Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Get the Skyrim Script Extender: http://skse.silverlock.org/
    I've no idea what it does, but a lot of mods need it, and when you use the Nexus Mod Manager, you can launch the game though it (see dreamers75's screencap and the top right has the launch button which has it selected).

The SkyUI is a must have, as it sorts out the awful user interface. And then the Unofficial Patches sort out a fair few bugs. There's also Unofficial Patches for the two add-ons, so pick those up if you also have the add-ons.

After that, it's all up to what you want. Climates of Tamriel gives you some cool weather effects and also lets you play around with the lighting levels so, for example, caves and dungeons are incredibly dark and need a torch to be navigated. It's worth getting one of the water mods, which improves the look of the rivers and lakes, as it looks fairly rubbish without them. But there's a fair few, and I'm not sure which one is best.

You'll probably want some of the extra equipment mods like Immersive Weapons and Immersive Armour, and if you want the game to be particularly immersive, get the Winter Is Coming and Cloaks of Skyrim mods. These play really well with the Frostfall mod which makes things like the cold and wet factors you have to take into account. You have to wrap up when going out in the cold or you start to freeze to death. It also includes a new camping mechanism.

I haven't tried it yet, but Hunterborn also sounds interesting. It opens up hunting, making it more useful to you. And there's a Real Needs And Diseases mod which, unsurprisingly, adds more needs and diseases.

A lot of these mods all work with each other, so when you're reading their blurb you'll see them all referencing each other. As I said, it all depends on what you want, and also if they'll actually work with each other. I also usually add the Enhanced Towns and Villages collections as they make the towns look awesome, but they're fairly processor intensive.

I haven't a clue about the ENB mods. But if you want to fiddle with them, they can make the game look even nicer (or slow your computer down to a crawl if you do it wrong).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Guess I'll install some mods and reroll :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is there any mod for managing save games?
    My Mage game save seems to be lost, only lvl 7 but a pain to start out again all the same.
    I rolled a few characters to get past the first dragon fight and then maybe play them later on at my leisure but i had so many F5 quick saves [playing on 2nd to hardest difficulty]my main Mage save seems to have been deleted as it looks like theres only so many saves allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My character can't mine ore, he just continues to hack away but the ore doesn't change colour and I don't receive any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Dcully wrote: »
    So i started to play this again recently, last time i played was about release time.
    Ive a high spec PC and a pimped out modded Skyrim ready to go.

Last time i played the game wouldnt let me pass a certain point no matter what i done,seemed to be a bug.
    when the faction leaders sat round the table to discuss with the greybears

So i started again with another character and it happened again at the same spot.

While watching a stream the other night the guy playing wasnt sticking to the story and just seemed to ramble around the world fighting everything in sight and leveling up while doing so.

Im just wondering is it possible to play the game this way and level up? if one was bored sticking to the story that is.
    I had about 50 hours under the belt before I bothered going to High Hrothgar. I've 300 or so down and I still haven't finished the main storyline... So yeah, more than possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Two essential* mods are

*Or maybe not.

I prefer Macho Man

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lots of websites have a best 10/50 mods for Skyrim

Boards should

My top 3

Climate of Tamriel with all options on ENB included.
    Sky UI
    Falksaar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Two essential* mods are

*Or maybe not.

I like this one too.

God-****ing-damn-it-mother****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I say old chap, we don't all swear like ruffians!

6vf2e.jpg

Why did i not got back to this game earlier?
    I quit shortly after release after running into a bug and never got round to it again.
    Im now equipped with the legendary edition and modding the crap out of it and its fecking brilliant now.
    I never realised how big and deep the game is :eek:
    Playing as a destruction mage for now and its great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm half tempted to go back and start over as a Mage.

I've started as a two handed longsword swinging Nord.

My PS3 character was a sneaky archer but with decent equipment and levels you could one hit a lot of the enemies in sneak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always play a mage, I've decided to play a sneaky archer this time. You really can one hit a lot of them. It's mad!
    :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    I always play a mage, I've decided to play a sneaky archer this time. You really can one hit a lot of them. It's mad!

Soon as ya get a Deadric Bow & Arrows and have a high sneak level theres not much you cant 1 hit.

Couple it with enchanted armour or jewellery with Archery plus points and you can be unbeatable without ever being detected. :D

I've become a modest house owner out in Falkrathe (sp) but ive blown all my gold n the plot of land really, still have to head to Whiterun and I'mabout 5/6 hours in, thats why I love this game, you can get lost in the game so easily.

Auriels bow > Daidric Bow.

Its in Dawngaurd.

240px-Auriels_bow.png

bah stop showing me lovely bow models, you will have me making an archer character again, the crossbows look fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

the crossbows look fun.
    Yes. The Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow with Exploding Dwarven Ice Bolts.

Crossbows :eek:

Christ I'll have to level up and get in on this Dawwguard action :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I need to start playing this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've just discovered 6x sneak backstab damage. A quick F5 and I'm dual wielding daggers and wiping out the guards of whiterun :D

I should probably train daggers, using a bow in melee is getting a bit silly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

bluewolf wrote: »

Never played a mage, keep meaning to try it out but when I bought the game originally, as soon as I heard wood elves were in it....Legolas. :P I find it hard to stay away from the archery :(

I've used the Ultimate Followers patch, so I've a band of two handed tanks roaming around Skyrim f**king s**t up wherever we go, its great craic.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've used the Ultimate Followers patch, so I've a band of two handed tanks roaming around Skyrim f**king s**t up wherever we go, its great craic.

:pac:

I found whenver I had a follower and was doing 2-handed characters I'd end up power charging into them and accidentally hitting them instead of my target. Serves them right for getting in my way, but still. I can only imagine what it's like with multiple followers.

I found whenver I had a follower and was doing 2-handed characters I'd end up power charging into them and accidentally hitting them instead of my target. Serves them right for getting in my way, but still. I can only imagine what it's like with multiple followers.

Its there own fault really if they get in the way, they're generally not to bad, like the mod takes away some of the stupider A.I. and you can give them more specific instructions and such.

I dont think I'd travel with more then 2, the mod allows upto 15 :eek:

That would be nuts.

I had enough trouble on the companion quests
    Stop running in front of my fcuking bow when I'm sneak attacking?
    OMG AN ENEMY GET THEM RAWRRRR *thunk* "hey, watch it!"
    :pac::pac:

Follower mod stops them attacking you when a FUS RO DAH goes wrong, its why i used it.

Hit lvl 10 on my archer chick,went to dawnguard to grab a crossbow.
    Heading back whiterun to continue on, just wondering what lvl i can work on dawnguard and other DLC areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can anyone tell me how to bind the 180 turn to my middle mouse button?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Hit lvl 10 on my archer chick,went to dawnguard to grab a crossbow.
    Heading back whiterun to continue on, just wondering what lvl i can work on dawnguard and other DLC areas?

Level 10 should be grand man

• Advertisement

I'm going head towards dawnguard for a crossbow soon enough.

I d/ked a mod for a new follower, Hoth.

He wears Forsworn armour and uses their weapons (bows & Two handed staff type thing), his dialouge is very good too.

Advertisement