Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

rom wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2655355/Wearing-sunscreen-NOT-prevent-skin-cancer-Study-claims-SPF-factor-50-cream-lets-UV-radiation-damage-skin.html

I run at night or evening normally in winter. My father had skin cancer. I was asked on another thread if I actually wear leggings as my legs are so white. Its not by plan but I don't like the sun tbh. {I don't drink blood ;) } but be safe and do your research.
    "Research" and a Daily Mail link really, really shouldn't occur in the same post: http://scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/daily-mail-list-of-cancer-causes.html. By all means, do your research, but using the Daily Mail as a source is the equivalent of asking your dog to bark once for "yes, it does cause cancer"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hygiene is one thing that turns me off bikram. Disease can spread easy in a studio as there may be many large classes in a row. Have a google.I wouldn't be doing it too close to an A race. If the place u are doing it in are good with hygiene the ...

My brother is out in India currently training in yoga. The core routeen from p and d would be enough for most people and much cheaper than a class.

I wouldn't do yoga if it's a big class. Almost no direction is not a good thing. I did it before but it was just me and herself as students. And no it wasn't the kinky kind ;)

I hadn't considered that. 3 and 5 people so far in the 2 classes ive attended so not so bad. Summer time also so infection risk is lower. Will give it a skip for winter.
    I'm trying Bikram to help recover from an injury. Jury is stull out, Will see how it goes.

Everyone's situation is different I guess: Im over 40, with two young kids and do most of my exercise on my commutes with some at lunch when available. I find it very hard to fit quality core/flexibility stuff in: so a class is handy. Outsourcing the job so to speak!

Costly of-course but cheaper than injury for me. Of the choice of Yogas, I did like the Vinyasa Yoga: a lot of poses pretty beneficial to running. I just wouldn't get it done as comprehensively alone. The benefits towards mobility in the pelvic area and lower back is worth it by themselves, especially if you're on high mileage or sit at a desk all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ososlo wrote: »
    Got it today and tried it out on my sweaty run this evening and it's great! Expensive alright but cheaper than hospital care for skin cancer in 10 years. I like that's it's clear in colour and leaves a nice sheen on the skin too:D
    Thank you thank you thank you for the recommendation!!!

I like P20 and I also like Parasol (similar type of thing, maybe more oily) Lloyd's Pharmacy are doing a special on both until the end of the month. At the moment I'm using Calypso, Aldi's version of P20, and it seems to be working. Haven't got burnt anyway. My friend, who has fairer skin than me, recently used Calypso on a cycling holiday in the sun, and she didn't get burnt either, so it seems good, and only about €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

T runner wrote: »
    Costly of-course but cheaper than injury for me. Of the choice of Yogas, I did like the Vinyasa Yoga: a lot of poses pretty beneficial to running. I just wouldn't get it done as comprehensively alone.
    The other side to it, is that we're motivated to do things that we enjoy. I find it difficult to get excited about doing some push-ups, planks and pull-ups, particularly during a high volume week, so if I'm tired they're the first thing to get the bullet. Throw in something that excites me (like rock climbing) and I'll find the energy from somewhere. Something like Yoga will be new and different enough that one will be motivated to keep doing it (as long as one still enjoys it), long after the P&D core stuff has been jettisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

28064212 wrote: »
    "Research" and a Daily Mail link really, really shouldn't occur in the same post: http://scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/daily-mail-list-of-cancer-causes.html. By all means, do your research, but using the Daily Mail as a source is the equivalent of asking your dog to bark once for "yes, it does cause cancer"
    Christ its like I am back in college.
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/23/6/1080.abstract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Christ its like I am back in college.
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/23/6/1080.abstract.

There was nothing wrong with your link. It's fashionable to bash the Daily Mail. Best had the poster read it and educated us on how it was not to be believed or encouraged as educational, as opposed to a blanket and bland dismissal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

walshb wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with your link. It's fashionable to bash the Daily Mail. Best had the poster read it and educated us on how it was not to be believed or encouraged as educational, as opposed to a blanket and bland dismissal!
    The Daily Mail has a track record of nonsensical or hysterical claims, especially when it comes to possible cancer-causing agents. Opening line of the article:
    Wearing sun cream is not a reliable way to prevent getting skin cancer, scientists have warned.
    That is not what the scientists in question said. At all. Using the Daily Mail as a health-news source is like using The National Enquirer as a source for political news.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

The other side to it, is that we're motivated to do things that we enjoy. I find it difficult to get excited about doing some push-ups, planks and pull-ups, particularly during a high volume week, so if I'm tired they're the first thing to get the bullet. Throw in something that excites me (like rock climbing) and I'll find the energy from somewhere. Something like Yoga will be new and different enough that one will be motivated to keep doing it (as long as one still enjoys it), long after the P&D core stuff has been jettisoned.

Very true. Ill actually be trying the family rock climbing once the kids are old enough too as it ticks the family box as well as all the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

People who run at lunch time at work,
    How long of lunch do ye get?
    Do ye have showers after ?
    What do colleagues think of it ?

Finnt wrote: »

I get an hour. Yes I have showers. colleagues have tried to do the same but the usually give up if there is any rain etc. I keep down low that I am going for a run as it is best as people love to talk but I am more interested in running than talking for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For me, the mainstay is a 5-6 mile run, so 35-45 minutes. Have run up to 22 miles at lunch-time, which would take closer to 2:40, but it's never been an issue, as I would only do it if the work schedule allowed it (no meetings or urgent deliverables - work is always the priority) and always work up the hours the same day, to cover my absence. I typically work a 50+ hour week anyway (not including run time), so any time I spend running provides a bit of work/life balance. Basically, if your company expects a bit of flexibility in you and your working hours, it's probably fair that your company should also provide a little flexibility. If you're the kind of person who works a 40 hour week and not a second more, then you should probably fit in any runs within your allotted lunch-break.

Do ye have showers after? We do now. Spent the previous three years washing in the sink.

What do colleagues think of it ? They've grown used to it. Those who are active, fully support it. Those who are inactive are somewhat less supportive, but can't argue with the working hours and availability, as long as you always prioritize work.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Bit off topic in relation to the posts above (and so apologies) but I am looking at getting back into running (off for a while due to an achilles heel injury. Ouch is putting it mildly.) I've been looking into plans for getting jogging fit again, but all I can seem to find is couch to 5k and similar, all of which advocate walking/ then running/ then walking interval style sessions. I'm wondering, is there any plan whereby you build up fitness just by jogging? (Rather than rotating jogging and walking, if you know what I mean).

I get an hour, so usually do 4-6 miles. Bring my lunch in with me, have it all ready & eat at my desk (while working) after run.
    We don't have showers, sadly, but we have a sink.
    Don't know what colleagues think. I wouldn't run if I had a meeting or anything after straight after lunch that I'd be risking being late for. I sort of slink from the bathroom out of the building really quickly -- I don't want to be swanning round the office in my shorts. I don't think all my colleagues know I run at lunchtime. My office room-mates just ask where I went, was it warm / cold etc. They don't seem to mind :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

If I'm aiming to do a Marathon in 3hr 30min, what should I aim to do a half marathon in?
    1hr 45min (half this time) or quicker than this?
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    If I'm aiming to do a Marathon in 3hr 30min, what should I aim to do a half marathon in?
    Thanks guys.

Faster. I ran 1.37 half 3.29 full, something around there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Thanks guys.

According to Mcmillan calculator 1:39:47 for a half marathon.

Thank you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thanks guys.

MJ, while there are lots of conversion tables out there that will give you a good idea, you have to use a bit of common sense as well. That is to say, longer = slower. Once you go past the 200 metre race then every WR is slower than the previous shorter distance multiplied by 2! (400 to 800, 5,000 to 10,000)

It's a very rare bird who could just double their Half time; it basically means they're not pushing hard enough on the half.

Of course, if it's your first marathon, you'll have doubts about your ability but your long runs should help here. Are you finding that it's relatively easy to hold a pace even as you add distance? If so, good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I have one huge concern about the Daniels plan I'm doing. It's from the 3rd edition, the 2Q plan for 56/70 miles a week. He only has two 20 milers in the plan. Two! And nothing longer. As a person who seems to be more 'speed' than endurance blessed - that is to day my 10k and Half times indicate a faster Marathon than I've managed to run - should I amend this and add in a 22 miler or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

For early races, like R+R Half which starts at 8:30, how do you deal with breakfast? Do you get up at 4:30 or 5am to eat? Go back to bed? Run on empty? Stupid R+R Half at stupid oclock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ultrapercy wrote: »
    For early races, like R+R Half which starts at 8:30, how do you deal with breakfast? Do you get up at 4:30 or 5am to eat? Go back to bed? Run on empty? Stupid R+R Half at stupid oclock.
    Breaki. B4 u go to bed...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Eat well the day before and have a light breakfast on the morning?

RayCun wrote: »
    Faster. I ran 1.37 half 3.29 full, something around there

I did a 1.37 half and then a 3.54 marathon (sob, sob) -- so make sure you have the endurance as well as the speed for a 3.30 marathon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I don't think there can be a generalised answer for this, you need to experiment and find out what works best for you. For me it's just a cup of coffee, for some it'll be a banana, others might have a big bowl of cereal. It should really be no different than heading out for a long run on a Sunday.

There should never be a need to get up at 5am to eat and then go back to bed, that's just bonkers. As someone said above if you eat properly the day before then that's the majority of your fuel, maybe a banana in the morning can give you an extra boost but I personally don't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Thanks guys.

A good rule is marathon time divided by 2.1 gives half marathon time (or twice half marathon time plus 10% gives marathon time)

So 1:40. Approximately.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd factor in a larger cushion for a first-timer, larger again if there is a major dropoff between 10k and half-marathon times (runner is naturally speed-focused rather than endurance-focused), and even larger again if the training plan has been relatively low mileage. 1:35 sounds about right to me if all these conditions are a factor, 1:40 ish if none are a factor.

Thanks guys, I'll aim for 1:35 and be sure to get in plenty of long runs.
    All year I've been doing 20K runs on Friday mornings but i'll up that starting from now

Thanks again for the replies - it was a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thanks guys, I'll aim for 1:35 and be sure to get in plenty of long runs.
    All year I've been doing 20K runs on Friday mornings but i'll up that starting from now

Thanks again for the replies - it was a great help.

For what its worth I did a 1.36.3x half and subsequently blew up badly in a 3.30 attempt, ending up running 3.36 in the Limerick marathon in 2013. For DCM that year I ran a 1.34 half and did a comfortable 3.26 in the marathon. The difference was that in the Spring time I did almost no running faster than MP and very little even at MP. For DCM I was doing tempo sessions or marathon paced sessions almost every week, along with racing more. Moral of the story the half time will only indicate so much about your performance potential, it will be the training as a whole. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

What's people's opinions on how much a night on the town can affect an upcoming race? I'm not talking downing shots etc more like a few bottles of beer/ wine say a week before a race? I know I tend to be quite tired after a night out and it takes a few days to recover but if I just pencil in easy days around it can it really do much harm?

• Advertisement

DOCO12 wrote: »
    What's people's opinions on how much a night on the town can affect an upcoming race? I'm not talking downing shots etc more like a few bottles of beer/ wine say a week before a race? I know I tend to be quite tired after a night out and it takes a few days to recover but if I just pencil in easy days around it can it really do much harm?

Went on the batter 1 week before Berlin last year. Didn't effect my race. Wouldn't have it shorter. I do think it would have been better not to as I usually carry extra weight for a few days post a night on the town.

Advertisement