Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

I have the evil acr's here as well sixteen unit parlour 110 cows going through it at the moment no issue with them at all and certainly will not be taking them out.

You would what to be some man to milk in my parlour from now on without them come October November time they will be coming off before your finished putting the row on.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Milked out wrote: »
    Lads at the end of the day it's if things are tight you put in what you need and if you are in a position to afford it put in what you want simple as really. by all means look at everything but we all have our own preferences be it new tractors, parlours or keeping the money in our pockets.
    In full agreement with your quote but would strongly advise that sometime spending a little extra will save alot be it hardship, time, convience or what ever your reason is over YOUR working life.....go for it. Also if you love working for hardship and think that you feel better with an extra few quid in your pocket over your neighbour who spent a little extra over their life, well so be it ...your happy and maybe your wife/partner and family will be too .
    I know for certain most employer of other business have to have excellent facilities for the employees otherwise they will be gone in no lenght. You wont see teagasc staff in their office roughing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

stanflt wrote: »
    Feed to yield

Set base feed ie 25 litre no feed and litre over that 0.5 kg per litre

Theirs enough energy in terms of ufl in 1 kg of meal to support 2.1litres of milk

So if your not getting 2100 litre extra from every tonne of concentrate your not being effecient

If your feeding 800kg of meal and delivering 5500 litre per cow than only 3800 is coming from grass

Lads need to smarten up

I think your saying not to substitute. We'll feed 800 kgs inc winter group, look like selling 1500kg/ha and on target to grow 16 tonnes. Would a feed to yield do something for me? I'm thinking about it more and more and not too sure if it'll add to bottom line

Starting to milk now, Jesus I wish I had ACRs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I wish I had a robot. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Wow, milking at 320! I'll spend the rest of the day with kids and go out milking around 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Anyone visit the two lads in Meath with the 4 robots?
    Biggest lads in Europe using robots and grazing.
    Fed 380kgs if meal last yr. Robots costing 1700/yr in service

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Clear pattern emerging here, those with ACR's and plenty experience of them seem to think they're thebusiness and wouldn't be without. And those who don't with limited experience of them or only experience of very archaic versions of them think they're a waste of money. Just to nail my colours to the flag, I'm firmly in the first camp! And Tim my advice to u would be to visit and ideally milk in 5/6 parlours with them, instead of listening to guys who don't even have them.

Excellent post and advice there

Wow, milking at 320! I'll spend the rest of the day with kids and go out milking around 7

Same here and be working half the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

Anyone visit the two lads in Meath with the 4 robots?
    Biggest lads in Europe using robots and grazing.
    Fed 380kgs if meal last yr. Robots costing 1700/yr in service

I've been there a couple of times- excellent set up And first class operators

380kg meal ?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

td5man wrote: »
    Same here and be working half the night.

I know but m kids are still v young

380kg meal ?????????

Well.400kg in artical took 380 out of my head before I reread it.
    I'd say they must be. The 7k for services would go a good way to pay a relief milker and the IDD bit if help

I'd say they must be. The 7 for services would go a good way to pay a relief milker and the IDD bit if help

A relief milker one day a week is 5k a year

Maintainer on a 24unit parlour inc breakdown possibly 4k a year so 7k is good value and covers all part and labour

I know but m kids are still v young

Mine too.

A relief milker one day a week is 5k a year

Maintainer on a 24unit parlour inc breakdown possibly 4k a year so 7k is good value and covers all part and labour

How much are you paying a relief milker?
    Its an interesting one alright. Plenty of time to look after cows and calves in spring

td5man wrote: »
    Mine too.

So are mine, that's why I milk early ha

Only joking like to be finished by 5.30 on Sun. Go for a cycle around lake when home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Excellent post and advice there

tim come up and milk 12 units acrs built 1978
    good acr do not cause scc problems or drag in sht. 170 cws 2 hours
    would like to go16 or 20 units for one man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I'd say they must be. The 7k for services would go a good way to pay a relief milker and the IDD bit if help

Is that a fixed service price for a number of years or for the expected life time of the robots?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

milkprofit wrote: »
    tim come up and milk 12 units acrs built 1978
    good acr do not cause scc problems or drag in sht. 170 cws 2 hours
    would like to go16 or 20 units for one man

You looking for a bit of free labour in the parlour :p but yeh might take you up on that offer, I'm going to look at a new 12unit Gascoigne parlour in gorey soon enough also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Feed to yield

Set base feed ie 25 litre no feed and litre over that 0.5 kg per litre

Theirs enough energy in terms of ufl in 1 kg of meal to support 2.1litres of milk

So if your not getting 2100 litre extra from every tonne of concentrate your not being effecient

If your feeding 800kg of meal and delivering 5500 litre per cow than only 3800 is coming from grass

Lads need to smarten up

Stan, just trying to do some of the sums here
    Say you're feeding for the milk over 25 litres. And no feeding for the under 25 litres.
    And allow for say 60 days at the end of lactation, cows doing 20( average, rough figures)
    That's
    25litres x 245days + 60x20 is 7300 litres.
    At what points are you coming in and out with meal. Have you the 25litre line lower in spring and autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I think your saying not to substitute. We'll feed 800 kgs inc winter group, look like selling 1500kg/ha and on target to grow 16 tonnes. Would a feed to yield do something for me? I'm thinking about it more and more and not too sure if it'll add to bottom line

Frazzled thinking about feed to yield and Mahoney putting in topless cubicles. Detente. Place will get boring.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

380kg meal ?????????

That servicing figure has to be wrong too!! 1700 /yr me boll1x.

a gold service is 1700 per robot for total warrenty-trust me ive priced them

I'm reliably informed the cost of servicing a lely robot is 5 to 7 k depending on spec.

I'm reliably informed the cost of servicing a lely robot is 5 to 7 k depending on spec.

id have to disagree with you for maybe only the 1st time on this one-

id have to disagree with you for maybe only the 1st time on this one-

Freind of mine and his brother HAD 2 a3 robots,he was also working on installation and service of them.only going on what he told me open to correction though

Freind of mine and his brother HAD 2 a3 robots,he was also working on installation and service of them.only going on what he told me open to correction though

had what have they now

had what have they now

Both threw out and back milking in old 10 unit double up.built a big shed for 140 cows with separators flush system etc and cows inside full time zero grazed grass and silage maize etc.big issues with running costs and cows feet .not something that either talked about much to be honest freind has since packed in job and gearing farm up to milk 250 cows post quota .new parlour currently been planned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 UncleGrrr

KCTK , MilkedOut... The feeders would cost less for auto id. There are no control panels per feeder, just the bare feeder and two solenoid valves. The auto id system itself is the cost... Also €1K is waaaaay too much for a double feeder, should be closer to €850...

Advertisement