Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It has Eddard Stark and Captain Picard.....that's automatic awesomeness right there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Morrowind was better, but hasn't aged as well. The combat is really poor, but it had a much better world imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Yeah I got the same feeling with Oblivion compared to Skyrim as I did with Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas - the latters are better made games - the formers are better games imo (that said I did enjoy them all immensely, completed 'em all 100% and am eagerly awaiting Fallout 4)
    I thought Fallout 3 was better in every way to New Vegas. New Vegas had too many little annoying things to properly enjoy whereas Fallout 3 had a fascinating main story with plenty of enjoyable side missions. I think I just might enjoy Oblivion.. As long as I can be a thief/assassin I'll be happy as Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Kiith wrote: »
    Morrowind was better, but hasn't aged as well. The combat is really poor, but it had a much better world imo.

Morrowind was prior to Oblivion yes??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GerB40 wrote: »
    Morrowind was prior to Oblivion yes??

Indeed. Was a fantastic game, with an amazing world. Combat was pretty poor, even by Elder Scrolls standard though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,968 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Looking back at the first page of this thread, Skyrim definitely delivered on almost all my concerns. Quest tracking, storylines, and even leveling to a certain degree. I mean, some of the leveling situation is still stupid, however, you can often find yourself in sticky situations - and that is SO important to good gameplay. Every time I go pick up the game I can go to a location or dungeon and in most cases while having a bit of fun, end up biting off more than I can chew, and then I either end up dead, running, or calling forth a dragon or a lightning storm or something to try and save my ass.

And I haven't even done either expansion yet. Or done a couple of those weirder story arcs like becoming a werewolf or whatever the hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Indeed. Was a fantastic game, with an amazing world. Combat was pretty poor, even by Elder Scrolls standard though.

To be fair to the Morrowind combat, it was more of a D&D pen and paper style of combat compared to the instantaneous style that was introduced in Oblivion. Someone who played Oblivion/Skyrim first won't obviously like it from the get-go because that was their first experience of the combat in Elder Scrolls.

To explain for GerB40, Pen & Paper combat meant that every hit you tried to make didn't neccessarily mean it makes contact, your chance to hit is determined by your opponents skill vs your skill in the weapon you are using and also your individual stats. Blocking was also automatic, the higher your block the more chances you have to block.

If you like D&D type of combat where its based around your characters skill to hit/miss/dodge etc then you might like it.

There are tons more customisable options for your character. More weapon styles such as Spears etc. You can mix and match Armor's to suit a look for your character (individual shoulder pauldrons etc)

It has aged a bit but there are a few mods out there that can change the quality of the graphics immensely. I also agree with Kiith that it's world and story is far, far better than Oblivion's or Skyrim's

And it is probably my favourite Elder Scrolls game. I put more hours and had more enjoyment into it than Oblivion and Skyrim. I give up pretty quickly when I play the latter two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Overheal wrote: »
    Every time I go pick up the game I can go to a location or dungeon and in most cases while having a bit of fun, end up biting off more than I can chew, and then I either end up dead, running, or calling forth a dragon or a lightning storm or something to try and save my ass.
    Every time I'm climbing to high hrothgar, i have to leg it past the ice-troll.

I usually come back 10 levels later and hand his a$$ to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So after looking at a great lets play of Skyrim (which is still ongoing after 2 years) I bought the game for my PC. What quests or side quests should I do first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

So after looking at a great lets play of Skyrim (which is still ongoing after 2 years) I bought the game for my PC. What quests or side quests should I do first

Just do your own thing. Id recommend doing the main quest until at least you get your Shout up to Max (Fus Ro Dah). After that I would suggest exploring on your own as you'll be able to fight dragons and learn new shouts in your own time. If you don't at least talk to Greybeards you won't fight any dragons in the world until you do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cravez wrote: »
    Just do your own thing. Id recommend doing the main quest until at least you get your Shout up to Max (Fus Ro Dah). After that I would suggest exploring on your own as you'll be able to fight dragons and learn new shouts in your own time. If you don't at least talk to Greybeards you won't fight any dragons in the world until you do.

One of the great things about Skyrim is picking a direction, seeing what lies there.

Usually Adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Skyrim is the type of game you would build a PC for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Would have to back up Kiith... For me Morrowind was the best of the series despite its atrocious combat!

It hasn't aged well so you'd prob hate it if you tried to play it, hell I'd probably not enjoy it if I want back to play it!!

Oblivion is well worth a play if you havn't tried it put don't expect it to be as polished as skyrim!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Morrowind has the fantastic all in one Overhaul which will install a group of mods step by step for you and makes the whole game look and play very well. I don't mind the skill based combat as much as others might and it's not addressed in the overhaul so be warned. I am currently playing through Morrowind and I think it looks great. It's easily the best and most interesting world Bethesda have created to date and it is enormous. Playing morrowind makes you much more aware of how the series has taken small but significant steps backwards in my opinion since then.

I like MrBTongue's video on the series myself (check out some of his other videos):-

Oblivion took my life when it came out but it had many problems like the levelling of enemies with you and so on. It can be modded to a much better state (Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul being mandatory imo) graphically and gameplay wise but there is no overhaul a la morrowind that will do it all for you and believe me with all the guides in the world you will have difficulties. I recently decided to have a go at modding it and settled on a series of mods that I could get working well together and it took some trial and error to settle on it. Thats with the Oblivion Mod Manager alongside helping (do not use the Nexus Mod Manager with Oblivion). If anyone is interested in how I did this I would be happy to post a thread (in the RPG forum - yes there is one).

Skyrim addressed a lot of the issues with Oblivion particularly the level scaling although they couldn't quite bring themselves to remove it entirely (I'll be installing the Requim mod for my next play I think). they have yet to really get past the shallowness though and it remains the weakest part of all their games. NPCs really are cardboard. We have basically gone from NPCs that stood pretty much in the same place to ... em NPCs that go to bed at night and return to that same place again through 3 games.

For all of that they remain some of the best playgrounds created and I can't for the life of me think of a developer that makes games that are remotely along the same lines in terms of scale and how much you can do in one large open world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Parts of the main quest in Oblivion were extremely monotonous. I miss the Arena though, it was one of the best parts of Oblivion.

So thanks to this thread I'm well and truly stuck back into Skyrim... Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing but anyway I spent most of today installing a ton graphics and gameplay mods. Found a cool one that adds loads of new interesting NPCs which kind of adds to the immersion a bit. Also some sort of civil war mod which basically creates random battles with large groups of NPCs all over the map, its pretty cool.

Has anyone installed Falskaar?? If so would you recommend it? It sounds amazing but id say it will take forever to download on my internet so if its worth it I might start the download before I go to bed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I played Oblivion and loved it to bits, bought this and as it turns out my GPU was having memory issues. I've only just gotten around to changing my card and can finally now settle down to playing this.

Have you any advice for someone starting into this fresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Well folks I've a question. Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I played an I f*cking adore it. I've finished it a couple of times and I still don't get sick of it (on PS3 by the way). My question is, is Oblivion worth buying considering I plan on getting PS4 soon? Is Oblivion as big, the graphics as good and the story as epic as Skyrim? If I do buy it, it'll be the last game I buy for the PS3.
    Get Oblivion and you'll end up pushing back the PS4 purchase. It's good, but Skyrim is better. Seeing how much you like Skyrim, you'll like Oblivion for sure.

Wasn't paying attention before posting my previous, and didn't notice there was another page of posts. Anyway...
    mewso wrote: »
    Morrowind has the fantastic all in one Overhaul which will install a group of mods step by step for you and makes the whole game look and play very well.
    Was looking in to setting up Morroblivion to see how it was. The installation process is a bit of a nightmare, and wasn't even really setting it up to play right now anyway, just to see I could get it working. One of the requirements of it was to get this file. I've registered, but I guess that site must have some stupid requirement for passwords of a certain amount of numbers, letters, caps, etc. as I didn't use my usual one. And they aren't sending an email to me when I do the forgot password thing.

Has anyone tried it? I've seen a little gameplay and it looks quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm so tempted to pick this up on the PC, I've about 150 hours put into the PS3 version but I know I'd get more fun from the PC version with Mods.

Whats the best place to pick up a copy, Amazon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well folks I've a question. Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I played an I f*cking adore it. I've finished it a couple of times and I still don't get sick of it (on PS3 by the way). My question is, is Oblivion worth buying considering I plan on getting PS4 soon? Is Oblivion as big, the graphics as good and the story as epic as Skyrim? If I do buy it, it'll be the last game I buy for the PS3.

Tbh I'm a die hard morrowind fan. It wasn't as fancy and you didn't get a horse but the story was better and the whole thing was much more fun imo

edit: durr ps3 sorry didn't see that

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm so tempted to pick this up on the PC, I've about 150 hours put into the PS3 version but I know I'd get more fun from the PC version with Mods.

Whats the best place to pick up a copy, Amazon?
    There's talk of Oblivion and Skyrim now, so which? You'd go for the one with all DLC which ever one anyway, yeah? GOTY if Oblivion or Legendary is Skyrim, yeah?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There's talk of Oblivion and Skyrim now, so which? You'd go for the one with all DLC which ever one anyway, yeah? GOTY if Oblivion or Legendary is Skyrim, yeah?

I'm a different poster then the guy who was asking about Skyrim/Oblivion early :pac:

The one on amazon is the legendary edition (all DLC) working out at about €32 euro delivered, compared to Steams price of €39.99 and I'd probably be waiting about 3 days for it to d/l with the broadband :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm a different poster then the guy who was asking about Skyrim/Oblivion early :pac:

The one on amazon is the legendary edition (all DLC) working out at about €32 euro delivered, compared to Steams price of €39.99 and I'd probably be waiting about 3 days for it to d/l with the broadband :pac:
    Some places that have it cheap. Wouldn't know if some of these are unreliable...

www.gamesrocket.com/download/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Legendary-Edition.html?ref=516
    www.dlcompare.com/games/buy-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition-569
    www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-skyrim-legendary-edition-cd-key-compare-prices/

Found one in Cork for €24.99 so I'll be visiting it after work tomorrow. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wasn't paying attention before posting my previous, and didn't notice there was another page of posts. Anyway...

Was looking in to setting up Morroblivion to see how it was. The installation process is a bit of a nightmare, and wasn't even really setting it up to play right now anyway, just to see I could get it working. One of the requirements of it was to get this file. I've registered, but I guess that site must have some stupid requirement for passwords of a certain amount of numbers, letters, caps, etc. as I didn't use my usual one. And they aren't sending an email to me when I do the forgot password thing.

Has anyone tried it? I've seen a little gameplay and it looks quite good.

The nexus has a buggy login for me in that you login by using the drop down thing at the top of the page and nothing happens but refresh and it shows you logged in. Morrowblivion looks good but to be honest the Oblivion engine is the worst of three for performance and I'll wait for Skywind I think. In the meantime the original morrowind with overhaul is fine and I don't think Morrowblivion has all the add-ons complete but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Is there any chance in the future of some sort of all in one mod? New to pc gaming and it all sounds very complicated :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its not that complicated. Just install the nexus mod manager then after that its basically like downloading and installing games on steam.

You can browse the nexus mod website, click on a mod to download it, then when it has downloaded it appears in nexus mod manager like a game in your steam library. Click on the mod and then click install. Then just launch the game.

You can download the mod manager here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/? you'll need to create an account to use it.

Beware though, there are so many interesting sounding mods that you may be spending more time modding the game than actually playing it!

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Is there any chance in the future of some sort of all in one mod? New to pc gaming and it all sounds very complicated :o

Unlikely but you could check out STEP which is a pdf you can download that will take you through the steps to install various graphical mods. Going through that process might also help to demystify the whole thing a bit. Installing mods isn't that complicated. It's when there are clashes or recommended install/load orders, compatibility patches between mods and so on. A good rule starting out is to hold of on mods that might clash with your the main mods you plan to install. Basically install unofficial patches, then perhaps a texture pack, then start looking at the main mods to improve graphics then delve into other mods all the time checking how they work with the main mods you have already installed.

A lot of guides I see recommend absolute crap imo like mods that make the females look like some kind of teenage boys fantasy and hair mods? I could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Fakman87 wrote: »
    It does require some homework but the payoff is worth it.

I've spent a good few hours/days just modding and tweaking - gameplay came 2nd :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mewso wrote: »
    [...] Morrowblivion looks good but to be honest the Oblivion engine is the worst of three for performance and I'll wait for Skywind I think. In the meantime the original morrowind with overhaul is fine and I don't think Morrowblivion has all the add-ons complete but I could be wrong.

I only came across Skywind the other day actually and I'm fairly blown away by the size of the mod; the sheer numbers (70 people!) and dedication being applied is impressive; it's definitely on a par with something like Black Mesa, perhaps even more so given the amount of content they're remaking from scratch. I'm amazed Bethesda haven't come knocking yet, for good or bad. The dev released a Making-Of video in the new year, worth a look for those unfamiliar with the project:

Advertisement