Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If it looks like Walt attacks his family and is taken out by Skylar or Junior she will be off the hook right?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Skylar to die somehow. Someone Walt cares about has to die I think.

Walt HAS to live to see at least one of his cared ones die. With what has happened to Jesse, Walt deserves his comeuppance. Would be very surprised if one of Skylar/ Walt JR/ Holly do not die. And would VG really go there with killing a baby or a kid with cerebral palsy... after that Andrea scene I really do not know.

Bring on the bloodbath!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

This is gonna be one hell of a finale & hopefully brilliant ending compared to the last great show that left us in the dark, literally!

Todd; 'sorry for your loss' you gotta love that guy, if there wasnt already a show called Todd & the book of Evil, he'd fit right in!

Walter's more brains than brawn, he's probably got a few things set up already, he's just got to set in in motion, as mentioned he's a different person since losing Hank & realising his family dont want him, his money stolen & find Jesse to reclaim some balance.
    Walt has nothing to lose now especially his failing health is rapidly declining, i'd say Walt will leave it all to Jesse as he's only got Brock left & he'll be the only one left standing as i'd say Walt will tell Jesse to pull the trigger on what will unfold before our very eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Vince Gilligan said he believes in karmic retribution, he's surprised that people are still rooting for Walt, said he didn't like stories where Idi Amin characters get off the hook I think he wouldn't shy away from having another of Walt's family die, Walt isn't going to walk away from it imo. Walt hates Jesse blames him for hank and the revealing of his identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fiery biscuits

The big elephant in the room (pardon the pun) is what is going to happen to poor huell.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭John Dodger

threein99 wrote: »
    It was mentioned in the TV interview with Gretchen and Elliot

You missed his point which was: did Walt know it wasn't blue all along? I don't think Lydia mentioned the colour at the car wash & as Walt had trained Todd surely he would not be surprised if it was blue.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Not really convinced to go as far as to say Walter White is gone, because I think we'll see that side of him in the finale in some way or form. Even in the flash forward, he was quite Walter White-esque, playing with his food as his family had done on previous birthdays.

We seen a sick, thinning, feeble Walt in the cabin (which I assume was a close to a year gone by, if at the diner it is his birthday and he moreless goes straight there from the bar). He had no fight or care at that stage to get revenge on the Nazis, or get back his money. All ego had to be set aside due to his sickness and circumstance. The scene at the bar, watching the interview reignited that ego, that need not to just lie down and accept the consequence.

Also, separately, I was really hoping to see Saul stand up for himself against Walt. We could see how intimidated he was by Walt still, regardless of the fact they were both now men on the run with little power remaining. That was until Walt started coughing, his sickness becoming apparent.

It wasn't a year, it was 3-4 months (confirmed on Talking Bad).

They went through a timeline of events on Talking Bad, think they said it had been three or four months at that point? I could be wrong, they definitely said that it was two or three days before his birthday when he leaves the bar.

Knowing the timeline and having watched the episode they could have done a bit better with making it clear. In the time jump last season it was pretty clearly a significant amount of time had gone past; this time it was difficult to gauge how much time went by at all, a few months, a year, it all seems possible. Throw in the fact Jesse's timeline is much shorter (the night he tries to escape is only a week after being captured) and it makes for muddled viewing really. I'm not sure how they could have made the timeline clearer and they obviously knew it was a bit confusing (after all they wouldn't have red out the timeline on Talking Bad if they thought it was clear) but I feel like they didn't try and make it that clear really. I don't work in TV though, these things are probably harder than they look.

It's not VG's style to be obvious but the timeline was pretty clear. In the last epidode Skylar mentions that Holly is 18 months. We know the finale starts on Walts 52nd birthday so we can extrapolate that he spent 3-4 months in NH.

I could be wrong but wasn't Walt actually in a relationship with Gretchen at one point? I thought I remembered a flashback scene (him explaining some formula) where it was clear they were a couple. Bit different to your best friend marrying someone you have a crush on and marrying your ex. I also had the impression (again I could be misremembering) he was forced out rather than choosing to leave. I'm less sure about that though.

It's never been made clear but we do know that Walt was still in Gray Matter when first married to Skyler.

On the train this morning going to college I let out a yelp while watch Andrea,poor Brock. That opie Bastard Todd is evil. I am 100% rooting for Heisenberg after that ending. There is only so many ways this can go now with one episode left, I really hope we get a look at those newspapers in the DVD box set special features when all this is over, so much left unsaid.

It has been over a year since Jack and the Nazis stole the money,how much of it will they have left,will they even still be there or will it just be Todd and Jessie,Walter Jr(Flynn) didn't change his name to Skylers maiden name,that is intriguing. He is also unsurprised to hear Aunt Marie is on the phone for him meaning they are still in contact.

It's not "over a year". It's 3-4 months. This is obvious to anyone following the series.

• Advertisement

True and in Breaking ad I feel the vast majority of characters won't. However, as already said, there's no way Jesse would be put through so much just to get killed off. In my opinion if they were going to kill Jesse he would have died after he was dragged from under the car. I don't think his ending will be that happy, after all the guy has spent months being tortured and kept in a cage forced to cook and he'll blame himself for Andrea's death but he'll get semblence of a life back. Some people are saying he'll get a custody of Brock but that seems unlikely to me, especially since the police are most likely after him. I'm guessing he'll get a new life from the vaccum repair guy, go to Alaska like he was meant earlier in the season.

I also can see Flynn and Skyler getting an okay ending.

How would Jessie get in touch with the vacuum repair guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's never been made clear but we do know that Walt was still in Gray Matter when first married to Skyler.

Ya I think the whole 'ex teacher turned drug kingpin' missed the point...walt is an out and out chemist first and foremost...I think he sold outhis share to elliot and gretchen to get money together after getting married. Probably from this point on he felt cheated out of his lifes work as a chemist. Hence he now feels doubly cheated watching the schwarz couple disowning him on TV AND...at the same time he now realises someone else is taking the credit for the Meth which he must realise its probably jessie (i think he knew todd couldn't get the process right).
    Hell probably seek to finalise his revenge on jessie but realise jessie has been enslaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ya I think the whole 'ex teacher turned drug kingpin' missed the point...walt is an out and out chemist first and foremost...I think he sold outhis share to elliot and gretchen to get money together after getting married. Probably from this point on he felt cheated out of his lifes work as a chemist. Hence he now feels doubly cheated watching the schwarz couple disowning him on TV AND...at the same time he now realises someone else is taking the credit for the Meth which he must realise its probably jessie (i think he knew todd couldn't get the process right).
    Hell probably seek to finalise his revenge on jessie but realise jessie has been enslaved.

Its a couple of years since I saw it so my memory might be hazy but didn't Walt and Gretchen have a thing going on and then she opted for elliot and that is why Walt bailed out of the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its a couple of years since I saw it so my memory might be hazy but didn't Walt and Gretchen have a thing going on and then she opted for elliot and that is why Walt bailed out of the company?

As i understand it Walt was with Gretchen and left her and the company for reasons unknown. Given that he feels cheated out of his share of the success my guess is he was pushed into leaving for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Someone mentioned that Gretchen's (German?) family might have something to do with things. Walt was at her house for a weekend way back when. Something happened (what exactly, Gretchen didn't and doesn't know). Walt packed up and left, leaving her, leaving Gray Matter. If Gilligan has one last surprise in this series (and when Season 5 started, I would have put money on Gus's mysterious past coming back to haunt Walt), it might be clearing up the events of that weekend in flashback and centralising the Elliott and Gretchen storyline. Gretchen's father: "Walt, I want to pitch a great opportunity for you and Gretchen. My company, Madrigal, are branching out into new areas..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The conclusion will be the Nazis telling Walt and Jesse that one of them will survive, the one that can cook the highest quality. Jesse cooks the better meth and Walt is killed.

Most hardcore edition of Masterchef ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

trashcan wrote: »
    Most hardcore edition of Masterchef ever :D
    "Cooking doesn't get tougher than this!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Madame K wrote: »
    I had the terrible feeling that Walt shows up to his destination with the big gun, has one of those coughing fits then drops dead.

Can't see this happening, if it does the term "damp squib" should be upgraded to "coughing walt"

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I seen this on reddit, the reasons Walt and Gretchen broke up are explained in this 4 year old interview.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2009/05/jessica-hecht-interview/
    But it was easy because Vince Gilligan told us exactly what went down between the characters off screen: We were very much in love and we were to get married. And he came home and met my family, and I come from this really successful, wealthy family, and that knocks him on his side. He couldn’t deal with this inferiority he felt — this lack of connection to privilege. It made him terrified, and he literally just left me, and I was devastated. Walt is fighting his way out of going back to that emotional place, so he says, “F— you.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

You missed his point which was: did Walt know it wasn't blue all along? I don't think Lydia mentioned the colour at the car wash & as Walt had trained Todd surely he would not be surprised if it was blue.

Jack told Walter when he asked him to do another cook in exchange for killing Jesse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

That was how Walt dealt with his ego back then. When he was faced with his own inferiority (or at least others' success) he hid away, couldn't face it, feared his exposure and played it safe. He hated being reminded that he wasn't at the top.

When he was diagnosed he effectively just thought "fcuk it" and decended into the mother of all nervous breakdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Anyone know how long is last episode,as i mentioned before even if they try to pack it in one hour it will feel to rushed.

As theres so many characters left
    Skyler-facing prison
    W.jr- ?
    Marie
    Nazis,lydia
    grey matter
    Jessie and those left out.
    Walt taking nazis alone would be something from Rambo movie :cool:
    And flash forward in seasons first episode is not making much sense,if person is on most wanted list,yet he roams streets like free man,as by this stage,even last episodes ending someone should cop on that he is heading back-usual criminal behavior.

Everything he done was for money,but its useless now,as no chance family could lay their hands on it, or would touch it anyway.

So answer awaits,whats the drive for him to comeback and do killings,for Hank,that was killed because of Walt making phone call ?family that wish he was dead already ?
    as by this stage only realization i see that everything that he has done is because of his own fault,stupidity,greed.

I have an awful feeling that all the loose ends and character fates might lead to one conclusion: kill most of them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Yeah good point. There is an awful lot to tie up in the last ep:

1. How will Skyler and the kids end up and what life awaits them.

2. Walt must resolve his action against the Nazis

3. Walt and Jessie must face off and have a conclusion

3. Walt has to use the ricin and sneak around town in his beat up car without getting caught

4. Walt has to use the M60s for whatever he got them for

5. Will Hanks body ever be found.

6. How will Marie end the series?

7. What happens to the money?

An awful lot to wrap up in 54minutes, he will have to use every single available second to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

scamalert wrote: »
    So answer awaits,whats the drive for him to comeback and do killings,for Hank,that was killed because of Walt making phone call ?family that wish he was dead already ?
    as by this stage only realization i see that everything that he has done is because of his own fault,stupidity,greed.

Start of the last episode he wanted to kill Jack and his crew but didnt have the manpower, i.e. asking Saul for hitmen contacts.

He goes into hiding to avoid immediate capture

After 3-4 months, the media are wondering if he's still out there suggests that the initial manhunt has been significantly scaled back. His appearance has also drastically changed i.e. weight loss, hair, scruffier clothes. People forget quickly and they arent looking for what he has become.

He still wants revenge on Jack while he is still able to do something about it. He wants his money as a matter of principle, he earned it. We know it involves ricin & m60. Saul is now presumably gone. Kuby knows where Badger & Skinny Pete are. Walt could easily manipulate them into thinking its a plan to rescue Jesse & offer them money.

Does Walt know where Lydia lives from the time they kidnapped her? He could poison/threaten to poison her kid for information on Jack, his crew and their compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Just looking at some quotes from Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and King Lear which the film references and some qoutes stood out:

“The prince of darkness is a gentleman!”
    ― William Shakespeare, King Lear

“This is the excellent foppery of the world, that,
    when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit
    of our own behavior,--we make guilty of our
    disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as
    if we were villains by necessity; fools by
    heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and
    treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards,
    liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of
    planetary influence; and all that we are evil in,
    by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion
    of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish
    disposition to the charge of a star.”
    ― William Shakespeare, King Lear

"Ingratitude, thou marble-hearted fiend,
    More hideous, when thou show'st thee in a child,
    Than the sea-monster."
    - William Shakespeare, King Lear, 1.4.283

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
    To have a thankless child!"
    - William Shakespeare, King Lear, 1.4.312

Dempsey wrote: »
    Start of the last episode he wanted to kill Jack and his crew but didnt have the manpower, i.e. asking Saul for hitmen contacts.

He goes into hiding to avoid immediate capture

After 3-4 months, the media are wondering if he's still out there suggests that the initial manhunt has been significantly scaled back. His appearance has also drastically changed i.e. weight loss, hair, scruffier clothes. People forget quickly and they arent looking for what he has become.

He still wants revenge on Jack while he is still able to do something about it. He wants his money as a matter of principle, he earned it. We know it involves ricin & m60. Saul is now presumably gone. Kuby knows where Badger & Skinny Pete are. Walt could easily manipulate them into thinking its a plan to rescue Jesse & offer them money.

Does Walt know where Lydia lives from the time they kidnapped her? He could poison/threaten to poison her kid for information on Jack, his crew and their compound.

I'm liking this...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Felina cold opening,

A close up on a little bag of blue sky sitting on a table with the sound of guns firing and tires screeching in the background. The wider picture comes into focus and it's Badger + Skinny P in Badger's basement bedroom playing GTA co-op all serious like and concentrating really hard.

Skinny P is talking all big, "This right here? We need to get some of this for real homes. We should hook up with Jesse and hustle just like we used to. I heard the dude's been riding real high now that blue's back on the street."

Badger, ".........Yeeeaaaaahhhh! :D"

*They high five*

- cut to Jesse hanging motionless from the bars of his cell from a noose made out of ripped up clothing.

(Breaking bad intro music)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I wonder why they didn't kill jessie yet,basically they achieved high percentage needed and color.So whats there left to learn from him,they could of easily killed him in last episode,since agreement was only one cook with Heisenberg.So its either they will keep jessie as last man standing-who will later kill himself overdose or smth.As keeping him to shoot just plain blank would not cause omg scene.

Also walts car was left in the desert surely someone had to find and trace it back to area where hank was killed,as when walt was leaving he turned mirrors and you could clearly see two graves,and enough evidence to suspect some gang by the amount of bullets left in the place,otherwise authorities would be portrayed as bunch of clowns in entire series,even raided house would of provided some evidence,knowing that gang is mostly ex cons.Anyway this is a bit weak link in entire series when at most you see 2 agents working empire case,unless new mexico has 2 agents in total :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

scamalert wrote: »
    I wonder why they didn't kill jessie yet,basically they achieved high percentage needed and color.So whats there left to learn from him,they could of easily killed him in last episode,since agreement was only one cook with Heisenberg.So its either they will keep jessie as last man standing-who will later kill himself overdose or smth.As keeping him to shoot just plain blank would not cause omg scene.

I think they're keeping him alive because Todd doesn't actually know how to cook the high-percentage blue meth. He's just getting Jesse to do it, but not actually trying to learn how to make it himself.

Advertisement