Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Pavey : I'd just like to thank robinph for pacing me through some 5 mile races last year which really helped bring my training along. It was slightly unconventional pacing admittedly being done by running a few hundred meters behind... But it really did make all the difference. :D

Robinph - a 40 year old who is setting new pbs for 10km at present.
    Pavey - a 40 year old who is winning slow races.

So this title is all down to you:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So this title is all down to you:eek:

Absolutely. :D

OK so she had just come back from injury I think, and she did announce she was pregnant a couple of weeks later...but I think it is quite obvious that her winning the European Championships is all down to me letting her come first and win a bottle of wine in that local race a couple of years ago. She may have left before the bottles of wine were handed out, can't quite remember. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

robinph wrote: »
    I thought it was a dull race until the last lap. Far too many people in the pack and nobody trying to push it on, wasn't really a race for most of it.

Listening to Brendan Foster gets very annoying. He contradicts himself from one lap to the next, even from the start of the sentence to the end. "She should move up a bit to get into a better position now...blah...blah...blah...shes in a great position on the inside there...blah...blah...blah...would be better if she moved to the outside." SHUT UP YOU IDIOT. :mad:

Sorry that should go in the rant thread. Really wish the BBC would send him out to pasture.

They had the same BS during the world cup. Wayne Rooney hit the ball over the ball. "The problem was he hit the ball too good". Its what they want to hear.

They want to relive super saturday from London in the commonwealth where tbh it was ok but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Eurosport all the way.

They just said that Vicaut is out of the 100m this evening.

3rd for Barr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Terrible first 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

corny wrote: »
    Terrible first 200.

Generally starts off conservative and comes through strong in later stages just looked alot worse with a number of fast starters.

Sitting in 2nd fastest loser spot with 1 heat left with 49.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pajor wrote: »
    3rd for Barr.

nice interview with him there. Seems like a nice genuine guy. Not bad to look at either:D

Very fast heat not looking optimistic

Edit: 2 fastest losers coming from the last heat Barr out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Barr out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He's out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ecoli wrote: »
    Generally starts off conservative and comes through strong in later stages just looked alot worse with a number of fast starters.

Sitting in 2nd fastest loser spot with 1 heat left with 49.3

You should see his sister! :pac:

Very disappointing that he didn't make it though, these are the races he needs to be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Opportunity lost. :( Disappointed for him.

8th for Foster with 11.79 in the 100m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Imagine Schippers will be takin the gold in this later.

With regards the hurdles.Would be interested to see what sort of wind difference there was between the heats given the terrible conditions over there. Top 4 in last heat setting PB's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

rom wrote: »

The whole evening program is delayed by about 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

just put back about 30min from original time I think, not on different day.

Ya the winds were shockin earlier everything on tonight will commence just later than scheduled

• Advertisement

Pity about Barr, it was a great opportunity for him. Still, he's had a brilliant season, consistently running sub-50s. He'll keep improving, as he'll have to if he wants to make the step up to world level.

Ya the winds were shockin earlier everything on tonight will commence just later than scheduled

looks like 55mins behind schedule :( gonna me the 10000 now

looks like 55mins behind schedule :( gonna me the 10000 now

10000 due in 20 min or so I believe

8th for Morrissey with 46.64 in the 400m

and 6th for Gregan with 45.81

Darn.

SB for Gregan though. I figured he was on an upward trajectory, but too little too late. He's really missing some basic speed when it gets to the top level. If he can get his 200m PB down to about 20.8 there's hope for him yet. I'm sure he'll sit down with his coach and figure out what went wrong for him this season. He wasn't injured at any stage as far as I heard, unless anyone knows better?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Great run by Vernon in the 10000 mts for silver..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

rodge68 wrote: »

Thought Mo was not very congratulatory towards him? Is there history between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rodge68 wrote: »

Proof that you don't have to be skinny to be a good long distance runner. He is a big unit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I see Jo Pavey getting her gold, that was some win at 40 after 2 children. Fair play to her, seems nice and down to earth..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Proof that you don't have to be skinny to be a good long distance runner. He is a big unit!!

That's what I keep telling myself!!

Very impressive run by him. Interesting to see hiw far he could have pushed Farah if he didn't take the very long way around the lapped runners.

Advertisement