Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards cycle against cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    yop wrote: »
    People can decide for themselves what they want to do in that regard, let it be fully and wholly inclusive, cancer doesn't select on ability, so whether a person has the ability to do howth hill or the Sally Gap shouldn't scare them off.
    Goal of this is to get as many of the boards.ie "peleton" out on the day and to raise awareness and money for Padraigs charity.

I was only messing, I'm sure this'll be a great spin and the lads will have a route planned for everyone's ability.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I was only messing, I'm sure this'll be a great spin and the lads will have a route planned for everyone's ability.

No sorry, when I read over my post I thought "Di*K head", so sorry if it came over that way :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

common Dundrum -Wicklow- Dundrum:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    Just for clarity...Unless you wanna go solo there is no plan to go over Howth head. It may not be practable/safe if numbers are in anyway big and if it chosen.
    As YOP said its for awarenes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Monday 28th October
    im not sure if ill make this but would like to. ive donated a few bob either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Let's have a long, bitter debate about the route. It's traditional!

I don't care tbh. I just wanna hang out with you guys! No hugging ok?

Monday 28th October
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Let's have a long, bitter debate about the route. It's traditional!

I don't care tbh. I just wanna hang out with you guys! No hugging ok?

Look.
    If we are gonna have a debate about the route (wouldnt be a proper boards spin without a debate over the route) then I wanna have a fight about it. With fists.....:D
    If you are coming out with us there will be hugs. Deal with it!!!!

I think we should wait for the northsiders @ Dundrum then wait again for them up the top off the gap :D

Monday 28th October
    bcmf wrote: »
    Look.
    If we are gonna have a debate about the route (wouldnt be a proper boards spin without a debate over the route) then I wanna have a fight about it. With fists.....:D
    If you are coming out with us there will be hugs. Deal with it!!!!

I'll take ye on no bother aul fella, same with the rest of yis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Evil 200 anyone? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

For the record, I was suggesting Dundrum, Enniskerry, Glencree via the road by the waterfall, coffee stop and then home. Not over the Gap. Probably only a 40k loop from Dundrum. We barely touch toe in Wicklow. You'll be back over the border before the natives smell blood.

Some climbing but nothing with mental gradients. Plus lots of places to pull over for a breather and quiet enough for mingling, chats and special man hugs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    daragh_ wrote: »
    For the record, I was suggesting Dundrum, Enniskerry, Glencree via the road by the waterfall, coffee stop and then home. Not over the Gap. Probably only a 40k loop from Dundrum. We barely touch toe in Wicklow. You'll be back over the border before the natives smell blood.

Some climbing but nothing with mental gradients. Plus lots of places to pull over for a breather and quiet enough for mingling, chats and special man hugs.

I'm hugging no feckin townies! Us culchie boys are tough (even in lycra!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

If you're doing northside - southside it should be from/over the top of Howth Hill and Killiney Hill.

Leave from one, pick up people at the other, over and back to drop people off at their preferred hill.

For those interested in a longer spin, over and back and over and back and over.... :)

Total Raised: €193.00 come on lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I'm in. Any route away from traffic would be nice.

Monday 28th October
    Rob Fowl voting for Wicklow.
    The dissappointment runs deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Following on from Le Petit Braquets post in the adverts section I am gonna see if there is an interest in this.
    Almost everyone who will read this has been touched by cancer.I lost my mother last year,my father is currently waging a war with it.My wife lost both her parents to it.I think its safe to say everyone knows someone who has been touched by it.
    So how about we organise a spin.
    Some Sat or Sun starting in Howth for the northsiders all along the coast to the Southside where we can meet up with the southsiders then back to Howth where the northsiders can finish up and the southsiders can head back down the coast to the Southside.
    So in effect Howth - Southside point- Howth - Southside point.

Only requirement is that you make a minimum donation of €10 to LPB's charity page which is the Hospice and The Irish Cancer society who ,lets face it, provide a heroic service

Boardsie's what say you.....?

EDIT: Just adding in a few details, to see if it suits and if LPB is happy with a few details we have thrown together. Daragh_threw this idea together last night so it is only an idea so far, suggestions and improvements can be made as they come along.

Link to LPB's mycharity page

This is one smashing idea! & Surprisingly not done before afaik! I've recently lost a first-cousin to Cancer (He was some fighter, over 2years with his battle).

bcmf I am proud of you for starting this thread and for this idea.

I'm currently unable to walk more than 5mins doing errands around town such is the damage in my lumbar region. I'd give anything to be able to don the pink n green and partake in this cycle. It would be something special for me, but looking highly unlikely though I am sorry to say :(

I will click into the linkie later tonight & sponsor though,
    Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

Monday 28th October
    @kerry4sam
    dont be proud of me. I am just sitting here typing.
    We sadly know where our pride should really lie.
    With those who face the daily battle of living with cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

How's that for a loop?

http://goo.gl/maps/3Wges

That being said, I don't really know the Northside at all, so if there's a more scenic choice of roads, tweak the route!

Monday 28th October
    Right who do we need to bribe to make the opening post/whole thread Post of the day/Thread of the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Monday 28th October
    Day after the Dying Light 200. May or may not have the legs. Entry fee lodged in any case...

Monday 28th October
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Day after the Dying Light 200. May or may not have the legs. Entry fee lodged in any case...

No date has been mentioned yet.
    Which leads me to my next point.
    When?
    I wanna leave Bank Holiday Sun free as the Kevin King memorial is on then.
    So
    Sat 19th Oct
    or
    Sun 20th Oct
    or
    Oct Bank Holiday Monday
    or
    Sat 2nd Nov
    or
    Sun 3rd.

Would prefer a sat as it wont clash with x cross or any sportives
    Thoughts?

So sorry to hear about that LPB.

I'm not in great fitness on the bike but I'm in depending on the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

Monday 28th October
    I'm in depending on the dates too!! I don't my arse from my elbow in Dublin however ..

Monday 28th October
    Just a heads up, the original post has the 27th of October in as the date of the spin.

If it's any other weekend I'll be up for it, I've never done a spin longer than 40km on a fixed gear but sure isn't it all for a good cause!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

How about the bank holiday Monday, nothing happening there, I'd imagine?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Monday 28th October
    How about the bank holiday Monday, nothing happening there, I'd imagine?

I am working but dont let that hold yis back if it suits everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very upfront and humbling relevation Padraig. Puts things into perspective. Best wishes. (Due to work (13hrs) on the 27th but I might see if I can get someone else to do it for me. Donation made).
    Rob Fowl voting for Wicklow.
    The dissappointment runs deep.
    It's important for us sons of NCD to show these soft southside city slickers how it's done. We should head south taking a lap of Howth on the way and then meet them in Dundrum for a saunter to the Gap, into Laragh for cake and then return via Wicklow Gap, Blessington etc. We'll drop them off in Dundrum and then do a team time trial back to NCD.

Monday 28th October
    Very upfront and humbling relevation Padraig. Puts things into perspective. Best wishes. (Due to work (13hrs) on the 27th but I might see if I can get someone else to do it for me. Donation made).

It's important for us sons of NCD to show these soft southside city slickers how it's done. We should head south taking a lap of Howth on the way and then meet them in Dundrum for a saunter to the Gap, into Laragh for cake and then return via Wicklow Gap, Blessington etc. We'll drop them off in Dundrum and then do a team time trial back to NCD.
    I would prefer to take them on a tour of the real North County Pave. Put them back in their box then.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would prefer to take them on a tour of the real North County Pave. Put them back in their box then.:D
    Indeed...but they'd probably be asking about parking facilities at the start! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement