Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain wrote: »
    Lowell maybe no met stations did but many places saw higher totals than those.

Max snow depth at a Met Eireann station in 2010 was 27cm at Casement. Most stations recorded depths below 20cm. Significant yes, but not a one off event in terms of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That 38cm at Malin Head on 19/1/1958 is worth a visit to the archives, looks to me that a polar low aka The Holy Grail was responsible.
    not a bad Greenie too!
    Rrea00119580119.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

has anyone moved the IOM yet? dont wanna be in its shadow this year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Max snow depth at a Met Eireann station in 2010 was 27cm at Casement. Most stations recorded depths below 20cm. Significant yes, but not a one off event in terms of snowfall.

I had over 40cm and I know areas that saw more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

has anyone moved the IOM yet? dont wanna be in its shadow this year

Why, are you in Barrow in Furness? ;)

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I had over 40cm and I know areas that saw more.

I don't doubt it, but it's best to use the met eireann records when comparing events back over history since they have established records going back decades and beyond, without the variability of private weather records which come and go.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that 2010 was not a one off in terms of snowfall, it was just the most significant snowfall since the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It was rare in terms of cold, but not in terms of snowfall. Neither 2009 nor 2010 broke any of the 50 year snow depth records at these Met Eireann stations.

53279.jpeg

Anyone know / remember this 26cm snow event in Cork in 1978 (I aas a baba then)? First I have heard of it. Higher even than the famous 82 snow in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

2009 was ment to be a one off then 2010 happened. back to back cold winters.
    A cold winter like them can happen any time

Yes at anytime but not very often. Odds are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Correct me if I'm wrong but does this look food for cold And i no its way out. This Is from my GFS app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

MT does not seem convinced of any major cold outbreaks anytime soon according to his daily forecast. Still interesting to see how this will pan out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Anyone got a link to MTs winter forecast for 2013/14.Read it already but cant find it now .Thanx in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Anyone got a link to MTs winter forecast for 2013/14.Read it already but cant find it now .Thanx in advance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87053334&postcount=299

jaffusmax wrote: »
    MT does not seem convinced of any major cold outbreaks anytime soon according to his daily forecast. Still interesting to see how this will pan out!

There is no sign of any major cold outbreaks, but the models have been hinting at an Atlantic ridge building which could bring a short cold spell in the second half of the month from a northerly. But it's November so not likely to be potent even if it did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A northerly in November would likely just bring hail and sleet showers I would think, sea temps are still too warm for proper cold air to survive the journey. There'd probably be snow reports somewhere but nothing worth getting excited about, you'd want a sustained cold feed a la Nov 2010 to have meaningful snow this early in the season

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it looking better than this time last year. Last year nov was very mild even into early December. So is it looking better this year so far for cold weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

jaffusmax wrote: »
    so far he has been wrong. its nearing the middle of November and it hasnt been exactly mild as he predicted. Most places are below their mean. This cool zonal pattern appears to be going no where fast at the moment.Of course their is always the second part which could change but I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it looking better than this time last year. Last year nov was very mild even into early December. So is it looking better this year so far for cold weather ?
    According to the Met Eireann most places were at least a degree below the mean for November 2012. So there are similarities with this year so far ( Met Eireann Monthly data)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

To be honest I wouldn't mind an anticyclonic end to the month, sunny days and cool nights to bring out those autumn colours even more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A lot has to do with the way everyday people see the weather some will think its cold some think its mild,I for one thinks it is your normal autumn/winter so far.Also i think we will have a white christmas this year just a hunch by me but some long range models seem to be hinting at a cold spell around that time

Look at this. I no it's at 324h but looks great.

• Advertisement

Look at this. I no it's at 324h but looks great.

Just wind and rain unless you live on the top of a mountain. That won't happen anyway, the GFS often throws up huge lows like that at in the low resolution part of the run.

Just wind and rain unless you live on the top of a mountain. That won't happen anyway, the GFS often throws up huge lows like that at in the low resolution part of the run.

I'm still learning to read these charts. I thought the direction of wind and the blue colours ment cold and maybe some snow. :( my bad

I'm still learning to read these charts. I thought the direction of wind and the blue colours ment cold and maybe some snow. :( my bad

Cold, but upper air temps or -2/-3, in November and being mixed over the Atlantic would only produce rain. Would be snow on hills and mountains though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Would be squally showers of rain, hail and sleet at low lying areas with that chart. 500 hPa charts show sub -35 temperatures so that cold would be dragged down during heavy showers. NW gales, squally showers and associated windchill would make it miserable weather. Anyways pointless as its a 300 hr chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

keep up the good work. Personally I said stay away from the charts. They suck you in with something crazy at 300+ hours, before you know it you are in March and Christmas is a blur.

for cold weather you'd want the air to be travelling over as little sea as possible. East being best, south west being worst.

Your chart would be misery for 99% of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I love people who base their theory on an event like a white Xmas on a 'hunch'. I prefer to use probability and historical data which would lead me to predict a winter of generally dull mild and wet punctured from time to time with colder snaps bringing frost and on occasion wintry showers to higher elevations.

I love people who base their theory on an event like a white Xmas on a 'hunch'. I prefer to use probability and historical data which would lead me to predict a winter of generally dull mild and wet punctured from time to time with colder snaps bringing frost and on occasion wintry showers to higher elevations.

So a typical winter. Not much predicting so lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

my hunch does involve some use of long range charts ,your probably right with probability and historical data ,but for me i don't follow that way of weather prediction , i like to look at medium to long range forecasts to find a trend and use my 'hunch';)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Met Eireann were on the radio there and Gerry Flemming reckons we will not have a severe winter, and it could be quite mild, I hope it is all lies though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Xenji wrote: »
    Met Eireann were on the radio there and Gerry Flemming reckons we will not have a severe winter, and it could be quite mild, I hope it is all lies though :pac:

That's just an opinion...not a forecast.

I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in the old 'we do not look beyond 5 to 10 days' caveat somewhere in the interview?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement