tv for last 300m. Anyone that thinks she is on something, is way off the mark, wasn't even close to her pb

corny wrote: »
    Pavey just doesn't strike as the type to resort to what a few here are hinting at. She has her husband doing physio even though he hasn't a clue for christs sake.

Well she is a trained physio herself I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

5th in the Olympics is hardly "quite average"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

In the press conference at the moment. Pavey said she went backpacking around the world with her now husband in her 20s. She had given up the sport in her early years due to injury. She then wanted to get back into it but took her awhile to get the confidence to give it a go again. She trained away when backpacking, in "inspiring places", and within a year after she got back she made the World Championships which surprised her greatly. Then she got another injury, had an operation which went wrong, and lost another 2 and a half years. And that takes her up to the age of 26 when she made the Olympic 5000m final to kick start her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Highlights RTE 2 10:15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Mark English drawn with Bosse, Bennedetti, Lopez and Almgren in Semi Final. 3 auto qualifiers and 2 fastest losers. On the basis of tonight should make it.

Tom Barr drawn in semi number 2 with Bekric and Hussein from Switzerland. Has lane drawn lane 5 with Bekric drawn inside. Bekric should go out fast giving Tom someone to chase down in the last 200. 2 automatic qualifiers and 2 fastest lower spots available. Should be ok to come through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

5th in the Olympics is hardly "quite average"

Great result for a 30 year old.

All I know is I saw a 40 year old romping away from some of Europe's best distance runners on a hot night in Zurich to become the oldest female Euro champion and something doesn't sit right with me about it.

And my gut feeling has generally been correct over the years, it gives me no pleasure to say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Bill Lee wrote: »

All I know is I saw a 40 year old romping away from some of Europe's best distance runners on a hot night in Zurich to become the oldest female Euro champion and something doesn't sit right with me about it.

And my gut feeling has generally been correct over the years, it gives me no pleasure to say.

40 is the new 30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

:cool:

Are u willing to look at the facts? It was a slow first 5k in 16:28 it was a slow 10k time and her last lap was a slow 66 sec. Others didn't take the racec on, so played into her hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

You have absolutely no right to make a statement like that. Pathetic.
    The race was run at a pedestrian enough pace and was almost handed to Jo Pavey. She is in great form at the moment and you could see she's running with confidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pavey : I'd just like to thank robinph for pacing me through some 5 mile races last year which really helped bring my training along. It was slightly unconventional pacing admittedly being done by running a few hundred meters behind... But it really did make all the difference. :D

Robinph - a 40 year old who is setting new pbs for 10km at present.
    Pavey - a 40 year old who is winning slow races.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Paul Kimmage was also a first rate journalist - he would never accuse someone of taking PEDs just because "his gut says so". When he did make accusations they were based on detailed knowledge of the sport. If you want to have him as a idol, then maybe you should follow his example

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Everyone's rights are suspended until I get round to being able to tidy this up.

Cards handed out. Posts deleted.

No doping speculation. Trying to be clever with the wording of your posts still counts. Cards, infractions, bans will follow.

Thread re-opened. Read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Well done Christine McMahon on getting to hurdles semi final. An eventful race with a false start, disqualification & faller!

Anyone a link to which Irish is participating each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Irish Athletics twitter has regular updates
    https://twitter.com/irishathletics

• Advertisement

I thought it was a dull race until the last lap. Far too many people in the pack and nobody trying to push it on, wasn't really a race for most of it.

Listening to Brendan Foster gets very annoying. He contradicts himself from one lap to the next, even from the start of the sentence to the end. "She should move up a bit to get into a better position now...blah...blah...blah...shes in a great position on the inside there...blah...blah...blah...would be better if she moved to the outside." SHUT UP YOU IDIOT. :mad:

Sorry that should go in the rant thread. Really wish the BBC would send him out to pasture.

Advertisement