Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Imagine Schippers will be takin the gold in this later.

:D:D:D, Commentators saying she should bin Heptathlon I dunno about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭VanDinkle

:D:D:D, Commentators saying she should bin Heptathlon I dunno about that though.

I thought they were talking about the english girl who got the bronze who entered as an afterthought.

Will English qualify as a fastest loser ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mark's time should be enough to see him through, fast opening lap hurt him a bit.

Interesting to see Lopez out, if Mark makes final he could have an outside chance of nicking a medal depending on the two Poles (in the second heat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

VanDinkle wrote: »

Let's hope this next heat is a slow one, very disappointing day for the Irish regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Very disappointing evening for the Irish athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

And he's through. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Looks like the 800m is between Bosse and the 2 Poles. Happy for English that he made the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jerry says he should run 8/15 instead of 4/8
    #donteverchange

Looks like the 800m is between Bosse and the 2 Poles. Happy for English that he made the final though.

Don't rule out the Bosnian if the pace isn't too hot, he has great finishing speed.

• Advertisement

Dan man wrote: »
    Very disappointing evening for the Irish athletes.

In what way? With the exception of Barr who was simply beaten out by a ridiculously fast 3rd Semi ( 3 of the fastest times in Europe this year). The lads brought it to another level tonight, highlighting that despite a great season there is still more to be done to be realistically challenging for medals.

Gregan has been chasing shape all season and ran a season best which was about as best as could be hoped given the way the season has gone.

Morrissey was a suprise making it through with a PB yesterday. Today was a bonus run effectively

English made it through to final with one of the medal favourites going out would strike me as a bit more optimistic than pessimistic.

Fosters time a little slow but the rescheduling could have affected the warm up to attribute to that. Either way Semi finals met expectations

It will be a great learning curve for Mark. Competing in the world junior final is something, but making it through the rounds and competing in the European Championship final could bring him on another level.

Just shows you how hot that first heat was, the finishing time for the bunch 123 was slower than Marks losing time, if I caught the clock right. 1.47 for the second heat ?

I thought they were talking about the english girl who got the bronze who entered as an afterthought.

Possibly but even still with the Jamaicans and Americans cleaning up in the worlds in sprints, Heptathlon is the Euro way to go :D:D.

...And yay some achievement for English!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Don't rule out the Bosnian if the pace isn't too hot, he has great finishing speed.

Bube has a pretty decent finish too but the other 3 are a step ahead of the rest.

ecoli wrote: »
    In what way? With the exception of Barr who was simply beaten out by a ridiculously fast 3rd Semi ( 3 of the fastest times in Europe this year). The lads brought it to another level tonight, highlighting that despite a great season there is still more to be done to be realistically challenging for medals.

Gregan has been rounding into shape and still ran a season best which was about as best as could be hoped given the way the season has gone.

English made it through to final with one of the medal favourites going out would strike me as a bit more optimistic than pessimistic.

Fosters time a little slow but the rescheduling could have affected the warm up to attribute to that. Either way Semi finals met expectations

I'm disappointed and I am sure those athletes will be disappointed too (with exception of English). Gregan got the best out of himself tonight so that wasn't a disappointment tonight, just a disappointing season for him in general.
    I'm not being disrespectful, just calling it as I see. English made the final which is great, just would have liked to see him do it a bit more comfortably.

I found it quite amusing that the BBC commentators were complaining about some of the african runners running for other european countries, given the likes of Tiffany Porter is about as British as I am.

I'm disappointed and I am sure those athletes will be disappointed too (with exception of English). Gregan got the best out of himself tonight so that wasn't a disappointment tonight, just a disappointing season for him in general.
    I'm not being disrespectful, just calling it as I see. English made the final which is great, just would have liked to see him do it a bit more comfortably.

You have to take into account Gregan is under a new coach this season and has trimmed down a good bit sometimes these sort of changes can take a season or so to kick in. Results at the tail end of the season show that he was going in the right direction so I would be optimistic we will see him back to his best next season and push on from that.

With English I think tactically his approach made sense, he positioned himself well in first lap but got sucked into a very quick opening lap and as a result tied up a bit in the latter stages. Despite the position I would still be optimistic he can compete in the final with the Poles depending on how much that took out of him.

Foster and Morrisey did the job they intended in previous rounds and given the conditions tonight I think chasing SB or PB's was basically a lottery going by some of the results with the warm ups being thrown off with the rescheduling (looking at some of the big hitters like Flannery and Lopez for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I found it quite amusing that the BBC commentators were complaining about some of the african runners running for other european countries, given the likes of Tiffany Porter is about as British as I am.

You have a British mother?

Greagans time would have won first semi!

• Advertisement

You have a British mother?

Touche.

The answer is no. I wasnt born in Michigan and didnt compete for the US at World Championships either. Dont get me wrong but I did find it double standards when I hear the the uk commentators whinging about kenyans running for other European countries and then have no problems with there own imports winning for Britain.

Touche.

The answer is no. Dont get me wrong but I did find it double standards when I hear the the uk commentators whinging about kenyans running for other European countries and then have no problems with there own imports winning for Britain.

Would you not celebrate major championship wins of Batt, Pena, Cragg, Collins, Paez-Zamal?

No country is innocent of it yet there is always the begrudgery when it negatively affects your own country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Would you not celebrate major championship wins of Batt, Pena, Cragg, Collins, Paez-Zamal?

No country is innocent of it yet there is always the begrudgery when it negatively affects your own country

Off topic but I prefer to support Irish athletes who either live our lived here.

Of course I would. My point was purely on the quality of the beebs commentary. I never had an issue with casscarino either back in the day. Just found it highly amusing that Edwards or cram couldnt stop themselves with their own warped view of naturalisation and representation for other countries, but not their own.

And if I am totally honest I would be more in the Angie Thorpe camp on this. But I dont mean to drag the thread off......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I wouldn't rule Mark out yet. He can't be used to running two fast 800s on consecutive days and the quick first lap blunted his kick. He has a day off now to recover, I wouldn't be surprised to see him run better in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I shall sort of return it back on topic.

Can the more educated tell me what the little yellow remote control pickup trucks on the field are for? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Cram did immediately say "I know we've been guilty of it as well"

pajor wrote: »
    I shall sort of return it back on topic.

Can the more educated tell me what the little yellow remote control pickup trucks on the field are for? :pac:

Collecting discus and hammer from the outfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Collecting discus and hammer from the outfield

I guessed as much, but felt like checking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

is there no late nite highlights on?

Advertisement