Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

If you have a smart phone, just order one of the bluetooth modules for a few euros on ebay and check it yourself. You can then clear any codes too. I just gave a loan of mine to someone the other day, other than that you could've used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Thanks, I saw those bluetooth ones online and wondered if they'd be any good I might go ahead and order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

If you have a smart phone, just order one of the bluetooth modules for a few euros on ebay and check it yourself. You can then clear any codes too. I just gave a loan of mine to someone the other day, other than that you could've used it.
    can you link this please, wil they work with laptop. like this?

Can they be bought in a bricks and mortar shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

skintiam wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Clonmel that will read engine codes for free? My check engine light's been on for a week but car is running fine.

Details, make, model, year etc

There are plenty of places in and around Clonmel to read and diagnose what faults are stored.

Not so sure about the free bit though:)

Just because the car appears to be running ok does not mean nothing is wrong.

I'm aware there are plenty of mechanics in town that can diagnose faults and repair cars, and if I decide to go down that route I will, for now I just want the code to do my own trouble shooting first before I spend money. It was a motor factors I was thinking of, if any in town just read the code for free.

• Advertisement

There was one doing it free but not any more afaik.

A lot will depend on the details of the car, if it's old, it may not be obd compliant and there will be a different method to extract codes, which is one reason why I asked for details.

The diy section of the motoring forum might be a better bet for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131101197159 is the one I bought. If your laptop has bluetooth it should work with it. Otherwise get a wired version. Not sure what software is available free on pc. I used torque free and Eobd facile on Android, free software.

Edit : I just remembered, pc software comes on a cd with the tool but I didn't load it onto a pc as some buyer comments mentioned viruses

I'm aware there are plenty of mechanics in town that can diagnose faults and repair cars, and if I decide to go down that route I will, for now I just want the code to do my own trouble shooting first before I spend money. It was a motor factors I was thinking of, if any in town just read the code for free.

I'v sent you a pm, I dont want to give details publically that may not be 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Is there anywhere in Clonmel that will read engine codes for free? My check engine light's been on for a week but car is running fine.

Sean O Donoghue motor factors Carrigeen business park do free diagnostic readings its advertised in free paper

Royco wrote: »
    Sean O Donoghue motor factors Carrigeen business park do free diagnostic readings its advertised in free paper

I called up there today and they did it for me, it cost €10 which isn't bad, I'm going to get one of the bluetooth ones so I can do it myself in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

I called up there today and they did it for me, it cost €10 which isn't bad, I'm going to get one of the bluetooth ones so
    I can do it myself in future.

What was the cause of the yellow light?

Didn't get the exact cause just a code that points to the general area .

ten quid and they cannot say what is wrong? What is the point of the scan. i wonder if the scanners on ebay just point to general areas? I thought they could say exactly what area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The dashboard?

WayneScott wrote: »
    ten quid and they cannot say what is wrong? What is the point of the scan. i wonder if the scanners on ebay just point to general areas? I thought they could say exactly what area?

Yeah in fairness I only got the code and a brief description that googling the code would get you anyway, and for less than a tenner a bluetooth code reader would do the same thing. It took a few mins so I was paying for their time I suppose. When I say general area - it narrowed it down to 2 parts that could be faulty, but it could also be loose wiring at those sensors or just an intermittent error that mightn't show up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

The OBD reader will give general fault codes, but some of the diagnostics are proprietary to the vehicle manufacturer, and you need the manufacturers software, which costs money.

Yeah in fairness I only got the code and a brief description that googling the code would get you anyway, and for less than a tenner a bluetooth code reader would do the same thing. It took a few mins so I was paying for their time I suppose. When I say general area - it narrowed it down to 2 parts that could be faulty, but it could also be loose wiring at those sensors or just an intermittent error that mightn't show up again.
    It would and you would have it next time
    but it could also be loose wiring at those sensors or just an intermittent error that mightn't show up again
    is the light still on?

No it's off now I'm waiting to see if it comes back on to get it checked out, I put a new air filter in the old one was clogged up, wishful hoping on my part, if it comes back on I'm going to run some dipetane through it and if that doesn't put the light out I'll go to a mechanic.

This post is a excellent example of the some of the publics lack of understanding of the motor repair trade which often leads to mistrust and a general feeling of being ripped off.

Makes me sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I got some work done on the car recently by the lads at the top of Irishtown.
    They're generally flat out busy but good fellas to deal with and got me sorted. They are moving over the bridge to the central garage shortly I think, they defo need more space!

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    This post is a excellent example of the some of the publics lack of understanding of the motor repair trade which often leads to mistrust and a general feeling of being ripped off.

Makes me sigh.
    I would sigh if i paid a tenner for little more than a psychic reading

I would sigh if i paid a tenner for little more than a psychic reading

The op got a code read and fault description for €10.

The equipment used, Bosch kts, will have cost several thousand euro and is capable of going much deeper towards helping to identify the cause of the fault than just reading the code, but not for a tenner I would say.

You can spend ten's of thousands on having the best gear available, but I have yet to see the one that will magically tell you exactly what the problem is. In fact it's often the opposite as a code may well lead you up the garden path.

This is where training and experience comes in which all costs money.
    So a tenner doesn't go too far.

The bigger picture for SOD is the potential for selling parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

dieselbug wrote: »
    The op got a code read and fault description for €10.

The equipment used, Bosch kts, will have cost several thousand euro and is capable of going much deeper towards helping to identify the cause of the fault than just reading the code, but not for a tenner I would say.

You can spend ten's of thousands on having the best gear available, but I have yet to see the one that will magically tell you exactly what the problem is. In fact it's often the opposite as a code may well lead you up the garden path.

This is where training and experience comes in which all costs money.
    So a tenner doesn't go too far.

The bigger picture for SOD is the potential for selling parts.

Well said. I had their unit on loan a while back, fantastic piece of !! kit but as you said it's really only good for clearing fault codes if your not a mechanic or used to diagnosing problems. I've used manufacturers diagnostics and even they won't give you a 100% diagnosis all the time! they'll just point you in the general direction with a bit more accuracy than the generic ones.

A fault light cleared for ten quid is a bargain, most main dealers would charge 50+ vat to plug in their system.The cheap ebay dongles are good for clearing lights off dashes but don't expect them to perform dealer level diagnostics.

I just want to add, in case anyone got a different impression, that I have no complaints about what I got for my money. I asked my original question to save myself trying a few places because I'd heard of it being done free before. I was happy to pay a tenner and I got what I wanted which was just the code, I wasn't expecting a full diagnostic. And for the record I find them lovely to deal with in SOD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Now that there is no Borough Boundary for Clonmel ! How are we going to tell the population of Clonmel town when asked?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Xenophile wrote: »
    Now that there is no Borough Boundary for Clonmel ! How are we going to tell the population of Clonmel town when asked?

Just rely on the good old CBS Hgh School mantra of "It's the largest inland town in Ireland".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

touts wrote: »
    Just rely on the good old CBS Hgh School mantra of "It's the largest inland town in Ireland".

Not the largest in Munster though :D

Technically, I suppose it's the largest town in an inland county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Mr. G wrote: »
    Not the largest in Munster though :D

Technically, I suppose it's the largest town in an inland county in Ireland.

Surely not. Wikipedia shows Newbridge, Navan, Carlow and Athlone as being bigger.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

cml387 wrote: »
    Surely not. Wikipedia shows Newbridge, Navan, Carlow and Athlone as being bigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

You must be right so. Clonmel is the 25th largest town in Ireland. Very interesting to go through.

Ennis is bigger than Kilkenny..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Suprised at Ennis being so high up,thought Clonmel would have been higher up it feels much larger than the likes of Kilkenny or Ennis with more shops,services ect!.

Advertisement