Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

anyone know if any chemists are open late tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Heard Phelans shoe shop is closed. There is a sign in the window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

WayneScott wrote: »
    Bad news if it is,that place is there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

tippspur wrote: »
    Bad news if it is,that place is there a long time.

That's very sad news. I used to hate getting shoes for school as a young fella but that's where I always went.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A landmark Clonmel store, I really hope that's not the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭pooch90

Can't say I'm surprised. I went in there a few weeks ago and they had about 10 pairs of women's shoes.
    Sad to see a shop close but not shocked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

pooch90 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised. I went in there a few weeks ago and they had about 10 pairs of women's shoes.
    Sad to see a shop close but not shocked either.

I think it's catch 22 though. They might have had cash flow problems so can't order in lots of stock which may not be sold. Because they don't have a wide range of shoes, people go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Bad flooding down by SIR THOMAS' Bridge, both fields flooded, footpath flooded and you cant see where the riverside finishes and the fields start. I was just in Carrick and the River Suir is flooded all the way down to Carrick - hopefully its only fields and not peoples houses

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

The Convent Bridge in Clonmel is flooded too but it is passable. With the rain and wind forecast for later on it can only get worse. Still, the flood defences seem to be doing their job.

Sad to hear about Phelans. I've bought many a pair of shoes and handbags there over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

quays flooded! flood scheme my hiney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

quays flooded! flood scheme my hiney

How badly flooded, surely not as bad as previously!

Are quays closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Quays closed quite a bit of water on street. Basement of the DSP office badly flooded. The building closed to public tomorrow. Water doesn't breach the walls but came up through the gutters etc. The weather in Clonmel from around 5pm to 8pm was amp get the most severe I have seen.

Sad re Phelans but this closure is not as a result of recession etc there are other factors at play unfortunately for all involved

clonmel quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I noticed this on the quay one day last week. River was high and water coming up through the inspection hole covers (politically correct term?)

There was a couple of guys there in high viz gear looking concerned, engineers I suspect.

Is the Old Bridge area okay?

Lots more water on the way down the river after tonights rain.

At least it happened AFTER the Coursing meeting. Stay safe, folks. There is flooding on many roads and branches down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I hope that huge flash of lightning and rumble of thunder was a one off!

Wellyd wrote: »

it lit up my kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Wellyd wrote: »
    Where abouts was this,I didn't hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

tippspur wrote: »
    Where abouts was this,I didn't hear anything.

I live out in glenoaks and it was unbelievable. But thank god it was only a one off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Nothing over near Ferryhouse that I could see, but we did lose electricity for a short time around 6.30pm - okay now but blowing a gale and roads are covered in water, not flooded but dangerous all the same

Still a bit of intermittent lightening around. Quays Angelsea Street Old Bridge Convent Bridge closed

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

the quay in clonmel is flooded,the road is under a foot of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

snipey wrote: »
    the quay in clonmel is flooded,the road is under a foot of water.
    all over the road? Someone told me it came up through the manholes today

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

what part of the old bridge is affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Take a look on the tipperaryphotos Facebook page. Lots of photos of the area there, including the water forcing it's way up through the manhole covers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just wondering is Guiney's big and do they have much stock. Haven't being in the town center for ages.
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Judging by the level of the water and sheer volume of rain I'd say the town would have had to deal with its worst flooding in a long time without the new defences.

Just wondering is Guiney's big and do they have much stock. Haven't being in the town center for ages.
    Thanks in advance!
    yes to both although wouldn't be my shop of choice

• Advertisement

Judging by the level of the water and sheer volume of rain I'd say the town would have had to deal with its worst flooding in a long time without the new defences.
    the defences are doing their job really well despran unbelievable amount of water flowing through town. Interestingly however the water levels were higher in 2009 the last major flood in the town

Advertisement