Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Obviously they have different people on different projects, but this is nuts. They have Morroblivion and Skywind which I already knew about. There's also a Skyblivion WIP. They don't have anything for download or a FAQ yet, obviously, but there is discussion about it in the forum. tesrenewal.com/forums/skyblivion-development-forums

As for Skywind, a cursory look at the forum there and I found this:
    icedwinter, he asked when the download was going to be up, not the full project. technically we could put it up now but we will refrain from doing so until 0.9.2 is out, we may even wait until 0.10.0.1 but even that would not be a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mods need to be installed individually to 'test' them. I downloaded a load of mods and couldn't understand why the game kept crashing after the title screen. I went into nexus and checked each mod until I found the culprit and unticked it. Just last night I couldn't understand why my weapons kept dropping after I was pressing hotkeys, it was the better weapon enhancement* mod causing this to happen.

*i think that's what it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mods need to be installed individually to 'test' them. I downloaded a load of mods and couldn't understand why the game kept crashing after the title screen. I went into nexus and checked each mod until I found the culprit and unticked it. Just last night I couldn't understand why my weapons kept dropping after I was pressing hotkeys, it was the better weapon enhancement* mod causing this to happen.

For future reference, if you get a crash at a title screen etc then run the TES5 Edit tool. Select all mods .esm and .esp files and let it run. The culprit file will cause an error in the loading and you now know which file causes the issue.

It will save alot more time than checking and reading each mod file individually on Nexus etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Mods need to be installed individually to 'test' them.
    Good advice for Steam downloaded mods too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Interestingly STEP is now recommending Mod Organizer over other mod managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Picked up my Legendary Edition in Gamestop for 19.99 in Gamestop, cant wait to get home and start it all again.

Oh and MOOOODS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,865 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Every time I'm climbing to high hrothgar, i have to leg it past the ice-troll.

I usually come back 10 levels later and hand his a$$ to him.

I mean he was an intimidating fecker but I just kited him. You can tackle just about anything in Skyrim if you have enough space to use agility to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

mewso wrote: »
    Interestingly STEP is now recommending Mod Organizer over other mod managers.
    That mod isolation feature sounds great. I've lost count of the number of times I've reinstalled just to get my Data folder back to vanilla. I keep a spare copy now.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Picked up my Legendary Edition in Gamestop for 19.99 in Gamestop, cant wait to get home and start it all again.

Oh and MOOOODS :pac:
    Don't tempt me, what system?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So i started to play this again recently, last time i played was about release time.
    Ive a high spec PC and a pimped out modded Skyrim ready to go.

Last time i played the game wouldnt let me pass a certain point no matter what i done,seemed to be a bug.
    when the faction leaders sat round the table to discuss with the greybears

So i started again with another character and it happened again at the same spot.

While watching a stream the other night the guy playing wasnt sticking to the story and just seemed to ramble around the world fighting everything in sight and leveling up while doing so.

Im just wondering is it possible to play the game this way and level up? if one was bored sticking to the story that is.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Don't tempt me, what system?

PC, although they had a legendary version for the Xbox, seen the sleeve when they were getting my PC version from the drawer, not sure of the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dcully wrote: »

Im just wondering is it possible to play the game this way and level up? if one was bored sticking to the story that is.

The only mission you have to do is escape Helgen at the beginning (mods to avoid that) but thats it nothing else needs to be done for the stormcloak or dragon storyline. You can avoid them completley and just wander about doing other missions.

Mission your on is where you have convince each side to give up a town. Are you talking to the right person? Imagine the game would just there if Mr Stormcloak said "what ye think" and you not answering to him or the imperial bitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's the beauty of the Bethesda games really. That you are basically encouraged to do so. In skyrim it was worth proceeding the main quest to the point where dragons appear and then go off doing other stuff. I do always intend to do the main quest and have done but it's on the long finger in these games. As someone who like to eventually do the main quest I would be concerned about the bug you have. Are you saying it occurs even with the unofficial patches modded in?

I havent got tried with the unofficial patch mod yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My last character, I was level 50 by the time I even touched the main quest. Loads of dragon wall words learned, but no dragon souls to unlock them.

Whenever I play now, I do the main quest until you kill your first dragon, at which point dragons appear randomly, then I ignore the main quest completely.

Since i quit the game at the point i mentioned im assuming i had only discovered a small part of the world so my experience is limited.
    If one was to roam about and just randomly kill things and discover areas, is there really a huge amount of dungeons and places to discover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

If one was to roam about and just randomly kill things and discover areas, is there really a huge amount of dungeons and places to discover?

Not just that but there's 100s of quests to do. Join the dark brotherhood, the companions, thieves guild, mage college.. you could play 100 hours and never touch the main quest. The map is huge too and full of stuff.

Since i quit the game at the point i mentioned im assuming i had only discovered a small part of the world so my experience is limited.

I remember the claim being about the 150 mark on dungeons not to mention forts, dwemer ruins etc. (although that figure might have included them all together) but don't forget you have the various factions and their quests too. The Mages Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Fighters Guild (or whatever they were called in Skyrim) to mention a few. Plenty of random quest you will find in the cities and out in the wilderness too. You can easily invest 100 hours and beyond in the game without doing the main quest.

*edit snap EGriff

I've got a platinum trophy for this on the PS3, I just want to go back and try it allin a different way on the PC and I cant bloody wait. :D

Also Dcully if you wander into a fort or cave and murder everyone, you may get a bounty mission later in the game to kill the very same people.

Always nice to happen upon a cave of murdered people, that you forgot you murdered weeks ago :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Also Dcully if you wander into a fort or cave and murder everyone, you may get a bounty mission later in the game to kill the very same people.

Always nice to happen upon a cave of murdered people, that you forgot you murdered weeks ago :D
    Or murder a jarl and break the game :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know, aside from the first purchase way back when, I'm fairly sure every reinstall & revisit to Skyrim has been because of this thread & the periodic "so I've jumped back into Skyrim" posts :D Damn you boards.ie

*opens Steam*
    *reinstalls*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm fighting a serious urge to get stuck back into this too. I recall starting another character using that mod that means you don't have to do the first mission and it drops you in a random starting place in the world.

I just wanted to play the game as a thief/rogue style character which is something I never play as, so I was intent on heading for whichever town has the thieves guild and start there. This is the greatest joy of this game, it's a world with things for an adventurer to play with rather than a game with set tasks that you must do.

Apparently I never even scratched the surface of the main quest with the first character I played according to my girlfriend who had played it through before I did. I went through the rebellion storyline thinking that was it and was kinda wondering about why dragons weren't such a big deal because I hadn't made more visits to the GreyBeards.

It's the modding community that deserves the real credit for the breath of options you have with this game.

PC, although they had a legendary version for the Xbox, seen the sleeve when they were getting my PC version from the drawer, not sure of the price though.
    Nice1, Dawngaurd worth the playthrough?

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm fighting a serious urge to get stuck back into this too.
    Don't fight it, it's futile.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nice1, Dawngaurd worth the playthrough?

I got it on the PS3 and it was good, I'm going back now for the Mods and taking a completely new take on it.

I'll fight the first dragon and then go off to cause havoc :pac:

N00b PC question, wheres the best place to get and manage the mods?

I got it on the PS3 and it was good, I'm going back now for the Mods and taking a completely new take on it.

I'll fight the first dragon and then go off to cause havoc :pac:

N00b PC question, wheres the best place to get and manage the mods?

Install the Nexus Mod Manager and your set.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/?

My mod list dont forget to download from Nexus ussing NMM link and activate the mod when its downloaded. Thats important

and yes I wanted to marry Serana :D

1453263_672135802825876_1255815609_n.jpg

I've got it d/led alright, looks daunting at first but I think I can manage.

About 2 hours in and nothing started after the 1st dragon encountered, just as I remembered Skyrim. :D

Is there any mods ye'd recommend?

• Advertisement

Is there any mods ye'd recommend?
    Two essential* mods are this and this.

5932-1-1326302818.jpg

*Or maybe not.

Advertisement