Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Large Irish speaking population?

Considering theres a Gaeltacht in Waterford you'd expect they'd show us once in a blue moon on TG4 tho.

Great showing from our backs, forwards sat far too deep though and we hit alot of aimless ball forward that a better team would have made us pay for. Mahony went a bit cold after takin a sore looking hit too but a win is a win is a win, roll on Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

IanVW wrote: »
    Arent we ok now though that weve beaten galway and dublin on head to head rule?

Tipp are there too remember. Could have a situation where it comes to a head to head between us and them

Likewise could easily be a situation where more than 2 finish on 4 points and comes to points difference.

Best thing to do is just win the next 2 games of course, easy game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Great result considering we were down to 14 men,harsh red for the brick from what I thought I saw he flicked back the hurl no malice he was just breaking the tackle and was a silly red from the referee and afterwards I asked the camera man at back of stand his view on it an he thought it was very soft but he'll be gone for 4 weeks now but I'm confident we have suitable cover by pullin moran back and sully into midfield with jake back in forward line now whether McNulty gets another run or maybe Eddie Barret in midfield remains to be seen or Ray Barry may fill in there plenty options available. We had Some standout performers namely Seamus Prendergast who ran himself into the ground with tremendous work rate he was at large the main threat in the full forward line.Paudie Mahony was again solid from frees an play, all six backs worked tirelessly we were really well organised in defence( this season) something I haven't seen in long time Shane Fives was solid again my man of the match would go to Tadgh de Bourke he was unreal in the whole game, he's calm on the ball and patient in the tackle really impressive again, so onwards we march good team display by everyone management emptied the bench an it had no negative effects. Now realistically if I was a Dublin fan I'd be gutted to see my team playing game of possesion in their own half an not in opposition half with a spare man over 45+ mins of hurling and to score 1-1 in 2nd half was shockin but thats not our problem, now were more less guaranteed division 1 next year on the head to head with Galway & Dublin anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

I was really happy with the result. Playing with 14 men for that amount of time against a senior intercounty team is no mean feat. However, I wouldnt really rate Dublin that highly. They are really hit and miss like Galway and today they were certainly miss. Really looking forward to next week against Clare though. The amount of scores we are limiting the opposition to is very encouraging. I think after that game we will have a better idea of where we are at. Also its great to see the unity in the camp. Everyone knows they have a chance of playing if they put it in at training, a lot of credit goes to Derek McGrath for being bold enough to operate this policy. Weve all been on club teams where certain players just walk onto teams even if they dont bother there arse at training! I also thought Derek spoke well after the game from what i heard on the news, it was all about the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Couldn't go to the game but delighted to hear they held on with 14 men, character being shown at an early stage in the year. Pity we didn't beat Tipp, if we did would have to say we'd be looking very good indeed. All the same though happy with how they are progressing.

Brick will be a big loss unfortunately. Also, interesting development now in that Jake Dillon is the Captain for the short-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Couldn't go to the game but delighted to hear they held on with 14 men, character being shown at an early stage in the year. Pity we didn't beat Tipp, if we did would have to say we'd be looking very good indeed. All the same though happy with how they are progressing.

Brick will be a big loss unfortunately. Also, interesting development now in that Jake Dillon is the Captain for the short-term.

Didn't think about the captaincy at all until you mentioned it. There could yet be an appeal though, was a harsh enoufh sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Madness Brick will be gone for a month. It happened in front of me and in no way did I think it was a free. The Dublin player ran into the swing of the hurley from behind the Brick, there was no dirty play. The person who decided he should be sent off was an umpire who was standing 70 yards away. The only reason the ref ran the length of the field to consult the umpires was because a player was down and the linesman didn't see anything. Then this same umpire put up a white flag for a Dublin wide in the second half that was about 3 feet away from the pole. After uproar from the stand and a clear view from the ref the umpire had to cop himself on and wave it wide. Very fusterating to see a sporting game been ruined by an official that uses his influence to make wrong decisions in a game. Moran will have to be brought back and other changes made but before the game starts next week we are already going to be weakened.

On a more positive note it is good to see the team fighting for every ball and limiting opposition teams on the scoreboard. With Clare and KK away from home it is still all to play for but encouraging signs none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

alllcounty wrote: »
    Madness Brick will be gone for a month. It happened in front of me and in no way did I think it was a free. The Dublin player ran into the swing of the hurley from behind the Brick, there was no dirty play. The person who decided he should be sent off was an umpire who was standing 70 yards away. The only reason the ref ran the length of the field to consult the umpires was because a player was down and the linesman didn't see anything. Then this same umpire put up a white flag for a Dublin wide in the second half that was about 3 feet away from the pole. After uproar from the stand and a clear view from the ref the umpire had to cop himself on and wave it wide. Very fusterating to see a sporting game been ruined by an official that uses his influence to make wrong decisions in a game. Moran will have to be brought back and other changes made but before the game starts next week we are already going to be weakened.

On a more positive note it is good to see the team fighting for every ball and limiting opposition teams on the scoreboard. With Clare and KK away from home it is still all to play for but encouraging signs none the less.

It was different umpires involved in the incident with the point/wide as the umpire who got Brick sent off they never switched ends at half time but your right I was in front of it meself it looked harmless, and the county board are appealing the sending off so we might be ok yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Right.....first off I ate a bit of my hat today after what I said about Ray Barry not being able for wing forward at senior inter county, thought he was very good today, tired near the end which is understandable.
    SOK was very good under the high ball today, Tadhg Bourke was unbelievable today what a performance!! It's unfair to single out Tadhg ahead of the other 5 backs but he really was top class but I can't get over how well the other 5 played today also, (Connors block on Keaney towards the end of the match wow) Moran and Nagle cleared some ball in the 2nd half
    Paudie Mahony was terrific in the first half, he's really on form this year, he got a bit of an injury in the 2nd half that seemed to disrupt his play but his first half display won the game for Waterford. Seamus Pender was very good today he gave Kelly a tough time while it was 15v15 got a nice couple of scores.

Lads I could not get over what I saw at half time....we had the 25 lads or so on the bench today....the injured lads walking across the pitch, Richie Foley, Shane Walsh, Liam Lawlor, Steven Daniels, Aussie Gleeson, Stephen Bennett, Jake Dillon, Donie Breathnach, Jamie Barron, Brian O Halloran, Darragh Fives. I would hate to be picking the team in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Galway and Dublin keep on losing than we are through to the QF but have a feeling Galway will win one of there last 2 games.

Tipp, Dublin and Galway are on 2 points at the moment and Tipp play both Dublin and Galway next

Dublin could beat Kilkenny at home next week and that will throw a spanner in the works.

Would be amazed to see Waterford beat Clare or Kilkenny but you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ha, not even a mention of the game on League Sunday. Didnt even talk to Cyril Farrell about the score or anything. Pi$$ poor RTE, but standard now I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Great result well done to the lads, some really good individual performances in de Burca, Seamus, Noelie, Nagle, Paudric Mahony and Shane Fives.
    When we went down to 14 I was worried they'd come back but the lads held it together well. (Why is it you see so often when a team go down to 14 men they seem to galvanise and play better, whereas the team with 15 never seem to take advantage or make effective use of the extra man?)
    Would agree with a previous poster that said we aren't out of the woods yet. Yes it looks good now but we'd really be looking for even a draw in one of Clare or KK to be in with a shout of reaching the latter stages. Is it the top two or three go through or what?

Next week will be a huge test especially of our defensive capabilities as Clare put up big scores. Hard to believe that Dublin team beat them convincingly the last day, the league is great in terms of unpredictability.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Cake Man wrote: »
    Great result well done to the lads, some really good individual performances in de Burca, Seamus, Noelie, Nagle, Paudric Mahony and Shane Fives.
    When we went down to 14 I was worried they'd come back but the lads held it together well. (Why is it you see so often when a team go down to 14 men they seem to galvanise and play better, whereas the team with 15 never seem to take advantage or make effective use of the extra man?)
    Would agree with a previous poster that said we aren't out of the woods yet. Yes it looks good now but we'd really be looking for even a draw in one of Clare or KK to be in with a shout of reaching the latter stages. Is it the top two or three go through or what?

Next week will be a huge test especially of our defensive capabilities as Clare put up big scores. Hard to believe that Dublin team beat them convincingly the last day, the league is great in terms of unpredictability.

Top four in 1A go through and 2 from 1B i think

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cake Man wrote: »

The top 4 teams go through to the quarters . 5th vs 6th place team play in a relagation playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Tadhg Bourke worth a shout replacing Brick in the centre "if" he is banned? Or is it best to keep him in the corner for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ah that's not bad so, cheers. So we could effectively lose our last two games and still make the quarters? That would mean with Dublin, Tipp or Galway winning no more than one game in their last two. We'd have the head to head on Dub and Gal but obviously not on Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Tadhg Bourke worth a shout replacing Brick in the centre "if" he is banned? Or is it best to keep him in the corner for now?

Id like to see tadgh stay in the corner with moran dropping back.. Molomphy to midfield and jake dillon coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Ropaire wrote: »
    Considering theres a Gaeltacht in Waterford you'd expect they'd show us once in a blue moon on TG4 tho.

Great showing from our backs, forwards sat far too deep though and we hit alot of aimless ball forward that a better team would have made us pay for. Mahony went a bit cold after takin a sore looking hit too but a win is a win is a win, roll on Clare.

And with your man from ring presenting the show you would think that we'd get a bit more air time than we do. I suppose a lot of it is to do with setting up facilities for the camera's

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

IanVW wrote: »
    Id like to see tadgh stay in the corner with moran dropping back.. Molomphy to midfield and jake dillon coming in

Jake will be a big boost to the team!

I think Derek is doing a good job of the league this year, giving young lads there chance and maintaining a standard! Its exciting to go and see this young talent, and we've the makings of a talented panel of players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Jake will be a big boost to the team!

I think Derek is doing a good job of the league this year, giving young lads there chance and maintaining a standard! Its exciting to go and see this young talent, and we've the makings of a talented panel of players

Definetly. Were looking good and with all the lads yet to come back come championship I think were a force to be reckoned with. We won our 2 home league games which was what a lot of people said we needed to do now why not go up to ennis and really put it up to the banner. We got a win there last year when no one gave us a chance.

The one worry is if anything happened to paidie where are the scores going to come from. Would really like to see some other forwards step it up

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Considering theres a Gaeltacht in Waterford you'd expect they'd show us once in a blue moon on TG4 tho..

To be fair they nearly always have highlights of the waterford games on monday nights. Cant really ask for much more. There were 31 games on yesterday your never going to keep everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DeiseWhites

I bet it would have got a mention if the Dubs had won.

Was too far away to be definite about what happened with Brick (although closer than the umpire!) but the reaction of Daly & Co on the sideline played a big part in the refs decision IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

RTE only showing two hurling and football games each week and have the Waterford v Clare match on next Sun. Was so impressed with the Walsh park crowd today....a real 16th man when the dopey umpire flagged an obvious point wide and the public went ballistic which forced the ref to award the pint. The standing ovation for Shamie, who ran himself into the ground, was class. Taigh de Bourke is a real find. Roll on Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Good win for ye today... not really a surprise, I did think ye'd win today. But doing it with 14 men is impressive. I'd say ye'll need one more point to be sure of staying up, but the head-to-head thing will probably keep you safe. I actually can't see Galway winning again, and you know have the edge on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Jesus no, every newcomer in the backline the last few years usually learns their trade in the corner for the 1st season, would be crazy to throw him in centre back after 2 league games under his belt.

Darragh Fives, Steven Daniels, Shane Fives, Philip Mahony, Noel Connors all started off in the corner and were left there for their first season

gavwaldo wrote: »
    RTE only showing two hurling and football games each week and have the Waterford v Clare match on next Sun. Was so impressed with the Walsh park crowd today....a real 16th man when the dopey umpire flagged an obvious point wide and the public went ballistic which forced the ref to award the pint. The standing ovation for Shamie, who ran himself into the ground, was class. Taigh de Bourke is a real find. Roll on Clare.

Brilliant to see. No one deserves it more than shamie hes been running himself into the ground with the past 14 years. Good to see its the real fans that are heard at the games. Not like here people constantly slating him from behind a keyboard that just dont understand the game, and the concept of teamwork

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Does anyone know if Jake Dillon was injured today?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Does anyone know if Jake Dillon was injured today?

He was ill

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

gavwaldo wrote: »

Where did you see that the Clare game is on tv next week? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where did you see that the Clare game is on tv next week? :)

Mentioned it on league Sunday tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement