Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Vizzy wrote: »
    Xenophile, I was one of the many people who enjoyed this area(the Wildies !!) for about 20years .I lived locally and I would say that I was out there 2 days out of every week as a youngster and even more frequently when I started training dogs in my 20's.
    A beautiful spot.
    However, what Snipey says above is completely true. I drove in to the lake/pond on Sunday with the intention of walking the dogs and was met with 2 guys on scramblers(one was about 10 years of age) and the amount of glass and general detritus that was in the area was appalling.
    You may not agree with Snipey or me, but that does not mean what we say is untrue.

If you feel that way about it, and I don't, I propose you start a campaign with your local politicians to "Take Back The Wilderness"

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Xenophile, I was one of the many people who enjoyed this area(the Wildies !!) for about 20years .I lived locally and I would say that I was out there 2 days out of every week as a youngster and even more frequently when I started training dogs in my 20's.
    A beautiful spot.
    However, what Snipey says above is completely true. I drove in to the lake/pond on Sunday with the intention of walking the dogs and was met with 2 guys on scramblers(one was about 10 years of age) and the amount of glass and general detritus that was in the area was appalling.
    You may not agree with Snipey or me, but that does not mean what we say is untrue.
    where is the pond. you go out fethard road turn right pass by shop/chipper...then

Do you pass through the housing estate?

WayneScott wrote: »
    where is the pond.

Coming from Tesco turn left at the next round about , this is the Carrigeen Roundabout ..................drive straight up for a few hundred meters and you will see it on your right almost opposite the new County Council Recycling Centre and offices.

Interesting to note that is a fresh water pond fed by springs, this fresh water stream is now underground and passes through Silversprings on it's way to the Suir. The older generation would have known and played and caught brickeens in it, it was known as "The Frenchman's Stream"

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

I have seen many people let their dogs run leadless in the fields around the sandy banks in Marlfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Xenophile wrote: »
    The older generation would have known and played and caught brickeens in it, it was known as "The Frenchman's Stream"

I resent this statement ! ( Even though it is correct. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Xeenophile are the cans and bottles thrown around the old platform and at the bottom of the giants rock not a dead give away, it's a haven for gammy shams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

If you feel that way about it, and I don't, I propose you start a campaign with your local politicians to "Take Back The Wilderness"

You are a great man for the campaigns Xenophile !
    Why would I want the politicians to claim it back, from reading your description of it there is nothing to fear in the early morning or up to lunchtime.
    Unfortunately though, the facts don't bear it out.
    Have you noticed that the wildlife has diminished significantly over the last few years, particularly around the pond ?
    Have you seen otters there recently ?Kingfishers ?
    The Great Crested Tit has all but disappeared in the area as well. It used to be full of them back a few years ago.

dahat,I won't condemn the place out of hand so my advice to you is to take a walk up there without the dog(s) and see what you think and you can make up your own mind from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

the badgers are gone too, because our friends with the horses are badger bating up in the wood behind powerstown, there are a few grey squirrels there.

You are a great man for the campaigns Xenophile !
    Why would I want the politicians to claim it back, from reading your description of it there is nothing to fear in the early morning or up to lunchtime.
    Unfortunately though, the facts don't bear it out.
    Have you noticed that the wildlife has diminished significantly over the last few years, particularly around the pond ?
    Have you seen otters there recently ?Kingfishers ?
    The Great Crested Tit has all but disappeared in the area as well. It used to be full of them back a few years ago.

dahat,I won't condemn the place out of hand so my advice to you is to take a walk up there without the dog(s) and see what you think and you can make up your own mind from there.
    so long as someone else starts them. Xenophile gives the impression of someone who likes to make some social or political changes but does not want to upset the powers that be. so he tries to get others to raise the issues and do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Venture up there, middle of the day the best time, lots of people go to feed ducks at the entrance. Nothing to fear in the middle of the day or early morning, it's a pity that so many people are so fearful of a perfectly safe and magical place that's an absolute paradise. By the way the Wilderness gets it's name from this very place.

Went up around there today with my daughter, bad judgment left us in runners rather than wellies but we went on as far as we could be fore it got too mucky.
    Didn't get too far in tbh but found a field which looks like it is being used for horses maybe, massive area and looks good for my dogs to wander about once there is no horses there.

The path went on a bit but it was messy so tomorrow i will wander there again with dogs and wellies...

There is quite abit of litter in parts,empty cans and the like but that wouldn't bother me too much it just looks bad.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

The path went on a bit but it was messy so tomorrow i will wander there again with dogs and wellies...

There is quite abit of litter in parts,empty cans and the like but that wouldn't bother me too much it just looks bad.

Good that this amenity area is now being highlighted, it has far too much potential to be ignored.

My guess is that the area is owned by CIE. But could be wrong about this.

We elect local politicians to take an interest in items such as this.

No doubt that drinking parties go on up there late at night when the weather is fine.

Good that this amenity area is now being highlighted, it has far too much potential to be ignored.

My guess is that the area is owned by CIE. But could be wrong about this.

We elect local politicians to take an interest in items such as this.

No doubt that drinking parties go on up there late at night when the weather is fine.
    why don't you take it up with a local politician then

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

I need some hot food catering for 100 people for a function in Clonmel - Supermacs are looking for €390 for goujons, cocktail sausages and wedges.

Any other suggestions for similar food for cheaper?

I need some hot food catering for 100 people for a function in Clonmel - Supermacs are looking for €390 for goujons, cocktail sausages and wedges.

Lyons do good party food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

If you are looking for that sort of general hot finger food, try Lyons in Queen Street. They will deliver as well. (I know they do parties as they put a brochure in my bag of take away yesterday). Not sure of price, you'd have to compare with what Supermacs were offering.

Edit: Maryanne, we obviously have the same taste in hot, yummy comfort food!

Any idea on price range Maryanne?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

Ms. Ellie's do party food as well, and Pork and Bacon in Irishtown are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foyle

Any idea on price range Maryanne?

I am not sure exactly the price of Lyons but some where in the 100 euro region, and their party food, like all their food is yummy !!! You wont go wrong.

There is a lady from Newcastle (Eileen Condon)who will do all sorts of hot and cold, if required,food.
    Sausages, goujons, black & white pud , sandwiches, buns & cakes.
    She will deliver as well.

Sorry but I don't have a number though but she should be easily found.

foyle wrote: »
    I am not sure exactly the price of Lyons but some where in the 100 euro region, and their party food, like all their food is yummy !!! You wont go wrong.

That's not bad if true, I'll give them a shout, thanks!

• Advertisement

There is a lady from Newcastle (Eileen Condon)who will do all sorts of hot and cold, if required,food.
    Sausages, goujons, black & white pud , sandwiches, buns & cakes.
    She will deliver as well.

Sorry but I don't have a number though but she should be easily found.

Will do a bit of research!

Will do a bit of research!

I have her number in work and I will PM it to you on Monday (if I don't forget).

Not related/connected to Eileen in any way but she really is very good and very cheap.

I have her number in work and I will PM it to you on Monday (if I don't forget).

Not related/connected to Eileen in any way but she really is very good and very cheap.

Fantastic, I appreciate that. She's not easy to find on google :)

I'll remind you ;)

That's not bad if true, I'll give them a shout, thanks!
    was in there earlier......had their party menu up= food for 40-50 people for 100 and for 60-70 people for 150 !!!

foyle wrote: »
    was in there earlier......had their party menu up= food for 40-50 people for 100 and for 60-70 people for 150 !!!

Their pricing makes no sense, 2 X 50 people would be cheaper :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Their pricing makes no sense, 2 X 50 people would be cheaper

but on two different nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

try celebrations party caters their located at planet playground clonmel was at a party recently and they did the food have to say it was excellent, they make their own battered goujons aswell not the usual processed crap you get in most places don't know their prices but can vouch for the food

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Their pricing makes no sense, 2 X 50 people would be cheaper

but on two different nights?
    It makes perfect sense to me if you only had 70 people why pay 200 to cater for more people than you have attending your event ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi folks,

I am looking to refurbish an old apartment in the town, its a fairly extensive job.
    Does anyone have a recommendation of a builder to do that sort of stuff ?
    I will be looking for quotes etc to begin with.

Thanks
    Rob

• Advertisement

Does anyone know anyone in Clonmel who could write a speech for a person attending a social occasion who has to address the audience?

Advertisement