Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Xena takes pride of place on top of my tree

Eric Cartman on ours with a nice orange robe for that Buddha look, my eldest having an on again, off again fling with Buddhism. Might try and get one of these cuties for this year;

Santa-Bender-Father-Christmas-Futurama.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Go talk to the American christians then, they created the phrase.

No they didn't. Christians prefer Christmas.

Still I see the war on Christmas is going badly, November has clearly unconditionally surrendered. Halloween is probably saving us from Christmas in October - shops have only so much space for promotions.

What's funny about some Christian responses to this "war" is we should be fasting. For advent. I think. If that has even started yet. There is a Christmas war on advent, December and November and Christmas is winning.

I mean I love Christmas but keep it to 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still I see the war on Christmas is going badly, November has clearly unconditionally surrendered. Halloween is probably saving us from Christmas in October - shops have only so much space for promotions.

Nah, October is under siege already with many shops stocking Christmas items from early October.

Halloween could eventually go extinct and then finally the Christians will get their way and wipe out the pagan festival of Halloween...something thats been in the works for thousands of years,. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

I mean I love Christmas but keep it to 2 weeks.

I agree with this, I love Christmas (it just seems to generate a great atmosphere) but hate the fact its advertised so early!! I'm waiting for the time when I turn on the TV January 2nd and see an advert for the following Christmas....you know it'll happen!!

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Christmas? Is that the religious version of Hogswatch? :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

koth wrote: »
    Christmas? Is that the religious version of Hogswatch? :P
    No, Hogswatch is on December 32 apparently.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfather

• Registered Users Posts: 34,223 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might have a go at this - if I can get the parts :rolleyes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-Tree-Topper/

F9V4HGBG33OQ8TX.SQUARE2.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Im really looking forward to this pagan festival, already watching the Holly flourish. ..

http://www.controverscial.com/Holly.htm

Hail the holly king...

Geomy wrote: »
    Im really looking forward to this pagan festival, already watching the Holly flourish. ..

http://www.controverscial.com/Holly.htm

Hail the holly king...
    ... so it's the solstice that you're looking forward to then?

ninja900 wrote: »
    Might have a go at this - if I can get the parts :rolleyes:
    ... I hope that you don't get the noodley appendages hopelessly tangled up!!!:)

• Advertisement

J C wrote: »
    ... I hope that you don't get the noodley appendages hopelessly tangled up!!!:)

It's no harm - increasingly disordered states are thermodynamically inevitable.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I love St.Stephens day because my name is Stephen and it makes me feel special.

If you changed your name to Thur you could feel special every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I don't believe in jesus but I celebrate Christmas. It is a bit hypocritical if we're being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yellow121 wrote: »
    I don't believe in jesus but I celebrate Christmas. It is a bit hypocritical if we're being honest.

No it isn't. There was been a mid-winter festival long before there were Christians. It's just that these days people think you're being awkward if you call it Yule because they don't think about the fact that Christianity didn't invent solstice parties.

kylith wrote: »
    No it isn't. There was been a mid-winter festival long before there were Christians. It's just that these days people think you're being awkward if you call it Yule because they don't think about the fact that Christianity didn't invent solstice parties.

When did you find out Yule existed? It's an excuse to cover the hypocrasy but who cares? It's ok to be hypocrites sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's not hypocrisy if you don't celebrate the Christian bits. There's almost no 'original' Christian part of Christmas anyway, so it's very easy to be consistent while enjoying the celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't remember exactly when I found out about Yule, it was after I learned about Christmas as I was raised in a Catholic house. I know I've always known of Yule, but it was probably when I started wondering if it was hypocritical to 'celebrate' Christmas that I learned of Yule as a pre-Christian mid-winter festival.

I don't think that it is hypocritical in anything other than using the word Christmas when we don't believe in Christ. I'd happily call it something else if I didn't know from experience that wishing people a Happy Solstice gets you called everything from a 'pretentious twat' to 'Christian hating', and that was just my family!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pfff, the bible says christmas trees are forbidden anyway
    We're not the hypocrites :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

True. most kids were raised to celebrate Santa day :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'm an atheist, but yet I think there was historically a person called Jesus of nazareth(or however that's spelled)...believe they found proof he existed...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm an atheist, but yet I think there was historically a person called Jesus of nazareth(or however that's spelled)...believe they found proof he existed...

I believe they didn't but there are still a few recently published history journals awaiting my perusal in the downstairs loo so I may have missed this 'proof'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I believe they didn't but there are still a few recently published history journals awaiting my perusal in the downstairs loo so I may have missed this 'proof'.

Ok I remember reading something were they were certain to have had proof he was a real person...

We all celebrate christmas because it's what we grew up doing and it's what everyone else does. It's fun, it's hypocritical but still fun.
    And I think there was a man called jesus but he didn't have the powers they wrote about. He was just a simple carpenter but did some magic tricks on the side. It got greatly exagerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe Jesus's miracles were embellished accounts of his and the disciples' piss-ups? :pac:

Maybe Jesus's miracles were embellished accounts of his and the disciples' piss-ups? :pac:

When they say he was walking on water he was probably just dancing in a puddle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

When they say he was walking on water he was probably just dancing in a puddle.

I tried walking on water many many years ago - coincidentally it was the same night I invented many many new and interesting cocktails. I did quite well as it happens and after a good run up I got about four feet out before I sank like a stone and had to walk many many miles home in soaking wet Dr Martens. To make it worse the dunking sobered me up :(.

*nostalgic sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

We all celebrate christmas because it's what we grew up doing and it's what everyone else does. It's fun, it's hypocritical but still fun.
    And I think there was a man called jesus but he didn't have the powers they wrote about. He was just a simple carpenter but did some magic tricks on the side. It got greatly exagerated.

I don't think its hypocritical to celebrate a gathering of family and friends at the darkest time of the year. It makes for fun, merriment, love and good memories. Often there is kindness shown to others in the community e.g. the inviting of people who live alone to your house to have a nice meal and some company, to give back to your community or society.
    Call it Christmas (out of habit if you must) call it what you will but there is nothing hypocritical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Pfff, the bible says christmas trees are forbidden anyway
    We're not the hypocrites :D

It also abhors celebrating births too, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I tried walking on water many many years ago - coincidentally it was the same night I invented many many new and interesting cocktails. I did quite well as it happens and after a good run up I got about four feet out

It's the Messiah!

followers_2023036i.jpg

Lead us oh great one!

Advertisement