Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

DOCO12 wrote: »
    What's people's opinions on how much a night on the town can affect an upcoming race? I'm not talking downing shots etc more like a few bottles of beer/ wine say a week before a race? I know I tend to be quite tired after a night out and it takes a few days to recover but if I just pencil in easy days around it can it really do much harm?
    Few bottles of decent beer isn't gonna kill ya,moderation in moderation and all that..few extra hours kip,few mugs a water b4 bed,hopefully ahappy ending aswell.u wud be worse off if u went out and drank 7 up all nite

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Thanks for the replies guys. Your right about the 7up, I sometimes think it's the lack of sleep that's the real nail in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Just wondering if ye take protein shakes/bars or the like after a session or long run to aid recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Finnt wrote: »
    Just wondering if ye take protein shakes/bars or the like after a session or long run to aid recovery?

Used to take Kinetica and then Optimum Nutrition. Now just take nesquik in some milk and its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I do take a bar and maybe some choco milk after a Q session mostly. If it's early I'll have a protein/carb breakfast. Yesterday I had a 1 egg omelette with cheese. Don't know how healthy that is or if it's the right kind of protein. If I run later in the morning, especially on Sundays, then you can get lunch in before that 'window' of 60 or 90 minutes closes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Bananna and a glass of milk or ur dinner...

You just need some fast burning carbs and protein.

Thanks for the replies lads, I do most of my running in the morning before work.
    Might be no harm take something when I get home so,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone know where I can buy nuun tablets in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy nuun tablets in Dublin city centre?

Great Outdoors on Chatham st used to anyway. Think I saw them recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

What do you find to be the most efficient way to cool down after a run ? A lighter jog , stretches etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What do you find to be the most efficient way to cool down after a run ? A lighter jog , stretches etc?
    Jog/walk and foam rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Why isn't there any pacers in 10k runs??

ronn wrote: »

In the UK I hear some park runs have pacers for certain times now and again.

I agree it would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

rom wrote: »
    In the UK I hear some park runs have pacers for certain times now and again.

I agree it would be a good idea.

Ternure 5mile had pacers this year

Can people not just go out and run? They'll be looking for Personal Pacers next.

(Might be a handy earner though come to think of it and even possible side benefits, pacing some 35 year old MILF to a 50 min 10k. Patent Pending)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sixmilebridge 10k has pacers, as does the Killarney women's mini marathon.

Sixmilebridge 10k has pacers, as does the Killarney women's mini marathon.

When's the SMB 10k on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Itziger wrote: »
    Can people not just go out and run? They'll be looking for Personal Pacers next.

(Might be a handy earner though come to think of it and even possible side benefits, pacing some 35 year old MILF to a 50 min 10k. Patent Pending)

You don't have to run with the pacers if don't want,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

When's the SMB 10k on?

In May - sorry!

• Advertisement

I feel robbed!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stoneyford 10km race (Co Kilkenny) in May had pacers, i know cause my plan to stay with the sub40 pacer failed :(

WHAT????!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's all it is though, running, not racing. Running is supposed to be a competitive sport. Even if you're not that fast I still think it would be better to focus on chasing the people in front instead of running alongside some person with a balloon. For me personally, pacers take the whole competitive aspect out of racing and reduce it to merely chasing arbitrary times. Nothing wrong with wanting to achieve good times, but maybe hunting down the guy in front might lead to a better time than following the pacers.

Possibly belongs in the rant forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

pconn062 wrote: »
    but maybe hunting down the guy in front might lead to a better time than following the pacers.

Or more likely, maybe it will lead to a blow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Or more likely, maybe it will lead to a blow up!

So what if you do? You have a bad race and chalk it down to experience, you'll also learn something from it. Proper racing takes practice and you have to try new things to get your strategy right. And someday you'll go out hard and feel great and not blow up and set a huge PB, much more satisfying that running alongside some pacer and sprinting with 400m to go.

The above comments don't apply to the marathon, that's probably a touch too long to go hard from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

There is absolutely zero difference between running with a pacer, and "racing" some randomer just ahead of you, except that in one you're being guided to a time, and in the other to a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

pconn062 wrote: »
    So what if you do? You have a bad race and chalk it down to experience, you'll also learn something from it

Yes you'll learn something from it. You'll lean not to be trying to chase down people who are a good bit faster than you coz it causes you to blow up and you'll learn to run at a pace that's at your level and over time that level will increase

D'oh! :P

MrCreosote wrote: »
    There is absolutely zero difference between running with a pacer, and "racing" some randomer just ahead of you, except that in one you're being guided to a time, and in the other to a position.

Couldn't disagree more. In a race where you don't go with pacers, you will make quite a few decisions, whether to go with such and such a fella. 'Those two lads look strong, I'll stay with them for a bit" Turns out they're not as strong as all that, I better push on....... and so on. In a recent half marathon, I'd say I had to make at least 5 or 6 min-decisions. You're thinking, you're trying stuff out, you're testing yourself.

So to say there's zero difference between the approaches, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

How do people get picked to compete at the nationals each year? Can anyone just enter or do you need to be nominated by a club or something?

Advertisement