Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Championshps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,160 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That Irish lass, McMahon, what a stunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

gerard_65 wrote: »
    That French guy who just won the steeplechase is a complete wa*ker.

Hugely disrespectful but tbh the championships needs a bit of that sort of carry-on. It's been a bit flat so far, and the attendances have been disappointing. I suspect it's building to a fantastic last 3 days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rule 143:10. No athlete shall be allowed to take part in any competition without
    displaying the appropriate bib(s) and/or identification.

Should have been DQed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Rule 143:10. No athlete shall be allowed to take part in any competition without
    displaying the appropriate bib(s) and/or identification.

Should have been DQed.

He was displaying it though had he chucked it away altogether I imagine they could've acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hugely disrespectful but tbh the championships needs a bit of that sort of carry-on. It's been a bit flat so far, and the attendances have been disappointing. I suspect it's building to a fantastic last 3 days though.

Does it though? It's all a bit premier league knobhead footballer to me, athletics seems to transcend that crap which is one of the big draws about it for me. I'd rather see him run a championship record instead. Maybe I'm getting old and cranky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

That French guy who just won the steeplechase is a complete wa*ker.

It definitely came across in his interview with Eurosport just there.

The French guy isn't in the slightest a likable guy. Athletics, and other sports may need characters, but he's certainly not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Spain have apparently lodged a complaint about Mekhissi pulling his shirt off before the end of the race..

Medal ceremony for it postponed until tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Chivito550 wrote: »
    With all due respect thats one of the stupidest comments you've come out with, and lets face it you've come out with a few!!

With all due respect thats one of the stupidest comments you've come out with, and lets face it you've come out with a few!!

Don't hold back, ger!:)

• Advertisement

From the EAA:

JURY OF APPEAL DECISION: Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad is disqualified from 1st place in the men's 3000m steeplechase after Spain protest. France have the opportunity to appeal the Jury's decision, but as it stands, Mullera is steeplechase bronze medalist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Pherekydes wrote: »
    From the EAA:

JURY OF APPEAL DECISION: Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad is disqualified from 1st place in the men's 3000m steeplechase after Spain protest. France have the opportunity to appeal the Jury's decision, but as it stands, Mullera is steeplechase bronze medalist

Delighted. Despicable character that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Bascou disqualified from the 110mh too. Pascal Martinot Lagarde gets the bronze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah I noticed he staggered into Lagarde's lane after clipping one of the hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ok, I'm missing all this because I'm abroad. Someone please fill me in, so the best 110m hurdler in the world all season, finished fourth is the Europeans?? WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm missing all this because I'm abroad. Someone please fill me in, so the best 110m hurdler in the world all season, finished fourth is the Europeans?? WTF??

Yep, He clipped about 3 hurdles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

He hit about 4 hurdles and was all over the place at times. Subenkhov was the only one to get a clean run, Sharman was well clear with 3 to go when he clipped two hurdles and staggered on the 2nd one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

menoscemo wrote: »
    He hit about 4 hurdles and was all over the place at times. Subenkhov was the only one to get a clean run, Sharman was well clear with 3 to go when he clipped two hurdles and staggered on the 2nd one.

I counted seven hit, all over the place....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Jeez, that's a poor result then, pretty rookie stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

The French appeal is rejected so he loses the Gold medal in the steeplechase. What odds he does something odd in the 1500 tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

It was a very poor performance by Martinot Lagarde, I had him hitting 7 of the hurdles, he done well to stay standing. Sharman had gold in his grasp but just lost his form at the end, impressive sprinting and hurdling by Shubenkov to retain his title.

Schippers looked very impressive in her semi but I think Soumare can push here with one of the GB girls getting the bronze, great running by Proper to get a new PB and be ranked 10th overall. In the Men's 200 I thought it was going to be Lemaitre but Gemili looked very impressive in his semi.

Enjoyed the field events this evening, exciting battles in the Pole Vault and Javelin. I felt sorry for the Greek girl to have gold in her grasp and lose it with the very last vault of the night.

I am not a fan of Benabbad, what with him shoving the young mascot and his fisticuffs with Baala, but his actions this evening I found really insulting and demeaning to the other competitors. The rules are clear and he should be disqualified for breaking the rules

Good luck to Heffernan and English and the 1500 guys tomorrow, hope all goes well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Caprica wrote: »
    It was a very poor performance by Martinot Lagarde, I had him hitting 7 of the hurdles, he done well to stay standing. Sharman had gold in his grasp but just lost his form at the end, impressive sprinting and hurdling by Shubenkov to retain his title.

Schippers looked very impressive in her semi but I think Soumare can push here with one of the GB girls getting the bronze, great running by Proper to get a new PB and be ranked 10th overall. In the Men's 200 I thought it was going to be Lemaitre but Gemili looked very impressive in his semi.

Enjoyed the field events this evening, exciting battles in the Pole Vault and Javelin. I felt sorry for the Greek girl to have gold in her grasp and lose it with the very last vault of the night.

I am not a fan of Benabbad, what with him shoving the young mascot and his fisticuffs with Baala, but his actions this evening I found really insulting and demeaning to the other competitors. The rules are clear and he should be disqualified for breaking the rules

Good luck to Heffernan and English and the 1500 guys tomorrow, hope all goes well for them.

+1 on the Pole Vault, great finish....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed he staggered into Lagarde's lane after clipping one of the hurdles.

And he wasn't even in the next lane. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm annoyed by the steeplechase DQ, whatever one thinks about showboating and disrespecting the other athletes, he didn't impede anyone and was the best athlete in the race by a mile. The other athletes didn't seem too pissed off with him afterwards, he was celebrating and posing for pictures with them. Taking your top off should not be a disqualifiable action imo.

His past actions may go towards forming a general opinion about him, but they've nothing to do with the race this evening. To me, it's an over-zealous application of the rules, which is a problem in athletics. I think the Spanish authorities should be ashamed of themselves for launching an appeal just to get a medal. And I would not like to be the Spanish athlete who steps on the podium tomorrow, he'll know he doesn't deserve the medal. The whole thing just does not sit right with me.

And I'm not a fan of Mahiedine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I'm annoyed by the steeplechase DQ, whatever one thinks about showboating and disrespecting the other athletes, he didn't impede anyone and was the best athlete in the race by a mile. The other athletes didn't seem too pissed off with him afterwards, he was celebrating and posing for pictures with them. Taking your top off should not be a disqualifiable action imo.

His past actions may go towards forming a general opinion about him, but they've nothing to do with the race this evening. To me, it's an over-zealous application of the rules, which is a problem in athletics. I think the Spanish authorities should be ashamed of themselves for launching an appeal just to get a medal. And I would not like to be the Spanish athlete who steps on the podium tomorrow, he'll know he doesn't deserve the medal. The whole thing just does not sit right with me.

And I'm not a fan of Mahiedine either.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head there, I know little to nothing about track running and felt the DQ was harsh. In saying that, do you think this kind of action nips the possibility for other similar showboating creeping in in the bud, or is Mahiedine an isolated example? Gerry Kiernan referred to him as an imbecile, apt from Gerry, for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Jeez, that's a poor result then, pretty rookie stuff.

He bottled it. Karma perhaps for his Bolt like celebration with 10m to go in the semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head there, I know little to nothing about track running and felt the DQ was harsh. In saying that, do you think this kind of action nips the possibility for other similar showboating creeping in in the bud, or is Mahiedine an isolated example? Gerry Kiernan referred to him as an imbecile, apt from Gerry, for once!

Oh he's a complete idiot for doing it, as he's an experienced guy and knows well what the authorities can be like when given an excuse.

I've never seen anyone do it before, and I doubt it will catch on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Reflecting on the 10000m and recent races, lapped runners are interfering more and more with the leaders. Vernon had to go around two of them last night just after the bell which would not have helped him. Is there a case for pulling them out of the race in championships or for disqualifying them if they don't move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've never seen anyone do it before, and I doubt it will catch on tbh.

It won't now anyway. :pac: Can't say I feel too sorry for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Yes, that's the point. It's against the rules, they can't just ignore it or it would become the done thing. He is a dick and no-one will feel sorry for him. I'm sure most of us were hoping he would fall at the last barrier.

Advertisement