Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Ah dairymaster only have of there products on the farm and just endless trouble should have been a little wiser at the start all there stuff is 12volt where as the standard is 24volt double the current and double the heat coils and boards just burn out .Was putting in a larger tank a couple of years ago was only going to buy one brand father wanted to price around so I did DAIRY MASTER rocked in listen to the sales pitch then he looked around at the rest of the setup said it was gone beyond it usefulness I said happy with speed reliability and scc he just kept at it even when the new tank went in the end I just said bought knowledge is better then thought and please leave the premises now.

Fair enough the sales man was an idiot. Plenty of them around working for different companies!

Just on your 12v 24v point. We fitted 12v DM feeders here in 1988, 26 years ago. They are still working perfect today. They are now considered obsolete, however I don't intend replacing them when they still work!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

So u called the dairymaster rep to visit u just to keep ur father happy, even though u had ur mind made up before he even arrived that u were only going to buy one brand, which wasn't his. He probably realised this pretty soon after meeting u, and that u were only wasting his time, so to try and salvage something from his visit he tried to sell u a milking machine, at which point u told him to leave the premises. I think the only knowledge bought here was on the reps side!
    Well said;)

Dumpline is a must, and acr's should get serious consideration as well. If ur going to be spending a lot of the rest of ur working life there, u shouldn't feel guilty about having a few comforts
    Definitely agree with you. I think you must have D LINE installed to FULLY appreciate there convience. Yes I know there are other solutions but listening to other guys that were considering changeing, who milked in my palour agree with was the real MCOY if funds allowed but sometimes it doesnt and I fully understand a persons finiancial position in reaching this decision.
    Life is too short. When you spend most of your life milking you should try to make it as easy as possible and spend a little more time with your kids and family . Our advisory people advocating cheap and cheerful finish on Friday even and dont worry about milking cows for w/end until Monday morn.
    Any way let the other fellow pay for some of it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

5 ways of dumping milk in a direct to line parlour.

1. leave the cow till last and pull the pipe from the tank to a barrel. if you have drafting and large numbers staying out of the tank it works well

2. use a dump bucket either with the normal cluster and start pulling pipes or a seprate cluster with a pulsator.

3. a dump line worked with a seperate cluster and pulsator that plugs into the dump line getting vacuum to work the pulsator at the same time. there would also be a facility at the back or front of the pit to put these clusters on a jetter for washing.

4. a y piece with one pipe going to tank and one pipe going to the dumpline and a pinch clip to allow milk flow eaither way. works well but often people forget to pinch the dump one meaning good milk goes to the dump line until it is copped.

5. an electric solenoid doing the same as 4 above - most manufacturers dont install this system as solenoids can stick and there is no real way of knowing if it is working.

i think the most sure way but least convenient is number 1 and the least sure way but most convenient is number 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I couldn't agree with you on the dumpline.... I would much rather have my bucket and know for certain that the milk is def not gone into the tank....! But every other gadget I'd have no bother...
    Its very relaxing to see the milk out of the machine rather than worrying about where its gone. I also use buckets and just hang them on the unit till washing clusters but thats easier when you're using jars.

On dairymaster, I not going to say too much... As I live close to them... But I know of lads that changed over the pulsation from 4x0 to 2x2 and there scc didn't improve one bit! When you think about it what farmer is going to blame himself or his cows for high scc... None! The easy option is blame the parlour... When I was in Meath.... Dairymaster was king... Nobody complained bout scc up there!

As you say, no farmer blames himself, its nearly always someone elses fault. But a farmer not far from you put in 4x0 in his new parlour and the scc went from 200 to 500. Many reasons for that including stress of a new parlour on the cows, different routine etc but after 3 months, when he went back to 2x2, the scc went back to 200s. Like you say it could just be coincidence but thats what happened.

But i have to say that Ned Harty is an absolute gentleman and held in very high regard in Kerry... One story sums him up... During Xmas a few yrs ago a farmer's calf feeder broke down.. He made a call to dairymaster.. Went to answering machine.. St. Stephen's Day a man arrived and fixed feeder.. The man would take no money for going to the trouble of calling out.... Later in the yr at a show.. The farmer went to dairymaster stand and was talking to a sales rep.. The man who fixed his feeder was also there... The farmer asked the rep who was the guy that fixed. His feeder on stephens day that he was a fierce nice man... The sales rep looked at the farmer as if he had 2 heads... Ned Harty himself came out to fix the feeder...
    Nobody said anything about the family, we were debating reported problems with their products. I am bounding 2 of them and they are, without doubt, pure gentlemen. That story about Ned rings true, he is a man that likes to see the job done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

lads just wondering any one using a pearson machine ???

John_F wrote: »

1. leave the cow till last and pull the pipe from the tank to a barrel. if you have drafting and large numbers staying out of the tank it works well

2. use a dump bucket either with the normal cluster and start pulling pipes or a seprate cluster with a pulsator.

3. a dump line worked with a seperate cluster and pulsator that plugs into the dump line getting vacuum to work the pulsator at the same time. there would also be a facility at the back or front of the pit to put these clusters on a jetter for washing.

4. a y piece with one pipe going to tank and one pipe going to the dumpline and a pinch clip to allow milk flow eaither way. works well but often people forget to pinch the dump one meaning good milk goes to the dump line until it is copped.

5. an electric solenoid doing the same as 4 above - most manufacturers dont install this system as solenoids can stick and there is no real way of knowing if it is working.

i think the most sure way but least convenient is number 1 and the least sure way but most convenient is number 5.
    IMO they all do there job in the above mentioned list . However how comfortable the operator is when withdrawn milk from a cow. Btween my neighbour and myself there is combined over 16 years working no. 5 option and in all that time they never failed us.
    There are indcitors to inform you where the milk is flowing to,
    1. a red light shows.
    2.look at the milk chamber to check that its flowing into the correct one.
    3. You will also hear the solenoid click over.
    4.you will see it filling the dump jar.
    The above system has never failed us so I think its reasonable to say that it is successful.
    If one is financial constraint or comfortable with a manual system is going to work so along as MILKER DOESNT FORGET. That applies to all options:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

For efficiency and safety a dump line is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

milkprofit wrote: »
    For efficiency and safety a dump line is a must

which type?? if you go to the uk there are very few places with dump lines. most are using the dump bucket. alot bigger herds but they take time to milk their cows and are in no rush out of the parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I've option 3,best method I think as it is 100% seperate from main line.fierce handy in spring for 6 weeks when loads of fresh calvers in parlour.i will admit its a bit of a luxury though as it's sitting there for rest of year.i recycled the milk line and pump from old parlour so cost was small.good drafting would be a better spend IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I've option 3,best method I think as it is 100% seperate from main line.fierce handy in spring for 6 weeks when loads of fresh calvers in parlour.i will admit its a bit of a luxury though as it's sitting there for rest of year.i recycled the milk line and pump from old parlour so cost was small.good drafting would be a better spend IMO

That's what we were going to do but we were offered a complete job everything new and it wasn't much in the price difference. There kind of wanting it to be a parlour to show lads in this area as there's very few fullwood around Wexford even though every farm you go to in Wicklow has one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OK frazzled will hit the roof with me for asking this question, but anyways, putting in a 14unit parlour, 10k for acrs and milk meters. Should I bother? If I had a compact spring herd I defo wouldn't, but I got a mix of 40l HOs, jess and stale cows in the parlour at once so fair mix in milking volume and speeds in the parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Timmaay wrote: »
    OK frazzled will hit the roof with me for asking this question, but anyways, putting in a 14unit parlour, 10k for acrs and milk meters. Should I bother? If I had a compact spring herd I defo wouldn't, but I got a mix of 40l HOs, jess and stale cows in the parlour at once so fair mix in milking volume and speeds in the parlour.

Thought u were going to tighten cv pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

Still depends on your finances I'm my opinion. The lack of them won't stop you milking cows. Milk recording will tell you what cows are giving. Cow condition score will tell you alot. The lack of acrs will not stop you milking cows. But if I recall correctly you said before you feed milk to calves between rows during milking. With new parlour will you still do this? Acrs might avoid problems if your leaving the pit

milkprofit wrote: »
    Thought u were going to tighten cv pattern

I defo am but it takes time.

You know my answer Tim!!.if u had a compact spring herd itc would be as important as u want cows to hit ground running.imo if u can finance it def acrs and seriously consider feed to yield wit the variation in your herd.u will save money in feed costs,gain it back with extra volume ,better solids and fertility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If you can afford it then put em in I reckon, when you are on your own round calving acrs will help and the metres will allow you to assess how cows are going during winter or whenever to allow you to feed less or dry off cows if dropping in yield or feed more if they are capable of driving on without working off recordings which may be a month out of date

I think keep your 10k for now Tim. You need to do drainage you say and roadways and reseeding? 10k will do a lot of reseeding or draining. I agree with acrs and metres but I think you should do with out for a few yr.
    14 units isn't massive and if your sticking with the HO/FR they won't milk out quick line the jex

I think keep your 10k for now Tim. You need to do drainage you say and roadways and reseeding? 10k will do a lot of reseeding or draining. I agree with acrs and metres but I think you should do with out for a few yr.
    14 units isn't massive and if your sticking with the HO/FR they won't milk out quick line the jex

IMO they milk out very quick as they have so much milk,there is the exception though

mahoney_j wrote: »
    IMO they milk out very quick as they have so much milk,there is the exception though

Fair enough but getting cows in quicker will save time
    Getting them out 5 days earlier and 5 days longer in a yr will save money
    Better grass will save on amount of meal needed.
    End of the day its up to yourself. 10k isn't the end of the world any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Deffo, if milk prices come down in line with meal prices, feed to yield is going to become a big player. Stan's figures showed this when he said he was back 15k on the milk cheque, when flat feeding. When he's feeding to yield he is getting a extra 11litres per cow on 0.4kgs/litre. Assuming all other variables are consistent (condition, fertility, etc) feed to yield is giving him an extra 11 litres for 4.4kgs of meal per cow. I probably has the figures are€wise, but I think they're the rough figures. (Sorry Stan if I'm quoting you incorrectly)
    When "the buttons and lights" you're getting consistent milking, who ever is there. Stable SCC, a massive bank of records of each cow as individuals. 10k is peanuts for the saving you will make. And it's harder go back in a few years time to add on extras as you're not in a good bargaining position. ( have the T-shirt)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

If u can afford it then ACR's should def go in. Ur going to be in the parlour a couple of hrs a day for the rest if ur life, don't feel guilty about giving urself a few rewards. Also, it's great to get any relief milkers in and know the cows will be milked the same as when ur there. I've never met a man who regretted putting in ACR's, or never met a man who took them out!

That's what we were going to do but we were offered a complete job everything new and it wasn't much in the price difference. There kind of wanting it to be a parlour to show lads in this area as there's very few fullwood around Wexford even though every farm you go to in Wicklow has one
    I have a 14 unit without acrs and you can milk without them.

The problem is at the end of lactation when cows are milked quickly when the first cows are milked before you are finished putting on clusters at the end of the line.

After 12 years i am finally getting them in this year so it should ease the end of lactation pressure.

That price is very keen for acrs alone, not to mention acrs with meters. If its not stretching you too much in repayments then i would put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

5live wrote: »
    I have a 14 unit without acrs and you can milk without them.

The problem is at the end of lactation when cows are milked quickly when the first cows are milked before you are finished putting on clusters at the end of the line.

After 12 years i am finally getting them in this year so it should ease the end of lactation pressure.

That price is very keen for acrs alone, not to mention acrs with meters. If its not stretching you too much in repayments then i would put them in.

Are you putting in a flush also or just acrs on their own? I was talking to a guy over this side a few weeks back who dose parlours etc and he was saying around €600 a unit for acrs with no flush, no money for them at the moment so wasn't that interested in what he was saying but wondering if that is about the price of them? Would probably put flush in if ever doing them for day when 200 will be the standard for SCC.

KCTK wrote: »
    Are you putting in a flush also or just acrs on their own? I was talking to a guy over this side a few weeks back who dose parlours etc and he was saying around €600 a unit for acrs with no flush, no money for them at the moment so wasn't that interested in what he was saying but wondering if that is about the price of them? Would probably put flush in if ever doing them for day when 200 will be the standard for SCC.
    Think its 800e for removers and swings on fullwood.
    Lads in group reckon flush is only masking an SCC problem and that you should need it if you have a good SCC.
    In England they say if you have 40 cases of mastitis per 100 cows your doing well. That's why they need the flush.
    We stopped dipping thus yr here and hope I won't haplve to go back.
    SCC 70 at the min and hasn't been over 100 all yr

Think its 800e for removers and swings on fullwood.
    Lads in group reckon flush is only masking an SCC problem and that you should need it if you have a good SCC.
    In England they say if you have 40 cases of mastitis per 100 cows your doing well. That's why they need the flush.
    We stopped dipping thus yr here and hope I won't haplve to go back.
    SCC 70 at the min and hasn't been over 100 all yr

40 per 100, god they'd be cows out of the tank every day of the year!!

Were you talking to a lad based in Limerick about the acrs, by any chance?;) If its the same company, the price is very good atm thanks to the exchange rate but if something were to go wrong would the backup for them be ok? If he is nearby then you will be ok probably.

No flush going in atm anyways but i will stick with Delaval. I am getting the new type acrs with the pull to switch on the units. I was looking at getting ones from the UK second hand but they were the older type so i bit the bullet and went with the new.

5live wrote: »
    Were you talking to a lad based in Limerick about the acrs, by any chance?;) If its the same company, the price is very good atm thanks to the exchange rate but if something were to go wrong would the backup for them be ok? If he is nearby then you will be ok probably.

No flush going in atm anyways but i will stick with Delaval. I am getting the new type acrs with the pull to switch on the units. I was looking at getting ones from the UK second hand but they were the older type so i bit the bullet and went with the new.

Actually fellow based in Ballylongford, has a big blue van, does parlours scrapers, cubicles, barriers etc, sometimes very easy deal with sometimes not!! God you won't know yourself this autumn with them in, you'll have to take the newspaper in to the pit with youB-)

Ok thanks everyone, decent bit of food for thought here, I'll admit to being of the option that I didn't really need any of the gadgets but I guess I'm lucky to be in a different situation to the likes of GG or Frazz in terms of borrowings, and with the aim for 120+ HO cows in the future from largely a 1 man show I really need to take advantage of everything like this that helps. My one issue is the grant only covers me for a parlour up to 42k, I shouldn't have put in the min costings for everything when I applied for the grant.

• Advertisement

Actually fellow based in Ballylongford, has a big blue van, does parlours scrapers, cubicles, barriers etc, sometimes very easy deal with sometimes not!! God you won't know yourself this autumn with them in, you'll have to take the newspaper in to the pit with youB-)
    Just in case i get bored i'm thinking of adding in 2 more units:D

Advertisement