Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You never heard of the eastern European version where st Nicholas's (Santa) demon helper gives coal to bad children and his angel helper gives presents to good children

During the existence of Santa discussion I told Hermoine that I would quite like coal from Santa so she is working out ways I can be sufficiently naughty to qualify. She did warn me that I may not get coal if I want coal as Santa isn't stupid and if I am not careful he will give me something I really don't want like make-up or perfume to teach me not to be such a smarty pants.

Hermoine is getting a microscope to go with the Chemistry set she got for her birthday. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hermoine is getting a microscope to go with the Chemistry set she got for her birthday. ;)

Ooh. Microscopes are pretty cool. Plenty of free interesting stuff to look at too. Skin flakes, leaves, cells from a swab of your cheek, hair, crystals, dirt, fabrics...

Sarky wrote: »
    Ooh. Microscopes are pretty cool. Plenty of free interesting stuff to look at too. Skin flakes, leaves, cells from a swab of your cheek, hair, crystals, dirt, fabrics...

She has her first project planned - hair from various humans and dogs must be collected and compared.
    Second project is comparing the results of her soluble/non-soluble chemistry experiments.

My problem is she is convinced I am knowledgeable in the sciences....ummmm...:eek:

Not a whole lot of difference between human and dog hair at that level. Some dog hair is probably much finer, and there might be differences in the amount of oil/grease, but the genetics governing their production is pretty similar in both species. The chemistry one will show up some nice differences between solutions and suspensions. Might inform her on refractive indices, too. Oh, she's going to come to you with SO MANY QUESTIONS! ^_^

. Oh, she's going to come to you with SO MANY QUESTIONS! ^_^

I know...:eek:

Be ready for many, many PMs ;).

• Advertisement

Be ready for many, many references to Wikipedia. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Huh?
    Ok, lazygal said "and santa doesn't have a hissy fit and drown you if you're naughty", pointing out that santa is possibly a little more stable and less psyhopathic than god. You then responded with "... demon helper gives coal to bad children..." To me that seemed like you were engaging in a bit of whataboutery, "well yeah, god drowned pretty much everything on the entire planet but the Eastern European Santa GAVE CHILDREN COAL!!! What a monster."

Apologies if you weren't.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

MrPudding wrote: »
    Ok, lazygal said "and santa doesn't have a hissy fit and drown you if you're naughty", pointing out that santa is possibly a little more stable and less psyhopathic than god. You then responded with "... demon helper gives coal to bad children..." To me that seemed like you were engaging in a bit of whataboutery, "well yeah, god drowned pretty much everything on the entire planet but the Eastern European Santa GAVE CHILDREN COAL!!! What a monster."

Apologies if you weren't.

MrP

Apology accepted :) but he only gives coal to the bad children. Have to say the kids were petrified when their names were being called out in case they were on the wrong list.
    You do realise Santa is based on st Nicholas who was a real person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I'd say this forum has its fair share of bigots as well ...must be all Russian:)

No need to say that about JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well, here He is. Praise be. Ramen.

282776.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Insect wings are deadly, as are dandelion seeds.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Well, here He is. Praise be. Ramen.

PRAISE BE to the bling. I'll go with that. FSM.....meh.

Well it'll be a better tree topper than the feckin' silver angel we've had up until now. Bleh.

Life ain't always empty.

Well it'll be a better tree topper than the feckin' silver angel we've had up until now. Bleh.

This is true. I had a star, but it met with an unfortunate heel/treading into ground accident last year. I have yet to come up with the alternative. Perhaps the felt mermaid I have in the window...it being make believe and cutsey too :D

Is cute. Is better to be a felt mermaid, than a mermaid left unfelt :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

1471805_10151737497061875_148244005_n.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Fake poster probably as that would be illegal in the US and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Fake poster probably as that would be illegal in the US and here.

Likely out in the sticks somewhere. I've seen much more abhorrent posters than that around the internet.

• Advertisement

Tree went up today :)

283630.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

COOOOL! Looks great - I hadn't imagined it as big, from the first photo. Nice one ;)

He's got four balls :cool: and they're 25mm diameter. I took the first picture on the kitchen floor because I got crap lighting and nasty shadows trying to photograph it next to a wall. The kitchen tiles are 30cm square. I should've included a ruler in the photo :)

He was really easy to make. I painted the polystyrene balls brown with acrylic paint (ordinary watercolour would do) then put a hole through each one with a skewer and threaded the four of them onto two red tinselly wirey thing (any pasta dish needs sauce) and then it was very easy to construct the rest just twisting the wires together.

The tinselly wires with the eyes on - I bent the ends into a circle around a marker, which was the same size as the googly eyes, then glued them on with contact adhesive.

Have plenty of balls :pac: left and lots of tinselly stuff (I used up all the gold, though!) so I might get the kids to make a couple of smaller ones if they want :)

Cost (all materials from Euro2) -
    2 packets multicoloured tinselly wire - 4 euro (have most of this left)
    1 packet foam balls - 2 euro (have six of them left)
    Assorted tubes of acrylic paint - 2 euro (have almost all of this left)
    1 packet assorted googly eyes - 2 euro (have almost all of these left!)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

He's got four balls :cool: and they're 25mm diameter. I took the first picture on the kitchen floor because I got crap lighting and nasty shadows trying to photograph it next to a wall. The kitchen tiles are 30cm square. I should've included a ruler in the photo :)

He was really easy to make. I painted the polystyrene balls brown with acrylic paint (ordinary watercolour would do) then put a hole through each one with a skewer and threaded the four of them onto two red tinselly wirey thing (any pasta dish needs sauce) and then it was very easy to construct the rest just twisting the wires together.

The tinselly wires with the eyes on - I bent the ends into a circle around a marker, which was the same size as the googly eyes, then glued them on with contact adhesive.

Have plenty of balls :pac: left and lots of tinselly stuff (I used up all the gold, though!) so I might get the kids to make a couple of smaller ones if they want :)

Cost (all materials from Euro2) -
    2 packets multicoloured tinselly wire - 4 euro (have most of this left)
    1 packet foam balls - 2 euro (have six of them left)
    Assorted tubes of acrylic paint - 2 euro (have almost all of this left)
    1 packet assorted googly eyes - 2 euro (have almost all of these left!)
    You'll do the celebrity chefs out of a job, if you keep coming up with recipies like that for Christmas !!!:):D

I'm glad you like Him J C. Of course it's not Him, just a representation of Him, no-one has seen Him.
    Once I get the constitution amended, it will be recognised that due homage shall be accorded to Him and He shall have a 'special position' - on top of everyone's yuletide tree - by law!
    I'm so exicited.

Life ain't always empty.

I'm glad you like Him J C. Of course it's not Him, just a representation of Him, no-one has seen Him.
    Once I get the constitution amended, it will be recognised that due homage shall be accorded to Him and He shall have a 'special position' - on top of everyone's yuletide tree - by law!
    I'm so exicited.

I will go to jail before any carbohydrate based deity replaces Xena on top of MY tree. :mad:

Why would you place her on top of such an obvious phallus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Just keeping her skills up methinks.

Why wouldn't you?! ....and I'm not even into women.
    :confused: That's not like you to miss a trick Sarky...
    legspin wrote: »
    Just keeping her skills up methinks.

Now. Legs has it. :D

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I will go to jail before any carbohydrate based deity replaces Xena on top of MY tree. :mad:

Pics or GTFO ;)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement