Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 matciv

Joe seems to think we are in for a cold December, is he usually accurate with his predictions?

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi 16h
    Make sure the Turbines are working Europe,cold is coming and become king in December pic.twitter.com/sPt2XCbSN2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

GFS and ECM still showing a cold northerly for midweek. Might be snow down to low enough levels in Ulster, but I guess warmish sea temps may modify the airflow despite cold uppers. Be interesting nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A genuine chance for some snow showers at times in the north and northwest if the 0Z GFS verified. These details can change a lot 24 hours out though, and this is still about a week away, so no details nailed, but a colder spell/snap does look quite likely now, though it may be just a couple of days.

XX2jHRi.png

A genuine chance for some snow showers at times in the north and northwest if the 0Z GFS verified. These details can change a lot 24 hours out though, and this is still about a week away, so no details nailed, but a colder spell/snap does look quite likely now, though it may be just a couple of days.

XX2jHRi.png

Ireland getting the bulk of the cold uppers there. More snow potential than the UK for sure. And would you believe it I am due to be in England on the day in question

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely Jubbly! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

How is the northeast looking for some snow

How is the northeast looking for some snow

Based on current output there's a chance that some people in the north east will see some snow (falling at least) especially on higher ground mid week. Now, that is 7 days away though. So be very cautious before telling your friends ;)

But those charts look sweet for cold. -9 uppers aint nothing to be sniffed at...bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bank and lets roll with that chart! :p

That chart would deliver some beefy showers (rain, hail, sleet and maybe even snow/thunder) to the Dublin area, south of Dublin would be in the IOM shadow and north of Dublin would be in the shadow of NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Apparently, much colder weather expected from early next week according to Met Eireann website. Long way away but is that the real start of winter emerging. I remember legendary Winter of 2010 / 2011 started getting really cold around that exact time in November. Soon find out i suppose, will never forget that winter, doubt we will ever get that white a Christmas again, I remember about 35cm of snow in the garden in Dubiln on Christmas day 2010

The GFS is showing the legendary Greenland High in FI, yet the upper air circulating over us looks much less cold than next weeks northerly. There's very little cold to tap into in the east at the moment. Though that will change quickly if the atlantic influence is held at bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

dopolahpec wrote: »
    The GFS is showing the legendary Greenland High in FI, yet the upper air circulating over us looks much less cold than next weeks northerly. There's very little cold to tap into in the east at the moment. Though that will change quickly if the atlantic influence is held at bay

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Snow line in Russia is low for this time of year. Agree with you Dopolahpec, just do not think it will be in time this side of xmas. I see it helping us out in Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Charts are showing a brief cold snap just outside a reliable time-frame, don't get carried away with media hype.

Those of you that are new to weather model watching prepare to be disappointed over and over again and for those of you who are veteran's you have the war wounds and should know FI is a dark place place that leaves you scarred!!

Villain wrote: »
    Charts are showing a brief cold snap just outside a reliable time-frame, don't get carried away with media hype.

Those of you that are new to weather model watching prepare to be disappointed over and over again and for those of you who are veteran's you have the war wounds and should know FI is a dark place place that leaves you scarred!!

Who's getting carried away? Or are you giving yourself a pep-talk? I think people are excited not because they think it's going to snow next week, though it may, but because winter hasn't even started and the charts are full of promise. The possible cold-snap may be brief but there's no sign of any long lasting warm snap to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

tumblr_lmhme9jkQ61qii6tmo1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

True , we all know to look at the trends of multiple runs instead of eye candy of single time frames...

Heres a the latest 06z GFS ensembles . Alot going for the brief coldsnap that it is. I Dont expect snow here from a northerly but will welcome frost and ice if anything :) , snow for the northern hills and lower places too if theres a nice fresh striaght breeze in the flow .
    280107.png

520 dam line across most of the country for the day :)
    280108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Who's getting carried away? Or are you giving yourself a pep-talk? I think people are excited not because they think it's going to snow next week, though it may, but because winter hasn't even started and the charts are full of promise. The possible cold-snap may be brief but there's no sign of any long lasting warm snap to follow.

Well it was a little bit in jest really but every year here people get excited at whats in FI and then moan when it doesn't happen. It's great to look at and discuss but I was just advising people not to get too excited at FI really :)

Well it was a little bit in jest really but every year here people get excited at whats in FI and then moan when it doesn't happen. It's great to look at and discuss but I was just advising people not to get too excited at FI really :)

Personally, I think an upgrade to this is brewing :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Would love to see a bit of sea convection this early in the season. Even though something exceptional is needed at this time of the year to see lying snow at sea-level, the still relatively warm sea can set off some nice fireworks...strong hefty showers and interesting nowcasting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the ecm 32 dayer and the long range uk met office outlook did not point to anything colder a week or so ago, so with this in mind how can we trust Gerald Fleming when he states that he see no signs this winter will be a cold one - afterall Met Eireann is always at pains to point out that the furthest they can extend their outlook to is two weeks:confused:

anyway, it looks like senor pangea's country, Donegal, might be the place to be next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be some nice thunderstorm activity in the North-West next week too perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surprised nobody has commented on a few interesting runs tonight.

UKM looks cold and now getting in to the more reliable time frames.

Rukm1201.gif

Rukm1441.gif

Iceland could be down to -16 in some parts next week, the winds look to be pointing south and west too.

That is very low for this time of year.

A good sign for myself. :)

ECM would create some heavy wintry showers for the east if this came off, hail,sleet, even snow inland of the coast and some sparks!

ECM1-168.GIF?13-0

Where is IanCarr

Where is the RAMP :D

ECM1-192.GIF

280141.png

funny-surprise-ending-glasses.gif

EDIT : Weathercheck got there before me ! ,

HERE IT IS!!! :cool::cool::cool:

5f3a6902248a42d49d489201d814b882

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

These carts are looking great hope they don't do a u turn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Which means they prob will :-P

Oh i know right ... this one especially is a beaut! ;)

Golf-Cart2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

In no way am I interpretting the FI ramping as meaning a damn thing but what kind of charts were coming out on the 13th of November 2010? Or did the magic charts hinting at what was to come not appear till closer to that magic night of the 26th of November. Its mad when one thinks about it. This time 3 years ago we were slightly less than only 2 weeks away from the beginning of a month long snowmageddon :D

[EDIT] Found It

ie. even this time 3 years ago the signs were there.

• Advertisement

Just love this one. Taken from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948304&page=50
    would prefer to see the blocking taking place a bit later, as in other years where we had a cold end to November into early December, the winter quite often turned out to be mild overall. also, i fear it could decrease our chances of getting a white christmas. as unless we get a repeat of last year- which is highly unlikely- then the block will be dismantled well before christmas

Still i'm a bit torn about all this - snow is usually my priority, but after yesterday's storm i'm really in the mood for another storm. i suppose the compromise solution would be a stormy winter at times which is then followed by snowy periods.

everybody wins- except those rare people who like mild and settled weather:p

so in conclusion let's hope the low solar activity plays a greater influence this winter than other global signals, which are suggesting it will be mild overall after a cold start.. the low solar activity certainly seemed to have had quite impact last year, where some were saying it was set to be a mild winter!

Upgrades from now on, the longer this trend goes on the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement