Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Calibos wrote: »
    In no way am I interpretting the FI ramping as meaning a damn thing but what kind of charts were coming out on the 13th of November 2010? Or did the magic charts hinting at what was to come not appear till closer to that magic night of the 26th of November. Its mad when one thinks about it. This time 3 years ago we were slightly less than only 2 weeks away from the beginning of a month long snowmageddon :D

[EDIT] Found It

ie. even this time 3 years ago the signs were there.

yes interesting read. I remember from looking at some research data, that the ECMWF 32dayer picked up a trend towards significant cold anomalies as much as 3 weeks in advance. However this level of forecast accuracy is not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Ah Lads is the excitement building?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I caught this one while glancing through the thread.

Sorry Ken :D

3rd December 2010

Kenring
    Rather deafening silence on this forum now, now that the cold is abating somewhat, as predicted, both in solar and lunar terms.
    Solar because the sun is warming up in its new cycle 24, albeit very gradually over the next 18 months, and lunar because we are moving away from the both perigee/northern declination combination that always brings a rush of colder air southwards from the Pole.
    The last days of November were in our predictions for the cold spell, and it was always only going to be temporary. It probably won't be as cold again until the end of December. It doesn't mean Caribbean temperatures will suddenly descend on Ireland, but it does bode well for the trend forecast for winter, that is that cold intervals would alternate with milder ones, and that end of October, end of November and end of December/early January temperatures would be the periods that would define the extent of the season's cold, and overall it may not turn out to be the record cold season for Ireland that those well-paid experts misled everyone about. Perhaps they will be proven correct in the long run, we shall see, but so far I think not.
    As to the silence here, could be something about cats and tongues..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948304&page=64

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I haven't seen anything saying that we're heading for snowmageddon so I refuse to get excited yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything saying that we're heading for snowmageddonso I refuse to get excited yet!

Its more so the evolution of the charts into #WINTERMODE . Heres how id summarise this evenings charts.
    • Low min temps for all by day and frost to -3, -4 for inland areas.
    • Wintery showers in the north ,hail , snow and even GRAUPLE at low levels there.
    • Some showers for the east possible from the ECM as WC pointed out with more of the NE flow .

• ..... Rain for Cork :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I caught this one while glancing through the thread.

Sorry Ken :D

3rd December 2010

Kenring

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948304&page=64

Vintage Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I think it's unfair to single Ken out. If a certain someones LR forecast was quoted in the same light I don't think we'd be seeing quite the same response on here. In conclusion all LR forecasts are a waste of time no matter who supplies them

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

relaxed wrote: »
    Vintage Ken

In fairness to Ken, it does show the perils of long range forecasting, by which I mean anything outside a reliable time frame of about 10 days.

Which makes Gerry Fleming's recent statement about there being no big freeze this winter, frankly, outrageous. :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Weathering wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to single Ken out. If a certain someones LR forecast was quoted in the same light I don't think we'd be seeing quite the same response on here. In conclusion all LR forecasts are a waste of time no matter who supplies them

Could not have put it better myself.............;)

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

derekon wrote: »
    In fairness to Ken, it does show the perils of long range forecasting, by which I mean anything outside a reliable time frame of about 10 days.

Which makes Gerry Fleming's recent statement about there being no big freeze this winter, frankly, outrageous. :D

D

Actually I am quiet happy with Gerrys forecast. Fate has a habit of slapping experts in the face, so hopefully it will be a long hard cold winter.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Its more so the evolution of the charts into #WINTERMODE . Heres how id summarise this evenings charts.
    • Wintery showers in the north ,hail , snow and even GRAUPLE at low levels there.
    • Some showers for the east possible from the ECM as WC pointed out with more of the NE flow .

You've proved my point then - nothing to get excited about for us Rebels.... :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

What? Not even a bit of snizzle or even Shleet?! :mad:

I'm with leahyl on this one. I think this cold snap won't be much more than a short Arctic blast, with wintry showers confined to high ground mostly. Most of this cold spell is also a long way of in meteorological terms, and a lot can change for better or for worse.

I certainly do hope it plays out though. Always nice to have a good, biting start to winter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Here's what Sodium Polyacrylate can do. Might get people a bit giddy....

GC5CUC4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Oh i know right ... this one especially is a beaut! ;)

Golf-Cart2.jpg

Dog ham typo ;)

What? Not even a bit of snizzle or even Shleet?! :mad:

I'm with leahyl on this one. I think this cold snap won't be much more than a short Arctic blast, with wintry showers confined to high ground mostly. Most of this cold spell is also a long way of in meteorological terms, and a lot can change for better or for worse.

I certainly do hope it plays out though. Always nice to have a good, biting start to winter. :)

Think this chart from the 18z GFS , show my summary... perfectly... :P

280177.png

All in all , next week will be interesting , mainly for model watching... lamppost watch for people in the north though...

Ps ... my F12 key has been woken up from hibernation today! :D

Met eireann dont seem to fussed by next weeks weather other than it turning a bit colder.
    Will we be lamppost watching in the northeast ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Does anyone know where we can bulk order F5 buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Smidge wrote: »
    Does anyone know where we can bulk order F5 buttons?

Save your energy for the snow and get this extension installed!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/oilipfekkmncanaajkapbpancpelijih?hl=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

There's a "reload every" plug-in for Firefox, too.

Looks like MT is going with a warming trend after Wednesday next week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like MT is going with a warming trend after Wednesday next week :(
    Yeah looks like the models are teasing us early this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Yeah looks like the models are teasing us early this year...
    I bet you he will be wrong:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

6z GFS is pretty good for cold. FI is interesting an easterly sets up after the northerly and heights build in Scandanavia. This initially draws in air which is nothing special in terms of cold uppers. But as the run goes on cold air pours down around the block and crawls west across Russia and Europe frame by frame. It's salivating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A cold spell/snap is all but certain now for early next week. Whether is lasts 2 days or 4 days etc. is not known yet, and whether the pattern changes enough to allow a more significant cold spell following that is even more of an unknown. Sub-zero temperatures at night away coastal areas, getting down to -4 or a bit lower is possible, so fairly widespread frosts. In terms of snowfall potential, high ground in northern and northwest areas most likely to see some snow, possible at times at lower levels but I wouldn't expect too much of that.

A cold spell/snap is all but certain now for early next week. Whether is lasts 2 days or 4 days etc. is not known yet, and whether the pattern changes enough to allow a more significant cold spell following that is even more of an unknown. Sub-zero temperatures at night away coastal areas, getting down to -4 or a bit lower is possible, so fairly widespread frosts. In terms of snowfall potential, high ground in northern and northwest areas most likely to see some snow, possible at times at lower levels but I wouldn't expect too much of that.

Exactly my thoughts on the cold snap to come too :)

After the 20th some fun has being showing up in the models , and heres a great post ( snow bunny bias ) by Steve Murr on NetWeather

Add another to the list

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gensnh-0-1-144.png?6

06z control seeing the light- so much so we get the optimum of a fully cut off GH at 144.

Huge upgrades today in what people are seeing from the models, ALL based on them seeing what is really happening V what they thought was going to happen-

Lets cast our minds back to 2010

13th nov 2010 00z GFS 192
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2010111300-0-192.png?0 ridging NE over Greenland

14th nov 2010 00z GFS 168
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2010111400-0-168.png?0
    Blocking WAA more vertical

15th Nov 2010 00 GFS 144
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2010111500-0-144.png?0 Even More vertical

16th Nov 2010 00z GFS 120
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2010111600-0-120.png?0 Totally vertical

** hang on where did the Aleutian High appear from?
    Next day 17th Nov 00z GFS 96
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2010111700-0-96.png?0

& ACTUAL 20th
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/2010/archivesnh-2010-11-21-0-0.png

Same today - arctic High suddenly being modelling from nowhere will also support the ridging Northwards-

Expect upgrades for the next 48 hours as everything 'sharpens up' North South' rather than west east, expect the high to get the southern tip to Greenland before shearing east towards Svalbard & Norway....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=7&ech=6&carte=1&mode=0

so last one from me- this is where its at- the November 2010 run- very very plausible....

S

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

It's vintage weather watching, model scanning stuff at the moment, and a real pleasure to come on here and see people discuss it. Though the tipping point is approaching when the analysis will soon be drowned out by the timeless cry...'Yo weather nerds, Any snow for Laois?'

I no this much. No snow for cork, not for the next ten years lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Pity that Western Russia is so behind snow wise! Not really an issue with the next cold snap however due to it being arctic air.

Great forecast from simon keeling just now. Looking good for next week and might be getting a blast from the east after the first week of dec

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement