Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninja900 wrote: »
    Tip for 2014: go back to dried thyme, nobody will care :pac:

Also - don't buy a turkey that barely fits in the oven (and use a borrowed tray that barely fits in the oven) and then cover it with tons of foil which ends up overhanging the sides, the heat in the oven won't circulate well (gas oven. You might get away with it in a fan oven) and don't believe BBC Food when they tell you you can cook an 8kg turkey in less than five hours at Gas Mark 4 :eek:

After three hours it had barely started cooking. Took the foil off. Turned the gas up a bit later. It was over eight :eek: hours in the oven in the end so just as well we'd started it at 8am!

But it wasn't dry though :) and yeah I did eat the rashers...
    i stopped buying full turkeys a few years ago. I go with a crown or boned, rolled and stuffed. Less trouble with oven size and a lot less waste.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

MrPudding wrote: »
    i stopped buying full turkeys a few years ago. I go with a crown or boned, rolled and stuffed. Less trouble with oven size and a lot less waste.

MrP
    The turkey curry will be delicious tonight, as will the turkey soup. No waste here! :P

The turkey curry will be delicious tonight, as will the turkey soup. No waste here! :P
    But the hassle involved in getting all the meat from the carcass is a pain.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Chez robindch, all the Christmas carcasses -- lamb, chicken + duck -- spent a few hours simmering gently yesterday afternoon, to produce a fantastic stock which served as the base for robindch's famous French onion soup. No scratching meat off bones around here.

/yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

MrP
    robindch wrote: »
    Chez robindch, all the Christmas carcasses -- lamb, chicken + duck -- spent a few hours simmering gently yesterday afternoon, to produce a fantastic stock which served as the base for robindch's famous French onion soup. No scratching meat off bones around here.

/yum
    Yep, what rob said. The easy to get meat goes in the curry, the rest goes into the stockpot. It's only a minor pain compared to the ungodly deliciousness of the finished product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Ham and turkey curry is much nicer. Yum yum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Obliq wrote: »
    Yo yo, ho ho ....hope ye all had a good one folks. Am quite squiffy and still very full up after an enormous buffet style EVERYTHING we usually don't have dinner and a drunken game of Settlers (which my youngest is now scarily good at. Damn) Quoting you here below ninja: Tip for 2014.....freeze the thyme twigs first, then they just strip off all in one go :D

Replaced a dying lavender border last year with alternating rosemary and sage bushes, edged with thyme to the front. They're all perennial, cheap as chips to buy, take no work to maintain, and give you fresh herbs all year 'round. They also bring odd bottles of wine and cakes, as neighbours feel guilty for grabbing handfuls of herbs here and there for there own culinary needs. All you need is a thing strip of garden that gets the sun.

Ham and turkey curry is much nicer. Yum yum.

Nothing left off the goose bar the makings of a stock, though did cook up a big lamb madras yesterday which was truly fantastic. To be fair, after a day spent cutting up a rather large fallen tree with a handsaw, cold gruel would also have been fantastic.

smacl wrote: »
    To be fair, after a day spent cutting up a rather large fallen tree with a handsaw, cold gruel would also have been fantastic.

Was pulling three trees out of the ditch myself during Stephen's day myself, so I hear your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Replaced a dying lavender border last year with alternating rosemary and sage bushes, edged with thyme to the front. They're all perennial, cheap as chips to buy, take no work to maintain, and give you fresh herbs all year 'round. They also bring odd bottles of wine and cakes, as neighbours feel guilty for grabbing handfuls of herbs here and there for there own culinary needs. All you need is a thing strip of garden that gets the sun.

I keep killing mine off from neglect, and getting the digger in to rearrange the yard/front flower bed didn't help either. I do have a few sage, parsley and 1 rosemary in the tunnel, but the thyme died a death. Bought a pot of it again before xmas, but have used so much off it that it won't survive! Dead easy to grow from seed though....I must get it together this year and try remember my outdoor plants. My chickens eat the tasty ones - also a problem :P

Also, yup...boyfriend had to cut his way out of the parish on stephen's day. Anyone would think I'd planned it.....

• Advertisement

Thyme kept dying on me too to be fair, it likes it very very dry, and I currently have some in holes on top of a breeze block wall. Coriander and basil were also a total failure, and a polytunnel in a small suburban garden might just freak the neighbours. Youngest wants to replace the rather small front lawn with a mini corn field completed with scarecrow, and I'd be tempted by a mini orchard for cider purposes.

My wonderful wife is somewhat concerned. Atheism is one thing, but orthodoxy in gardening seems somewhat fiercer than that of the church ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'd be tempted by a mini orchard for cider purposes.

A worthwhile venture, I marinaded and boiled our ham in our own cider this year
    turned out beautiful and of course the rest of the cider is/was in the shed over the season (down to the last 2 cases for tonight)

Hope you're all thoroughly sated and ready to face the new year.

A worthwhile venture, I marinaded and boiled our ham in our own cider this year
    turned out beautiful and of course the rest of the cider is/was in the shed over the season (down to the last 2 cases for tonight)

Hope you're all thoroughly sated and ready to face the new year.

Managed to kill two out of my three cider batches this year (two apple trees, three pear trees, and two plum trees) and really need a few more trees. The eight or so good litres were just too precious to be used for culinary purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So here we are again...

Turkey (thankfully one that actually fits the oven properly) is stuffed and on its roasting tray in the bottom of the fridge, all ready to go in the morning.

Kids - asleep (hopefully) despite their excitement

Santa presents - all checked and charged up and no assembly required :) just have to sneak them downstairs later

Picked up a bottle of O'Hara's Leann Follain limited edition whiskey barrel aged stout for me for tomorrow too :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This years addition to our tree, got it in the Disney store during the summer

tree.png

..yes and if you look very carefully, that is a boards.ie logo on the window of my car

Cabaal wrote: »
    ..yes and if you look very carefully, that is a boards.ie logo on the window of my car

Weirdo :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Cabaal wrote: »
    and if you look very carefully, that is a boards.ie logo on the window of my car

Does that give you access to secret shortcuts à la Stonecutters?

Happy Delayed Solstice Celebration Day, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Yesterday I was strolling by the Augustinian church in Galway and glanced in. The sun was streaming through the stained glass and it was very beautiful. So I went up the steps and looked in from the porch for a minute. As I left a Holy Joe (and general sleaze bag) neighbour of Mrs_A's parents was coming in and greeted me with a shocked expression, being well aware of my views on religion.

The confusion and speculation this will have caused pleases me immensely.

Happy Delayed Solstice Celebration Day, everyone!

And a merry Saturnalia right back at you. Bottoms UP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My two year old put the Christ in our Christmas this morning by insisting on watching the Anglican Christmas service on the BBC. In fairness to him, when I was flicking through the channels there was a man in a turkey suit doing the birdie dance in the middle of a live nativity to the strains of a rock(ish) band playing carols so it would have seemed intriguing to someone too young to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

iguana wrote: »
    My two year old put the Christ in our Christmas this morning by insisting on watching the Anglican Christmas service on the BBC. In fairness to him, when I was flicking through the channels there was a man in a turkey suit doing the birdie dance in the middle of a live nativity to the strains of a rock(ish) band playing carols so it would have seemed intriguing to someone too young to know better.

I expect that the attraction will pass. Two year old is about the correct age for interest in such matters. :pac:

iguana wrote: »

Less like C of E and more like C of E'zer Good...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Picked up a bottle of O'Hara's Leann Follain limited edition whiskey barrel aged stout for me for tomorrow too :)
    A little expensive, but quite tasty :)

Bing-bong. Time for thread reanimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bing-bong. Time for thread reanimation.

Will watch with interest as you Athiests rehash the posts of the last 4years :)

Only 17 days to go!

Will watch with interest as you Athiests rehash the posts of the last 4years :)

Only 17 days to go!

Hey. It's tradition. Something I am fairly sure you are familiar with. :D

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hey. It's tradition. Something I am fairly sure you are familiar with. :D

MrP

Only one answer to that......."bah humbug";)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Only one answer to that......."bah humbug";)

I quite like humbugs.

• Advertisement

I hope everyone is all set for Slightly Delayed Winter Solstice Cultural Celebration Day :)

Turkey stuffed and prepped ready for the oven, kids fast asleep, Santa presents all laid out and... the O'Hara's stout left for the red suited gent himself has been opened :eek:

On a less happy note I see that Bannasidhe hasn't posted on boards in six months - hope she and her loved ones are keeping well.

Advertisement