Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Triathletes are worse, particularly due to the number of type A personalities with a huge M-dot hardon.

Ahh FFS...if that's where they put the tattoo I'm going to have to re-think my goals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Is there Any good Training Log sites ...excluding dat One that congrats ü in fb wen ur week isdone

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

This has probably been asked loads of times before. I'm constantly googling to find a definite answer but there's so many different views. Anyways what do you guys reckon based on your own experience / heard from others is better for us runners to improve our flexibility and core, is it pilates? Or Yoga? If Yoga what type of yoga? Or should one do both type of classes? With marathon training looming I need to start something. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

DOCO12 wrote: »
    This has probably been asked loads of times before. I'm constantly googling to find a definite answer but there's so many different views. Anyways what do you guys reckon based on your own experience / heard from others is better for us runners to improve our flexibility and core, is it pilates? Or Yoga? If Yoga what type of yoga? Or should one do both type of classes? With marathon training looming I need to start something. Thanks.

Good idea. Vinyasa Yoga IMO

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's me convinced! I can take 42 seconds off my time if I lose only 4 lbs! Cool :)
    Diet starts here!

Hi Ososlo. Apparently people tend to eat the same weight in food per week. Best to change the type of food rather than the quantity (ie more fruit and veg, salads etc).

Also, If ive no workout in the evening I tend to eat only fruit and veg after a certain time (after a small early evening meal say). To adapt my routine to this: for the first few evenings I allowed myself eat any amount or type of fruit or veg. After a few days it was easy and i eat less. It encourages you to eat a bigger breakfast which is as it should be. Just kake sure the breakfast is healthy enough and you've most of the day sorted. Its a good easy solution to eating the right quantities of decent food at the right time of day, which will help greatly with body composition (and usually result in weight loss).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

T runner wrote: »
    Good idea. Vinyasa Yoga IMO

As you've been on the shelf w/ multiple injuries per your log do you reckon it's really all that?

As you've been on the shelf w/ multiple injuries per your log do you reckon it's really all that?

In all honesty, I've never had a serious running injury until 2014 so I have generally a good record. I didn't try any Yoga this time until after I was injured unfortunately.

The question mentioned Pilates or Yoga. Ive done my fair share of Yoga on and off over the years. In the Irish runner magazine Nicola Duncan (2:33 London) mentioning she did a weekly session of Vinyasa Yoga. It concentrates on strength and flexibility in lower body and pelvis with the movements being fast (flowing-1 movement per breath). I looked into it and it has helped greatly with my injuries. It emphasizes strength and movement more and is tough...a proper workout, which was my reservation about other forms of Yoga.

So from my experience of Yoga/Pilates, Id recommend Vinyasa to help with injury prevention and gain some strength for a marathon build up.

Edit: I wont go into my injuries too much, but the source of my injury was related to managing training around new arrivals etc.
    Its a tricky business: Ive had time to consider it and If I had my time back I would do things differently (id still have the kids though). Might be worth a thread at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RocknRunner

Hi,
    I'm new to this,
    My random question - How long should I break in my runners before I use them on a serious run?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

In all honesty, I've never had a serious running injury until 2014 so I have generally a good record. I didn't try any Yoga this time until after I was injured unfortunately.

The question mentioned Pilates or Yoga. Ive done my fair share of Yoga on and off over the years. In the Irish runner magazine Nicola Duncan (2:33 London) mentioning she did a weekly session of Vinyasa Yoga. It concentrates on strength and flexibility in lower body and pelvis with the movements being fast (flowing-1 movement per breath). I looked into it and it has helped greatly with my injuries. It emphasizes strength and movement more and is tough...a proper workout, which was my reservation about other forms of Yoga.

So from my experience of Yoga/Pilates, Id recommend Vinyasa to help with injury prevention and gain some strength for a marathon build up.

Edit: I wont go into my injuries too much, but the source of my injury was related to managing training around new arrivals etc.
    Its a tricky business: Ive had time to consider it and If I had my time back I would do things differently (id still have the kids though). Might be worth a thread at some stage.

Thanks for the advice T Runner. If it's good enough for Nicola Duncan it's good enough for me :) I did hot yoga before I was running much and I did enjoy it too. I've also done pilates but again I didn't keep it up. It's trying to decide which will tick most boxes.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. And good luck at keeping those injuries at bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi,
    I'm new to this,
    My random question - How long should I break in my runners before I use them on a serious run?

The main thing is for your feet to be comfortable and not have any friction points. A couple of easy 5kms and even some walks will quickly tell you if they are right or not. Often for me it is friction at the heel area, around my ankle bones or the heel itself. Going for a long run too soon may not be a good idea as it may cause stress on your feet. Break them in gradually.

• Advertisement

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice T Runner. If it's good enough for Nicola Duncan it's good enough for me :) I did hot yoga before I was running much and I did enjoy it too. I've also done pilates but again I didn't keep it up. It's trying to decide which will tick most boxes.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. And good luck at keeping those injuries at bay!

Tried Hot Yoga(Bikram) for the first time last night. Its a tough 90 minutes! Good for mental concentration, and I guess the bodies adaption to heat might help in a marathon. Didnt quite get the stretch into my injury but I'll do that myself after tonights class (you have to return within 24 hrs they tell me). (Vinyasa is better for flexibility, strenght etc in the running relevant areas though IMO.)
    Hot Yoga seems to get more blood flowing around the body so hopefully it might be better for injury recovery.
    The instructor told me at the start my goal was to stay in the room for the whole class. I smiled to myself at this. "Ill show her" i thought.
    The last 20 minutes I nearly crawled out 7-8 times. The mental difficulty in staying in that discomfort was very akin to the mental issues with keeping going at the end of a tough race. Concentrating on the next move, the here and now makes it easier. Thinking about how long left makes it near impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone got any good suggestions for sunscreen that doesn't sweat off? Probably an impossibility!
    Any of the spray ones any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Anyone got any good suggestions for sunscreen that doesn't sweat off? Probably an impossibility!
    Any of the spray ones any good?

Have you tried P20? It's pricey compared to others but doesn't need as much reapplication. I wore it recently in Turkey for 2 weeks (it was warm - so therefore sweaty) and I was doing swimming too. I reapplied it more than the standard recommendation out of paranoia but not nearly as often as the standard ones. 2 weeks and no burning. Same with the the OH who wasn't as paranoid about reapplying it. Available in boots as far as I know.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Have you tried P20? It's pricey compared to others but doesn't need as much reapplication. I wore it recently in Turkey for 2 weeks (it was warm - so therefore sweaty) and I was doing swimming too. I reapplied it more than the standard recommendation out of paranoia but not nearly as often as the standard ones. 2 weeks and no burning. Same with the the OH who wasn't as paranoid about reapplying it. Available in boots as far as I know.

Brill thanks! Did a bit of a google on it there and it looks the business. They have factor 50+ too which is great.
    Cheers! Off to boots tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

P20. Many people confuse the product brand name with a sun-screen factor, but P20 is good for 10+ hours. It's the only product I'd use before a hot marathon, as it'd mean I wouldn't have to think about sun-screen for the rest of the day. One less thing to worry about.

Brill thanks! Did a bit of a google on it there and it looks the business. They have factor 50+ too which is great.
    Cheers! Off to boots tomorrow!

Yeah it's very good. I would burn if I'm not careful and as I said 2 weeks in Turkish June heat and not a jot of sunburn using that. Recommended to me by people who raved about how good it is and it didn't let me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Tried Hot Yoga(Bikram) for the first time last night. Its a tough 90 minutes! Good for mental concentration, and I guess the bodies adaption to heat might help in a marathon. Didnt quite get the stretch into my injury but I'll do that myself after tonights class (you have to return within 24 hrs they tell me). (Vinyasa is better for flexibility, strenght etc in the running relevant areas though IMO.)
    Hot Yoga seems to get more blood flowing around the body so hopefully it might be better for injury recovery.
    The instructor told me at the start my goal was to stay in the room for the whole class. I smiled to myself at this. "Ill show her" i thought.
    The last 20 minutes I nearly crawled out 7-8 times. The mental difficulty in staying in that discomfort was very akin to the mental issues with keeping going at the end of a tough race. Concentrating on the next move, the here and now makes it easier. Thinking about how long left makes it near impossible.
    Hygiene is one thing that turns me off bikram. Disease can spread easy in a studio as there may be many large classes in a row. Have a google.I wouldn't be doing it too close to an A race. If the place u are doing it in are good with hygiene the ...

My brother is out in India currently training in yoga. The core routeen from p and d would be enough for most people and much cheaper than a class.

I wouldn't do yoga if it's a big class. Almost no direction is not a good thing. I did it before but it was just me and herself as students. And no it wasn't the kinky kind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I probably should know this already, but what are the benefits of running slowly ?

Most of my runs are in the 7:10 - 7:40 range, tempos obviously faster at around (6:40 - 5Kpace). Happy enough to hold 7:20ish pace for 10miles plus, on the Sunday LSR's

What is the benefit to me say running 10 miles at slow 8:30pace as opposed to my normal 7:20 pace ???

• Registered Users Posts: 54,605 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I find that if I run too slowly I tire quicker and suffer more. Strange. The legs and muscles when warm need movement and pace. Am I similar to an F1 car that cuts out when driven too slow:)?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I probably should know this already, but what are the benefits of running slowly ?

Most of my runs are in the 7:10 - 7:40 range, tempos obviously faster at around (6:40 - 5Kpace). Happy enough to hold 7:20ish pace for 10miles plus, on the Sunday LSR's

What is the benefit to me say running 10 miles at slow 8:30pace as opposed to my normal 7:20 pace ???

For comparison sake- my 5k pace is 5:15- 5:20 m/m. I run most of my runs around 7:20 as well!

The answer to your question is that you need to take hard days hard and easy days easy. If you drop your easy pace to 8:30-9 a mile you'll find you're ability to hold and benefit from quicker paces at the shorter end of the spectrum will vastly improved.

Training is all about stimuli and recovery- if you run easy days too hard, you aren't recovering thus getting limited benefit from training.

There are multiple benefits from keeping in touch w/ all your bodies systems as well- LT, VO2 max, recovery pace/rate, steady aerobic etc. right now you are literally only activating one system which I would say is a fairly hard aerobic effort on every run!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I find that if I run too slowly I tire quicker and suffer more. Strange. The legs and muscles when warm need movement and pace. Am I similar to an F1 car that cuts out when driven too slow:)?

No.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    What is the effort level like? Is 10 miles your long run, or just a typical mid-week run?

The problem with running the 10 miles too quickly (if it is a general mid-week run), is that instead of just being an easy run, it becomes the focal point of your training; it becomes a session. It should be just another run in the schedule. The focal point should be the elements of the training that trigger improvements, not the general maintenance runs that are there to provide minor improvements to aerobic capacity. Additionally, tiring yourself out on an easy 10 mile run will be detrimental to the quality of your 'improvement' sessions. You may also be running the miles in anaerobic capacity, rather than aerobic, which may impact training for longer distances where you doing run in an anaerobic capacity (running boffins: please feel free to correct!).

*Oops*: I see Mr Mills got in before me. Same general message. I'll be hoping to run my lunch-time 10 mile run at 7:20/mile, but may struggle (for a 5k pace of 5:00-5:10/mile).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Does 12 + 6 = 18? I struggle to find time at weekends for a long run and run doubles each day Mon to Fri on runmute to work, so far finding the longest single run I have time to do is 12 miles - so even though I do 18 in a day weekly, do I have the endurance of an 18 mile long run?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Does 12 + 6 = 18? I struggle to find time at weekends for a long run and run doubles each day Mon to Fri on runmute to work, so far finding the longest single run I have time to do is 12 miles - so even though I do 18 in a day weekly, do I have the endurance of an 18 mile long run?
    It's an interesting question. Here's another one for you:
    Does 12 + 6 = 6 + 12?
    I'd imagine most would prefer to run the longer portion first, because it's easier. If you had to cover 18 miles, then splitting it up into something like 12 + 6 is the easiest way to get it done, and therein lies the answer. If it's easier, it's not equivalent. It creates new stresses (e.g. you may be stiffer for the final 6 miles, than those final 6 miles of a single 18 mile mile run), but it's taxing in a slightly different way that doesn't hit you in the same manner as running the 18 miles straight. You'll have eaten and rehydrated. You'll have rested. You may even have stretched. Is there room in the schedule for a decent double? Absolutely, but not as a substitute for the long run (from the guy who ran 9 + 5.5 + 5.5 yesterday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

It's an interesting question. Here's another one for you:
    Does 12 + 6 = 6 + 12?
    I'd imagine most would prefer to run the longer portion first, because it's easier. If you had to cover 18 miles, then splitting it up into something like 12 + 6 is the easiest way to get it done, and therein lies the answer. If it's easier, it's not equivalent. It creates new stresses (e.g. you may be stiffer for the final 6 miles, than those final 6 miles of a single 18 mile mile run), but it's taxing in a slightly different way that doesn't hit you in the same manner as running the 18 miles straight. You'll have eaten and rehydrated. You'll have rested. You may even have stretched. Is there room in the schedule for a decent double? Absolutely, but not as a substitute for the long run (from the guy who ran 9 + 5.5 + 5.5 yesterday).

Makes sense - so 12 + 6 = 12 + 6 and 6 + 12 = 6 + 12. I'm doing 6 + 5 + 6 today!

I would say 6 + 12 is closer to 18 than 12 + 6 so I'll see about swapping things around if I can.

Hopefully I'll be able to do 18-20 every other week or maybe 1 week in 3.

I'm doing 6 + 5 + 6 today!
    I've been doing these split runs for a couple of marathon cycles now, and I have to say that I find splitting a run into three sections really tough. You are never really recovered (particularly if there are only 3-4 hours between runs), so by the final run you are very tired. While they won't have the same endurance equivalence as doing the lot in one go, there is definitely a tangential benefit. Besides, anyone who is splitting 18-20 miles into three runs is doing it for a work or lifestyle reason (fitting in mileage around long work or meeting family needs) so it's better than letting one run slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Makes sense - so 12 + 6 = 12 + 6 and 6 + 12 = 6 + 12. I'm doing 6 + 5 + 6 today!

I would say 6 + 12 is closer to 18 than 12 + 6 so I'll see about swapping things around if I can.

Hopefully I'll be able to do 18-20 every other week or maybe 1 week in 3.

Jesus, I can barely say it let alone run it....:D

P20. Many people confuse the product brand name with a sun-screen factor, but P20 is good for 10+ hours. It's the only product I'd use before a hot marathon, as it'd mean I wouldn't have to think about sun-screen for the rest of the day. One less thing to worry about.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »

Got it today and tried it out on my sweaty run this evening and it's great! Expensive alright but cheaper than hospital care for skin cancer in 10 years. I like that's it's clear in colour and leaves a nice sheen on the skin too:D
    Thank you thank you thank you for the recommendation!!!

Got it today and tried it out on my sweaty run this evening and it's great! Expensive alright but cheaper than hospital care for skin cancer in 10 years. I like that's it's clear in colour and leaves a nice sheen on the skin too:D
    Thank you thank you thank you for the recommendation!!!

Very welcome, glad you're sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2655355/Wearing-sunscreen-NOT-prevent-skin-cancer-Study-claims-SPF-factor-50-cream-lets-UV-radiation-damage-skin.html

I run at night or evening normally in winter. My father had skin cancer. I was asked on another thread if I actually wear leggings as my legs are so white. Its not by plan but I don't like the sun tbh. {I don't drink blood ;) } but be safe and do your research.

Advertisement