Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont men admit they like muscle on women?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

we say shes fit, shes a fox, she has great legs, but we never go as far as to say her muscles turn me on?

I like biceps on a girl, big powerful calves and solid quadriceps
    that being said I don't go for the roid enhanced bodybuilders or those hooked on diuretics etc

I also find people who talk about exercise and diets the most boring people on earth...do it ok but lets talk about something else

don't get me wrong I love womens hips and breasts and round juicy asses, but a bit of muscle goes a long way too.

this area and the sport of bodybuilding too remains something of a taboo/cult in the mainstream? why don't we loosen up and say what we like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I don't find muscular women attractive (and I'm guessing most men are the same). That's why we don't "admit" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well thanks for deciding what I, as a male, like.

Jesus, only for ya!!

Have you any other nuggets of wisdom that I don't yet know about myself?

Seriously though, different people find different things attractive, that, is, life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Not my thing, muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Not a fan myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Q: Why don't men admit they like muscle on women?
    A: Because, in general, they don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Are we talking toned or that juiced up shrink wrapped skin look that certain body builders go for? Because if it's the latter I think it just looks weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

Galvasean wrote: »
    Are we talking toned or that juiced up shrink wrapped skin look that certain body builders go for? Because if it's the latter I think it just looks weird.
    as I mentioned this is the in between state of fit strong woman with natural muscle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭OldRio

Most men I know find 'muscle on a woman' awful and with these men I am in agreement.

OldRio wrote: »
    Most men I know find 'muscle on a woman' awful and with these men I am in agreement.
    so you like calves with no muscle? thighs with no muscle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Thigh muscles. mmmmm. The taut flesh. mmmmm. The smooth tenderness of an inner thigh, giggity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Not bothered to be honest. If a girl works out and has toned arms....that's cool! If not...that's cool.

But strength in a female does tend to push my buttons.

For example, my girl plays roller derby and she's got awesome lower body strength...once she locks on...no way am I getting outta there :D

Are most men supposed to feel intimidated by a strong female because of the 'dominant caveman' way of thinking where the man is the hunter/fighter and the girl is the wispy little delicate one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭OldRio

stpaddy99 wrote: »

I will repeat what I have written 'Most men I know find 'muscle on a woman' awful and with these men I am in agreement.'
    There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fish Finger Pie

Is it true that body building women can crack walnuts with their minges?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

we never go as far as to say her muscles turn me on?

I'd guess that this is a minority interest.

Also, unless you are talking about large muscles, which are rare in women, perhaps you mean lean, muscular women with very low body fat percentages.

Link
    Women require a far higher amount of essential body fat than men:
    Essential body fat is approximately 3% of body mass for men and 12% of body mass for women.

It could be that a woman whose body fat percentage is very low may appear unhealthy, and therefore, unattractive.

Also, if you actually meant large muscles (as opposed to very lean, muscular women), the shot-putter look is extremely unattractive. https://www.google.ie/search?q=female+shot+putter&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9WJJU_nhGMmI7Aawo4DYCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=646

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's not really what he's saying.

There's the drainpipe look, which is where the legs (and the arms) are practically the same length all the way along, with zero muscle. Most men find this gross.

Then there's the bodybuilder look, where the woman has a great muscle tone and low body fat, showing off the actual muscles. Most men don't find this attractive. Women's magazines have started going on about the washboard stomach on women. Most men do not find a washboard stomach at all attractive on a woman.

Then there's the normal look, where the woman has decent muscle tone and normal amounts of body fat. It means that she has a shapely appearance, but nicely smoothed over. The majority of women fall into this bracket (it's a very wide bracket) and the majority of men find this attractive.

Ultimately it all comes down to shape and proportion. If you deviate massively from the biologically "normal" body shape and proportions either by eating nothing or exercising too much (or eating too much and not exercising), then you will not be attractive to the majority of people. The same goes for men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I don't mind a women who squats :D

Though if they can lift more than me, that's a big turn off...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

When you say guys don't like women with muscle they're thinking of girls who use steroids

However I've heard a lot of guys say they think Jody Marsh looks great since she started lifting.

1354735134906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Weight training can actually make a woman a lot more feminine. Women who look masculine are either taking drugs or just taking things to the extreme in general. There is a big misconception about weight training, and it puts women off doing something that is potentially very beneficial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Depends on how much muscle we're talking about really.

Female fitness model? No problems here. :D

Female bodybuilder? Not my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A body like Caroline Morahan has is what I find attractive, I don't think she could be described as muscular could she?

As for the female bodybuilders, no way is that attractive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Female tennis players for me.

When they are static there isn't obvious muscle definition in the legs but as they move and shift you can see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I don't find it attractive at all. My girlfriend's been working out for the past year. I'm not too gone on her toned biceps and abs. But hey, she's healthy and she feels great. That's the main thing.

Morf wrote: »
    Female tennis players for me.

When they are static there isn't obvious muscle definition in the legs but as they move and shift you can see them.

Tennis must be bloody great for your physique. The women are sexy as hell, obviously, but the lads are in great shape as well. Don't laugh. I mean it. They don't look like athletes. They just look like hardy bastards.

Tsonga1.jpg

Like a boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

I am a big fan of female bodybuilders. Just my taste, but defo a minority taste i think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not "bodybuilders" no, but I personally find muscle tone, the lower end of bodyfat on a lady nice*. The dancer/fitness physique. Two of my exes had the hint of a "four pack" as it were and it got me going anyway. It can go either way though. One of them I hadn't seen in a while and she'd obviously gotten even more into the extreme fitness thing and it kinda went too far, for me anyway. Cool if she was happy with herself, but the body of a 14 year old boy vibe was going on. Like male bodybuilders who get obsessive it can go "some is good, more must be better". Maybe it is to similarly minded folks as themselves, but not so much with the general population I'd reckon.

*Maybe some are more naturally attracted to a similar build to themselves? The egotistical types that prefer to shag themselves if they could. :D I'd be leaner than the average bear so prefer that in the ladies. It might be down to choice too. I've found over the years that generally "average", or bigger ladies don't find me bodily attractive because I'm scrawnier than average and I've had much more success with skinny malinks, so that could be part of it too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not "bodybuilders" no, but I personally find muscle tone, the lower end of bodyfat on a lady nice*. The dancer/fitness physique. Two of my exes had the hint of a "four pack" as it were and it got me going anyway. It can go either way though. One of them I hadn't seen in a while and she'd obviously gotten even more into the extreme fitness thing and it kinda went too far, for me anyway. Cool if she was happy with herself, but the body of a 14 year old boy vibe was going on. Like male bodybuilders who get obsessive it can go "some is good, more must be better". Maybe it is to similarly minded folks as themselves, but not so much with the general population I'd reckon.

*Maybe some are more naturally attracted to a similar build to themselves? The egotistical types that prefer to shag themselves if they could. :D I'd be leaner than the average bear so prefer that in the ladies. It might be down to choice too. I've found over the years that generally "average", or bigger ladies don't find me bodily attractive because I'm scrawnier than average and I've had much more success with skinny malinks, so that could be part of it too.

finally some sincere responses , have a thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

I work out a lot and think that maybe it would have something to do with attraction to similar build, but also lifestyle comes into play I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

finally some sincere responses , have a thanks

I'm not sure how your logic works there that someone who agrees with you to a point is the "sincere" minority.

Lads like extremely thin ladies, petite, tall, "curvy" to use an awful phrase and there are even those with an attraction to women with quite a large BMI.

There is no set attraction for men although certain traits tend to be more appealing through evolutionary psychology or current trends as has been discussed.

If you like ladies with greater muscle definition then knock yourself out. Expecting others to validate your choice en masse isn't too likely to happen. Accept your preferences and don't give a thought for others' opinions or remarks when it comes to it.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    I'm not sure how your logic works there that someone who agrees with you to a point is the "sincere" minority.

Lads like extremely thin ladies, petite, tall, "curvy" to use an awful phrase and there are even those with an attraction to women with quite a large BMI.

There is no set attraction for men although certain traits tend to be more appealing through evolutionary psychology or current trends as has been discussed.

If you like ladies with greater muscle definition then knock yourself out. Expecting others to validate your choice en masse isn't too likely to happen. Accept your preferences and don't give a thought for others' opinions or remarks when it comes to it.

I stand by what I said 100%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement