Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone, decent bit of food for thought here, I'll admit to being of the option that I didn't really need any of the gadgets but I guess I'm lucky to be in a different situation to the likes of GG or Frazz in terms of borrowings, and with the aim for 120+ HO cows in the future from largely a 1 man show I really need to take advantage of everything like this that helps. My one issue is the grant only covers me for a parlour up to 42k, I shouldn't have put in the min costings for everything when I applied for the grant.

Any chance you could go ahead say without acrs this year under TAMS1 but make a deal to put them in next year under the new grant scheme, you will start as having claimed nil from grants on 1 January 15, only thing is if your planning on say claiming a grant for new slatted house up until 2020 then it all adds to the total allowed under new grant scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

KCTK wrote: »
    Any chance you could go ahead say without acrs this year under TAMS1 but make a deal to put them in next year under the new grant scheme, you will start as having claimed nil from grants on 1 January 15, only thing is if your planning on say claiming a grant for new slatted house up until 2020 then it all adds to the total allowed under new grant scheme.

Will look into that definitely, thanks.

Can I actually nick in here with a question, what is the cost roughly of a feed to yield system, have basic batch feeders at the moment but looking at some figures some guys on boards are quoting it appear that they would give a return relatively quickly.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Not sure how much it is in total but cashman type feeders cost about 1k a unit, they would allow you to feed individually if you knew each cows yield, will be trying to stretch to those myself if I can as I have winter and spring calvers together and record monthly so have info relatively recent on each cow, won.t be ideal for a relief milker tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

KCTK wrote: »
    Can I actually nick in here with a question, what is the cost roughly of a feed to yield system, have basic batch feeders at the moment but looking at some figures some guys on boards are quoting it appear that they would give a return relatively quickly.
    Cheers
    Dairymaster quoted me 1300 a unit, plastic 50kg bin between 2 troughs, augers, single control box and replacing the bottom of the bin for the augers and a small take off point.

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Not sure how much it is in total but cashman type feeders cost about 1k a unit, they would allow you to feed individually if you knew each cows yield, will be trying to stretch to those myself if I can as I have winter and spring calvers together and record monthly so have info relatively recent on each cow, won.t be ideal for a relief milker tho

I'm guessing Stan, mahoney etc have auto ids driving there feeders which means you really would be going into the big bucks if basic is €1k each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

OK frazzled will hit the roof with me for asking this question, but anyways, putting in a 14unit parlour, 10k for acrs and milk meters. Should I bother? If I had a compact spring herd I defo wouldn't, but I got a mix of 40l HOs, jess and stale cows in the parlour at once so fair mix in milking volume and speeds in the parlour.

€10 will buy 500m aprox of roadway

Ok thanks everyone, decent bit of food for thought here, I'll admit to being of the option that I didn't really need any of the gadgets but I guess I'm lucky to be in a different situation to the likes of GG or Frazz in terms of borrowings, and with the aim for 120+ HO cows in the future from largely a 1 man show I really need to take advantage of everything like this that helps. My one issue is the grant only covers me for a parlour up to 42k, I shouldn't have put in the min costings for everything when I applied for the grant.

Tim, my decision is not based on borrowings but very simple RETURN ON INVESTMENT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

€10 will buy 500m aprox of roadway

The amount of roadways I could have in if I kept my beer money :D

Someone, I can't find post mentioned that nobody had taken them out. I took them from a 16 unit as they were completely and totally in the way. I have a 12 unit that hasn't been used since July 2012 with ACRS. this parlour is being extended to 18 for 2016 and ACRs will be removed. Only necessary in a double up or rotary IMV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Someone, I can't find post mentioned that nobody had taken them out. I took them from a 16 unit as they were completely and totally in the way. I have a 12 unit that hasn't been used since July 2012 with ACRS. this parlour is being extended to 18 for 2016 and ACRs will be removed. Only necessary in a double up or rotary IMV

How are they in the way frazzled? Never milked in a parlour with em myself is it the way they swing out as you move up yourself. One or two In the pit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

In my opinion ACRS is just one more costly thing to maintain ,service and go wrong.
    One man should easily be able to operate a 12 or 14 unit parlor without them for the 80 most important minutes on the farm twice a day.
    I've been doing it for 30 years.
    Focus.Keep it simple and don't go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mongo76

Looking at a hi spec at the mo , all main manufacturers quoted . Dairymaster 4:0 pulsation, is a stickler fir me, are all the horror stories of lads throwing out high scc parlors myths or does anyone know one for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Are u doing all/most of the milkings in these parlours? If it's hired labour then fair enough. I think the man who asked this question said he's gonna be running a one man show milking around 120 cows, if someone in this situation can't have a perk like this for himself for the rest of his working life then I don't know what to say. Live to work or work to live comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

whitebriar wrote: »
    In my opinion ACRS is just one more costly thing to maintain ,service and go wrong.
    One man should easily be able to operate a 12 or 14 unit parlor without them for the 80 most important minutes on the farm twice a day.

Sorry what's ACRS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

farmerjj wrote: »
    Sorry what's ACRS?

Automatic cluster removers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Are u doing all/most of the milkings in these parlours? If it's hired labour then fair enough. I think the man who asked this question said he's gonna be running a one man show milking around 120 cows, if someone in this situation can't have a perk like this for himself for the rest of his working life then I don't know what to say. Live to work or work to live comes to mind

I wouldn't call it a perk, it's a business decision. The OP is talking about 120 cows, you will meet farmers with 60 cows that are run into the ground, and there's farmers with 120 that have everything under control and seem to have loads of spare time. Investments like this make a massive difference in management.
    The likes of ACRs, decent feeding equipment, drafting, etc are all aids to a person working on their own. They do give a return on investment in both help and financially. If you're putting up a parlour, and you're going to be facing into 120 cows twice a day for the next 20 years and you can't put reasonable working facilities, boll1x it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

whitebriar wrote: »

I've 18 units in 11 years now. The ACRs have never once gave me trouble, or cost me a cent. And the meters have a gasket in them that gets replaced every 2 years @ 3.50€ each.

Up to 2 year ago did all he milking, milk most mornings now and every wend. Our milker doesn't want them. I've no problem with ACRs or anything else in a parlour for that matter. For me 16-18 units don't need them and also see guys building 20 units with the toys and starting off with 70 cows. These I'd worry for post 15

BTW wheather I milk or not has nothing to do with it, it's about the cow and money

I wouldn't call it a perk, it's a business decision. The OP is talking about 120 cows, you will meet farmers with 60 cows that are run into the ground, and there's farmers with 120 that have everything under control and seem to have loads of spare time. Investments like this make a massive difference in management.
    The likes of ACRs, decent feeding equipment, drafting, etc are all aids to a person working on their own. They do give a return on investment in both help and financially. If you're putting up a parlour, and you're going to be facing into 120 cows twice a day for the next 20 years and you can't put reasonable working facilities, boll1x it.

120 cows 16 units 1 hrs or less, why spend €16k+ for 10 minutes?

I was replying to Timmay who is talking of 14 units, Jesus you'd have them flicked over while the machine would be hanging them up.

Agree on drafting and feeding. All I'm doing is giving my opinion and I won't be wasting my money on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Up to 2 year ago did all he milking, milk most mornings now and every wend. Our milker doesn't want them. I've no problem with ACRs or anything else in a parlour for that matter. For me 16-18 units don't need them and also see guys building 20 units with the toys and starting off with 70 cows. These I'd worry for post 15

BTW wheather I milk or not has nothing to do with it, it's about the cow and money

Disagree with you (that milking has nothing to do with it. ) tim will probably be doing 90% of the milking himself all the time. Whereas you come and go to it because you have the staff in place. A lot easier to say they are not needed then.

Disagree with you (that milking has nothing to do with it. ) tim will probably be doing 90% of the milking himself all the time. Whereas you come and go to it because you have the staff in place. A lot easier to say they are not needed then.

Come and go? Did 100% of milking for 20 yrs I actually know what I'm talking about. Asked milker about them and he flatly said no, has milked on other parlours with them and hates them.

People think they're great and maybe they are, I don't and I had them. Road ways, growing 14 tonnes, genetics and buying land would be higher on my list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Come and go? Did 100% of milking for 20 yrs I actually know what I'm talking about. Asked milker about them and he flatly said no, has milked on other parlours with them and hates them.

People think they're great and maybe they are, I don't and I had them. Road ways, growing 14 tonnes, genetics and buying land would be higher on my list of priorities.

It's funny the way guys have different views on them.. I know a guy who was dead against them (fast milker) then got them thought they were great.
    Why does he hate them? I don't have them but sometimes think they would be handy as they stop over milking and give you time to check any dodgy cows. I know you don't dip do you wash strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

have acrs in 15 unit parlour, handy in winter when i run scrapers in cubiclesheds while cows are out, can put on a row , go out and check scraper , do mats and row will be off if i get delayed. Handy at this time of year when i have to go out to collecting yard to get cows in. You either like them or you dont, feck all maintenance on them

It's funny the way guys have different views on them.. I know a guy who was dead against them (fast milker) then got them thought they were great.
    Why does he hate them? I don't have them but sometimes think they would be handy as they stop over milking and give you time to check any dodgy cows. I know you don't dip do you wash strip?

Dot wash or strip but post spray. All cows wiped during housed period.

In a 16 a lot of standing around waiting for cows to finish. Then you need to wait for acr to engage and then catch and lift unit or activate by switch, cup cow and pull string. You'd have it on 2 cows while waiting.

I'd deffo future proof any new parlour by having it acr ready in case I went over 20 units. They won't make you money but some feel they give an easier life, I don't

In Tims case he has often posted about drainage and poor access to paddocks and that's where I'd invest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

I fecking hate the cursed things. Time wasters that I never trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dot wash or strip but post spray. All cows wiped during housed period.

In a 16 a lot of standing around waiting for cows to finish. Then you need to wait for acr to engage and then catch and lift unit or activate by switch, cup cow and pull string. You'd have it on 2 cows while waiting.

I'd deffo future proof any new parlour by having it acr ready in case I went over 20 units. They won't make you money but some feel they give an easier life, I don't

In Tims case he has often posted about drainage and poor access to paddocks and that's where I'd invest.

Don't worry I'm definitely not letting the eye off the ball, the main goals still are the 14tons of grass, longer grazing season and tighter calving pattern. We have some drainage work and roadway improvement on the go now and this will be ongoing for next year or so. The only reason I'm considering the acrs and milk meters at all are that it would be quick and easy to have them installed right now while a new parlour is going in, 10k isn't a huge amount and I would not be diverting funding away from any other area's like roadways etc.

But I had not thought about having to wait for the Acr to disengage, that's definitely a disadvantage, I generally don't hang around in the parlour when swapping over sides so that might do my head in. But anyways I think by now I just need to go visiting parlours and see what works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Worked in two 16 units . one for 4 mths -acrs. and spent 2 yrs relief milking for a lad at weekends-no acts or metres.
    Didn't like the one I was in for 4 mths. Was standing around a lot of the time. Took an hour to milk 100 cows
    Parlour I spent 2 yrs in was a lot nicer. Big high roof and very bright inside and cows came in and out very quick. 1hr 15 min to milk 120 cows.
    I'd put on cups get in next row strip them. Take clusters off other row and hang up. Let that row out. Start cupping on next row and by the time I'd got to end last cow was out of last line. Next row in and do the same routine again. Wasnt flat put either. There was at least a minute or two where I was waiting for cows to finish.
    Good cow flow makes it a lot easier.
    Other 16 unit I was in was a balls of a job and only newly built.
    There was a wall behind parlour and collecting yard was behind that so I had to go and push in cows through a side door.
    Only time I ever got out of other parlour was to open gates to let cows off

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Whats this waiting around for and disengaging business / engage catch and lift bit. Maybe some have this system but for certain Dairymaster allows you faster flow/ move on by just swinging left or right wit auto start. no waiting as previously mentioned. Also on further note. you u would like to make life a little bit easier wouldnt you .............25 yrsplus experience should carry abit of weight i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Jaysus lads ud swear a bit of technology in parlour was the work ofcthe devil.i have a lot of the bells and whistles and if there was only obe I'd do without it'd be the dump line even though it's very handy for 6 weeks in spring.acrs are feed to yield are the 2 I wouldn't be without ,acrs def don't slow milking like some suggest and also are very consistent when nut comes to cup removal ,vacume shut off and nice steady removal every time .in tim case with the variation in his cows feed to yield would serve him extremely well and save him on his meal bill,as he is stocked highly and feeding all year.id definetly agree though if a lot of work has to be done with reseeding ,roadways etc get it done first .gettingvas much high quality grass for as long as possible has to be first priority but depending on sr,system and cow type parlour feed can be a nesecity

Advertisement