Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭VanDinkle

Cram did immediately say "I know we've been guilty of it as well"

He said it after he had a swipe at both the Turks and the Russians. The names Cox, Proctor and Porter must have popped into his head at that stage that he was forced to back peddle. Thought it was quite an cringy insight into something that just slipped out, on live television.

Porter had a great European Championships and was fantastic in both the semi and final. Frightening that she had been breaking records yet not winning on a worldwide basis. Bigger gulf again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VanDinkle wrote: »
    Of course I would. My point was purely on the quality of the beebs commentary. I never had an issue with casscarino either back in the day. Just found it highly amusing that Edwards or cram couldnt stop themselves with their own warped view of naturalisation and representation for other countries, but not their own.

And if I am totally honest I would be more in the Angie Thorpe camp on this. But I dont mean to drag the thread off......

She has a British mother and was entitled to a British passport from birth. An accident of birth in that her parents happened to be living in America is her connection to the US. It could just as easily have been Jamaica , Brazil or Australia they decided to live in. But shed always have been entitled to the British passport.

That's not the same as pulling out the Kenya phonebook and ringing a few people to come run for you because theyre good.

is there no late nite highlights on?

Dont think so. There is a free app on the play store called eurovision live, which does live and playback of the championships. Its very good.

800m final friday @ 7.55pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

VanDinkle wrote: »
    Dont think so. There is a free app on the play store called eurovision live, which does live and playback of the championships. Its very good.

800m final friday @ 7.55pm.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

She has a British mother and was entitled to a British passport from birth. An accident of birth in that her parents happened to be living in America is her connection to the US. It could just as easily have been Jamaica , Brazil or Australia they decided to live in. But shed always have been entitled to the British passport.

That's not the same as pulling out the Kenya phonebook and ringing a few people to come run for you because theyre good.

Nope her mother is African but British for being born there to qualify for citizenship left for states married a Nigerian where Tiffany was born no accident she was competing with the U.S. up until 3 years ago.

She has admitted to switching allegiance for better support for athletes in GB, and considers herself American,British and Nigerian. If you listened to her interview today after her victory and without knowing who she was you wouldn't have guessed she was competing in the European athletics champs.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with any of this. The point I was making was about the hypochrisy of Steve Crams commentary during the 10000.

Now some people might point out that there have been a few other GB representatives with equally dubious ties. Some also might have the view that those that represent one country at junior championship level, but then find that others are higher in the pecking order in that country, can then avail of switching to another country possibly having never set foot in it, through the ancestory rule, which in turn blocks the aspirations of those grassroots athletes who have grown up in that country and aimed at the stars but are now deprived of that chance because the 5th best US athlete in a chosen event who previously represented that country but no longer makes the cut, chooses to pick an alternative country.

One thing is for certain, Angie Thorp wasnt over the moon when Tiffany Porter broke her National record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

ecoli wrote: »
    Collecting discus and hammer from the outfield

Did anyone see the discus behind the blocks I think it was at the start of the womens 100 semi finals. Look like it took out lane marker 1&2 behind the athletes.

That could have been serious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the discus behind the blocks I think it was at the start of the womens 100 semi finals. Look like it took out lane marker 1&2 behind the athletes.

I thought the wind had just knocked them over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

pajor wrote: »
    I thought the wind had just knocked them over!

It showed a discus first and it looked like it had been randomly left there. In the replay I noticed when they left the blocks the 2 lane markers had been upended and the discus sitting beside them. I assume it hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Kelly Proper into the 200m semis with 23.37 for 4th place in her heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

And an unfortunate DNF for Laura Reynolds in the 20k walk. Problems with asthma. Never nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

RayCun wrote: »
    Off topic but I prefer to support Irish athletes who either live our lived here.

Italia 90 must have been crap for you :)

Sure that's only football ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The England B team?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

pistol_75 wrote: »

I think they were using the Discus to weigh down the lane markers so that they wouldn't blow around, they were not thrown from the Discus area as that was at the other end of the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

longjump67 wrote: »
    I think they were using the Discus to weigh down the lane markers so that they wouldn't blow around, they were not thrown from the Discus area as that was at the other end of the stadium

That's correct. For the following races, they just took away the lane markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Off topic but I prefer to support Irish athletes who either live our lived here.

I differ big time from you Ray.
    Take football as an example, as the FAI would always support the granny rule - Kevin Kilbane has to be the most dedicated Irish sports star that I ever came across. He wasn't born here and never lived here.
    There's so much emigration now that, in future years, it's likely that more and more Irish athletes will avail of the parentage rule.
    They are all equal as far as I'm concerned.

Well, part of the reason I cheer Irish athletes is because of some sense of connection - I saw him compete! I was in a race with her! She's from that club I know! He goes to UCD! - and I'd cheer on some foreign athletes for the same reasons.
    Someone who was born in the US, lived in the US all their lives, competes in the US, but wouldn't get on a US team so joins the Ireland team... where's the connection?

But I doubt I'll ever be put in charge of determining international eligibility, so we can all rest easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well, part of the reason I cheer Irish athletes is because of some sense of connection - I saw him compete! I was in a race with her! She's from that club I know! He goes to UCD! - and I'd cheer on some foreign athletes for the same reasons.
    Someone who was born in the US, lived in the US all their lives, competes in the US, but wouldn't get on a US team so joins the Ireland team... where's the connection?

But I doubt I'll ever be put in charge of determining international eligibility, so we can all rest easy :)

I think it's great to see elite athletes in local races and especially in club competition - it really does generate a great atmosphere around the clubs and the competitions. I'd also imagine it's great for juvenile athletes to see their sporting heroes in their clubhouse, as one of their peers.

The comparison to the FAI isn't necessarily a positive one, given the disconnect (in terms of selection) between the LOI and the national football team and the historical disconnect (in terms of cooperation/support) between the LOI and FAI.

Surely, it's about building a culture that is sustainable long-term, in terms of participation and competitive excellence, and I'm not sure parachuting people in is always conducive to that end; just seems a bit short-termist. Ultimately, I'm not sure what the benefit is (other than the possibility of ticking off a HP KPI).

If they're running competitions for their club in Ireland, then I'd have no problem with it. I just think there needs to be a direct connection from local structures to elite competition. However, I accept that this may be a naive or minority view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good run by Proper, PB and looked strong. Can't really ask for better.
    5th in 23:15

• Advertisement

Proper fifth in the semi, 23.15 PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

1st SB
    2nd PB
    3rd =PB
    4th SB
    5th PB
    6th SB

Proper's run looks more impressive considering all of her opposition were running to either their best or near their best also.

If only she was in that 3rd semi-final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RTE 2 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

andyman wrote: »

If only she was in that 3rd semi-final :pac:

Yep, her time would have got her 2nd in the third semi.

Can't see anyone beating Schippers in the 200 final either very impressive, I imagine one of the British runners will be in the mix.

10th fastest time out of all the athletes. I think it's fair to say that it's been a very good showing by Proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Would love to see Proper concentrate fully on Heptathlon.

Thought Gabby Logan was lifting up her skirt there for a second car crash stuff!

Kelly was very hard on herself in the RTE interview there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

That French guy who just won the steeplechase is a complete wa*ker.

Advertisement