Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    Fur coat and no knickers :pac:

Or as my Nan used to say 'piss elegant'.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

I had a little look around and haven't seen this article posted yet. Harris offers an interesting perspective on the whole lying to your children about Santa (and other mythical things), and whether or not it has a lasting affect on them. Has anyone read the book?

So... those of you who have little'uns, does Santa exist in your household?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lub wrote: »
    I had a little look around and haven't seen this article posted yet. Harris offers an interesting perspective on the whole lying to your children about Santa (and other mythical things), and whether or not it has a lasting affect on them. Has anyone read the book?

Yep, we still have Santa, against my better judgement. Problem comes with peers, friends and other young family members. Your kid says there's no Santa and they're creating a veritable shítstorm for the other parents, which goes down like a lead balloon. Much worse than saying there's no God, which no one really seems to care about any more.

I read the linked article, a bit preachy some kind of wonderful for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yeah, but not sure how much longer it's going to last, as the other kids in their classes don't get Santa. One of the fathers flat out told my son last year 'That was just your father'. Could have killed him!

7 year old Hermoine discussed the existence of Santa with my thiest (but now seriously doubting...so maybe now agnostic) OH over the weekend.

H: 'Some people say there is no Santa.'

OH: 'Some people say there is no God as well'

H: ' Ha - God...where's the proof like? Sure who cares if there is a God or not. Makes no difference. But Santa...whole different story there.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At least Santa brings actual stuff, not vague promises of an afterlife. And Santa doesn't have a hissy fit and drown you if you're naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

lazygal wrote: »
    At least Santa brings actual stuff, not vague promises of an afterlife. And Santa doesn't have a hissy fit and drown you if you're naughty.

He gets Black Petey to bate the crap out of ye instead!! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

smacl wrote: »
    Yep, we still have Santa, against my better judgement. Problem comes with peers, friends and other young family members. Your kid says there's no Santa and they're creating a veritable shítstorm for the other parents, which goes down like a lead balloon. Much worse than saying there's no God, which no one really seems to care about any more.

I read the linked article, a bit preachy some kind of wonderful for my tastes.

I agree, it's almost a social obligation to encourage your child to believe in Santa, and like Harris said it does obviously make Christmas that little bit more magical for them. But as he also said, and I think this was the best point he made in the article, believing that Spiderman exists would make day-to-day life that much more magical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gonna drag this thread off topic (Mod Abuse #135789.3)

What do ye guys think of the Dinovember thing then? The idea of having kids believe the toy dinosaurs are alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jernal wrote: »
    What do ye guys think of the Dinovember thing then? The idea of having kids believe the toy dinosaurs are alive.
    Less itchy than Movember for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I agree, it's almost a social obligation to encourage your child to believe in Santa, and like Harris said it does obviously make Christmas that little bit more magical for them. But as he also said, and I think this was the best point he made in the article, believing that Spiderman exists would make day-to-day life that much more magical too.

Kids worlds are full of fantasy and make believe. If he didn't bring presents, no way could the fat elderly bearded dude in a red suit compete with likes of Spiderman, Doctor Who or even Katniss. I don't think they give a damn what the grown ups say is true or not. I strongly suspect that many of them maintain the santa myth to keep their parents happy (and the presents coming) as much as the reverse. They're also lie to a greater or lesser extent from a young age, as any parent who's asked their kids if they've brushed their teeth before going to bed will tell you. I somehow doubt that removing Santa from the scene would change that.

Jernal wrote: »
    Gonna drag this thread off topic (Mod Abuse #135789.3)

Insanely jealous that I didn't think of that.

Although the Killer Potato lie I used to keep young Sonofmine from exploring basement of old house we owned with ancient but still live fuse box still makes me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Project FSM is go :cool:

281407.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There is nothing on this earth that cannot be improved with googly eyes:

Breakfast.

Babies.

Jesus.

Pope John Paul II.

Edit: Actually there aren't nearly enough religious pictures and paintings with googly eyes slapped on. I may have to do something about that. Man, how tempting it is to wander in to a cathedral during a quiet time and visit the stations of the cross with a tube of pritt-stick and a bag of googly eyes...

Sarky wrote: »

Breakfast.

Babies.

Jesus.

Pope John Paul II.

Edit: Actually there aren't nearly enough religious pictures and paintings with googly eyes slapped on. I may have to do something about that. Man, how tempting it is to wander in to a cathedral during a quiet time and visit the stations of the cross with a tube of pritt-stick and a bag of googly eyes...

I hear-by name this Post-Modern Iconoclasm and by virtue of the Talking Head status conferred on me by many degrees and the like in both Art and History to be a) The defining art movement of the opening decades of the 21st century, b) An expression of the people's dissatisfaction with the Church of Rome akin to the Iconoclasm of the Reformation period, c) A re-imagining of the principles of Dada, and d) Sounding like jolly good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    7 year old Hermoine discussed the existence of Santa with my thiest (but now seriously doubting...so maybe now agnostic) OH over the weekend.

H: 'Some people say there is no Santa.'

OH: 'Some people say there is no God as well'

H: ' Ha - God...where's the proof like? Sure who cares if there is a God or not. Makes no difference. But Santa...whole different story there.'

And the children shall lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

smacl wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that many of them maintain the santa myth to keep their parents happy (and the presents coming) as much as the reverse. They're also lie to a greater or lesser extent from a young age, as any parent who's asked their kids if they've brushed their teeth before going to bed will tell you. I somehow doubt that removing Santa from the scene would change that.

Dat's Me! I was five when I found out, was still awake when my father snuck in Christmas eve with the presents. Kept schtum until I was 11.

5.5 year old Mini-Miss said she 'doesn't really believe in Santa the rest of the year'
    but 'kind of does at this part of the year'

Life ain't always empty.

t76OeYPTEn-2.png

Man, how tempting it is to wander in to a cathedral during a quiet time and visit the stations of the cross with a tube of pritt-stick and a bag of googly eyes...

It's a temptation that can only be dealt with one day at a time ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ninja900 wrote: »
    Project FSM is go :cool:

Ooohh!
    I'm dying to see the finished product.
    Be sure to post up a pic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

lazygal wrote: »

You never heard of the eastern European version where st Nicholas's (Santa) demon helper gives coal to bad children and his angel helper gives presents to good children

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You never heard of the eastern European version where st Nicholas's (Santa) demon helper gives coal to bad children and his angel helper gives presents to good children
    Are you equating giving naughty children coal with a toys out of the pram mass extinction event?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Are you equating giving naughty children coal with a toys out of the pram mass extinction event?

MrP

Huh?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

aren't Eastern Euopean countries very cold at Christmas? Sounds like a very good + practical present. Bad kids stay warm at Christmas!

If you can read this, you're too close!

Is that why Russia has such a problem with homophobic bigoted arseholes today? Some sort of festive natural selection?

Is that why Russia has such a problem with homophobic bigoted arseholes today? Some sort of festive natural selection?

I'd say this forum has its fair share of bigots as well ...must be all Russian:)

Oh, most of the bigots here usually head back to the Christianity forum before long. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Oh, most of the bigots here usually head back to the Christianity forum before long. :pac:

I think some of them only come for the biscuits.

koth wrote: »
    Bad kids stay warm at Christmas!

Bad adults stay warm in eternity ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd say this forum has its fair share of bigots as well ...must be all Russian:)
    Ну, кто? Я вас слушаю!

Advertisement