Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    you're lucky you dont live up here, spot check inspections all the time...

Ah we have had a few now but all they ever got onto us was for some broken concrete and gutters.
    The way we work it is no sheds are emptied till we use up all the bale s in silage pit. Then we clean out every shed into it. Works okay but if cows come in full time early it gets a bit messy

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

John_F wrote: »
    dont want to start this into a dairymaster bashing thread but it came to my mind there.

this is a pic of a dairymaster claw.. look at the shells that hold the liners.... its a piece of stainless pipe with a blue plastic insert for the short pulse tube and the liner

ClusterCleanse.jpg

cost cutting??
    ok fullwood and GEA had something similar for a while with a clear insert to see if the liner was cracked but went away from it, the shell still had a nipple for the short pulse tube.

compare it to the shell GEA use with two back shells heavier than the front as cows have more milk in back quarters.
    I havent seen them to break, have you?
    There is an awful lot of dairymaster bashing but has anyone considered how the hell have they grown to a large company? Furthermore if they were so inadquate and causing scc proplems, components breaking ie. plastic fittings etc I would bet any money they have them proplems improved immediately. They dont want a ****ty name for poor products. You might fool some people for a while but you cant indefinitely . There service is second to none but as I am sure so is most companies. Also I am sure that most companies are top class. Everyone has there faults and failings. All the previous mentioned companies didnt get to where they are today by having a poor reputation. The local lad Daisymaster that wrote up a quote on an envelope just was not doing his job, end of.But couldnt he have been from any other company also?
    This doesnt reflect Dairymasters ethos. I would question his commitement.
    With all thing been equal, Has anyone considered the fact that at least Dairymaster are Irish, providing an amount of Irish jobs to a rural area. Talk so some familys in Causeway and see how they appreciate there place of work. No other company can claim there are manfacturing in Ireland.
    Finally just to point out I have no alligence to ANY company but wish to bring balance to the dicussion and not ones own slant......just because whoever have xxx palour and it is the BEST attutide !!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

joejobrien wrote: »
    There is an awful lot of dairymaster bashing but has anyone considered how the hell have they grown to a large company? Furthermore if they were so inadquate and causing scc proplems, components breaking ie. plastic fittings etc I would bet any money they have them proplems improved immediately. They dont want a ****ty name for poor products. You might fool some people for a while but you cant indefinitely . There service is second to none but as I am sure so is most companies. Also I am sure that most companies are top class. Everyone has there faults and failings. All the previous mentioned companies didnt get to where they are today by having a poor reputation. The local lad Daisymaster that wrote up a quote on an envelope just was not doing his job, end of.But couldnt he have been from any other company also?
    With all thing been equal, Has anyone considered the fact that at least Dairymaster are Irish, providing an amount of Irish jobs to a rural area. Talk so some familys in Causeway and see how they appreciate there place of work. No other company can claim there are manfacturing in Ireland.
    Finally just to point out I have no alligence to ANY company but wish to bring balance to the dicussion and not ones own slant......just because whoever have xxx palour and it is the BEST attutide !!!!.

Hard to disagree joe,dairymaster are a great Irish company yes and provide great employment but my and a few others faults with them are legit.i milked in a few dairymaster parlours and didn't like them but that's just me.i didn't like its build quality and found trying to get quotes off them even the guys from Kerry a nightmare,they give u a quote,go away and when u go back they start knocking big money off.personallt when dealing with Gea and full wood the price I got was very close to what I eventually ended up paying with every item individually lusted and no substitioun with lower grade parts for a lower price .d master just thought because there Irish I'd buy off them they never even offered to take me to parlours to see them in operation ,I did it myself.with full wood and Gea I was given royal treatment with reps taking me off to several different places and providing whatever assistance I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Hard to disagree joe,dairymaster are a great Irish company yes and provide great employment but my and a few others faults with them are legit.i milked in a few dairymaster parlours and didn't like them but that's just me.i didn't like its build quality and found trying to get quotes off them even the guys from Kerry a nightmare,they give u a quote,go away and when u go back they start knocking big money off.personallt when dealing with Gea and full wood the price I got was very close to what I eventually ended up paying with every item individually lusted and no substitioun with lower grade parts for a lower price .d master just thought because there Irish I'd buy off them they never even offered to take me to parlours to see them in operation ,I did it myself.with full wood and Gea I was given royal treatment with reps taking me off to several different places and providing whatever assistance I needed.
    That was my experience with Dairymaster also, no discount available but when the job went to Delaval they were mad to sell me 2x2 at a steep discount.

Delaval took me to a few parlours similar to what i was looking to build and advised me what to put in now to make it easier to upgrade in future, eg a dearer milk pump to allow me to put in a variable speed milk pump in future instead of the manual restrictor i opted for at the time.

In saying that though, we have a big nest of Delaval milking machines within sight of the Dairymaster buildings so it made sense to look after us well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

dont want to start this into a dairymaster bashing thread but it came to my mind there.

this is a pic of a dairymaster claw.. look at the shells that hold the liners.... its a piece of stainless pipe with a blue plastic insert for the short pulse tube and the liner

ClusterCleanse.jpg

cost cutting??
    ok fullwood and GEA had something similar for a while with a clear insert to see if the liner was cracked but went away from it, the shell still had a nipple for the short pulse tube.

compare it to the shell GEA use with two back shells heavier than the front as cows have more milk in back quarters.

Have a Dairymaster at home, but no alligence to them

WE find the Dairymaster claw to be very light and well designed ergonomically making it much easier to use

some of the other claw pieces seem massive and heavy in comparison and definitely don't seem as user friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

I haven't... but i haven't been hanging around dairymaster machines. They have grown into a large company by exporting... and if you are any irish manufacturing company in ireland and exporting then the government will give you money.. same as keenans and many more, not saying there is anything wrong with it but it is a factor to growth!

the dairymaster machines pre approx 2000 were what made hartys name along with excellent backup. his network of dealers around the country helped the business greatly and he does look after them too.

as i said they are a huge irish success story... i just don't like the product, to say you should support irish by parting with a substantial amount of money for a piece of equipment that you need twice a day every day of the year is fair going without looking at the competition. especially considering the volume of milk put through the competition machines globally versus dairymaster

also there are other irish makes e.g. pearson
    Panch18 wrote: »
    Have a Dairymaster at home, but no alligence to them

WE find the Dairymaster claw to be very light and well designed ergonomically making it much easier to use

some of the other claw pieces seem massive and heavy in comparison and definitely don't seem as user friendly

im talking about the shells that hold the liners. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

5live wrote: »
    That was my experience with Dairymaster also, no discount available but when the job went to Delaval they were mad to sell me 2x2 at a steep discount.

Delaval took me to a few parlours similar to what i was looking to build and advised me what to put in now to make it easier to upgrade in future, eg a dearer milk pump to allow me to put in a variable speed milk pump in future instead of the manual restrictor i opted for at the time.

In saying that though, we have a big nest of Delaval milking machines within sight of the Dairymaster buildings so it made sense to look after us well:D

often heard that there i a heap of delavals in kerry, a heap of dairymaster in the midlands, heap of westfalias in the south east and pearson and senior making up the rest in the south east.

often heard that there i a heap of delavals in kerry, a heap of dairymaster in the midlands, heap of westfalias in the south east and pearson and senior making up the rest in the south east.
    :D

There is no shortage of good quotes if any of my neighbours goes about building a parlour. Its great PR for Delaval and a thorn in the side for Dairymaster.

Better to be born lucky than born smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Find out what a big service will cist ye too.
    I remember the two yrs I was in Kildalton a big service cist them 5 k.
    That's a lot of money to try find in the spring before ye milk a ciww and money is tight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

I put in a second hand ten unit palour with new rails for sixteen and reconditioned meal troughs for 1000 a unit fitted. With all rubberwear and seals and clawpieces new. its a delaval with swing arms and low line wash. Delighted with it no scc or tbc problems. Localish delaval supplier put it in.

Service is middling.

• Advertisement

john f, First I never said you should buy an Irish product without looking at other quotes, "I said all things been equal". Ithink we all assume that is a fore gone conclusion before we start. DMaster palours are well capable of milking high yielding herd as much a low yielding herds which are both in Ireland and contient twice a day 365 days a year
    .Thank you for recognising that they have excellent backup, they are on call 24/7/365.
    Also they export which I never claimed that they didnt, but equally so are all of the other companies. By this manner they must also be suppling a good quality product like everyone else.

5 Live ......In respect of quotations I must say there was no proplem in getting any company to provide a quotation except for one particular company, that shall remain nameless. Furthermore all quotes were all quiet close to one another when one compared LIKE FOR LIKE. They will all supply you with farm visits, reference etc etc . Im sure d master is also athorn in the side of deval also as others.

One of my neighbours who recently instaled a deval palour who was coming from an old deval palour milked in a good number of them incl dairymaster etc would have little bother in purchasing a D Master only that he was familiar with deval and stuck with same. However one regret he had with deval was they were too slow on installation finding himself milking in a makeshift till mid March and before anyone says did he give them enough time ....yes mid Dec on. Also they were hell bent in getting one into the area and provided a pleasant discount.
    All I am trying to do is bring balance to the disscussion. Not knocking or bashing just trying to bring a reasonable point of view without knocking................a very important feature in a sales person ie stand up your own product WITHOUT CUTTING THE s***t out of your competiors. Iwould have questions myself, about some other companies but I am sure they are many happy farmers. Personally I have found DMaster to be a fine palour and would highly recommend and dont believe any would be dissappointed but it comes down mostly to personal preferences.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I take your point mahoney j,but I have to say we found the complete opposite very helpful, vist wer endless if one wanted more , but so did other companies. Just on fullwood I know a rotary not a hundred miles away from me perhaps 5/6 years and numeruos components have been replaced. I just making the point THEY ALL CAN HAVE THER FAULTS..... no one is more precious over the other

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alco16

Timmaay wrote: »
    What sort of feeders? Likes of cashmans workout about 900euro per point, so your figure without the feeders would be 3100/unit which isnt too bad. Is the vacuum pump and milk line spec'ed for a 20unit?
    daitymaster feeders and yes pump and line spec for the 20 units

I take your point mahoney j,but I have to say we found the complete opposite very helpful, vist wer endless if one wanted more , but so did other companies. Just on fullwood I know a rotary not a hundred miles away from me perhaps 5/6 years and numeruos components have been replaced. I just making the point THEY ALL CAN HAVE THER FAULTS..... one is more precious over the other
    i found the same diarymaster rep v helpful been out 3 times plus brought me to few farms to see the finished product with emphases on what suits your budget plus getting bulid right the first day frills on parlour can be added in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alco16 wrote: »

Interesting, time to price them up myself.

Just keep an eye on vacuum pumps. I put in 2 DP76s in mine, enough for 20 units 12 years ago. The specs have changed and now vacuum only suitable for 16 units. If i want to go to 17 i will have to replace a vacuum pump with a DP77. It might be better to over spec especially if you are thinking about cluster removers in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭visatorro

Also with dairymaster the pump for the dump line is ran off the same motor as the normal pump. There is only a rubber seal between them. Heard of this seal going and antibiotic milk from dump line ending up in tank. Just a service issue with them that could be costly

5live wrote: »
    Just keep an eye on vacuum pumps. I put in 2 DP76s in mine, enough for 20 units 12 years ago. The specs have changed and now vacuum only suitable for 16 units. If i want to go to 17 i will have to replace a vacuum pump with a DP77. It might be better to over spec especially if you are thinking about cluster removers in future.
    cheers am told pump is spec
    for 20 am only putting in 14 cow numbers and budget its plenty atm

visatorro wrote: »
    Also with dairymaster the pump for the dump line is ran off the same motor as the normal pump. There is only a rubber seal between them. Heard of this seal going and antibiotic milk from dump line ending up in tank. Just a service issue with them that could be costly
    havnt any plans for dumpline atm some people swear by them others say not needed, cheers for info though dosnt seem a good way of doin things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

havnt any plans for dumpline atm some people swear by them others say not needed, cheers for info though dosnt seem a good way of doin things

Dumpline is a must, and acr's should get serious consideration as well. If ur going to be spending a lot of the rest of ur working life there, u shouldn't feel guilty about having a few comforts

• Advertisement

Dumpline is a must, and acr's should get serious consideration as well. If ur going to be spending a lot of the rest of ur working life there, u shouldn't feel guilty about having a few comforts
    yeah down the line all goin well plan to add but new buliding, parlour and tank frightning how it all adds up, really want to see how things pan out when quotas so keeping it pretty basic to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭visatorro

Dumpline isn't a must. Two dump buckets. One for biestings one for antibiotic milk to be dumped. You still don't have to leave the pit. Fair enough it's handyish but starting off you can't go mad with all the bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm considering all the options also, and 2bh I think a semi automatic drafting gate would be more useful than a dumpline. With the semi auto drafting gate you put a tag on the cows tail who you want to draft, so draft through any cow who needs to be held and take the pipe outa the tank for the last row. Do this during calving season at least. A dump bucket should do fine during the main season when you shouldnt be holding more than a cow or so anyways.

Dumpline isn't a must. Two dump buckets. One for biestings one for antibiotic milk to be dumped. You still don't have to leave the pit. Fair enough it's handyish but starting off you can't go mad with all the bells.

Hauling buckets of milk up outta the pit and all the way to the calfhouse to feed all the calves when it could just be pumped straight to them. Life's too short for that. Of course, that's if ur feeding whole milk to calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I couldn't agree with you on the dumpline.... I would much rather have my bucket and know for certain that the milk is def not gone into the tank....! But every other gadget I'd have no bother...

On dairymaster, I not going to say too much... As I live close to them... But I know of lads that changed over the pulsation from 4x0 to 2x2 and there scc didn't improve one bit! When you think about it what farmer is going to blame himself or his cows for high scc... None! The easy option is blame the parlour... When I was in Meath.... Dairymaster was king... Nobody complained bout scc up there!

Our dairymaster is 40 yrs old.. And tis going well... Scc is 158 last collection..
    Someone said earlier that the dairymaster pre2000 was well made.. Everyone around here says the same... They have def overdone it with the plastic. I was in the plant a while back and the plastics/moulding room was like Times Square at rush hour... It's like the whole parlour is made in there!!

But i have to say that Ned Harty is an absolute gentleman and held in very high regard in Kerry... One story sums him up... During Xmas a few yrs ago a farmer's calf feeder broke down.. He made a call to dairymaster.. Went to answering machine.. St. Stephen's Day a man arrived and fixed feeder.. The man would take no money for going to the trouble of calling out.... Later in the yr at a show.. The farmer went to dairymaster stand and was talking to a sales rep.. The man who fixed his feeder was also there... The farmer asked the rep who was the guy that fixed. His feeder on stephens day that he was a fierce nice man... The sales rep looked at the farmer as if he had 2 heads... Ned Harty himself came out to fix the feeder...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 international xl

Ah dairymaster only have of there products on the farm and just endless trouble should have been a little wiser at the start all there stuff is 12volt where as the standard is 24volt double the current and double the heat coils and boards just burn out .Was putting in a larger tank a couple of years ago was only going to buy one brand father wanted to price around so I did DAIRY MASTER rocked in listen to the sales pitch then he looked around at the rest of the setup said it was gone beyond it usefulness I said happy with speed reliability and scc he just kept at it even when the new tank went in the end I just said bought knowledge is better then thought and please leave the premises now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

For me drafting system more important than dumpline but must admit never milked more than 10 unit.I prefer to draft the cows out andmilk them in a bunch after and bucket for odd ones durring the rest of the year

Agree a drafting system is v important, but it's doesn't have to be all bells and whistles,and doesn't have to cost a fortune. Just a bit of thought and planning and a gate worked from by a rope/lever from the parlour is what's doing the business in most farms, and u still have money left over for other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

+1

• Advertisement

Ah dairymaster only have of there products on the farm and just endless trouble should have been a little wiser at the start all there stuff is 12volt where as the standard is 24volt double the current and double the heat coils and boards just burn out .Was putting in a larger tank a couple of years ago was only going to buy one brand father wanted to price around so I did DAIRY MASTER rocked in listen to the sales pitch then he looked around at the rest of the setup said it was gone beyond it usefulness I said happy with speed reliability and scc he just kept at it even when the new tank went in the end I just said bought knowledge is better then thought and please leave the premises now.

So u called the dairymaster rep to visit u just to keep ur father happy, even though u had ur mind made up before he even arrived that u were only going to buy one brand, which wasn't his. He probably realised this pretty soon after meeting u, and that u were only wasting his time, so to try and salvage something from his visit he tried to sell u a milking machine, at which point u told him to leave the premises. I think the only knowledge bought here was on the reps side!

Advertisement