Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alco16

Mines still coming in at 3500 and feeders are all ready to go for feed to held if I ever want to set it up
    cheers will deffo look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

alco16 wrote: »
    you are happy enough with the parlour though?

yes would put in another one, but would put in another brand either once the back up was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

cheers will deffo look them up

Might be a bit dearer. Uncle is fullwood fitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alco16

loveta wrote: »
    yes would put in another one, but would put in another brand either once the back up was there
    far as i know de laval and dairymaster closest hence origional post will price couple more though no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

dairy master, delaval, fullwood, gea ect ect they all work on the same principle and i can guarantee ya there is top notch herds being milked in each of them with no problems went from a old "alfa la valve" with 2x2 pulse to a dairy master 4x0 pulse and honestly could see no difference, the big thing and its being said before is back up and there will come a time when you need it so better the local well stocked guy who will be there for ya.
    +1 here . well said. Its all down to personal choice and service backup and that means 24/7/365:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

first thing is service.. but not a local man that will take ya for a ride. id rather have an honest dependable lad that knows his stuff 15 miles away than a man across the road and has a poor rep.

as for makes... 1.gea westfalia, 2. fullwood or delaval, 3. boumatic / gascoigne,

yes dairymaster have a large market share... in ireland... hell of a lot more cows going thru the top 3 manufacturers compared to them. huge irish success story to be fair but i cannot see the quality.

also the only other make doing 4*0 pulsation is gascoigne, and they push 2*2 more and really only say stay 4*0 if you have it already. if it was as good as dairymaster say then all the other manufacturers would be using it... doubt very much there is a patent on it :rolleyes: serious amount of research after being done by delaval, westfalia and boumatic into how cows milk etc. google 'delaval hamra farm'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

John_F wrote: »
    first thing is service.. but not a local man that will take ya for a ride. id rather have an honest dependable lad that knows his stuff 15 miles away than a man across the road and has a poor rep.

as for makes... 1.gea westfalia, 2. fullwood or delaval, 3. boumatic / gascoigne,

yes dairymaster have a large market share... in ireland... hell of a lot more cows going thru the top 3 manufacturers compared to them. huge irish success story to be fair but i cannot see the quality.

Fully agree with that john,I put 6 months of research into what parlour type I wanted service,build quality technology etc and would of came to same conclusion as that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mine is a brand new bulid price also includes feeders

What sort of feeders? Likes of cashmans workout about 900euro per point, so your figure without the feeders would be 3100/unit which isnt too bad. Is the vacuum pump and milk line spec'ed for a 20unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Fully agree with that john,I put 6 months of research into what parlour type I wanted service,build quality technology etc and would of came to same conclusion as that

Where was the source of your research mahoney, is there much independant stuff out there or were you filtering out the sales talk as you went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 turbo anglia

Why not consider a robot ?..it seems to have a lot going for it.

Milked out wrote: »
    Where was the source of your research mahoney, is there much independant stuff out there or were you filtering out the sales talk as you went?

On line searches of all the manufacturers ,go milk in different parlours and see how they work,what cow flow is like ,is technology easy to use etc.you really can't beat going and actually milking in parlours,not much point in seeing it empty .talk to guys that own them and find out what they like/dislike and if they would do anything different .last point of call is the salesman as some of them can be pushy as deck with there flashy catalogues and sales pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Why not consider a robot ?..it seems to have a lot going for it.

It has been done a bit already here, it's an option however the flexibility it may offer in milking times or carrying out tasks associated with it is less than the flexibility a standard parlour would offer when it comes to growing the business or expanding numbers, also for similar money you could put in a 20 unit with similar bells and whistles

that all? we done nearly 2 years lol :D have to sive through the sales bull and talk to farmers who have the equipment

that all? we done nearly 2 years lol :D have to sive through the sales bull and talk to farmers who have the equipment

Don't know if I would spend 2 yrs at it.
    We knew what we wanted and are happy with the fullwood build and its price

I had a bit of good insider info on Gea gear,my brother emigrated to Australia 5 years ago to work for them and still those.his help was invaluable good freind of mine is also the local full wood guy around here and was most helpfull also dairymaster guy down the road ,bed called to me once,asked what I wanted and wrote me a quote on an envelope ,no follow up till he heard I had deal with Gea more or less done,even knocked several k off price,this really irritated me.miljed I. A few dairymaster parlours anyway and didn't like them

I thought I knew what I wanted at start too and for a finish I ended up with something a long way off what I intended on getting.it was well worth the time though and end product is something both I and cows are very happy with .

dont want to start this into a dairymaster bashing thread but it came to my mind there.

this is a pic of a dairymaster claw.. look at the shells that hold the liners.... its a piece of stainless pipe with a blue plastic insert for the short pulse tube and the liner

ClusterCleanse.jpg

cost cutting??
    ok fullwood and GEA had something similar for a while with a clear insert to see if the liner was cracked but went away from it, the shell still had a nipple for the short pulse tube.

compare it to the shell GEA use with two back shells heavier than the front as cows have more milk in back quarters.

I thought I knew what I wanted at start too and for a finish I ended up with something a long way off what I intended on getting.it was well worth the time though and end product is something both I and cows are very happy with .

Ah ye but you were at a different time to me. You had all your other work like reseeding and slurry and accommodation all sorted I'm no were near that.
    We've been talking here last few weeks and now were just thinking of bumping up parlour to 8 or ten units and put in feeders and when the time comes put in 20 units with all the extras

heard grant was coming so that delayed it a good bit... i think it was brendan smith that first announced grants in 2011 that are now the TAMS scheme

• Advertisement

heard grant was coming so that delayed it a good bit... i think it was brendan smith that first announced grants in 2011 that are now the TAMS scheme

They sent our one back wanting us to give them prices again. Don't know why

Ah ye but you were at a different time to me. You had all your other work like reseeding and slurry and accommodation all sorted I'm no were near that.
    We've been talking here last few weeks and now were just thinking of bumping up parlour to 8 or ten units and put in feeders and when the time comes put in 20 units with all the extras

Fair point but reseeding isxstill done every year and I have a parlour loan now as well as parents to look after..why put in 20 with all bells and whistles ??.14/16 would milk 150 cows no bother

Fair point but reseeding isxstill done every year and I have a parlour loan now as well as parents to look after..why put in 20 with all bells and whistles ??.14/16 would milk 150 cows no bother

A lot of leased ground around me and lot of older farmers with no family and no relations interested so might as well.
    Any way not set in dmstone but I'd milk 140 cows in 40 min with a 20 unit I'd say.
    Its built for 12 so all I have to do is take precast tank out at back to go to 14/16/20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

A lot of leased ground around me and lot of older farmers with no family and no relations interested so might as well.
    Any way not set in dmstone but I'd milk 140 cows in 40 min with a 20 unit I'd say.
    Its built for 12 so all I have to do is take precast tank out at back to go to 14/16/20

There is a lot of chicken counting before hatching there..... it might not be as easy as you think to get a neighbors land, not to mention a few of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I hope your neighbour isn't on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Best of luck greengrass to your future plans but remember the old saying "loose lips sinks ships"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

if your slurry and accommodation are not right are the council not on your back the whole time?

whelan2 wrote: »
    if your slurry and accommodation are not right are the council not on your back the whole time?

Eeeeehh. Not really tbh

Best of luck greengrass to your future plans but remember the old saying "loose lips sinks ships"

Well never say I'll get any more land but there's not point in spending money and then ye find out its too small.
    Don't want any more for a good fewcyrs yet any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Eeeeehh. Not really tbh
    you're lucky you dont live up here, spot check inspections all the time...

Advertisement