Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

hardybuck wrote: »
    I hate to go on the negative and disturb some of the recent good vibes towards the hurling team management, but I think that in the level of debt which the county board are in, any form of foreign training camps should be avoided.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=211710

If they feel the need to get away somewhere, that money should be spend in Ireland. Carton House for example.

Tom Cunningham then goes on to state that the turnout for the recent table quiz was very poor, and that they will need to cut back somewhere else as a result - but will still sanction a foreign training camp. Terrific financial management there Tom.

Players are mainly funding it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Players are mainly funding it themselves.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Source?

If you ask any of them they'll tell ya and lots of players putting up fundraising events on social media. Coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Source?

Players funding it themselves, even using GPA grants to offset the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    Players funding it themselves, even using GPA grants to offset the cost

Derek mcgrath approached co board about it. They told him they can fund some of it but would have to raise the rest themselves.
    You cant blame him for trying considering the money that was thrown at davy fitz and justin for these camps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

The players have to raise 500 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Will there be any bars in the city that will be showing the Kilkenny and Dublin game this Saturday at 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

Any idea who this is ? No idea what people look like under their helmets half the time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,169 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Clare beat us than

Waterford will want both Tipp and Kilkenny to win this weekend. That would mean that Dublin and Galway will both be on 2 points and will lose out on quarter final places.

if Galway or Dublin win than we could be in a spot of bother. Waterford, Galway and Dublin will both be on 4 points and Dublin face Tipp and Galway (with the portumna players back) face Clare in Round 5. Tipp could go ahead of us even if they lose to Galway and then beat Dublin.

A draw in the Dublin/Kilkenny or Galway/Tipperary match would also damage our chances of a QF spot. We could of course win one of the our next 2 games and we are through to the Quarters but its a big ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If Clare beat us than

Waterford will want both Tipp and Kilkenny to win this weekend. That would mean that Dublin and Galway will both be on 2 points and will lose out on quarter final places.

if Galway or Dublin win than we could be in a spot of bother. Waterford, Galway and Dublin will both be on 4 points and Dublin face Tipp and Galway (with the portumna players back) face Clare in Round 5. Tipp could go ahead of us even if they lose to Galway and then beat Dublin.

A draw in the Dublin/Kilkenny or Galway/Tipperary match would also damage our chances of a QF spot. We could of course win one of the our next 2 games and we are through to the Quarters but its a big ask

Do you ever make a positive post about our chances PTH? I'm all for being realistic and not getting carried away. But every post you make is pessimistic, negative and assumes the worst. Lighten up a bit dude and have a bit of optimisim, the team are performing well and deserve it

Any idea who this is ? No idea what people look like under their helmets half the time
    Will people ever stop taking pictures of me ffs...I just want to relax and listen to some music!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

deadybai wrote: »
    Will there be any bars in the city that will be showing the Kilkenny and Dublin game this Saturday at 7?

Phil Grimes down on John Street would be your best bet. Usually have a good showing for GAA games and have a lovely selection of beers. Phillies all the way I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Brick's appeal against his red card last Sunday has failed. Some farce! His one match ban still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

cul beag wrote: »
    Brick's appeal against his red card last Sunday has failed. Some farce! His one match ban still stands.

The only thing worse than making a mistake. Covering it up .

I suppose at least knowing we were HSA Ards done by refs will tend to try and balance it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

That is an absolute disgrace. How is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone know when the team is being named?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Anyone know when the team is being named?

Think they're training tonight so I would think after that maybe. Any idea on the injury latest as in are there any of the lads out at the moment anywhere near being back in contention?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

That is some bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Deskjockey wrote: »
    That is some bull****.

I can't wait to see the reason given, Oh wait they most likely won't bother explaining the decision

• Advertisement

SOK
    Bourke, Fives, Connors
    Nagle, Moran, Mahony
    Shane Sully, ?
    Dillon, Mahony, Molumphy
    Barry, Pender, Donnelly/Barron/O'Sullivan

Who gets the number 9 spot folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I'd like him to try Kieran Power at midfield as I think he would be well able for it but I'd say he might put Molumphy midfield and play Brian O Sullivan or Barron in the forwards.

alllcounty wrote: »
    I'd like him to try Kieran Power at midfield as I think he would be well able for it but I'd say he might put Molumphy midfield and play Brian O Sullivan or Barron in the forwards.
    I think Powers just with the u21s. I haven't seen him at any of the games so far

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

O didn't know that. Hope he is on the panel next year though. Then he could also put in Eddie Barett instead or bring one of the forwards out to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

First comments here but have enjoyed the contributions of all for a good few years.
    On the suspension of Brick, while it's a poor decision it does give us a great opportunity to look at Moran in his best position. With Shane Fives playing full back we do not necessarily need our cb to drop so deep as Brick has done for the last few years to cover Liam Lawlor (who rarely left us down). Given Morans greater range of striking and ability to take long range scores he maybe a better option in the immediate future with brick released to midfield or potentially as a primary possession hf.

This weekend I'd like to see Paudie P get a start at midfield with sos, hopefully jake will also be good to start in the ff line

Sok
    TdeB SF NC
    JN KM Philip
    SOS PP
    molumpy Paudie Ray Barry
    Jake Seamus ryan Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

First comments here but have enjoyed the contributions of all for a good few years.
    On the suspension of Brick, while it's a poor decision it does give us a great opportunity to look at Moran in his best position. With Shane Fives playing full back we do not necessarily need our cb to drop so deep as Brick has done for the last few years to cover Liam Lawlor (who rarely left us down). Given Morans greater range of striking and ability to take long range scores he maybe a better option in the immediate future with brick released to midfield or potentially as a primary possession hf.

This weekend I'd like to see Paudie P get a start at midfield with sos, hopefully jake will also be good to start in the ff line

Sok
    TdeB SF NC
    JN KM Philip
    SOS PP
    molumpy Paudie Ray Barry

That is actually a very intelligent point. Having a centre back moving onto the ball rather than retreating could well improve us from an attacking point of view. Having said that, with Brick holding the centre we are lock-tight in terms of conceding goals. Definitely raised some food for thought though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Joe Dooley previews the weekends actionfor RTE, even though its this weekend he's previewing he still manages to write off our chances for both remaining games :pac:. Gotta love this type of thing really, keep expectations down to the bare minimum and all the attention away from our lads

Lads....Brick doesn't have the legs for midfield. Ye surely know that by now? He's an awesome CB just leave him where he is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Sok
    TdeB SF NC
    JN KM Philip
    SOS PP
    molumpy Paudie Ray Barry

Brick has been tried by both Davy Fitz and Michael Ryan in the hf line and it didnt work out. Before that Justin McCarthy used him at full forward at times in 06. The FF move may be worth looking at but id rather they kept him at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

I agree that our defence has been excellent with brick anchoring it over the last 2/3 years but it still looked good when Moran moved to 6 last week. I think the quality of our backs is underestimated and the plaudits generally are reserved for our few established all stars. From what we've seen in the 3 league games the speed Shane fives brings to FB has made a huge difference to our basic approach and set up. For me the next obvious step is to speed up our delivery into the forwards. Nagle and Philip to a lesser degree are good accurate passers and can go long early, brick has less confidence in his striking and his preferred option is to hand pass or scoop pass to someone within 25 yards. This is great from the point of view of protecting possession but allows opposing defences an extra second or two to organise. In many ways I think it's the main reason we create so few goal chances. If you think of ken or Fergal h and their ability to win ball and immediately deliver into the inside forwards and compare it with our speed of delivery from 6 in the last few years... This is not to say that brick hasn't done really well for us at 6 it's just to suggest that his ball winning and physical presence plus accurate short passing might help us greater from 8 to 12.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement